Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patting a Dog or having a dog at home in Islam

Salam Aleykum,

I, as many of us Muslims, know that having a dog as a pet in the home is not allowed, as I have read in Hadiths and how when they are in the home the angels leave, and don't enter homes etc..
    So I know that you are not supposed to have them as pets, especially inside the home, but if really want a dog or found one and wanted to support it etc.. you can only keep it outside as it is supposed to be in our deen.

And I just wanted to mention. In western contries, they look at us wierdly when we get away from the dog etc.. But also they have feelings as their owners, no matter what we should all be kind and smile and respect them, and also the dog has feelings to, it is a creation of Allah and senses and feels, and we should treat animals with kindness and care.
    So, not always but rarely, when I come across a person with their pet dog, I patted one, I talked to them and did not make them feel left out because it is not just our duty as Muslims to stay away from haram or when as such happens to cleasse, but also to not hurt anyones feelings. So she felt happy when I did not treat her like I want to run and that i am disghusted or hate dogs etc... but then, when I went home, I did the 7x washing thing for myself and my clothes.
    And Allah knows best, we should be kind to our neighbours! Very important deed.

However, I wanted a more indepth knowledge with hadith proofs and evidence please, of why they can't be inside the home, including what happens when they are. That is if any of you may know.

And most importantly, THIS MAY BE FOR EVERYONE.. When patting a dog in Islam, you are not supposed to as it breaks wudu, ghusul etc and purity for prayer. And I hear when one touches/pats a dog, they should cleanse themselves 7 times with red mud, then wash themselves 7 times. Also to cleanse their clothers same way.

Is this true? Makes sense to me and I would follow anything for my religion, but I want to know what is best and more righteous.

Jazzak Allah Khayrun. I want to take a moment to Pray to Allah Almighty to forgive all your sinse, make us of the righteous, save you all from the punishment of the grave, and make it easy for us on Judgement day. May Allah grand you in Jannah and may we reunite in Jannah InshaAllah.

Have a blessed day filled with Allah's love, and indeed we always do, Allah Almighty loves his creation, those who believe in Him, His Messenger (SalAllah U Alayhi Wa Sallim), the Messengers (Alayhi Sallam to All), his angels and the last day.

Jazzak Allah, thank you for your comments.
    Last edited by ayla90; 23-12-17, 09:09 AM.

Salam alaikum

the reason for not keeping dogs in the home is exactly as you have stated,angels do not enter a home where there are dogs or picture.

from sahih Bukhari

Narrated Abu Talha:

The Prophet (sallahu alayhi wasalam) said, "Angels do not enter a house that has either a dog or a picture in it."

and here is another from sahih muslim

A'isha reported that Gabriel (peace be upon him) made a promise with Allah's Messenger (sallahu alayhi wasalm) to come at a definite hour; that hour came but he did not visit him. And there was in his hand (in the hand of Allah's Apostle) a staff. He threw it from his hand and said:

Never has Allah or His messengers (angels) ever broken their promise. Then he cast a glance (and by chance) found a puppy under his cot and said: 'A'isha, when did this dog enter here? She said: By Allah, I don't know He then commanded and it was turned out. Then Gabriel came and Allah's Messenger (sallahu alayhi wasalam) said to him: You promised me and I waited for you, but you did not come, whereupon he said: It was the dog in your house which prevented me (to come), for we (angels) do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture.

as for the idea that touching a dog breaks wudu I have searched for any evidence for this and asked scholars,I Can not find any evidence whatsoever,this appears to be a cultural superstition with no basis in Islam.

as for washing 7 times you got this partially right,here is the the full hadith from sunan an Nasa'i,graded sahih.

It was narrated from 'Abdullah bin Mughaffal that the Messenger of Allah (sallahu alyhi wasalam) commanded that dogs be killed, but he made an exception for hunting dogs and sheepdogs and said:
    "If a dog licks a vessel then wash it seven times and rub it the eighth time with dust."

I regularly come across people walking their dogs when going to the masjid and I enjoy petting their dogs if I ask the owner first to confirm the dog is well socialized and friendly. I make sure to pet the dog on it's back or head and avoid letting the dog lick me or my hands. Your right being kind to animals is encouraged.

From a personal perspecive My mother is small,getting old, lives alone and lives in a rough area that she refuses to move out of so I went a picked out a nice guard dog for her this last spring as the last guard dog I got her died of old age. The dog I got her is a rottweiler X great pyrenees. I prefer crossed dogs as they are generally smarter and easier to train thn purebreeds. I wanted a dog that would have natural gaurding instinct,be physically large enough to be a deterrent and one with a good strong voice.
    She is a kafirah and keeps the dog in the house against my wishes but now she feels safe and secure as even though the dog is only 7months old he is rather big(70lbs already and will get to be 120-160lbs.) he is highly protective of her and the house which is a huge relief to me. He is very wary of strange men, is quick to growl and bark and let them know they are not welcome unless invited.
    I feel at ease knowing my Mom has 24/7 security that will literally fight to the death to protect her. Whenever she goes out I tell her to take the dog with her in the truck and whenever she is home is on duty and ready to act. Someone could still break into my Moms house but the chances of them being able to hurt my Mom are very slim as once they got in they would be more concern about how to get out and away from the growling,angry,snapping dog and this would give my Mom a chance to call the police(who would then bring out another angry,snapping dog to sniff out and hunt down the perpetrator and arrest him,LOL)

Having a puppy to raise,train and love also fulfills my Mom natural instinct to "mother" now that me and my brother are grown and out of the house. The dogs keeps her company and keeps her from getting lonely and drinking.
    I've always been around dogs my whole life and know how incredibly valuable they can be when given a job such as hunting,herding and guarding which are the three permissible reasons to own a dog in Islam.

I consulted a scholar about this before I got the dog(which i didn't pay for) and because of the necessity it is allowed.
    Last edited by Samsandman; 23-12-17, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ayla90 View Post
      Salam Aleykum,

I, as many of us Muslims, know that having a dog as a pet in the home is not allowed, as I have read in Hadiths and how when they are in the home the angels leave, and don't enter homes etc..
      So I know that you are not supposed to have them as pets, especially inside the home, but if really want a dog or found one and wanted to support it etc.. you can only keep it outside as it is supposed to be in our deen.

And I just wanted to mention. In western contries, they look at us wierdly when we get away from the dog etc.. But also they have feelings as their owners, no matter what we should all be kind and smile and respect them, and also the dog has feelings to, it is a creation of Allah and senses and feels, and we should treat animals with kindness and care.
      So, not always but rarely, when I come across a person with their pet dog, I patted one, I talked to them and did not make them feel left out because it is not just our duty as Muslims to stay away from haram or when as such happens to cleasse, but also to not hurt anyones feelings. So she felt happy when I did not treat her like I want to run and that i am disghusted or hate dogs etc... but then, when I went home, I did the 7x washing thing for myself and my clothes.

However, I wanted a more indepth knowledge with hadith proofs and evidence please, of why they can't be inside the home, including what happens when they are. That is if any of you may know.

And most importantly, THIS MAY BE FOR EVERYONE.. When patting a dog in Islam, you are not supposed to as it breaks wudu, ghusul etc and purity for prayer. And I hear when one touches/pats a dog, they should cleanse themselves 7 times with red mud, then wash themselves 7 times. Also to cleanse their clothers same way.

Is this true? Makes sense to me and I would follow anything for my religion, but I want to know what is best and more righteous.

Jazzak Allah Khayrun. I want to take a moment to Pray to Allah Almighty to forgive all your sinse, make us of the righteous, save you all from the punishment of the grave, and make it easy for us on Judgement day. May Allah grand you in Jannah and may we reunite in Jannah InshaAllah.

Have a blessed day filled with Allah's love, and indeed we always do, Allah Almighty loves his creation, those who believe in Him, His Messenger (SalAllah U Alayhi Wa Sallim), the Messengers (Alayhi Sallam to All), his angels and the last day.

, 21/530.

Elsewhere he said:

That is because the basic principle is that substances are taahir, and it is not permissible to regard anything as naajis or haraam without evidence, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

[al-Tawbah 9:115], 11/246.

https://islamqa.info/en/69840
      Ibn Al Qayyim may Allah have mercy on him said: ("
      The heart on its journey towards Allah the Exalted is like that of a bird. Love is its head, and fear and hope are its two wings. When the head is healthy, then the two wings will fly well. When the head is cut off, the bird will die. When either of two wings is damaged, the bird becomes vulnerable to every hunter and predator..”
      )

Comment

Originally posted by ayla90 View Post
        Salam Aleykum,

wa alaykum salam

This fatwa is quite informative. It explains the conditions regarding owning a dog , and also explains their purity status. https://islamqa.info/en/69840

The majority of scholars believe that dogs are animals which transfer najaasa ( impurity ) through moisture. Coming in contact with it's impurity could immediately break your Wuduu' (Shafi'i position) , and/or invalidate your Salaah. Considering these severe implications , I feel uncomfortable even being around dogs - and I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Of course being kind and merciful to all of Allah's creation is great , but not at the cost of rendering our greatest acts of worship invalid. My family has owned dogs in the past ( they are not religious ). I assure you , most people will not be offended if you choose not to physically engage with their dogs. If being courteous is the objective , then this could be done in other ways - like asking about it's breed , age , diet , or through verbal compliments. Most dogs will not even allow you to pet them anyway - until they sniff or lick your hands which they instinctively do out of caution.

Comment

Working...
        X