Clear All

Re: Food Pictures

Anything yummy with chocolate?
    I am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
      it looks really nice sister, i'd love to know the recipe for that, vegan style, looks delicious masha ' allah.
      Oh it's definitely not vegan cos' it has plenty of cream in it. I can give a recipe on here based on what I did but I didn't use specific measurements so it's hard to quantify amounts of everything and also temperature depends on what your oven is like. Anyway, it's based on Michel Roux Jr's recipe featured on food and drink... oh hold on, according to this recipe, he covers the potatoes completely in cream whereas I don't do that but I'll paste it anyway and then put my own recipe underneath:

https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/...y-michel-roux_

I use the fine slicer attachment of my food processor to slice the large potato really thinly (he also says don't wash the potato), then I pour on some double cream and sprinkle salt and black pepper over it. What I do is rub a cut garlic clove all over the oven dish, layer the potato slices in an ovenproof dish until there's a layer about 5 slices thick, then make sure there's enough cream in there to come up at least 2 slices high on the dish, then I put it in the middle shelf of the oven at gas mark 5 for 25 minutes. After that, I turn the oven up to gas mark 6 and give it another 25 minutes. After that I turn the oven up to gas mark 7 and give it around 15 minutes and then it's ready but I leave it to stand for about 4 minutes before serving otherwise I'd burn my mouth if I have it straight from the oven.

It is really delicious but I don't think it's designed to be a meal in itself, rather I think the idea is to serve it as a side dish with meat/fish and veg but tbh I eat this on its own cos' I don't know enough about those other goray dishes lol.
      Last edited by neelu; 12-10-15, 08:36 PM.
      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
        Oh it's definitely not vegan cos' it has plenty of cream in it. I can give a recipe on here based on what I did but I didn't use specific measurements so it's hard to quantify amounts of everything and also temperature depends on what your oven is like. Anyway, it's based on Michel Roux Jr's recipe featured on food and drink... oh hold on, according to this recipe, he covers the potatoes completely in cream whereas I don't do that but I'll paste it anyway and then put my own recipe underneath:

https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/...y-michel-roux_

I use the fine slicer attachment of my food processor to slice the large potato really thinly (he also says don't wash the potato), then I pour on some double cream and sprinkle salt and black pepper over it. What I do is layer the potato slices in an ovenproof dish until there's a layer about 5 slices thick, then make sure there's enough cream in there to come up at least 2 slices high on the dish, then I put it in the middle shelf of the oven at gas mark 5 for 25 minutes. After that, I turn the oven up to gas mark 6 and give it another 25 minutes. After that I turn the oven up to gas mark 7 and give it around 15 minutes and then it's ready but I leave it to stand for about 4 minutes before serving otherwise I'd burn my mouth if I have it straight from the oven.

It is really delicious but I don't think it's designed to be a meal in itself, rather I think the idea is to serve it as a side dish with meat/fish and veg but tbh I eat this on its own cos' I don't know enough about those other goray dishes lol.
        jazakhallahu khairan sis, I really appreciate that. and i'd have that by itself, coz love that kinda food. it's so simple aswell, even I could make it, lol. thanks :)
        And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
        [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by Kiro View Post
          I tried to make chocolate cake the other day but came out so dry and overcooked because i totally forgot to check the time while i was too busy feeding the baby
          Also wanted to try using the cake function on my japanese rice cooker but the recipe looks too complicated to make

Comment

yeah, but the picz keep saying 'too big to upload'
            i'm worried about downloading the resizing app coz im gonna be posting too many picz on here, once i'm able to resize the ones that don't fit
            n will probz annoy peeps
            And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”

Comment

Not quite like mom's chapli kabobs but it will have to do for dinner

Click image for larger version

Name:	11417333_934861629918515_754494521_n(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	10759091
              "Don't be too perfect; no one will want to talk to you. Maintain a flaw or two to keep yourself approachable." -My guide to being amazing

Comment

That looks really nice Masha ' Allah ^
                would be nice if more peeps contributed their food pics on here.

Comment

Originally posted by sandman123 View Post
                  Not quite like mom's chapli kabobs but it will have to do for dinner

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79957[/ATTACH]
                  :love:
                  Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                  - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed2013 View Post
                    To change things up here are some actual healthy meal choices of whole foods that are actually good for you. All them people complaining about how hard it's to cook. If you didn't cook so many complicated cultural foods, and stuck to eating whole healthy foods your life would be easier. A lot of these meals can be prepared for the entire week in advance in very short periods of time too, they are nutritious, healthy, balanced, taste good (once you kick your sugar addictions and get used to eating actual whole foods):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79623[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]79624[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]79625[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]79630[/ATTACH]
                    first picture has peas, chicken breast fillet and what exactly is that stuff on the left? lol

masha'Allah, I want to try making more healthier food and cut down on the unhealthy Somali dishes (sooooo yum though -cries-)

jazakallahu khair you're giving me ideas

also, can someone please post a great butter chicken recipe so I can love you forever :inlove: <-- first time using this smiley because thats how much i love butter chicken lol
                    Last edited by Ni'mah; 12-10-15, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ni'mah View Post
                      first picture has peas, chicken breast fillet and what exactly is that stuff on the left? lol

masha'Allah, I want to try making more healthier food and cut down on the unhealthy Somali dishes (sooooo yum though -cries-)

also, can someone please post a great butter chicken recipe so I can love you forever :inlove: <-- first time using this smiley because thats how much i love butter chicken lol
                      hey sis, the brother who sent this pic recently made a thread about leaving the forum, so not sure if he's around anymore.

if anyone else knows what's on the left in the first pic, it would be awesome if u let the sis know :) I can't quite figure it out

I know how you feel, that food looks healthy n tasty masha ' allah. what are ur fave Somali dishes sis? don't think I've eaten Somali food before, but I've heard it's awesome.

I don't have a butter chicken recipe, sounds delish :) probably some on google.

Comment

Originally posted by Ni'mah View Post

It is quinoa, sister. :)
                        "Let the days do as they please, and be optimistic when destiny decrees. Do not despair due to the events of the past, for the events of this world were not meant to last." - Imam Shafi'i

Comment

Oh that's nice cos' I just ate some chicken and quinoa before coming on here- though my family make it a bit differently but that's cool.

Pretty much any dessert by James Martin is brilliant and my own much loved brownies are based on a recipe I saw on one of his shows except that I make mine using half dark and half milk chocolate (whereas he uses all dark chocolate). So I googled his brownie recipe in order to show you and found this:

http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/chocolate-brownies-1/
                          The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Breakfast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	breakfast.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	10759100

See if any of you deprived losers can guess what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
                              Breakfast.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79968[/ATTACH]

Aloo wali roti? Whatever it is, its the real deal. Thats how a breakfast should look like
                              Believe
                              there is
                              good in the world

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
                                Breakfast.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79968[/ATTACH]

Something that doesn't look nice? :p

Comment

Working...
                                X