Is Mental Illness a thing in Islam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Mental Illness a thing in Islam?

When I ask sheikhs about Mental Illnesses and Psychological disorders like Depression, social anxiety. They give you the most cliche advice that anyone and their mother can give, "Don't listen to the waswas of Shaytan". Implying that these things aren't medical issues or serious.

It shows how disconnected the sheikh nowadays are from the Ummah and the time we live in.
    Last edited by ibrahim8k; 11-05-18, 10:04 PM.

Originally posted by ibrahim8k View Post
    When I ask sheikhs about Mental Illnesses and Psychological disorders like Depression, social anxiety. They give you the most cliche advice that anyone and their mother can give, "Don't listen to the waswas of Shaytan". Implying that these things aren't medical issues or serious.
    Haha. How many shaykhs have you asked?

Comment

It shows how disconnected the sheikh nowadays are from the Ummah and the time we live in.
      Maybe you visited the wrong Shiekhs ?

Most Sheikhs would advise you to look at medical reasons first.

Some drugs and medicines can induce mental illness, and removing them or remedying them can make the
      person recover from it. Chemical imbalance in the body or brain can cause people to say and do some very loopy things.

Mental illness (insanity in islamic terminology) is also a very real thing and so is depression. It can happen to anyone, but
      there are things we can do to protect ourselves - like having a strong Aqeedah and correct Islamic beliefs in predestination etc.

It is different from Jinn possession in a number of ways.

So its important to identify what kind of mental illness it is, because they all have their own signs and cures.

Comment

You make a good point. I used to think that mental illness didnt exist and taking medication for mental health problems was not halal but after asking many Islamic scholars, I found out that taking medication for mental health problems is actually halal as long as a doctor prescribes it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeecat View Post

Maybe you visited the wrong Shiekhs ?

Most Sheikhs would advise you to look at medical reasons first.

Some drugs and medicines can induce mental illness, and removing them or remedying them can make the
          person recover from it. Chemical imbalance in the body or brain can cause people to say and do some very loopy things.

Mental illness (insanity in islamic terminology) is also a very real thing and so is depression. It can happen to anyone, but
          there are things we can do to protect ourselves - like having a strong Aqeedah and correct Islamic beliefs in predestination etc.

It is different from Jinn possession in a number of ways.

So its important to identify what kind of mental illness it is, because they all have their own signs and cures.
          You have a very good understanding of that and I agree with what you said.

Comment

Mental illness is largely not visible,unlike most physical illnesses.Diagnosis of the former is very often approximate whereas for the latter it is precise.There are also degrees of mental afflictions. Sufferers of mental illness call for compassion and understanding.

Comment

There are cultural lines drawn between Western secular thought about the mind, mental illness and mental health, and Islamic legal medical thought regarding these matters.

I am in Arabia. There are MANY Muslim doctors and medical organizations of all kinds here who have developed an Islamic approach to these matters accordingly. I'm afraid Muslims living in the West are deprived of proper Muslim medical, scientific, and psychological guidance on this matter.

On that note, I would encourage Muslims to consider performing medical tourism to Arabia, Khaleej, or even Turkey in pursuit of sound Muslim medical advise.
              Allahumma, aranee al haqqu haqqan wa arzuqnee itiba`ahu, wa aranee al baatilu baatilaan wa arzuqnee ijtinaabahu.Oh Allah! show us the truth as true, and inspire us to follow it. Show us falsehood as falsehood, and inspire us to abstain from it.
              " Do you know what destroys Islam? A mistake made by a scholar, the argument of a hypocrite in writing and the ruling of leaders who wish for people to stray

Comment

Working...
              X