Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying groceries from a Tescos instead of a Muslim business that doesn't sell alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buying groceries from a Tescos instead of a Muslim business that doesn't sell alc

Originally posted by InTheBegining View Post
    Acki, I think you got the wrong end of the stick. It is not a matter of one being a Muslim or not. you would know that a small business will shelve their products longer than any other leading super market in most cases. therefore i'd rather go where I think the food is freshier (if that is a word) or has not been on the shelve for couple of months.
    Originally posted by shafsbhai View Post
    You misunderstood me. I would rather shop at one of those large grocery/department stores than at a Muslim owned shop that sells alcohol.
    Like I said before these are all excuses people make to go somewhere where haram is happening because it's cheaper or their products have a longer sell by date.

It's about money before principles but when it comes to buying from a Muslim store/restaurant which may sell alcohol/non halal products because they are not based in a Muslim majority area then everyone puts their judging hats on and flaunts their principles left, right and centre.

No principles when lining the pockets of Israel but plenty of principles when faced with a struggling Muslim business owner.

Comment

Re: Buying groceries from a Tescos instead of a Muslim business that doesn't sell alc

I see a lot of people spending their money in a wasteful fashion, and a lot of times it's because they don't stop to think about what they're buying what's actually available.

In my area there are 2 tiers of grocery stores, one that is "premium" the other is "basic" the "premium"will have a high markup on certain goods, while the other will have a low markup, this goes for goods that are of the same quality/brand/freshness(like frozen/canned/boxed), sometimes it can be worth a short drive(5-10mins) to save a good bit of cash vs doing all your shopping in one place.

Lots of times there is no point in buying a larger value pack because the smaller size goes on sale so often that it becomes much cheaper($/gram wise) than the value size. 24 pack of pop will be 8.99 while a 12 pack will be on sale for 3.49 and people will still buy the 24 pack. 10 lb of onion will be 2 bucks and people will buy the loose variety for 79 cents/lb even when it is the same variety/same item. Sometimes there isn't a point in buying an item when it's not on sale because of how much extra you pay(paper towels,specialty sauces)

Sometimes I see people ordering food in a restaurant and they don't look at the specials and end up ordering the special as seperate items and pay for an item that they would have gotten for free.

people will overpay by 10%-50% because they don't want to walk 2 mins to the shop next door. small things that end up making you pay 10%-40% more and even though it may be small amounts they add up very quickly and can save some familys a good chunk of cash without much extra work.

Though I don't have an issue with buying packaged products from stores that sell booze/liquor(in my area stores aren't allowed to sell liquor period) I do have an issue with companies selling both halal and "non zabiha" meats in the same store as there is room for mixups and in the past it has happened so I look for places that are "halal" meats only.

The same goes for restaurants, there can be room for mixups so I avoid places that serve halal/haram foods unless I know there are seperate areas with no chance of mixups. I also don't eat out to often because I don't like when strangers prepare my food and having to rely on their hygenic practices that may not be on par of my own. Theres also the fact that commercial cooking has an understanding that things wont be as clean as home cooked meal will be. My own cooking lets me make a better meal at a much lower price, especially when you can dole the extra cash for exotic and better quality ingredients while costing less than a sit down restaurant.

Not all small businesses have low turnover and sell old goods,many have a decent turnover and better customer service than big chains do. They may not always have the best prices but they can be reasonable. It may take some looking around but when you find a butcher that knows what they're doing(knows the different cuts/good hygiene,takes pride in their products) and takes care in finding halal meat from people with good intentions it adds a nice feeling of assurance to what one is eating is halal and tasty.

What I don't get is muslims selling liquor/booze in the first place, I can understand that tough times will make for rash decisions and many times people do find guidance and stop selling booze. I can only make du'aa for them that there comes a time where they can make amends and in the mean time serve food that does not come into contact with anything impure.

I am not sure why people eat "non zabiha" meat and justify it because there is no halal sources available, meat isn't necessary to eat and if you feel that it is something you can't live without then you should move to an area that does have halal meat available. Halal has so many different meanings now, it's come to the point where you have to ask the person what kind of halal they sell, or verify even when family recommends a certain place to eat.

I really don't like how Halal has just become another generic label like "organic" that people slap on when they want to make an easy buck

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X