• Indefinable
    started a topic Ageing Gracefully.

Ageing Gracefully.

Any tips/suggestions?

(To the older members).

• Abu julaybeeb
    replied
    Originally posted by Rahma. View Post

I wonder about this vit D thing sometimes....
    Allah told the Mothers of the believers (radiyallahu 'anhunn) to stay in their houses and believing women (and men) to cover-up. So it makes me wonder because... Allah would never order something that is detrimental to the health of women (and even men)... Also, it's interesting to see how people who live in very hot countries/deserts (Bedouins), they cover up well and seem to always have done... Allahu a'lam.

doesnt mean they didnt get sunlight
    people in the west will have less sunlight thus less vitamin d compared to middle east due to less sun

Leave a comment:

• Rahma.
    replied
    Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post

usually sunlight is good for skin due to vitamin D
    many muslim women lack this for obvious
    reasons

over exposure can cause problems though

I wonder about this vit D thing sometimes....
    Allah told the Mothers of the believers (radiyallahu 'anhunn) to stay in their houses and believing women (and men) to cover-up. So it makes me wonder because... Allah would never order something that is detrimental to the health of women (and even men)... Also, it's interesting to see how people who live in very hot countries/deserts (Bedouins), they cover up well and seem to always have done... Allahu a'lam.

Leave a comment:

• Abu julaybeeb
    replied

If you want... ? :)

Or stay in the shade?
    There is/are studies done of the connection between wrinkles/ageing and sun exposure.

I've come across a significant amount of sisters who look young for their age (ma sha Allah, barakallahu lahunna). Some look like and get mistaken for teens/early 20s when they are actually in their late 20s, 30s. I don't know if it's genes, lack of sun exposure or both. Allahu a'lam.

I think it's a blessing from Allah to women who look young for their age. And it gives single sisters some chance of marriage even when they're not the desirable early 20-something and younger. Have you/anyone noticed too how a lot of men look older compared to women of the same age? Or is this just my experience? A 20/30/40 year old man can look SO much older then a 20/30/40 y.o. woman. Maybe men age quicker generally?

(Not trying to derail the topic. It's still age-related... :| )
    usually sunlight is good for skin due to vitamin D
    many muslim women lack this for obvious
    reasons

over exposure can cause problems though

Leave a comment:

• Rahma.
    replied
    Originally posted by Indefinable View Post

Become a Hermit?

If you want... ? :)

Or stay in the shade?
    There is/are studies done of the connection between wrinkles/ageing and sun exposure.

I've come across a significant amount of sisters who look young for their age (ma sha Allah, barakallahu lahunna). Some look like and get mistaken for teens/early 20s when they are actually in their late 20s, 30s. I don't know if it's genes, lack of sun exposure or both. Allahu a'lam.

I think it's a blessing from Allah to women who look young for their age. And it gives single sisters some chance of marriage even when they're not the desirable early 20-something and younger. Have you/anyone noticed too how a lot of men look older compared to women of the same age? Or is this just my experience? A 20/30/40 year old man can look SO much older then a 20/30/40 y.o. woman. Maybe men age quicker generally?

(Not trying to derail the topic. It's still age-related... :| )

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied
    Originally posted by Fakhri View Post

^I posted this but it's below a post which is quite the opposite in tone to what's written above. I don't know how much each of us is struggling and striving for Allah Ta'aalaa and in serving his deen so I must apologise to anyone reading if it seems like an attack.

If anyone needs to look critically at how much they're doing, it's me myself.
    I didn't consider it an attack. I think it's a good reminder.

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied
    Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

Lol turn into scrooge

I worry I'll become cranky, sometimes I make the dua that asks Allah to save me from the miserliness of old age

The mental aspect of old age is very daunting, I believe if you are mentally positive it helps to keep your physical health well.

I've met a lot of old cranky people and it is very unpleasant, it's challenging to stay patient with them but it is sad because they can't help feeling so down.
    It's a reminder that I don't want to be like that if I make it to old age.

At the moment I think my life has just began, I progressed very slowly and I am very behind compared to the people my age.

I've always had my family look after me so now it's as though I'm on my own.

That's what I mean ... the "crankiness". Does that happen to everybody?

Do you feel you've been sheltered all your life?

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri
    replied
    Originally posted by Fakhri View Post
    It's a conflicting thing finding it in ourselves to be humorous with how things are for us - unless we're exerting ourselves close to the fullest for our akhirah and serving the deen. Yes, Rasoolullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam was cheerful and had humour and it's a part of Rahmah towards others to not be lacking in these things... But He was doing what He needed to do for this Deen and for Himself as the Messenger of Allah.

What are we doing? What am I doing?

I know this is grim, but the reality is for most of us our hearts are dead or sick. We're busy playing games, watching movies, watching sports, dining out, enjoying this and enjoying that and the concern for the state of the Ummah and our own akhirah doesn't really translate into the kind of action we ought to be taking.

Maybe that lack of humour as we age is part of the conscience telling us what we already know inside us deep down.

We need to be doing a lot more than we are doing and the signs of ageing are reminding us of death and our falling short in striving the way we know our situation requires.

Allahu a'lam.
    ^I posted this but it's below a post which is quite the opposite in tone to what's written above. I don't know how much each of us is struggling and striving for Allah Ta'aalaa and in serving his deen so I must apologise to anyone reading if it seems like an attack.

If anyone needs to look critically at how much they're doing, it's me myself.

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied
    Originally posted by Mintchocchip View Post

How old would you have to be to be considered an "older member?".
    Well ... I consider myself as "old".

40+ ?

Leave a comment:

• Mintchocchip
    replied
    Originally posted by Indefinable View Post
    Any tips/suggestions?

(To the older members).
    How old would you have to be to be considered an "older member?".

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
    Better than aging disgracefully I guess
    Lol turn into scrooge

I worry I'll become cranky, sometimes I make the dua that asks Allah to save me from the miserliness of old age

The mental aspect of old age is very daunting, I believe if you are mentally positive it helps to keep your physical health well.

I've met a lot of old cranky people and it is very unpleasant, it's challenging to stay patient with them but it is sad because they can't help feeling so down.
    It's a reminder that I don't want to be like that if I make it to old age.

At the moment I think my life has just began, I progressed very slowly and I am very behind compared to the people my age.

I've always had my family look after me so now it's as though I'm on my own.

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied
    Some may say, stay out of the sun.

I heard a teacher once refer to this Ayah (18:17) and say something like there's a tip in it for staying young (looking)!

I think there may be truth in it...

Allah knows best!

"And you might have seen the sun, when it rose, declining to the right from their Cave, and when it set, turning away from them to the left, while they lay in the midst of the Cave." (Al-Kahf, 18:17)
    Become a Hermit?

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied
    Thanks for the replies brothers and sisters.

Life passes by too quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Rahma.
    replied
    Some may say, stay out of the sun.

I heard a teacher once refer to this Ayah (18:17) and say something like there's a tip in it for staying young (looking)!

I think there may be truth in it...

Allah knows best!

"And you might have seen the sun, when it rose, declining to the right from their Cave, and when it set, turning away from them to the left, while they lay in the midst of the Cave." (Al-Kahf, 18:17)

Leave a comment:

• eesa the kiwi
    replied
    Better than aging disgracefully I guess

Leave a comment:

Working...
X