Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My name?

Re: My name?

salam brother allahmdulilah nice to see you have come to the haq the truth..
    if you not happy with your name just change it tosomehting you like.. especially if you dont have your fathers name..
    choose a nice muslim name which has a good meaning
    :asta: :hidban::(:confused:
    Good Quran recitation site
    THE REAL VICTIMS OF TERRORISM

Comment

yeah you could pick any muslim name which you like insha allah :)
      a good site which may help u is muslim-names.co.uk
      <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

FOR some reason i think you should keep your name. The Christains and jews were right in some part of history so they probley had names like that and it was acceptable. If it means as u say then i guess dont use that one just use like Thomas. If i wore u i would keep me name. ITS ALL UR CHOICE !!! :D
        Surat Al-An'am verse 26: Of them there are some who (pretend to) listen to thee; but We have thrown veils on their hearts, so they understand it not, and deafness in their ears; if they saw every one of the Signs, they will not believe in them; in so much that when they come to thee; they (but) dispute with thee; the Unbelievers say: "These are nothing but tales of the ancients."

Comment

Originally posted by perfectpearl View Post
          FOR some reason i think you should keep your name. The Christains and jews were right in some part of history so they probley had names like that and it was acceptable. If it means as u say then i guess dont use that one just use like Thomas. If i wore u i would keep me name. ITS ALL UR CHOICE !!! :D
          I am tending to agree with perfectpearl. I dont beleive there is a great necessity to change your name unless the meaning of the present name is bad or you dont realy like then its your choice. Someone once told me, Muhammed (SAW), Abubakr (RA), Othman (RA), all these were pre islamic names. When they were given the names, islam was not even present. Once the relevation started and islam started, hardly anyone changed their names so its just a point. Only change your name if you really want to.

If you want to change the name, then research various names and their meaning. There should be quite a few websites for those but dont know form top of my head

Comment

I think Muhammad was a new name, it was not a name which was heard of when it was given to rasoolallah :saw: as a baby.
            As for the meanings of Thomas and Patrick, I know that Thomas means twin and I found that Patrick means noble man. There is not anything wrong with those meanings that would make it compulsory to change it insha allah, but if you wish to you could
            <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

:start:
              :wswrwb:

Question:

Is it mandatory for one who newly embraces Islaam to change his or her name?

Answer:

He or she is not required to change his or her name unless it embodies the worship of someone or something other then God, Allaah. However, its amelioration by choosing a new Islamic name is legitimate and encouraged. The fact that he or she would change his or her name from a pagan or non-Islamic name to an Islamic one would be considered commendable--however, it is not mandatory.

Thus, if one's name is Abdul-Messiah, for example, or similar such names, then he is obligated to change it, as the Prophet (peace upon him) had people with the names Abdul-Ka'bah and Abdul-Uzzah change their names upon accepting Islaam.

If the original name does not comprise or imply anything forbidden in Islaam, then he or she is permitted to retain it (such as the name George, for example). As noted, though, it is preferable to change it to an Islaamic name, as this also distinguishes him or her from the kuffaar.

Note that if changing one's name in official documents and records poses a great inconvenience, it would suffice to change it among the people. In this case, he or she is called by his or her new name by friends, acquaintances, and the general public, while offical documents would retain the original given name.

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=372&ln=eng

names and nicknames: http://islamqa.com/index.php?cref=40...1000000&ln=eng

Comment

But it is also so that you have to keep your fathers name ? right i have read that several places, and actually according to those it is said that the prophet Muhammad (SAW) has said that the ones that do not recocnice their fathers (change name relations) will not go to heaven?

But this does not count if one (like me) was born without marriage... =( then it is forbidden to use the fathers name... i have read that one then should use that mothers name? does this rule of names also apply if their names have a bad/illegal meaning?

Comment

salam brother i thnk insha allah u shud consult a scholar with ur specific questions as we here can give u really only general answers not for ur specific situation as we are not scholars

Comment

Wow! allah surely allways gives to whom askes him!

At the time when i first posted in this forum, i also wrote an email with the same message to Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid whom has the exelent page: http://islamqa.com and yesterday i again prayed to allmighty allah to please help me with my name problem.

And this very day i get the following message from the Sheikh:

Asslamu alaikum,

As long as this is your mother's name and it has a bad meaning, you can change your name to be Abdullah or AbdulRahman as this means that you are the servant of Allah and this is true and applies to everyone.

You first name can remain as it is.

--
                    www.islamqa.com

So that is the answer to a person in my situation, i give my greatest thanks to the allmighty allah and post this so that others can benefit from this :)

Comment

masha allah :)

Comment

Originally posted by tj1876 View Post
                        But it is also so that you have to keep your fathers name ? right i have read that several places, and actually according to those it is said that the prophet Muhammad (SAW) has said that the ones that do not recocnice their fathers (change name relations) will not go to heaven?

But this does not count if one (like me) was born without marriage... =( then it is forbidden to use the fathers name... i have read that one then should use that mothers name? does this rule of names also apply if their names have a bad/illegal meaning?
                        as salamu alaikum,

Yes, you're right. A child must be given his father's name unless he was born out of wedlock then mother's name is given to the child.

MashaAllah, the Sheikh has answered your question.

wassalam

Comment

assalam o alaikum
                          what about Nasr ullah

Comment

Assalaam Alakium,

Obligation of changing one's name upon accepting Islaam
                            Is it mandatory for one who newly embraces Islaam to change his or her name?

al-hamdu lillaah.
                            He or she is not required to change his or her name unless it embodies the worship of someone or something other then God, Allaah. However, its amelioration by choosing a new Islamic name is legitimate and encouraged. The fact that he or she would change his or her name from a pagan or non-Islamic name to an Islamic one would be considered commendable--however, it is not mandatory.
                            Thus, if one's name is Abdul-Messiah, for example, or similar such names, then he is obligated to change it, as the Prophet (peace upon him) had people with the names Abdul-Ka'bah and Abdul-Uzzah change their names upon accepting Islaam.
                            If the original name does not comprise or imply anything forbidden in Islaam, then he or she is permitted to retain it (such as the name George, for example). As noted, though, it is preferable to change it to an Islaamic name, as this also distinguishes him or her from the kuffaar.
                            Note that if changing one's name in official documents and records poses a great inconvenience, it would suffice to change it among the people. In this case, he or she is called by his or her new name by friends, acquaintances, and the general public, while offical documents would retain the original given name.

Taken from
                            http://www.al-sunnah.com/convert/obl...anging_one.htm

List of Names
                            http://muslimconverts.com/muslimnames/index.htm

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X