Ageing Gracefully.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post

Suggestions depend on your definition of aging gracefully. I donít think there are that many active members here who are at an age to be thinking about this.

I would assume, by the typical definition, that you would keep doing what youíre doing as a Muslim woman. We donít wear makeup already or adorn outside, so there is no transition here (meaning, we arenít fixated on our public appearance).

The other thought would be eating right and exercising. This, again, is something that should have been developed long ago, so no transition.

As far as the mind, it may slow, and you adapt. Knowledge and the desire to obtain it should have been developed earlier. Doing puzzles, such as suduko; memorization; among others, should help keep the mind active.

In summary, good habits are good habits regardless, and the sooner they are implemented, the easier the transition or lack thereof.
    I'm sure there's an "e" in "ageing".

(Or is my spelling deteriorating?)

I'm not too fussed about the physical factors like grey hairs/wrinkles etc. It's more to do with the mental aspect.

Like memory, sharpness, not being able to handle a "joke". Does loss of humour come with age too?

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

Lol,
      What's so absurd and/or funny about this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post

Lol.
        Br Zeeshan's input is required.

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post

I'm sure there's an "e" in "ageing".

(Or is my spelling deteriorating?)

I'm not too fussed about the physical factors like grey hairs/wrinkles etc. It's more to do with the mental aspect.

Like memory, sharpness, not being able to handle a "joke". Does loss of humour come with age too?

My understanding is that there are two spellings. Maybe itís a US/UK thing.

Does loss of humor come with age?

Umm, not sure. I can only speak of my experience and those around me. Iím not actually as old as some on here like to believe. I started my life early, so I have an adult child, even though Iím not considered old and could start another family now. Itís a strange position to be in, like when you visit your kidís school and get invited to house parties, only to let them down by responding that your kid is the student there, or when a teenager asks you to slow dance at the roller skating rink, only to decline, saying you remind me of my son (oh, the horror!).

So, on humor, I love it, write my own jokes, have a stand-up routine that Iíll never perform. I believe being humorous is more related to intelligence, being witty and thinking quick. Itís also related to experiences and gathering material, which would come with time. Some older folks lose it, some younger people never had it. As I said, I think mind exercises are a win-win.

Comment

It's a conflicting thing finding it in ourselves to be humorous with how things are for us - unless we're exerting ourselves close to the fullest for our akhirah and serving the deen. Yes, Rasoolullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam was cheerful and had humour and it's a part of Rahmah towards others to not be lacking in these things... But He was doing what He needed to do for this Deen and for Himself as the Messenger of Allah.

What are we doing? What am I doing?

I know this is grim, but the reality is for most of us our hearts are dead or sick. We're busy playing games, watching movies, watching sports, dining out, enjoying this and enjoying that and the concern for the state of the Ummah and our own akhirah doesn't really translate into the kind of action we ought to be taking.

Maybe that lack of humour as we age is part of the conscience telling us what we already know inside us deep down.

We need to be doing a lot more than we are doing and the signs of ageing are reminding us of death and our falling short in striving the way we know our situation requires.

Allahu a'lam.
            LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
            -------------------------------
            "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
            NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post

My understanding is that there are two spellings. Maybe itís a US/UK thing.

Does loss of humor come with age?

Umm, not sure. I can only speak of my experience and those around me. Iím not actually as old as some on here like to believe. I started my life early, so I have an adult child, even though Iím not considered old and could start another family now. Itís a strange position to be in, like when you visit your kidís school and get invited to house parties, only to let them down by responding that your kid is the student there, or when a teenager asks you to slow dance at the roller skating rink, only to decline, saying you remind me of my son (oh, the horror!).

So, on humor, I love it, write my own jokes, have a stand-up routine that Iíll never perform. I believe being humorous is more related to intelligence, being witty and thinking quick. Itís also related to experiences and gathering material, which would come with time. Some older folks lose it, some younger people never had it. As I said, I think mind exercises are a win-win.
              Is humour really related to intelligence?

Hmm - your post has really given me a lot to reflect upon.

(It's not about "looking" young - okay - maybe it is. Who wants to look "old"?)

I mean - do a person's characteristics change as they get older?

I feel like I'm becoming an "Age-Snob" - for example - people should behave in a certain way once they reach a certain age. Immaturity annoys me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri View Post
                It's a conflicting thing finding it in ourselves to be humorous with how things are for us - unless we're exerting ourselves close to the fullest for our akhirah and serving the deen. Yes, Rasoolullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam was cheerful and had humour and it's a part of Rahmah towards others to not be lacking in these things... But He was doing what He needed to do for this Deen and for Himself as the Messenger of Allah.

What are we doing? What am I doing?

I know this is grim, but the reality is for most of us our hearts are dead or sick. We're busy playing games, watching movies, watching sports, dining out, enjoying this and enjoying that and the concern for the state of the Ummah and our own akhirah doesn't really translate into the kind of action we ought to be taking.

Maybe that lack of humour as we age is part of the conscience telling us what we already know inside us deep down.

We need to be doing a lot more than we are doing and the signs of ageing are reminding us of death and our falling short in striving the way we know our situation requires.

Allahu a'lam.
                This is it.

It's grim, yet it's the ultimate reality for all of us.

As we get older, none of the material things hold any significance. It's all about how many good deeds we have accumulated. Unfortunately it's nowhere near enough to what we ought to be doing.

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post

True. But it's a major step is to be mindful of this, and to make a pure intention not to fall prey to it as you age.

Perhaps you can try catching yourself when you do become angry, bitter or jealous, and make Du'a to Allah that He free you from such negative attributes.
                  Du'a - The weapon of every Believer.

Guess it's back to basics - Ikhlas, Akhlaq, Du'a.

Comment

Is humour really related to intelligence?

Hmm - your post has really given me a lot to reflect upon.

(It's not about "looking" young - okay - maybe it is. Who wants to look "old"?)

I mean - do a person's characteristics change as they get older?

I feel like I'm becoming an "Age-Snob" - for example - people should behave in a certain way once they reach a certain age. Immaturity annoys me.

Is humor related to intelligence? There are studies available, probably on both sides of the argument. I believe it is related.

Do a personís characteristics change as they get older? Possibly. With life experience, a person may change. If you touch something hot, chances are the second or third time it happens, youíll make adjustments so it doesnít happen again (learning), and that happens with time. Although, some people are repetitive, despite bad results.

Age snob in this example could also apply to a young person. So and so should act a certain way because theyíre older (read: they should give me a free pass to misbehave because Iím younger).

Comment

Yes?
                      dust

if ur talking spirituality in terms of deen it should only increase as you get older

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post

dust

if ur talking spirituality in terms of deen it should only increase as you get older
                        It's not being negative - it's called being "prepared".

How/why should spirituality increase as one gets older?

Comment

Better than aging disgracefully I guess
                          The sunnah is like the ark of Noah, whoever embarks upon it reaches salvation and whoever refuses is drowned.
                          ~ Imam Malik (may Allah have mercy on him)

Comment

Some may say, stay out of the sun.

I heard a teacher once refer to this Ayah (18:17) and say something like there's a tip in it for staying young (looking)!

I think there may be truth in it...

Allah knows best!

"And you might have seen the sun, when it rose, declining to the right from their Cave, and when it set, turning away from them to the left, while they lay in the midst of the Cave." (Al-Kahf, 18:17)

Comment

Thanks for the replies brothers and sisters.

Life passes by too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rahma. View Post
                                Some may say, stay out of the sun.

I heard a teacher once refer to this Ayah (18:17) and say something like there's a tip in it for staying young (looking)!

I think there may be truth in it...

Allah knows best!

"And you might have seen the sun, when it rose, declining to the right from their Cave, and when it set, turning away from them to the left, while they lay in the midst of the Cave." (Al-Kahf, 18:17)
                                Become a Hermit?

Comment

Working...
                                X