Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing an apartment with a non-muslim

Hi!
    I live with my parents in the Netherlands and next year I am going to study in University in another city.
    My parents are refusing me going and sharing an apartment with another person because they are afraid of the housemate getting girls alcohol and drugs into the apartment. And that the housemate and living near a lot of friends would have a negative influence on me like going to bars and coffee shops.

I cannot rent a place on my own (financial)
    How can I convince my parents? Is there any suggestions?
    Thank you

It's impossible to share living space with a non-Muslim and not fall into matters prohibited in Islam.

As a parent myself, I can tell you there is no way that a child can convince a Muslim parent that moving in with a non-Muslim can ever work out. My suggestion is: don't even try to convince them.

Rather, look for an alternative. Can you study online from home? That would be my recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuNajm View Post
      It's impossible to share living space with a non-Muslim and not fall into matters prohibited in Islam.

As a parent myself, I can tell you there is no way that a child can convince a Muslim parent that moving in with a non-Muslim can ever work out. My suggestion is: don't even try to convince them.

Rather, look for an alternative. Can you study online from home? That would be my recommendation.
      Can I convince them to live on my own? What do you think about that?

Comment

Originally posted by AAA== View Post

Can I convince them to live on my own? What do you think about that?
        Your parents know you better than you know yourself and that's mostly because they've already made all the mistakes you're going to make and avoided the ones they want you to avoid.

Can you convince them to live on your own? Not if you've already expressed to them your idea of moving in with non-Muslims. That alone shows you're not ready to make good choices on your own.

If you haven't shared that idea with them? Probably not, because chances are you've made a hundred smaller decisions around the house that show you would make a decision like move in with non-Muslims, and they've probably noticed those bad choices but haven't said anything.

Don't feel bad towards your parents. Your generation is notorious for taking longer to mature economically and socially. It's not your fault either, what with all the technology and wages not keeping up with inflation. Children have access to information far earlier than their minds are equipped to handle and process it and the cost of living has skyrocketed so that no one even thinks of having children or "settling down" until they're done accumulating enough debt from attending university or trade school [in the US] or living la vida loca [in the state-paid tuition countries of Europe].

Life is not work and play. It is building something for our children and the generations after that which entails working hard and cultivating a family culture that instills Islam, minimalism in living, and love for Jihad and Mujahideen. Our best generations are yet to come, In Sha' Allah. However we've got to start raising them sooner than later. They're not going to be born from university curricula or mosque foundation summer camps.

Comment

It's impossible to share living space with a non-Muslim and not fall into matthave ers prohibited in Islam.

If you have your own room, how is it impossible? You keep to yourself.
          You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

That's not true. I did it in first year uni and didn't fall into bad stuff like drinking or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Medic View Post

That's not true. I did it in first year uni and didn't fall into bad stuff like drinking or whatever.
              Not everyone is resilient as you why risk being near these people of kufr
              it coupd make someone easily go from imaan to kufr and sin

Comment

Working...
              X