Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical and dental fields

Asalamu aleikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Does anyone know how seclusion with the opposite gender can be avoided when working in these fields, especially denta? When going to school, don't you have to practice on people? Could you refuse practicing on the opposite gender? If you get your licence and don't work, would it be hard to get hired years down the line?
    "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."
    - Ibn al Qayyim (rahimahullah)

Well I have 2 friends who study medicine in UK
    and segregation is not really possible

they have also had to touch women as part of training for certain cancers
    Both boys and girls have had to practise surgery on dead bodies including male and female
    and they have also had to see men nude for certain diseases
    so a female student will also do all the above

what I recommend is you study in a Muslim country that accommodates for segregation

Comment

I dunno about employment wise but usually tobecome fully qualified in UK u have to work for 2 years after the degree and u have to do certain things to pass the 2 years such as taking part in 10 childbirths irrespective if your male or female

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
        Well I have 2 friends who study medicine in UK
        and segregation is not really possible

they have also had to touch women as part of training for certain cancers
        Both boys and girls have had to practise surgery on dead bodies including male and female
        and they have also had to see men nude for certain diseases
        so a female student will also do all the above

what I recommend is you study in a Muslim country that accommodates for segregation
        Do you know anything about training for dental hygiene?
        "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."

Comment

When you are taking the degree, you don't really have a choice, but you can choose 'a muslim friendly' workplace later on.
          رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Comment

Originally posted by .khayriyyah. View Post

Do you know anything about training for dental hygiene?
            Il find out insha Allah

Comment

Walikumsalam

As far as I know you have to work with both genders, dentistry is a practical hands on job and you can't choose your patients.

​You can pm me if you want because I have worked in this type of environment and I was told I can't cover my arms due to hygiene reasons (I knew that but was hoping they would provide something, maybe disposable arm coverings lol but they're not going to spend money on these things).

I didn't pursue it, mostly because of the staff that worked there and the blood and saliva (lol the constant washing up). I wanted to do a dental hygienist course, glad I didn't waste money and time. I suppose the medical sector is just not for me.

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

In the West you will find it hard to get a job if your potential employer knows you won't work with the opposite gender.

They have plenty to choose from so they won't lose out on money for a Muslim's preferences (unfortunately)

i don't know about Muslim countries but maybe it's worth checking out
                'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                  Walikumsalam

As far as I know you have to work with both genders, dentistry is a practical hands on job and you can't choose your patients.

​You can pm me if you want because I have worked in this type of environment and I was told I can't cover my arms due to hygiene reasons (I knew that but was hoping they would provide something, maybe disposable arm coverings lol but they're not going to spend money on these things).

I didn't pursue it, mostly because of the staff that worked there and the blood and saliva (lol the constant washing up). I wanted to do a dental hygienist course, glad I didn't waste money and time. I suppose the medical sector is just not for me.

If I had to work I'd want to go into either of those two fields, but the main reason why I'm thinking about getting an education is to have something to fall back on in case things go bad. It just happened to be that many of the decent paying jobs that only require an associates degree deal with health. I don't have a strong desire to go to school, but I don't want to put myself in a situation where I have to live in a bad area or always depend on strangers for help.

I know the salary for many jobs in the US and the UK aren't the same, but do you know of any that offer a decent wage and only require an associates degree?
                  Last edited by .khayriyyah.; 06-07-18, 04:01 PM.

Comment

If I had to work I'd want to go into either of those two fields, but the main reason why I'm thinking about getting an education is to have something to fall back on in case things go bad. It just happened to be that many of the decent paying jobs that only require an associates degree deal with health. I don't have a strong desire to go to school, but I don't want to put myself in a situation where I have to live in a bad area or always depend on strangers for help.

I know the salary for many jobs in the US and the UK aren't the same, but do you know of any that offer a decent wage and only require an associates degree?
                    What about teaching

you can teach in a girls school
                    or madaaris

Comment

What about teaching

you can teach in a girls school
                      or madaaris
                      You have to have a bachelor's degree to become a teacher here. Apparently the pay in Islamic schools are around 40k or less.

Comment

You have to have a bachelor's degree to become a teacher here. Apparently the pay in Islamic schools are around 40k or less.
                        I dunno about the degree stuff in us
                        ​​​​​​but if 40 k is enough to take care of a family then khalas if not i understand

Comment

I dunno about the degree stuff in us
                          ​​​​​​but if 40 k is enough to take care of a family then khalas if not i understand
                          Raising kids in a low income neighborhood isn't something I want to do. It's way too dangerous, especially for girls.

Comment

Raising kids in a low income neighborhood isn't something I want to do. It's way too dangerous, especially for girls.
                            Insha Allah it doesn't come to this
                            but you should aim to leave the country
                            Muslims should not live in darul kufr
                            of course if u have no option then it's different

try and find a halal job/degree
                            but don't compromise on your deen
                            remember Allah is the provider

have hope in Allah and have optimism
                            when u get married find someone who fears Allah
                            if they fear Allah then they fear treating u wrong

Whatever is your qadr will happen but rely on Allah

Comment