How repeating something makes others believe it's true

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How repeating something makes others believe it's true

Liars create an illusion of the truth by simply repeating something over and over

There was a study on the effect of repetition. You can also search how liars create an illusion of truth.

Always be critical of what someone says, especially online
    Watch those eyes

This article introduces the idea that repetition creates truth. In other words, if you say something over and over, it starts to feel true, even if it is a lie. If the lie is already something you would like to believe, even better.

Brains are funny machines, built to do certain things. If you understand the way a brain normally works, then you can use it to get the results you’re looking for. UX designers do it. The media does it. Advertisers do it. And politicians do it.

The difference with UX designers is that we are using our powers for good. Usually.

The interesting and scary thing about this type of stuff is that it works better when you’re talking to large groups. It is easier to persuade a million people than one person, if you can speak to them as a group. They create a feedback loop for each other.
    Watch those eyes

Comment

https://www.google.com.pk/amp/s/life...1788286142/amp
      Watch those eyes

Comment

it would depend on the gullibility and biasness of the individual also.

Comment

One of the many reasons not to have bad company.

When I graduated from High School, I had completely removed bad words from my vocabulary.

Come Med School, I had a friend who was trying to rid himself of bad words. He reworded a bad word into another harmless word. He would use it instead.

He wasn't really a friend. Only a gym partner. He would backbite behind my back. I guess his sins played a role in his messed up kidneys at such a young age and he was giving me free rewards so I never complained.

Anyway, I picked up the word.

So, just bad company can instill bad habits.

Also, dealing with bad people leads to change in behavior. That's why some ppl, who have no choice but to deal with bad ppl, keep some time to rewire their brains if you will.

You and I have what are called mirror neurons. Some people's mirror neurons are more receptive than others.

Always be careful. Don't lose the good traits Allah has blessed you with for the behavior someone else displays

When you lose your footing, as we all do since we are humans bound to sin, repent and try again.
          Watch those eyes

Comment

yh its like the news that make coconuts think muslims striving for the deen are bad

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
              Liars create an illusion of the truth by simply repeating something over and over

There was a study on the effect of repetition. You can also search how liars create an illusion of truth.

Always be critical of what someone says, especially online
              We are supposed to check information before passing it on,

Its good to be careful but the other extreme is casting suspicion on everyone, or the delusion that somone is out to get you or hates you.

http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
                yh its like the news that make coconuts think muslims striving for the deen are bad
                Coconuts are like blind sheep, even if you present the evidence many times coconuts wont accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

We are supposed to check information before passing it on,

Its good to be careful but the other extreme is casting suspicion on everyone, or the delusion that somone is out to get you or hates you.
                  Liars create an illusion of the truth just by mere repetition. The brain is a funny thing. You would think it responds to logic and facts, but it responds so much more to repetition.

Lying isn't the only thing. Repetition benefits one to rid of bad habits. Possitive affirmations like I will not be rude when said over time for a long enough period can change the nueral structure of the brain and help you become a better Muslim.

We find repetition in our daily prayer. We find repetition in our dhikr. Repetition is a very powerful tool.
                  Watch those eyes

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post

Liars create an illusion of the truth just by mere repetition. The brain is a funny thing. You would think it responds to logic and facts, but it responds so much more to repetition.

Lying isn't the only thing. Repetition benefits one to rid of bad habits. Possitive affirmations like I will not be rude when said over time for a long enough period can change the nueral structure of the brain and help you become a better Muslim.

We find repetition in our daily prayer. We find repetition in our dhikr. Repetition is a very powerful tool.
                    We should not be falling for lies by repetition anway,

thats how Guilible people behave, they swallow lies hook, line and sinker without verifying.

Comment

This is like the Roxanne Pallett scandal, which hit the headlines in the UK recently.

Scary thing is - these liars believe their version to be the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

We should not be falling for lies by repetition anway,

thats how Guilible people behave, they swallow lies hook, line and sinker without verifying.
                        It's not merely a case of gullibility. It's actually a glitch in the human psyche. Among psychologists it is known as the illusory truth effect. The reason for it is that people will always gravitate to believing what they are familiar with. The mind has a bias towards things it is familiar with. When someone repeats something which you are familiar with, you want to believe it.

You only use 10% of your brain. You say this and you hear everyone nod their heads. You see their eyes gleam. Why? Because they are familiar with this. They have heard it so many times they believe it. It is not true.

Research shows that familiarity trumps rationality.

"When you see the fact for the second time it's much easier to process—you read it more quickly, you understand it more fluently," says Vanderbilt University psychologist Lisa Fazio. "Our brain interprets that fluency as a signal for something being true"—Whether it's true or not. In other words, rationality can be hard. It takes work. Your busy brain is often more comfortable running on feeling.
                        Watch those eyes

Comment

And repetition alone makes the narrative familiar. You say it once. You say it twice. You say it thrice. Boom people begin to believe it because the mind sees familiarity. The media and politicians use the illusory truth effect all the time.

Hence, you have to be very careful with the information you take in.

As with any cognitive bias, the best way not to fall prey to it is to know it exists. If you read something that just feels right, but you don't know why, take notice. Look into it. Check the data
                          Watch those eyes

Comment

Br Zeeshan, Br Saif-Uddin is your dear brother in Islam who would actually be very saddened to know of any harm coming to you.

Br Saif-Uddin, Br Zeeshan is your dear brother in Islam and would actually be very saddened to know of any harm coming to you.

Br Zeeshan, Br Saif-Uddin is your dear brother in Islam who would actually be very saddened to know of any harm coming to you.

Br Saif-Uddin, Br Zeeshan is your dear brother in Islam and would actually be very saddened to know of any harm coming to you.

​​​​​​​Br Saif-Uddin, Br Zeeshan is your dear brother in Islam and would actually be very saddened to know of any harm coming to you...

​​​​​​​(If it works for false statements, then inshaaAllah, it'll work even better for ones that are inshaaAllah, true like above!!)
                            LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
                            -------------------------------
                            "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
                            NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri View Post

​​​​​​​Br Saif-Uddin, Br Zeeshan is your dear brother in Islam and would actually be very saddened to know of any harm coming to you...

​​​​​​​(If it works for false statements, then inshaaAllah, it'll work even better for ones that are inshaaAllah, true like above!!)
                              I wouldn't want any harm to come to a Muslim.

The problem is Zeeshan has a massive Ego problem, and he goes of his rocker when sometimes doing certain unislamic activities, when one disagrees with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X