Is Sheesha Haram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Sheesha Haram?

So many muslims go out, have a sheesha together, it seems nice and smells really good. But ive heard its haram as, it has tobacco and this is always bad for you, no matter if its in large or small amounts. So this means you are hurting yourself on purpose by having sheesha. Your not allowed to hurt urself on purpose in Islam therefore sheesha = haram. So why do so many muslims do it? Why do so many muslim countries do it --> Pakistan, UAE, Saudi, Yemen. Why do muslim grocery stores sell it? Why are muslims smoking it???????????
    What happened to the Ummah once known so well, greatness was known but now can you tell. 1 9 2 4 :shahadah:

Re: Is Sheesha Haram?

Everybody in Saudi smoked something. What exactly is sheesha? A mix of tobacco and something else? Wacky weedus? Some of the Bengalis I worked with in Saudi used to mix opium in with their tobacco....

Edit: I take that back ... it was the Filipinos ... I don't know what the Bengalis were smoking but it smelled good ...
    Last edited by Ignatius F. Peace; 22-10-06, 05:06 PM. Reason: memory lapses

Comment

I follow the opinion that it is treated the same as smoking cigarettes, which is haraam... personally i never did it and never would insha allah.
      Sheesha will get banned anyway, with the public smoking ban. So ppl can only do it in their home. I think this will actually b a benefit for those Muslims who are into smoking it
      .: Rufaida :.
      .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
      http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
      “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
      but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
      ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
      <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

What's Sheesha? :scratch:

Comment

Originally posted by anna2000uk View Post
          I follow the opinion that it is treated the same as smoking cigarettes, which is haraam... personally i never did it and never would insha allah.
          Sheesha will get banned anyway, with the public smoking ban. So ppl can only do it in their home. I think this will actually b a benefit for those Muslims who are into smoking it
          I agree :up:

research shows sheesha is far more harmful than cigarettes.
          "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the Jizya. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"
          Khalid ibn al-Walid (ra) -Muslim General addressing the Persian rulers, 633 CE

My Blog

Comment

As Salamu 'Alaikum everyone!

I am not a scholar so will not comment as to whether Sheesha should be legally categorized as haram or not, but there is strong evidence that it is at least as harmful as cigarette smoking, if not more so.

The following is an article from Science Daily about hooka/sheesha use:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0930094435.htm

Hold The Hookah: Researcher Warns Against Trendy Tobacco Use

The growing fad of smoking tobacco through a waterpipe, sometimes
            known as a hookah, is rapidly turning into a worrisome epidemic,
            according to a Georgetown University researcher who says smokers who
            think this form of tobacco use is less toxic than cigarettes are wrong.

"People who use these devices don't realize that they could be
            inhaling what is believed to be the equivalent of a pack of cigarettes
            in one typical 30-60 minute session with a waterpipe, because such a
            large quantity of pure, shredded tobacco is used," said Christopher
            Loffredo, Ph.D., Director of the Cancer Genetics and Epidemiology
            program at Georgetown University Medical Center.

His series of recently published studies documents the trend toward
            waterpipe tobacco smoking, showing how it has swept through the Middle
            East and is gaining popularity in the West, and demonstrates that the
            amount of cellular chromosomal damage produced inside the mouth is the
            same as that seen in cigarette smoking.

Yet waterpipe cafes or bars have been popping up all over the Eastern
            Mediterranean region over the past decade, Loffredo said. "In Egypt,
            we've seen boys starting to smoke the waterpipe at age 12, and young
            women, who are culturally discouraged from smoking cigarettes, are
            flocking to it," said Loffredo, who has been studying tobacco use in
            that country since 1997.

The trend has now hit European and American cities, especially college
            towns. "This is frightening because it is a gateway toward a lifetime
            use of tobacco, including cigarettes," he said.

Waterpipes were originally developed to smoke hashish and other
            substances, but were long ago adapted into a method to smoke tobacco.
            Use of the device is common throughout the Middle East, where it is
            goes by a number of different names - shisha in Egypt, hookah in
            Pakistan and India, and narghile in a number of countries from Turkey
            to Israel - but has historically been "a habit of older men, usually
            of low socioeconomic level, in rural areas and in older parts of
            cities," he said.

But the waterpipe has gained wider appeal since the early 1990s,
            accompanied by alterations in waterpipe size and design and also in
            tobacco content and flavorings, Loffredo said. "These changes are
            designed to attract more customers to the habit, and there has even
            been the introduction of tobacco home delivery service in some areas."

Several popular clubs in the Washington, DC, area, offer hookah pipes
            at a fee, using tobacco flavored by apples, molasses, or other
            ingredients. The pipe is often a social activity in that it is usually
            passed between participants, and is believed to be less toxic,
            Loffredo said.

"People think the water absorbs the toxins, and that is true to some
            extent if the toxins are water soluble, but tar isn't, and tar
            contains the carcinogens, " he said. "We believe that, compared to the
            typical cigarette smoker, waterpipe smokers are exposed to larger
            total amounts of nicotine, carbon monoxide and certain other toxins."

"And because the tobacco is burning at a lower temperature, it is more
            tolerable to inhale deeply, and in fact you need more force to pull
            air through the high resistance of the water pathway," Loffredo said.
            "That means the tobacco smoke can be penetrating deeper in a person's
            respiratory tract than cigarette smoke does. The damage could be even
            worse than seen in cigarette smokers, but we haven't done studies long
            enough to quantify the true cancer risk."

Even so, the incidence of lung cancer is increasing rapidly in Egypt
            and other Middle Eastern countries, comparable to lung cancer rates in
            the U.S. after cigarette smoking became newly fashionable, Loffredo said.

His insights into "this significant and spreading epidemic of
            waterpipe smoking" were included in a recently released World Health
            Organization monograph authored by his research group. He also
            published a study in the July/August issue of the pathology journal
            Acta Cytologica about a new method his group developed to collect
            cheek cells from inside a participant' s mouth, which can then be
            stained to gauge the chromosomal condition of these cells. They used
            this technique to study waterpipe smoking in a rural Egyptian village,
            and reported in a second study, published in 2003 in the Journal of
            the Egyptian Society of Parasitology, that the level of damage is
            comparable to what happens to cigarette smokers.

The trend is also having a disproportionate impact on college-aged
            women. Another study, reported in a forthcoming issue of the journal
            Nicotine and Tobacco Research, documents how women attending
            university in Cairo have gravitated to waterpipe tobacco smoking,
            which is traditionally "culturally abnormal for women to smoke
            cigarettes, at least in front of their husbands and families." The
            presence of waterpipe cafes frees women from social stigma, allowing
            them to view use of waterpipe tobacco in the context of social and
            economic liberation, Loffredo said. Yet the researchers found that
            these students, even those in medical school, had only an average
            knowledge of tobacco-related health hazards.

Loffredo, whose studies are funded by the National Institutes of
            Health, says the entire field of waterpipe health effects "is ripe for
            new and comprehensive research," including toxicological and
            pathological investigation to precisely determine heath risks, he
            said. "The world really didn't foresee the epidemic of waterpipe
            tobacco smoking, and now it is time to pay attention," Loffredo said.
            -Sithara :)

:shahadah:

Comment

Originally posted by Nisaa View Post
              What's Sheesha? :scratch:

Its like a large water pipe, i smoked it in Sinai for a while, people usualy smoke flavoured tobaco, its very relaxing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

Comment

One Sheesha Is Equivalent to Smoking 18 Cigarettes
                URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Noah View Post

Its like a large water pipe, i smoked it in Sinai for a while, people usualy smoke flavoured tobaco, its very relaxing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah
                  A smoke and a Coke ... cool pic ... :up:

Comment

Originally posted by anna2000uk View Post
                    Smoking is haram? If so, I am amazed... Muslim countries are full of heavy smokers.
                    Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Makrooh Tahrimi !

Comment

Keep away from sheesha...I think a lot of ppl do sheesha bcos they think it look scool also they go to check out the guys and gyals
                        Yawmaithin tu’a A’radoona la takhfa minkum khafiyatun [69:18]
                        :love:
                        "Then which of the blessings of your Lord will you deny?" (Qur'an 55:13)

Comment

I heard it was makrook (disliked) but not haram (forbidden)...also I like the apple tobacco in my argile please

Comment

there were fatwas before saying it is makrooh, but as the health implication of smoking was seen ie causing cancer etc majority of fatawa have come saying it is haraam.. many sheikhs changed their view to a stricter one in light of the science finding about it. Also smoking is an addiction and waste of money, niether of which is encouraged.
                            Even if its "only makrooh" none should be happy and want to do it. Makrooh means something disliked and hated... yet we want to do it? or say "oh cool its only makrooh not haraam.. we cn do it!" some people are addicted bt insha allah at least start with the desire 2 stop this habit and make dua for Allah's assistance in leaving it
                            .: Rufaida :.
                            .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
                            http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
                            “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
                            but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
                            ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
                            <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Is smoking harram or makrooh? Cuz omg you'd be SURP plus Prised, plus SURPRISED how many smokers are in arab countries.
                              [CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Black"][U][COLOR="Red"]"Like when the Shaytan says to man; Disbelieve, but when he disbelieves, he says:[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"] I am innocent of thy sin; Surely i fear Allah, the Lord of the worlds."-059.016

Surah Al Hashr-READ IT![/COLOR][/U][/FONT][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X