Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone willing to share some Somali recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone willing to share some Somali recipes?

Hubby is Somali and I've learned to cook a fair amount of things from xawaash.com but would like to learn more recipes ... Thanks :)

Re: Anyone willing to share some Somali recipes?

[MENTION=125704]Figs[/MENTION]
    Bandon say dil naa lagao sirf Allah say lagao.

Comment

Originally posted by Lozzie View Post
      Hubby is Somali and I've learned to cook a fair amount of things from xawaash.com but would like to learn more recipes ... Thanks :)
      I'm Somali sis, I've learned quite a few dishes What kind of dish do you want me to post on? Breakfast, lunch, or dinner? :)
      Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.

Comment

Originally posted by Figs View Post
        I'm Somali sis, I've learned quite a few dishes What kind of dish do you want me to post on? Breakfast, lunch, or dinner? :)
        Anything with meat sis, hubby thinks it's not a meal unless there's meat lol.

Thank you for taking the time to share recipes :)

Comment

Anything with meat sis, hubby thinks it's not a meal unless there's meat lol.

Thank you for taking the time to share recipes :)
          Lool yeah Somalis can be carnivores lol. :)

Okay here's pasta and suugo which is kinda something we put over pasta or rice but it's a very very very different topping then store pasta sauce. I'd say it's like stew.

Here's the recipe (how I do it at least hehe):

1. Make sure you have onions (maybe 2 or 3), tomatoes (2), oil, green bell peppers (1 is enough I think), you can add a red or orange bell pepper too if you like, a lot of meat, can of tomato sauce (I like using tomato sauce, it's easier than watering and then adding multiple spices so for now tomato sauce would be easier haha), a few carrots or more if you like, and then you can choose between using a lot of cabbage or a lot of potatoes. Most Somalis use potatoes but personally I like cabbage. You can use as little or as much as seems right for your fam. Also don't forget the meat!

2. Put pot at heat, then pour in a good amount of meat chunks. Then pour in enough olive oil for it to fry well and also add salt and garlic powder. Mix it until it fries and softens properly :) While you'e at it you can start chopping the onions and tomaotoes.

3. When ya do that, pour in onions and let it fry as well. When it looks fried add the chopped up tomatoes and bell peppers. Mix it well and remember when it gets hot and dry keep adding a little more water as you go.

4. Peel potatoes (if you choose to add them) and make them into small chunks and add a lot to the pot and mix well, add more water.

5. Mix it well, peel carrots, wash carrots, wait for a long while and keep adding water when it gets dry. Dump in more salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, red spice, and if you use other spices add what you like. be creative lol, one good thing about somali cuisine is there is no really one right way to go about it! ;)

6. Later on when it seems to have cooked well, add the carrots last. Mix it and when it softens add the tomato sauce (as much as you think looks okay) and then mix it again. Later on if you choose cabbage and not potatoes skip the step on potatoes and cut up maybe a half a cabbage and add it to the pot at the last minute. In a little while it'll start smelling really nice and then you can pretty much guess when it's done.

7. To make it look pretty and nice you can cut up a bit of cilantro and then sprinkle it on top. :) And then if you have pasta or rice ready you can pour it on when you're done. Or you can eat it with bread. I like eating it with bread:o

Anyway this sounds confusing cuz I'm not good at explaining dishes but I hope it helps. :)

-Figs

Comment

Okay here's pasta and suugo which is kinda something we put over pasta or rice but it's a very very very different topping then store pasta sauce. I'd say it's like stew.

1. Make sure you have onions (maybe 2 or 3), tomatoes (2), oil, green bell peppers (1 is enough I think), you can add a red or orange bell pepper too if you like, a lot of meat, can of tomato sauce (I like using tomato sauce, it's easier than watering and then adding multiple spices so for now tomato sauce would be easier haha), a few carrots or more if you like, and then you can choose between using a lot of cabbage or a lot of potatoes. Most Somalis use potatoes but personally I like cabbage. You can use as little or as much as seems right for your fam. Also don't forget the meat!

2. Put pot at heat, then pour in a good amount of meat chunks. Then pour in enough olive oil for it to fry well and also add salt and garlic powder. Mix it until it fries and softens properly :) While you'e at it you can start chopping the onions and tomaotoes.

3. When ya do that, pour in onions and let it fry as well. When it looks fried add the chopped up tomatoes and bell peppers. Mix it well and remember when it gets hot and dry keep adding a little more water as you go.

4. Peel potatoes (if you choose to add them) and make them into small chunks and add a lot to the pot and mix well, add more water.

5. Mix it well, peel carrots, wash carrots, wait for a long while and keep adding water when it gets dry. Dump in more salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, red spice, and if you use other spices add what you like. be creative lol, one good thing about somali cuisine is there is no really one right way to go about it! ;)

6. Later on when it seems to have cooked well, add the carrots last. Mix it and when it softens add the tomato sauce (as much as you think looks okay) and then mix it again. Later on if you choose cabbage and not potatoes skip the step on potatoes and cut up maybe a half a cabbage and add it to the pot at the last minute. In a little while it'll start smelling really nice and then you can pretty much guess when it's done.

7. To make it look pretty and nice you can cut up a bit of cilantro and then sprinkle it on top. :) And then if you have pasta or rice ready you can pour it on when you're done. Or you can eat it with bread. I like eating it with bread:o

Anyway this sounds confusing cuz I'm not good at explaining dishes but I hope it helps. :)

-Figs
            I didn't read the recipe but the name of it sounds so soo SOOOO good.
            Indeed we belong to Allah,
            and indeed to Him we will return.

Quran 2:156

Comment

I love meat.
              Indeed we belong to Allah,
              and indeed to Him we will return.

Quran 2:156

Comment

Originally posted by ninety1daisies View Post
                I love meat.
                That's part of many recipes I guess. :D

Anyway this reminds me I'm meant to be producing a chicken dish to show [MENTION=100194]Ya'sin[/MENTION]. It's overdue!!!

Comment

Duplicate.

Comment

-Figs

Thank you sis! I love suugo, it's a regular in our house, but I used your recipe instead of the one I had and it was so much better. Hubby loved it! JazakAllahu Khair X

Comment

Thank you sis! I love suugo, it's a regular in our house, but I used your recipe instead of the one I had and it was so much better. Hubby loved it! JazakAllahu Khair X
                      Aww really? You cooked it?! Aww masha allah sis, wa iyyaka! I'm so flattered by your compliment and happy it worked out well for you :)

Comment

I thought there is no food in Somalia. What's the point of there being recipes? Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Comment

Asalaamu alaikum sis i hope i can help you a little inshallah

Pasta

Boil water on the pan (kettle first then add water on the pan) then put salt, let it boil for long then put bit of oil and then add pasta mix with fork. Read da label for how many min be in the fire cooked.

Sooga

• Put minced meat in a pan with water not much water just a little, and let it be cooked and mash/stir it well.
                          • Add cumin powder and chicken stock or salt or both.
                          • Another pan put oil and ghee butter cut onion and green pepper put tomato can mix it first in the mixing machine then add into the pan
                          • Add cumin powder and minced meat in it wait till it finished. (you can add chilli powder if you like it slightly hot)

Zikni

• Put oil on the fire pan
                          • cut 2 whole onion and 2 clove garlic [cut onion very small] mix all da time on the pan
                          (let it be cooked well). (If needed add little bit of water)
                          • Add cumin powder
                          • chilli powder
                          • little bit of water
                          • add hilbo sugaar/ aka small meat cubes its should be really small
                          • Tomato puree and tomato can mix it with mixing machine den add into the pan add chicken stock or salt there is one powder that my mum adds in zikni i dont have the name of it.
                          you have zikni with Canjeero pls youtube how to make that.

Marg

• Cut onion
                          • add garlic
                          • and cumin powder (somali spice mix check the video)
                          • vegetables you can which ever you like in here it could frozen or fresh
                          • chicken stock or salt
                          • Add tomato can in the mixing machine with coriander
                          • meat or chicken (you can either choose a meat or chicken)
                          • add potatoes and green pepper wait and let it be cooked.

Chicken

• Add paprika,
                          • chicken stock
                          • cumin powder,
                          • lemon,
                          • salt,
                          • garlic
                          • mix the marinate all together with the chicken.
                          • Cook it in the oven or on the pan. forgot you add onion/ green pepper

if want fried chicken id recommend the 'Tex's Hot & Spicy Fried Chicken Coating' i dont know if the somalis use it but the chicken taste so good with that coating! im somali btw

shes really good keep watching Xawaash videos check out the 'Somali Spice Mix' and the '2 Somali Hot Sauces' i haven't posted the link here as it contains music.

those mixed spices are really good with most food and the chilli is also nice to have with on any main food

we usually add the garlic in a mixer put them in ice cubes in the freezer take them out put it in plastic freezing bags, so it makes it easier to get access to garlic without having to cut garlic each time you cook

I hope this helped you sis if you need more recipe you can always pm me or let me know here good luck! :)
                          Last edited by Beblessed; 03-03-16, 02:39 PM.
                          ☝🏻️اللهمَّ لك الحمد حتى ترضى، ولك الحمد إذا رضيت، ولك الحمد بعد الرضا

Comment

Forgot to tell you to add the fresh tomatoes in the mixer the ingredients

For Marag, zikni and suuga
                            ☝🏻️اللهمَّ لك الحمد حتى ترضى، ولك الحمد إذا رضيت، ولك الحمد بعد الرضا

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X