Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does Islam say about ego death?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What does Islam say about ego death?

    Have you ever experienced this? Or is it just induced mental inbalance/opposite of natural state of ease?

  • #2
    Explain what you mean by ego death.

    Comment


    • #3
      Do you, by ego death, mean selflessness?

      On another side, I heard about ego death as a pathway to suicide.
      Don't rush your salat for anything, as you are standing in front of
      The One who is in charge of whatever you are rushing for!

      Comment


      • #4
        To truly look at yourself as you are, including flaws/weaknesses and strengths without allowing the ego to make you 'feel better'. And allowing that to improve you as a person. Sometimes it means not allowing your ego to make you act holier than thou. Which i think can be difficult in general. Because doing good deeds allows you to feel good but can blind you to self improvement sometimes. Ego death is like a breakdown "complete loss of subjective self identity"-wiki

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by usernametaken View Post
          To truly look at yourself as you are, including flaws/weaknesses and strengths without allowing the ego to make you 'feel better'. And allowing that to improve you as a person. Sometimes it means not allowing your ego to make you act holier than thou. Which i think can be difficult in general. Because doing good deeds allows you to feel good but can blind you to self improvement sometimes. Ego death is like a breakdown "complete loss of subjective self identity"-wiki
          Have you read any books or listened to any lectures about ego and self-reflection?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Benefy View Post
            Do you, by ego death, mean selflessness?

            On another side, I heard about ego death as a pathway to suicide.
            Yes I guess so. How would it be a pathway to suicide?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post

              Have you read any books or listened to any lectures about ego and self-reflection?
              Yes but I never learn anything until I go through something. In the past I've always tried listening to lectures, reading books but nothing ever effects me like it might to others.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by usernametaken View Post

                Yes but I never learn anything until I go through something. In the past I've always tried listening to lectures, reading books but nothing ever effects me like it might to others.
                I have no idea what that means.

                Where did you come across this 'ego death' thing?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post

                  I have no idea what that means.

                  Where did you come across this 'ego death' thing?
                  I don't remember, but I read it online.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by usernametaken View Post

                    I don't remember, but I read it online.
                    Marvellous.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just found this answer on Quora which makes sense

                      "If it were possible to have "ego death," then it would be both a psychological disorder and enlightenment.

                      Regardless how good one gets at removing fears and being honest with oneself, it is truly impossible to eliminate the ego, for even a spiritualized ego is still an ego. To truly eliminate the ego may not even be healthy. It would require losing all concepts of self, all value of the body and it's safety and existence. Can you imagine reaching a state wherein you no longer remember your name, or have a food preference, or a desire to execute a plan, where ALL is acceptable, including the baby in front of you being killed or raped?

                      I would gladly settle for killing off 90% of the ego, but I am not even sure that is a sensible way to put it, as we don't really lose our ego so much as we gain focus on the nonegoic. It is our attention to the valuable that keeps us from focusing on the valueless."

                      https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...IQ5YetrbSGWys-

                      i don't think my post about lectures made sense.



                      the copied post seems reasonable.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The division of the self into an "id" "super ego" and "ego" is a 19th century invention by a non-Muslim. Islam does not have to say something about every little thing that Disbelievers dream up. It's not an Islamic understanding of the "self" and that should be enough for an average Muslim to understand the lack of importance of such topics.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AbuNajm View Post
                          The division of the self into an "id" "super ego" and "ego" is a 19th century invention by a non-Muslim. Islam does not have to say something about every little thing that Disbelievers dream up. It's not an Islamic understanding of the "self" and that should be enough for an average Muslim to understand the lack of importance of such topics.
                          True. When you have the angel, qareen and nafs the rest fails in comparison. People find it fascinating because they are taught this in school..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Probably a bit of a misjudgement to have this thread. But i changed/improved my understanding.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There's no ego death in Islam. Yet, there's ego - nafs. Quran/Allah and our Prophet saws talk a lot about our desires and lust which is from the negative ego. We were never advised to "kill" or "destroy" our ego, but to submit it to Allah's will instead to our desires and on the other side if you'd be egoless that would also mean no free will.

                              I mentioned suicide. Well, I used to hear that often when someone commits suicide that it happens when the ego is broken, absent, etc from judges and forensics.

                              Don't rush your salat for anything, as you are standing in front of
                              The One who is in charge of whatever you are rushing for!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X