Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting people die

Salam aleiykum

theres a protocol in my country that allows people to decide wether they want CPR or not when they are dying.

would it be haram to let someone die right in front of you if you could help them, but they dont want help?
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

I don’t think it is permissible to let them die, especially if they’re a Muslim. It’s not the same scenario but Islamqa: https://islamqa.info/en/129041 mentions that we shouldn’t let terminal patients die if there is a chance for them to live. That we should only stop when there is no more brain function.

Comment

Wa alykum al salam. I think it depends on the specific situation. If by simply performing CPR you can save a persons life, perhaps it becomes an obligation to do so, because otherwise it is like the equivalent of witnessing someone attempt suicide.

On the other hand if CPR does not have a high chance of saving the person (speaking hypothetically) then I don't think you should interfere with individuals personal choices.

But in your case, since CPR does usually have a good rate of saving people with close to no effort, I do not see why not attempting to perform CPR on the individual even if they reject. But this is all just what I think ^.^

Comment

Its called euthanasia
        u can easily find general fatawa on it online such as islamqa

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
          Its called euthanasia
          u can easily find general fatawa on it online such as islamqa
          Well euthanasia is when you actively seek to die by a doctor injecting something into your veins, asking not to perform cpr is not exactly rhe same... the other day my mum called the hospital for a man that was very sick and his wife got mad that she will have to pay the hospital vills because "didn't we agree no more cpr?!"

uhm he had a bad caugh, its not the same as cpr, but yea just saying i can get in trouble by performimg cpr on ppl that dont want it, i still would though if its not allowed for me to let them go like that
          يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

"Didn't we agree no more CPR?!"

That made me laugh. These kuffar are such donkeys tfoo
            They say you contradicted the sayings of the shuyookh
            And they don't mind contradicting the Furqan

I contradicted the sayings of the shuyookh
            For you have contradicted the one who came with the Qur'an

Comment

A DNR...

This is a rather interesting question.

A brother I know told me that they do not sign a DNR unless they know they are fatally sick

In any case we are dealing with kaafirs here (the OP can correct me here if I am wrong).

If a kaafir jumps off a cliff and you do not save him are you liable? He told you do not get near me.

I cannot comment for certain but I do not think the person who does not give the CPR is killing anyone. Nor is he a murderer.

Watch those eyes

Comment

Thought not exactly related to the thread here is an interesting read

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa-birmingham/19594

https://islamqa.info/en/115104
                Watch those eyes

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
                  Thought not exactly related to the thread here is an interesting read

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa-birmingham/19594

https://islamqa.info/en/115104
                  I suppose according to the 2nd fatwa, it is impermissable to let a healthy person die of a heart attack when you could help them out.. if it ever happens i will just do the cpr and afterward tell them i didnt know they decided not to.

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by ummsayfullah View Post
                    "Didn't we agree no more CPR?!"

That made me laugh. These kuffar are such donkeys tfoo
                    Lol ikr and her husband eventually died in the hospital from that bad caugh it got worse etc, so she was probably happy at the end of the day...

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by aynina View Post

Lol ikr and her husband eventually died in the hospital from that bad caugh it got worse etc, so she was probably happy at the end of the day...
                      Billah alaik??!
                      I find it so funny oh these people..she let her husband die
                      They say you contradicted the sayings of the shuyookh
                      And they don't mind contradicting the Furqan

I contradicted the sayings of the shuyookh
                      For you have contradicted the one who came with the Qur'an

Comment

• aynina
                        aynina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ikr no heart subhanAllah

Originally posted by aynina View Post

Healthy people don't just up and die from a cough, nor do they go around signing DNR forms for no reason.

The overwhelming majority are made on medical grounds because often the patient is dying already and the trauma of CPR is not worth buying a few extra days or weeks of time. In real life, CPR is pretty brutal and always leaves the patient with injury (extensive bruising, fractured or broken ribs, internal bleeding, collapsed lungs etc). The general rule is if you don't hear the ribs cracking, you're not pushing hard enough to keep the patient alive.

Its likely the man may have been dying from something else, like cancer, gotten pneumonia as a complication and died as a result.

Its not like on TV where it takes 3 seconds of chest compressions and the patient comes around with no long lasting damage. I think you're pretty sick to be laughing and presuming a woman is happy her husband has died when you know nothing about their situation.

Comment

• aynina
                        aynina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        He had pulmonary edema just that day, he had early stages of dementia and the wife was always embarrassing him in front of friends and family mocking how forgetfull he was, the man had a severe depression because of the way she handled him and his dementia, he tried to kill himself because of her, and when he had the edema she said "why did u call an ambulance, i thought we agreed no cpr" meanwhile edema is smt you can treat

• ummsayfullah
                        ummsayfullah commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No it's pretty sick of this woman to prefer money over her husband.

aynina I think it's the first Time I ever laughed out loud after reading a post on here. Made my day
                    Working...
                    X