Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Vegetarian?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Going Vegetarian?

    Salaam brothers and sisters,

    Any vegetarians here? I'm thinking of maybe going Vegetarian or semi, so anyone tried this? Heard it might have health benefits.

    #2
    Re: Going Vegetarian?

    alaikum wasalam

    Do you think this is permissible?

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Going Vegetarian?

      Was salam

      I'm completely plant based with the occasional bit of honey when I'm ill.

      I've never liked meat and stopped eating it the moment I was allowed to make my own meals, so can't help you with that bit.

      Giving up dairy was hard (dairy is addictive as it contains mild opiates) as I used to live off the stuff. But after I went completely dairy free my 13year old hacking cough cleared up and my crippling anxiety has reduced to manageable levels. I actually also had damaged kidneys as a child because I consumed so much animal protein from all that milk. Milk also contains oestrogen and progesterone, so there's something to think about as you're a brother!

      Eggs are the thing I still miss, and I'm still trying to get rescue hen eggs from Stepney farm (they treat their animals really well) but they're always sold out!

      To be honest it hasn't been that hard overall. I've actually increased the variety of food I eat (TEMPEH oh my gosh yummy). 5 years ago my mum would never have believed that I'd eat eggplant! The actual hardest part was actually realising that other people had no objection to the cruelty of factory farming -- so if this is a reason for you, save your breath. There's a link in my signature you can read if you're interested.

      If you avoid animal protein your body will become more alkaline which is better for your kidneys and bones. Protein isn't as big an issue as people make out. Eat a variety of food and snack on nuts and seeds for a boost. I personally love soya although I know there is scare mongering, so any kind of bean or lentil will do too. But it's really not that big a deal. Protein deficiency usually happens when you're actually starving, as in not eating enough full stop.

      Take a B12 supplement every day. Please research this.

      Oh and here's a joke: how can you tell if someone is vegetarian? Give them 10 seconds and they'll tell you.
      I think all veg*ns will have gone through that stage hehe. Try to avoid it.

      Also you may have to put up with lectures from Muslims about how you're making the halal haram which is not even what it's about. It's like olives are sunnah, but if those olives were stolen from a Palestinian by an Israeli would you buy them? Milk is mentioned in the Quran but if drinking it makes my anxiety crippling should I drink it to the detriment of my mental health and my kidneys?

      I'll stop now or I'll go on forever :)

      Ps qurbani is still wajib. I don't think sacrificing a watermelon counts.
      Islamic Prints
      ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
      PALEO!

      Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Going Vegetarian?

        Originally posted by Samsandman View Post
        alaikum wasalam

        Do you think this is permissible?
        Yes there are various fatawa. Although I guess it depends on your intention.

        ETA: to reiterate what I said in the previous post it's not about saying that meat is murder etc. It's about making a personal decision for your health and also objecting to the cruel conditions farm animals endure. Yes Rasulullah (saw) ate cheese but he also forbade cruelty to animals. Which sunnah takes precedence? For me the second as this option causes no suffering to anyone.
        Last edited by C Bear; 05-11-17, 10:21 AM.
        Islamic Prints
        ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
        PALEO!

        Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Going Vegetarian?

          Originally posted by C Bear View Post
          Yes there are various fatawa. Although I guess it depends on your intention.
          Never seen a fatwa like that and all the fatawa I've seen Plus the Quran and sunnah say otherwise.

          https://islamqa.info/en/2521

          might want to sit down and re-read the quran,seerh and look at a few hadith.

          You say Qurbani is wajib but what do you do with the meat once the animal is slaughtered?
          some of the facts you present like milk containing opiates and is addictive is pretty much complete nonsense.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Going Vegetarian?

            Originally posted by C Bear View Post
            Was salam

            I'm completely plant based with the occasional bit of honey when I'm ill.
            Jazak'Allah Khayra for that sister, it was a really enjoyable read and this lifestyle is something im going to seriously consider.

            I'm interested in health benefits more than anything, as you've said yourself your anxiety was reduced Masha'Allah good to hear.

            Although animal cruelty isn't my main factor in considering the move to vegetarianism/veganism it's still something to think about.

            Thank you very much and I'll check out the link you have in your signature and do more research for myself. :)

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Going Vegetarian?

              Originally posted by Deen95 View Post
              Salaam brothers and sisters,

              Any vegetarians here? I'm thinking of maybe going Vegetarian or semi, so anyone tried this? Heard it might have health benefits.
              Wa alejkum alsalam.

              I am not vegetarian but I hate red meat. I just never liked the taste of it. I only eat chicken and fish.
              Overall, I have a weak stomach so eating "heavy" stuff is just bad for me. Meat is to much for me to handle.

              If you love meat, becoming vegetarian will be hard. But it gets better and easier over time.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Going Vegetarian?

                Walaykum salam,

                I'm not vegetarian but I do think going vegetarian or semi veggie is a good idea health wise as long as you do it with the understanding that when meat is raised and slaughtered the correct Islamic way, it is halal. I say that because some hard core vegetarians and vegans get very evangelical in trying to treat meat as a haram or completely unacceptable thing because of their own biases on the animal's "sentience". A semi vegetarian diet is still a good idea because I believe it is not natural or healthy for people to eat meat everyday and one of the reasons we eat it everyday is because much of it is produced through cruel factory farming methods in order to make it cheap.

                If we only ate meat that was raised properly on natural foods, eating grass on a farm and then had a halal zabihah, this would increase the cost of production, then people would realise meat is a precious resource and not buy it all the time but mainly eat it on special occasions. If we look at the Sunnah, it was a celebratory food for Eid, for weddings and is distributed at aqeeqahs when children are born. It also takes extra resources to produce meat compared to vegetables so is better for the environment for people to have at least a couple of meat free days per week, during which time you can introduce new vegetarian dishes to your diet.... besides, at this rate with the banning of halal meat across Europe, it'll be good practice in case halal slaughter is banned altogether here then we can get into the habit of switching to just having veg and fish inshaAllah.

                Originally posted by Deen95 View Post
                Salaam brothers and sisters,

                Any vegetarians here? I'm thinking of maybe going Vegetarian or semi, so anyone tried this? Heard it might have health benefits.
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Going Vegetarian?

                  i could never be a veggie

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Going Vegetarian?

                    oh God i never understood why this topic is making so much buzz worldwide.Its pretty simple:

                    Did the prophet saws ate meat? Yes . Did ALLAH stop us from eating meat? Yes,but only some kind of meats. Would the animals suffer as much as people say they do,if we slaughtered them in Halal way? Nope

                    There you have the answer. If somebody wants to be a vegetarian just because he likes it or because it is mainstream,then okay,but if he wants to stop eating meat because it is healthier or because he cares about animals,I think he better forget about it and pm me for some delicious meat recipes :D
                    And marry those among you who are single and the Salihoon of your slaves and maid-servants.If they be poor,Allah will enrich them of out of His Bounty.And Allah is All-Sufficent for His creatures needs,All-Knowing

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Going Vegetarian?

                      oh God i never understood why this topic is making so much buzz worldwide.Its pretty simple:

                      Did the prophet saws ate meat? Yes . Did ALLAH stop us from eating meat? Yes,but only some kind of meats. Would the animals suffer as much as people say they do,if we slaughtered them in Halal way? Nope

                      There you have the answer. If somebody wants to be a vegetarian just because he likes it or because it is mainstream,then okay,but if he wants to stop eating meat because it is healthier or because he cares about animals,I think he better forget about it and pm me for some delicious meat recipes :D
                      And marry those among you who are single and the Salihoon of your slaves and maid-servants.If they be poor,Allah will enrich them of out of His Bounty.And Allah is All-Sufficent for His creatures needs,All-Knowing

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Going Vegetarian?

                        Originally posted by P1RAT3N View Post
                        Wa alejkum alsalam.

                        I am not vegetarian but I hate red meat. I just never liked the taste of it. I only eat chicken and fish.
                        Overall, I have a weak stomach so eating "heavy" stuff is just bad for me. Meat is to much for me to handle.

                        If you love meat, becoming vegetarian will be hard. But it gets better and easier over time.
                        Yeah I have the same problem with meat being heavy on the stomach.

                        Originally posted by neelu View Post
                        Walaykum salam,

                        I'm not vegetarian but I do think going vegetarian or semi veggie is a good idea health wise as long as you do it with the understanding that when meat is raised and slaughtered the correct Islamic way, it is halal. I say that because some hard core vegetarians and vegans get very evangelical in trying to treat meat as a haram or completely unacceptable thing because of their own biases on the animal's "sentience". A semi vegetarian diet is still a good idea because I believe it is not natural or healthy for people to eat meat everyday and one of the reasons we eat it everyday is because much of it is produced through cruel factory farming methods in order to make it cheap.

                        If we only ate meat that was raised properly on natural foods, eating grass on a farm and then had a halal zabihah, this would increase the cost of production, then people would realise meat is a precious resource and not buy it all the time but mainly eat it on special occasions. If we look at the Sunnah, it was a celebratory food for Eid, for weddings and is distributed at aqeeqahs when children are born. It also takes extra resources to produce meat compared to vegetables so is better for the environment for people to have at least a couple of meat free days per week, during which time you can introduce new vegetarian dishes to your diet.... besides, at this rate with the banning of halal meat across Europe, it'll be good practice in case halal slaughter is banned altogether here then we can get into the habit of switching to just having veg and fish inshaAllah.
                        Yh I agree with a lot of what your saying. I thought I might be completely vegetarian for a few weeks then reintroduce meat like once or twice a week. Like you said I don't think eating meat everyday is healthy and I don't think the prophet (a.s) did that either.

                        Originally posted by Aetos View Post
                        oh God i never understood why this topic is making so much buzz worldwide.Its pretty simple:

                        Did the prophet saws ate meat? Yes . Did ALLAH stop us from eating meat? Yes,but only some kind of meats. Would the animals suffer as much as people say they do,if we slaughtered them in Halal way? Nope

                        There you have the answer. If somebody wants to be a vegetarian just because he likes it or because it is mainstream,then okay,but if he wants to stop eating meat because it is healthier or because he cares about animals,I think he better forget about it and pm me for some delicious meat recipes :D
                        The meat nowadays tends to be injected with all types of stuff. I would rather avoid it or limit consumption.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Going Vegetarian?

                          Originally posted by Deen95 View Post
                          Yeah I have the same problem with meat being heavy on the stomach.



                          Yh I agree with a lot of what your saying. I thought I might be completely vegetarian for a few weeks then reintroduce meat like once or twice a week. Like you said I don't think eating meat everyday is healthy and I don't think the prophet (a.s) did that either.



                          The meat nowadays tends to be injected with all types of stuff. I would rather avoid it or limit consumption.

                          That meat isnt Halal bro.I am not a 100% halal eater,as Halal in my country is hard to find,but I was talking about Halal meat only
                          And marry those among you who are single and the Salihoon of your slaves and maid-servants.If they be poor,Allah will enrich them of out of His Bounty.And Allah is All-Sufficent for His creatures needs,All-Knowing

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Going Vegetarian?

                            Originally posted by Aetos View Post
                            That meat isnt Halal bro.I am not a 100% halal eater,as Halal in my country is hard to find,but I was talking about Halal meat only
                            Yeah even certified "halal" meat is hard to know if it's safe to eat or not.

                            Btw I'm not sure what you mean by you not being 100% halal eater bro but I think if the meat isn't halal you should avoid it completely.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Going Vegetarian?

                              Originally posted by Deen95 View Post
                              Yeah even certified "halal" meat is hard to know if it's safe to eat or not.

                              Btw I'm not sure what you mean by you not being 100% halal eater bro but I think if the meat isn't halal you should avoid it completely.

                              What I mean is that I dont eat pork or anything completely halal.I eat meat slaughtered in 'halal' way,but they dont mention the name of Allah when they do it.I know its bad,and I do it veryyy rarely,but I am in a terrible situations where I have to make some 'compromises" . Thank you for your advice.I said that so I wouldnt be a hypocrite,advising you for something I dont do myself.. :)

                              But if I had a choice I would go 100% Halal and not veggie,as 100% Halal is healthier than being a vegetarian.thats what I am trying to advise.But you know whats better about yourself :)
                              And marry those among you who are single and the Salihoon of your slaves and maid-servants.If they be poor,Allah will enrich them of out of His Bounty.And Allah is All-Sufficent for His creatures needs,All-Knowing

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X