Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I wrong? (#facebook drama; #imitating kufaar; etc)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I wrong? (#facebook drama; #imitating kufaar; etc)

Assalamu alaykum and sabah noor,

I was on FB this morning and while scrolling, someone posted in a group a link for "Eid trees." I commented, "Too much like a Christmas tree," and another revert said so. I told her it imitates the kaffir, because Christmas trees are a Pagan ritual adapted by the Church to convert Pagans. She then tried to tell me breathing was imitating the kaffir. Another sister commented she didn't wear hijab and if I'd say it to her (that she imitates the kaffir). At that point, I threw my hands up and said it's bidah and left it at that. I was then kicked out of the group (it's a local sisters group) by the admin after she agreed with the others.

Am I overreacting? Or, are they just refusing to admit it's haraam to have a tree with presents under it?

Jazak allahu khayr.

• Saif-Uddin
    replied
    Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post

You can bypass them too. But the argument isn't whether they spy on us - we already know that - it's about not giving your info to them on a plate. Facebook is one of the worst when it comes harvesting data.
    True

جزاك الله خيرا

Leave a comment:

• Linkdeutscher
    replied
    Sounds like a CoCoGroup.

Leave a comment:

• Abu 'Abdullaah
    replied
    Originally posted by shay5 View Post

What data? Which Disney princess are you?
    Data about you; who your friends are; where you work; what you buy; browsing history; chat logs; photos; etc...

This level of surveillance + the amount of data = tyranny

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied

You can bypass them too. But the argument isn't whether they spy on us - we already know that - it's about not giving your info to them on a plate. Facebook is one of the worst when it comes harvesting data.
    What kind of info are you talking about? Name, age, location, posts you like/write? Friends/relatives? (I think LinkedIn is even worse).

Leave a comment:

• shay5
    replied

What data? Which Disney princess are you?

Leave a comment:

• Abu 'Abdullaah
    replied
    Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

So do ISP's if I recall correctly, so there is real privacy,
    ​​​​​​
    Plus the fact that personal information can be hacked and is

Leave a comment:

• Saif-Uddin
    replied

There actually is such a thing but even if it's difficult to protect yourself, you shouldn't give up and make it easy for them to harvest your personal info. Don't forget facebook works with governments and political groups.
    So do ISP's if I recall correctly, so there is real privacy,
    ​​​​​​
    Plus the fact that personal information can be hacked and is

Leave a comment:

• Abu 'Abdullaah
    replied
    Originally posted by Indefinable View Post

No such thing as privacy on the internet. Anything and everything is traceable.
    There actually is such a thing but even if it's difficult to protect yourself, you shouldn't give up and make it easy for them to harvest your personal info. Don't forget facebook works with governments and political groups.

Leave a comment:

• aelmo
    replied
    Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

There's plenty of people like that, unfortunately

I remember one sister who didn't want to know about the miracles in the Qur'an,

نعوذ بالله من ذلك
    I can't believe that people can be that clueless. They think that if they never learn about these things that they will be spared the punishment because they can use the excuse of "well I didn't know that what I did was haram." Its like when people say "It's halal if you don't look at the ingredients"

Seriously what is wrong with that sister. Ignorance doesn't protect people especially when they willingly choose to be that way.

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied
    Originally posted by shay5 View Post

You have to be subtle. eg ' aww that's one of my fave mufti menk quotes' .You doing an all out copy and paste jobs makes you seem cuckoo.....

I like it....
    Are you calling me 'crazy'?

You have guts. I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied

Surveillance/privacy
    No such thing as privacy on the internet. Anything and everything is traceable.

Leave a comment:

• shay5
    replied

Hmm. It was tempting - I could've just screenshot the Mufti's post and posted it as a comment under the sister's post. That thought did occur to me. But then I thought "Nah, forget it. Life's too short". (Plus she might use that against me on DoJ and say I humiliated her and should've done it in private). And who's got time for all of that?
    You have to be subtle. eg ' aww that's one of my fave mufti menk quotes' .You doing an all out copy and paste jobs makes you seem cuckoo.....

I like it....

Leave a comment:

• Abu 'Abdullaah
    replied

Delete FB? Why?
    Surveillance/privacy

Leave a comment:

• Indefinable
    replied
    Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

My sibling asked me would it be allowed for her to buy this for her kids?

Anyone know lol I said to her I don't see why not

As far as I'm aware the calendar doesn't have traces back to pagan beliefs it's just like a countdown to a specific day

The Christmas tree is too much though as the tree itself has history behind, so it wasn't wrong for Yasirah to speak the truth and from the sounds of it she wasn't rude or anything, she stated the facts

Correct me if I'm wrong on the calendar thing
    I did buy it for my son. But then I know for a fact that on the first iftaar in Ramadhaan, he and his uncles will eat them all. So the whole "one tiny chocolate per day" doesn't really sit well in a large family with hungry men.

But the calendar thing is imitating the disbelievers with their traditions. Isn't it? Hm.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X