Women's place is still in kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's place is still in kitchen

A woman's place is still in the kitchen even when she works full-time outside the home, researchers have discovered.

A study by Newcastle University's Human Nutrition Research Centre has found that 75% of women do most of the family cooking and food shopping.

Despite the rise of celebrity chefs, men viewed cooking as an occasional hobby or a chance to show off, it said.

However, when it comes to slaving over a hot stove on a daily basis, women still bear the main responsibility.

The study of nearly 200 men and women in their 30s found that among the women, 79% were mainly responsible for their household's food shopping and 72% were mainly responsible for preparing and cooking food.

'Unnecessary treats'
    The reasons given for this ranged from women having more time to shop and cook, to the belief that women made healthier food choices.
    Some women said they did the shopping because they thought could do it faster than their partner, who was often tempted by "unnecessary treats".

Lead researcher Dr Amelia Lake said: "Women have made great progress in terms of equal opportunities over the last few decades so it surprised us to find that many women, even in this relatively young age group, assumed the traditional female role of chief cook and food shopper.

"Celebrity chefs such as Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay have helped change the image of cooking as 'women's work' and many cook books are aimed at men.

"Yet our research suggested men like to use cooking as a chance to show off occasionally, while women are left with the day-to-day chores."
    She added that men's culinary showpieces included barbecues, Sunday lunches and speciality dishes such as curries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/6171297.stm
    My Lord, my trust in all Your purposes is strong, That trust is now my shield; I'm safe, and undeceived.- Ali bin Husayn al-Habshi

Real forsaking is forgetting the thing forsaken.- Shaykh al-Shadhili

Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it. - Jibreel (as)

ياَ أَبَا اَلزَّهْرَاء وَلَّذِي صَانَكْ- لاَتُخَيِّبْنَا يَا سِيْدِي نَحْنُ ضِيْفَانَكْ
    O father of Zahra, for the sake of the One who protected you,
    Please do not leave us disappointed, O master, we are your guests. - Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi (rh)

أَنتَ رَبّي وَ عِلْمُكَ حَسْبِيْ. فَنِعْمَ الرَّبُّ رَبِّي وَ نِعْمَ الحَسْبُ حَسْبِيْ.ـ حِزْبُ البَحْر

Re: Women's place is still in kitchen

...masha allah? :I
    Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Kitchen:hidban:

Comment

Lol unique.

Interesting article mashallah, esp coming from non-muslims.

but what if your a hazard in the kitchen :D :D

Comment

so your, just telling the women out there that there place has been decided when their gender was chosen. NICE :banan:

but you need to tell my sisters that

Comment

u carnt beet d tradishuns blud! :hidban:
            Please sort out your Signature, it's rubbish.

Comment

interesting but not suprising!
              <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

kitchen sinks are ergonomically designed for women. :up:
                Rabbana atinaa fidDunya hasanatan wa fil Akhirati hasanatan wa qinaa adhaban Naar

Comment

and irons r gettin' lighter these days, so women can lift them with ease.
                  Rabbana atinaa fidDunya hasanatan wa fil Akhirati hasanatan wa qinaa adhaban Naar

Comment

i like cookin ..

only if i dont have to do the cleaning

Comment

My dad just cooked and got the kids to bed :) :love:
                      Knowledge and intelligence leads one who possesses it to do good acts and prevents him from evil.

Ignorance on the other hand, calls the one who is ignorant to conform to his desires, even if it is harmful to him.

Comment

Originally posted by muslimah85 View Post
                        mashaAllah

Comment

Originally posted by bint View Post
                          i like cookin ..

only if i dont have to do the cleaning
                          I adore cooking! :inlove: Its soo relaxing :D
                          Knowledge and intelligence leads one who possesses it to do good acts and prevents him from evil.

Ignorance on the other hand, calls the one who is ignorant to conform to his desires, even if it is harmful to him.

Comment

I adore cooking! :inlove: Its soo relaxing :D
                            mann double mashaAllah...:inlove:

Comment

Masha'allah, you escaped :)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X