Question on Niqab or Burqa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Niqab or Burqa

Let me first make it clear that this is one of the few occasions where I agree with Jack Straw. The face-covering veil (niqab) is an unnecessary and unnatural attire which can make interlocutors feel uncomfortable. And there is nothing Islamic about it. When Islam spread from the Arabian Peninsula into the Byzantine empire the Muslims picked it up from the Christians. Church teaching in those days was that since Eve was the temptress who made Adam loose paradise, women were soul-less and evil and must be veiled from men in order to protect them from temptation. Since veiling was impractical for women working the fields, only upper class ladies covered their faces. When the Muslim women saw them they considered it a status symbol and imitated the practice. Thankfully it did not become the norm since Islam only mandates a head cover which leaves the face unveiled. When the Saudis tried to insist that women entering the Kaaba during the Hajj pilgrimage should cover their faces, this move was universally rejected as unsound and unfounded in Islamic jurisprudence. Sadly, the Saudis have developed an obsession with the alleged temptation emanating from women not unlike that of the early Byzantines, probably because it excuses men when straying from the path.

However, I doubt Jack Straw's motives. He's never been one for making a principled stance. He has always been a career politician. It seems that to position oneself in the Labour party after Blair one has to show that one is tough on Muslim aspirations to assert their identity. John Reid earned brownie points by telling Muslim parents to guard their children from the evil influence of radicalisation and terrorism. Jack Straw does not want to be seen as weak and dependent on the large Muslim populace amongst his constituents. He is throwing his hat in the ring of the current debate on multiculturalism and community relationships, calculating that his comment will only offend a few Muslims and not the mainstream.

By doing so, however, he is guilty of what Muslim men were always being accused of: telling women how to dress. In an interview on Radio 4 he clearly stated that the veiled women he talked to dressed in this fashion not because their husbands asked them to, but because they themselves wanted to do so. There is a big difference between voicing an opinion on whether a certain pattern of dress seems appropriate and actually asking people to change their attire. An MP might not be too charmed by a young lad with a studded face coming to him for advice, but to ask him to remove that ring from his eyebrow before listening to him would be considered patronising and unacceptable. That an MP feels justified in asking Muslim women to remove their veil indicates that British society today is no longer defining itself independently by its own values, but negatively by what it perceives to be unacceptable in the other. Just as the Muslims adopting the veil from Byzantine Christian women compromised their own theology by doing so, secular Western society by its obsession with providing an antithesis to Islam is beginning to dismantle its own system of beliefs. The very society that still argues about freedom and choice has become restrictive and prescriptive.

http://flyingimam.blogspot.com/
    Please Re-update your Signature

Re: The Niqab is not a requirement of Islam

Of course it's not

Comment

acordin to u two it isnt fardh.

according to me and a few others it is.

it is stated clearly in the quran.
      “The great Imam ash-Shafi’, he went to his teacher Waki`
      Complaining about the weakness of his memory.
      He told him, ‘abandon rebellion, for knowledge is a light
      And the light of Allah is not bestowed upon a rebel.”

Comment

Originally posted by PersianPaladin View Post
        . When Islam spread from the Arabian Peninsula into the Byzantine empire the Muslims picked it up from the Christians. Church teaching in those days was that since Eve was the temptress who made Adam loose paradise, women were soul-less and evil and must be veiled from men in order to protect them from temptation. Since veiling was impractical for women working the fields, only upper class ladies covered their faces. When the Muslim women saw them they considered it a status symbol and imitated the practice. [/url]
        Neocons and their likes still trying to rewrite Islamic history eh Alhamdullilah I'm glad Muslims don't take them seriously.

Integr8 this :hidban:

:p
        An African American prisoner is put into a cell with a Muslim prisoner.

The African American prisoner says: “I don’t think I got a fair trial”

So the Muslim prisoner responds “you got a trial?”

Comment

The niqab is not for the faint-hearted. And you are right, the niqab is more than a piece of material covering the face, it means much more than that to the sisters with sincere intentions. Many of them are wearing it out of pure love for the Mothers of the Believers. They would do anything to try and follow in their footsteps. There's a hadith that says 'whoever dresses like a people is one of them.' Of course we can never compare with our Mothers, but we can only hope to be raised up with them on the day of Judgement. Insha Allah!

There are sisters who do go out of the Muslim areas alone in the niqab, but they are the ones who don't care what the people say or do, they only fear the One Who ought to be feared. Their voices are ringing in my ears: 'I put the niqab on for Allah, and I'm not going to take it off for anybody!' Another one has told me: 'The Creation of Allah has no power, Allah is The Doer of Everything.' They have absolute firm belief in Allah the Most High. Subhan'Allah

You can draw closer to Allah subhaanahu wa'taala by nafl (extra) acts of worship, and the niqab is one of those

Comment

“…And when you ask (his [the Prophet’s] wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen…”
            [al-Ahzaab 33:53]

Al- Bukhaari narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: “May Allaah have mercy on the first Muhaajir women. When Allaah revealed the words ‘and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)’ they tore their aprons and covered their faces with them.”

Abu Dawood (4101) narrated that Umm Salamah said: “When the words to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies [al-Ahzaab 33:59] were revealed, the women of the Ansaar went out looking as if there were crows on their heads because of the covering.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

The Muhaajir and Ansaari women obeyed this command and covered their faces.
            Last edited by sapphire_blue; 18-10-06, 12:04 AM.

Comment

General consensus among the scholars is that women must atleast where the hijab. They don't mention the Niqaab or the Burqah. Some go as far as to say that that is an Arabic cultural element.

Comment

General consensus amongst the scholars is that women should also cover their face. Haven't heard a reputable scholar say it is arab culture yet...

Comment

that's rediculous IMO

the qurans rulings are clear , cover up beauties (eg loose baggy clothes etc)

Comment

Originally posted by saphire View Post
                    General consensus amongst the scholars is that women should also cover their face. Haven't heard a reputable scholar say it is arab culture yet...
                    No the general consensus is just the hijab is the minimum but SOME have said niqab is needed. And they would NEVER say it is a fardh, because when something is a fardh, there can be no difference of opinion on it. The highest it can be is wajib.

Scholars view on the niqab: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...D=1334&CATE=88

Seems like niqab is better to wear due to what scholars have said on the topic, but not the best idea in the West according to some:

Is it necessary to wear niqab? Isn't the hijab enough?

In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful and Compassionate
                    In the West, and for those in difficult social or family situations in Muslim lands, what is emphasized and unquestionable is the obligation for women to wear hijab.

As for wearing niqab (the face veil), this was considered necessary (wajib) by the classical scholars of the Hanafi school, as well as other Sunni schools such as the Shafi`i school. However, this is often not reasonably possible to follow for many people, given their personal, family, or social situation.

The Transmitted Ruling

The transmitted position of the Hanafi school is that a woman’s face, though not considered of a woman’s ‘nakedness’ (awrah), is necessary (wajib) to cover because of the fitna involved in not doing so. This mentioned in virtually all its major texts, including the Hashiya of Ibn Abidin, the Hashiya of al-Tahtawi, al-Bahr al-Ra’iq, al-Hidaya, its commentaries, and other texts.

The Ruling For Our Times and Situation

As for what the ruling is in our times, the scholars differ.
                    Some scholars say that this ruling would remain the “basic ruling” on the matter. As Shaykh Wahbi Sulayman Ghawji, a Syrian Hanafi scholar of Albanian origin, shows, the evidence for covering the face is far stronger, from the Qur’an, Sunna, and is the position of the vast majority of classical Qur’anic exegetes, hadith commentators, and jurists.
                    However, as Shaykh Mahmoud Ashraf Usmani and other major god-fearing scholars explain, in our times, what we necessarily emphasize is the need to wear hijab. For many people, and in many situations, this is all that is reasonably possible to wear.

I heard similar rulings from scholars in Damascus. This is also what major traditional scholars who understand the reality of Muslims in the West state.

And Allah knows best.
                    Wassalam,

Faraz Rabbani
                    Last edited by Z-Blade; 18-10-06, 02:38 AM.
                    "How often it is that a small action is made great by its intention, and a great action is made small by its intention." [Abdullah ibn al-Mubarak]

The Messenger of Allah raised us, And with Islam gave us life,
                    And taught us to become... aides to the religion of Allah
                    We became united by the light of his guidance, As brethren and like relatives
                    And he watered our souls every time... we were thirsty for faith.
                    Rasul Allah Nasheed by Abu Ali

Comment

I had a niqqabi sister say something to me once that was really beautiful. She said if you are blessed for hijab you will be more blessed with niqab. It is simply a womans intentions to be completely modest, her choice. I am a hijabi and to be honest I have seen sisters wearing hijab with this transparent material, or pile on makeup..so what is the point? If these sisters feel stronger in their deen for wearing niqab then Jazakum allah kheir.

Comment

Originally posted by EmHachem View Post
                        I have seen sisters wearing hijab with this transparent material, or pile on makeup..so what is the point?
                        Haha, agreed with that bit. What comes to mind is that teacher who got suspended for wearing the niqab and she had makeup on her eyes?! And maybe even around the eyes?! :O What's the point of the niqab then eh? ;o
                        "How often it is that a small action is made great by its intention, and a great action is made small by its intention." [Abdullah ibn al-Mubarak]

The Messenger of Allah raised us, And with Islam gave us life,
                        And taught us to become... aides to the religion of Allah
                        We became united by the light of his guidance, As brethren and like relatives
                        And he watered our souls every time... we were thirsty for faith.
                        Rasul Allah Nasheed by Abu Ali

Comment

Originally posted by PersianPaladin View Post
                          Let me first make it clear that this is one of the few occasions where I agree with Jack Straw. The face-covering veil (niqab) is an unnecessary and unnatural attire which can make interlocutors feel uncomfortable. And there is nothing Islamic about it. When Islam spread from the Arabian Peninsula into the Byzantine empire the Muslims picked it up from the Christians. Church teaching in those days was that since Eve was the temptress who made Adam loose paradise, women were soul-less and evil and must be veiled from men in order to protect them from temptation. Since veiling was impractical for women working the fields, only upper class ladies covered their faces. When the Muslim women saw them they considered it a status symbol and imitated the practice. Thankfully it did not become the norm since Islam only mandates a head cover which leaves the face unveiled. When the Saudis tried to insist that women entering the Kaaba during the Hajj pilgrimage should cover their faces, this move was universally rejected as unsound and unfounded in Islamic jurisprudence. Sadly, the Saudis have developed an obsession with the alleged temptation emanating from women not unlike that of the early Byzantines, probably because it excuses men when straying from the path.
                          Thanks for that info, i didnt know it was a Byzantine (Greek-sworn enemy of Islam) practice.

Comment

Muslims didn't pick it up from the Byzantines. The women at the time of the Prophet(SAW) covered their faces.

In fact, so did the mujahideen when they fought.

Covering the face is a practice deeply rooted in Islam. Trying to deny that is just foolish...I can see a 19th century "scholar"'s book comin along... :p

-Rashid
                            :hidban:

Comment

Very stupid.

Look at Muslim Malaysian ladies, they don`t wear niqab because they know that it is very unsuitable for hot weather in their country ( Malaysia is not too hot actually, but Arab countries in Summer are damn HOT ! ) yet they are very progressed and forward-looking people.

I don`t understand why we all have to argue about this unimportant issue, who is better than who, who is more Islamic than who

The most important thing in our Islamic teaching is the FAITH ! Now many Muslims , wearing headscarf or not, are losing their FAITH due to extreme poverty and poor infrastructures , plus social instablities in their countries.
                              Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Working...
                              X