No announcement yet.

Developing culinary skills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet rice - are boiled rice with the added syrup of sugar melted in butter. We normally add yellow food colouring and red glazed cherries. So they look really nice and appetizing.

I'd add an image but can't (due to new forum changes). If you google it - it should come up. They're a quick dessert for a large quantity of people.

I'm noticing the trend is changing now. There's not much of an emphasis on girls cooking any more. Parents pampering the kids it seems.

Comment

That's partly why I started this thread. I felt that there are too many people (men and women) who don't have even basic skills in the kitchen and I believe this causes people to fall into unhealthy bad habits such as ordering takeaways, or eating processed foods. Then there are some who rely on another person to do all the cooking such as their mum which is fine if you're 10 years old but not when you're in your twenties or thirties. I'm not saying everyone has to be a masterchef or give up their current lifestyle, but at the very least; if the spouse or parent you rely on to cook became ill or is pregnant and needs weeks or months of bed rest, you should know enough to be able to keep the household going, even if all you have are simple things like pasta with pesto or daal and rice or omelette with toast, stuff along those lines.

I wouldn't necessarily assume it's parents pampering kids though. In my experience, this often happens because the emphasis is on doing well in school and pursuing further studies whereas learning chores at home is seen as unimportant. The other reason is that sometimes parents themselves don't have these culinary skills to pass on to their kids.

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post
      Sweet rice - are boiled rice with the added syrup of sugar melted in butter. We normally add yellow food colouring and red glazed cherries. So they look really nice and appetizing.

I'd add an image but can't (due to new forum changes). If you google it - it should come up. They're a quick dessert for a large quantity of people.

I'm noticing the trend is changing now. There's not much of an emphasis on girls cooking any more. Parents pampering the kids it seems.
      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

That's been going on for years! western sisters innit.

Comment

Sweet rice - are boiled rice with the added syrup of sugar melted in butter. Wppe normally add yellow food colouring and red glazed cherries. So they look really nice and appetizing.

I have never come across the sweet rice

Whenever we make sweet rice dishes it's usually rice pudding or semolina puddings which are popular at weddings (I don't like them but my amma beats the wedding desserts, I have yet to enjoy firni at weddings).

you think? Where I'm from, the pressure is on girls to be perfect.

The degree comes first but during days off from uni or college the mums will encourage their girls to learn

Everyone enjoys boasting about their daughters achievements 'she made 100 somasas AND got a 1.1 on psychology, AND she works AND she's a make up artist...we are thinking of getting her married off...*hint, hunt*'

There you have it.

If you can't cook then at least bake because that is the back up boasting in line, the daughter selling cakes online.
          ​​​​​​
          It is what it is and I am impressed, the girls are doing it but I am not an all rounder, I'd hate it if my mum pressurised me like that.

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Sorry can't edit lol
            'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

It's not just a western phenomenon. Last time I was in Pakistan, my cousin in Lahore was asked by her dad to make a cup of tea and she didn't know how to do it. It could be because many middle and upper class families have servants to cook for them, or it could be because the mums are very territorial in the kitchen, or again, it could be because parents just want their kids to study and neglect teaching them about household chores or else they try but the kids aren't interested. Then again, both in the UK and in Pakistan, you get young women who start their marriages without a clue as to how to cook anything but then within five years and a couple of kids later, they become quite skilled in the kitchen just because out of necessity for feeding the kids (and realising it's a bit unfair to call mum/nani to do it for them on a regular basis) they end up trying and learning. My other cousin's wife in Lahore doesn't cook cos' they have servants.

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post

That's been going on for years! western sisters innit.
              The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                It's not just a western phenomenon. Last time I was in Pakistan, my cousin in Lahore was asked by her dad to make a cup of tea and she didn't know how to do it. It could be because many middle and upper class families have servants to cook for them, or it could be because the mums are very territorial in the kitchen, or again, it could be because parents just want their kids to study and neglect teaching them about household chores or else they try but the kids aren't interested. Then again, both in the UK and in Pakistan, you get young women who start their marriages without a clue as to how to cook anything but then within five years and a couple of kids later, they become quite skilled in the kitchen just because out of necessity for feeding the kids (and realising it's a bit unfair to call mum/nani to do it for them on a regular basis) they end up trying and learning. My other cousin's wife in Lahore doesn't cook cos' they have servants.

Generally speaking I have found the city girls in my family from Pakistan to be worse than any Western girl in terms of cooking/cleaning and general housekeeping.

If you have one servant cooking, another cleaning, another washing up, another putting the clothes out to dry etc etc then what is there left for you to do and learn? Although I should stress the boys in these families are even worse ...

Comment

Working...
                X