Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting Thread 🧵

assalamualaikum wah rahmatullahi wah barakatuhu
    hey so I thought with ramadan coming to an end it would be good to have a thread about the immense benefits of fasting and to encourage everyone including myself to do if

now regardless to whatever type of fast you're doing whether it be Islamic fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, intermittent fasting in all it's variations

subhan'Allah isn't it amazing how not eating can cure so many disease and ailments

this Doctor Dr Jason Fung knows his stuff when it comes to fasting

Comment

for anyone else with health issues consider fasting after Ramadan, whether it's Islamic or water fasting or IF etc in sha Allah

Comment

Comment

Abisali Faith reloaded 2 you brothers going to carry on with islamic fasting, intermittent fasting or water fasting?
          or do different diets like keto or even just low carlorie diets?
          Last edited by Simply_Logical; 04-05-22, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post
            Abisali Faith reloaded 2 you brothers going to carry on with islamic fasting, intermittent fasting or water fasting?
            Nah, i dont really do any of that. Fasting and dieting is not part of my vocabulary

i lurrve my food too much

but i should probably do more sunnah fasts - something i could definitely improve on

Comment

Originally posted by Faith reloaded 2 View Post

Nah, i dont really do any of that. Fasting and dieting is not part of my vocabulary

i lurrve my food too much

but i should probably do more sunnah fasts - something i could definitely improve on
              yea i always see you posting about you ordering some doner kebabs lool

you shouldnt be allowed on this thread young padawan lool

Comment

I am doing one meal a day. I try to have it before 6PM. After six, I'll drink water/diet caffeine free soda and snack on an apple/banana/dates and almonds. I wouldn't mind doing the Islamic fasting, but it causes my to stay up late and I need to be up early, so it screws with my sleeping during the summer. I also would rather lose weight first so when I do Islamic fasting, I can solely do it to please Allah and not for weight loss.

I've removed sugar, bread, rice and pasta from my diet. I allow steel cut oats and potatoes as my carbs. I keep the calories under 1000. Once every five weeks, I give myself two consecutive cheat days. This acts as something to look forward to and keeps me from feeling like this diet is a punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Abisali View Post

I am doing one meal a day. I try to have it before 6PM. After six, I'll drink water/diet caffeine free soda and snack on an apple/banana/dates and almonds. I wouldn't mind doing the Islamic fasting, but it causes my to stay up late and I need to be up early, so it screws with my sleeping during the summer. I also would rather lose weight first so when I do Islamic fasting, I can solely do it to please Allah and not for weight loss.

I've removed sugar, bread, rice and pasta from my diet. I allow steel cut oats and potatoes as my carbs. I keep the calories under 1000. Once every five weeks, I give myself two consecutive cheat days. This acts as something to look forward to and keeps me from feeling like this diet is a punishment.
                  seems like youre doing OMAD (one meal a day) and also sounds a bit like keto, low carbs and high proteins and fats

good stuff Alhamdulillah Allahumma Bareek

Comment

so whos actually fasting for shawaal?

Abisali hows it going bro?

Comment

seems like youre doing OMAD (one meal a day) and also sounds a bit like keto, low carbs and high proteins and fats

good stuff Alhamdulillah Allahumma Bareek
                      Things are fine except for the little furballs constantly trying to chew through my computers headphone cables.

The diet is basically OMAD, but I do snack on olives, pickles and cheese after the meal. It is lower on carbs, but not fully keto because I base some meals around steel cut oats, shredded wheat cereal and potatoes. I need to up my protein, but halal meat and chicken have sky rocketed in price so I'll include more eggs and fish (salmon prices have also skyrocketed).

I want shrimp fried rice though. Been craving it for a while.

Comment

Things are fine except for the little furballs constantly trying to chew through my computers headphone cables.

The diet is basically OMAD, but I do snack on olives, pickles and cheese after the meal. It is lower on carbs, but not fully keto because I base some meals around steel cut oats, shredded wheat cereal and potatoes. I need to up my protein, but halal meat and chicken have sky rocketed in price so I'll include more eggs and fish (salmon prices have also skyrocketed).

I want shrimp fried rice though. Been craving it for a while.
                        Sounds like you're doing really well- keep it up. There's a famous Michelin starred chef here called Tom Kerridge. Whenever he first appeared on tv for food shows almost 20 years ago, he was huge and I mean he looked morbidly obese, but then around 4 years ago he appeared on TV and I didn't recognise him cos he looked SO different. He lost so much weight that even when I heard his name I found it hard to believe it was really him. I wondered at first if he had surgery or something, but later on he did a dieting series in which he said after his son was born, he radically changed the way he ate and really cut down on the carbs cos he didn't want to miss out on seeing his son grow up. Your cutting out carbs made me think of that. The weird thing was though, the diet he was propagating on the tv series wasn't the one he used himself- it was the more traditional sort of low calorie, lower fat type diet we've seen for decades. My guess is he had to talk to doctors and dieticians before doing the series and these 'experts' haven't caught up with the times and still push the same old outdated ideas that often don't work in the long term- or claim that low carb is unhealthy.

As for fish, I think you should consider using the lesser known and more sustainable fish in your cooking because they tend to be cheaper and taste just as good. In the UK the most popular fish are cod, haddock, salmon, tuna and seabass which has led to them going up in price and being low in stock in the oceans (close to endangered in some cases) which is why many of them are farmed fish now which is not as good quality and I don't think it's as healthy. Anyway, instead of cod or haddock, I think pollock and coley are very nice, pollock is more nutritious cos it contains more omega 3, they taste very similar and they should be cheaper cos they are more sustainable and available as there's less demand for it. Even if cod isn't your thing, I'm sure there are good, cheaper and sustainable alternative seafoods that would make it more affordable inshaAllah.
                        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post

Sounds like you're doing really well- keep it up. There's a famous Michelin starred chef here called Tom Kerridge. Whenever he first appeared on tv for food shows almost 20 years ago, he was huge and I mean he looked morbidly obese, but then around 4 years ago he appeared on TV and I didn't recognise him cos he looked SO different. He lost so much weight that even when I heard his name I found it hard to believe it was really him. I wondered at first if he had surgery or something, but later on he did a dieting series in which he said after his son was born, he radically changed the way he ate and really cut down on the carbs cos he didn't want to miss out on seeing his son grow up. Your cutting out carbs made me think of that. The weird thing was though, the diet he was propagating on the tv series wasn't the one he used himself- it was the more traditional sort of low calorie, lower fat type diet we've seen for decades. My guess is he had to talk to doctors and dieticians before doing the series and these 'experts' haven't caught up with the times and still push the same old outdated ideas that often don't work in the long term- or claim that low carb is unhealthy.

As for fish, I think you should consider using the lesser known and more sustainable fish in your cooking because they tend to be cheaper and taste just as good. In the UK the most popular fish are cod, haddock, salmon, tuna and seabass which has led to them going up in price and being low in stock in the oceans (close to endangered in some cases) which is why many of them are farmed fish now which is not as good quality and I don't think it's as healthy. Anyway, instead of cod or haddock, I think pollock and coley are very nice, pollock is more nutritious cos it contains more omega 3, they taste very similar and they should be cheaper cos they are more sustainable and available as there's less demand for it. Even if cod isn't your thing, I'm sure there are good, cheaper and sustainable alternative seafoods that would make it more affordable inshaAllah.
                          It just makes sense that we as humans aren't designed to eat as many carbs as we currently consume. We were also much more active as a species in the past than we are now and our diets were more protein and vegetables. The processed wheat that we eat so much of is wrecking our health, and while it's delicious (mmmm pasta and fresh bread) it really needs to be moderated. Potatoes, oats and carbs from broccoli, cauliflower and other similar veggies are enough. I don't listen to dieticians, I do what I feel is right and I'm starting to try and think about what the Prophet(sallahlahu alaiyhi wasalam)and the Sahaba ate. While I won't completely give up all bad foods, two days a month is okay. I really think all the walking I do at work is helping out a lot as well.

I never even considered fish other than the popular ones you mentioned. I love cod, salmon, canned tuna, mahi mahi, and shrimp(I know, not a fish). But as you said, they're popular and prices have skyrocketed. I will now be looking for pollock and coley (never had this but willing to try). Thank you for the recommendation, it will also help with feeding my cat because I'm thinking to put her on a one fish a day diet with dry food that uses fish and no other animal product that I found at Costco (I have to go back and reread their ingredients to make sure). I'm tired of feeding her haram cat food and I'm pretty sure shes not a big fan of it either.

Comment

I do think in the past people did eat a lot of carbs. The Prophet (saw) would've eaten bread (most likely khoubz) and whilst we no longer take the bible as a source of religious information (due to its corruption over time), it also mentions bread distributed in the feeding of the 5000 which implies it was a widely used staple back then as well. If we really want to go back in time to when people weren't eating as many carbs, it's most likely before the invention of farming and cultivation methods, back when people were hunters and gatherers as their diet would've consisted of foraged fruit and vegetables, fish and meat- hence the name 'paleo' is often used.

I doubt that the problem is carbs itself or wheat itself but more an issue that a) the way dwarf wheat is cultivated these days is very unhealthy, loaded with toxic chemicals and its nutritional value has severely diminished in modern times (particularly compared to ancient grains such as spelt etc) and b) modern societies eat far too much of it when a lower quantity would probably suffice. It does seem to have a bit of an additive quality though not as addictive as sugar but still quite alluring. Your idea of only having such things as treats twice a month sounds like a good idea. Actually I'd suggest in a couple of months that you choose your cheat days to be on next Eid so that you don't feel like you're missing out on the best foods on a special occasion.

It just makes sense that we as humans aren't designed to eat as many carbs as we currently consume. We were also much more active as a species in the past than we are now and our diets were more protein and vegetables. The processed wheat that we eat so much of is wrecking our health, and while it's delicious (mmmm pasta and fresh bread) it really needs to be moderated. Potatoes, oats and carbs from broccoli, cauliflower and other similar veggies are enough. I don't listen to dieticians, I do what I feel is right and I'm starting to try and think about what the Prophet(sallahlahu alaiyhi wasalam)and the Sahaba ate. While I won't completely give up all bad foods, two days a month is okay. I really think all the walking I do at work is helping out a lot as well.

I never even considered fish other than the popular ones you mentioned. I love cod, salmon, canned tuna, mahi mahi, and shrimp(I know, not a fish). But as you said, they're popular and prices have skyrocketed. I will now be looking for pollock and coley (never had this but willing to try). Thank you for the recommendation, it will also help with feeding my cat because I'm thinking to put her on a one fish a day diet with dry food that uses fish and no other animal product that I found at Costco (I have to go back and reread their ingredients to make sure). I'm tired of feeding her haram cat food and I'm pretty sure shes not a big fan of it either.
                            Btw pollock is considered a good fish in Britain cos it's also considered as 'local' as it's fished off the coast of Cornwall. I'm not sure which types of fish would be considered local to your region (or how much that matters in such a globalised economy), but if you know a good fish monger, it might be worth asking there. I do know some people feed coley to their cats so it is suitable for them. I did read somewhere once though that if you decide to give a cat a fish based diet, then once a week you should also give the cat poultry such as chicken or turkey to balance the diet. When my friend was looking for a halal cat food, she bought this:

James Wellbeloved Senior Cat - Fish | Great deals at zooplus!
                            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Sorry for the late response, I was just being lazy and let myself get distracted by fluffy babies and stupid things.

Yea, You're probably right on carbs being prevalent in the past. I was just thinking about how when Prophet Ibrahim (Alaihi AsSalam) asked Prophet Ismael (Alaihi AsSalam) what his people were eating and he replied meat and in my typical generalization of things, I attributed it to everyone in the past. I do agree with you though, that most things cultivated today is unhealthy and loaded with toxic crap and how the nutritional content has diminished. You can tell just by how bland all the produce is. Customers from foreign countries have expressed similar thoughts about how fruit and veggies in the states didn't tasted as good as they do in their home countries. Heck, it's hard to find a tasty watermelon or a honeydew melon.

I live in Missouri, the closest body of water I have is a dirty river so all the good fish I can buy is frozen. My options are rather limited. We have a fish that's called Whiting fish here and I just found out its related to cod, though smaller and milder. It's what my mother cooked for us growing up (it's great fried). Apparently it looks like pollock.

Thanks for the cat food recommendation. I will need to look up the ingredients and compare it to the one Costco that is made with salmon and see which is cheaper. As for a fish based diet, I was thinking to mix it up with chicken several times a week. I read thighs are the best part for cats, I just have to blend it up with a little bit of heart and liver (lamb liver is affordable here). I'll have to see if kidney meat is good for them too. I need to find a good taurine source for her too since they require a lot of it.

Inshallah, one day, I could move with my cats to a Muslim country and not worry about the non-halal food.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X