Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lessons You Learned The Hard Way...? (Serious / Not-so-serious)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons You Learned The Hard Way...? (Serious / Not-so-serious)

(Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullah.)

Things we learned the hard way (or are currently learning) because we were dismissive, stubborn, naive, etc.

Serious, light-hearted, anything in between, inshaa'Allah.

Maybe your sharing can help us...

(Note: No disclosing of sins of course. That's definitely not what we want.)
    Jazaa'akallah Khair.

​​​​​​
    Ps. Currently nursing a wonky shoulder because of a bit of carelesness when working out. ( Lesson: Warm up properly and if you feel the 'wrong sort' of pain don't try to force yourself through the lift like a mup--t. :| )
    Last edited by Fakhri; 24-08-18, 10:07 PM.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
    -------------------------------
    "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
    NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Burnt hands/fingers thinking I could manage taking out something from the oven - without wearing oven gloves - and only using a dish cloth. Nothing serious - but completely avoidable.

Comment

• Fakhri
      Fakhri commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if that's a lesson learned. I imagine the millions of us who burn our hands like that give it another go as soon as a bit of time passes. Avoiding the great bother of taking precautions and the valuable 10 seconds we save...

Thinking that a 13 hour shift at work is possible on 2 hours of uncomfortable sleep... lesson still hasn’t been “fully learnt” no matter how much I suffer during the day

Comment

If you complain too much, Allah will give you a REAL reason to be upset, and show you you complained for small things.. jews are the ones that complain, not muslims, but i definately learned the hard way, and im not complaining about that (lol) Alhamdulillah
      يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

• Fakhri
        Fakhri commented
        Editing a comment
        Jazaa'akillah Khair. That's a great point, alhamdulillah. Has made me wonder if this thread is encouraging the wrong sort of mentality. I hope not.

Around the time the timing belt of your car needs changing (if it has one), best not to hang about thinking you can keep driving and not get it replaced... Thought I'd keep going a while longer as the car seemed alright to drive, and then...

(Wasn't worth getting the car fixed afterwards because the damage was so bad. Had to scrap an otherwise excellent little car. )
      LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
      "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)

Comment

• aynina
        aynina commented
        Editing a comment
        Reminds me of when i thought my gastank could go for countless km after it was indicating it was empty

Ordering way too much dishes when you are at all you can eat...and then it hits you in a middle of a bite...but you still got all the food left...and you do the same thing again when you go for all you can eat next time...the cycle continues...

Comment

• Fakhri
        Fakhri commented
        Editing a comment
        Brother!! You need to stop these all-you-can-eats altogether. :D

• Muslimah1436
        Muslimah1436 commented
        Editing a comment
        I face this problem every time. Next time, I'll be ordering a starter and that's it, in sha Allah.

Not to be so naive and trusting with new people. Sorry about the seriousness lol.
      وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• Fakhri
        Fakhri commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. I guess sometimes It's hard not to because as Muslims we want to assume the best of people...

• Muslimah1436
        Muslimah1436 commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely learnt that the hard way.

1. Drinking/eating something knowing it is too hot but still do anyway.

2. Leaving revision until the last minute.

3. Packing for holiday last minute. Was too late to get some items that I needed.
      Last edited by Mintchocchip; 25-08-18, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Lesson: The othering. In Qur'an 28:15, Musa () is not only saying it was of his doing but also how he works!.

Example:

If one is alone in a desperate situation and people are inattentive, one suspects an imbalance (somethings not right) then beware of othering and avoid doing an action to resolve the problem out of incomplete knowledge, and seek refuge in Allah () for that is most likely the time when the shaytan seizes the moment and misleads by insinuating whispers.

(The arrangements of those words in the example represents the chronological order of events.)

It occured to me thrice to notice this repetitive pattern.
        If the plot is repetitive then it is feeble once it is known.

Only Allah () knows best.
        Last edited by tumbirs; 27-08-18, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Fakhri
          Fakhri commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm...Any examples of that you can maybe share, br Tumbirs?

• tumbirs
          tumbirs commented
          Editing a comment
          جزاك اللهُ

Not my own experience, but something that came up in discussion with someone.

Lesson: Don't leave your young child watching YouTube videos/nasheeds in the hope they'll start picking up a bit of Arabic. As soon as they discover how, they'll become attached to the useless junk from the kuffaar and will only want to watch that.
        LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

• aynina
          aynina commented
          Editing a comment
          Good advice, goes for us as well, we tell ourselves we have social media for the benefits of it, while the disadvantages of it are bigger and more in number..

I learned the hard way that what you desire for yourself is not always good for you.

I made dua and I got everything I had asked for.

It ended up to be a nightmare.

Every night when I would go to bed, I would wonder If I would ever wake up from this nightmare.

It was the worst experience ever.

Never ask for what you desire.

Ask Allaah for that which is best for you.
        Watch those eyes

Comment

• Fakhri
          Fakhri commented
          Editing a comment
          Jazaa'akallah Khair. Alhamdulillah.

When you put your phone device on charge, and a couple of hours later you check to see the said device, only to find that you hadn't switched on the plug.

A real "grrrr" moment.

(Probably doesn't fit in here...)

Comment

• Fakhri
          Fakhri commented
          Editing a comment
          Only happened once or twice but definitely a 'grrr' moment.

Originally posted by tumbirs View Post
        Lesson: The othering. In Qur'an 28:15, Musa () is not only saying it was of his doing but also how he works!.

Example:

If one is alone in a desperate situation and people are inattentive, one suspects an imbalance (somethings not right) then beware of othering and avoid doing an action to resolve the problem out of incomplete knowledge, and seek refuge in Allah () for that is most likely the time when the shaytan seizes the moment and misleads by insinuating whispers.

(The arrangements of those words in the example represents the chronological order of events.)

It occured to me thrice to notice this repetitive pattern.
        If the plot is repetitive then it is feeble once it is known.

Only Allah () knows best.
        Subhaanallah. You sound like a very analytical man. I'm starting to wonder, br Tumbirs, about your profession.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sa.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	12574727
        Attached Files
        LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

(Doesn't fit here because it's yet to happen, and I'm not a chocoholic by any means, but there's a small bag of luxury Swiss chocolates sitting here in the kitchen. Not sure who the owner is exactly, but they might be about to learn the hard way what happens when these chocolates are left unattended... )
          LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH

Comment

• Indefinable
            Indefinable commented
            Editing a comment
            Eat them, and dispose of the wrappers.

• Fakhri
            Fakhri commented
            Editing a comment
            Done.

I've moved them out of sight.

(Next time we have relatives visit Switzerland, I hope they don't bring back chocolates as gifts. Didn't realise I could appreciate chocolates this much till now. Alhamdulillah, they are actually very nice, but I've indulged too much these last few days.)

When you get attached to a forum that was never yours or didn't really value the way you've valued it in the past.
          إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

Working...
        X