Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random FOOD Thread ---/ What did you eat today?/ What did you make today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by neelu View Post
    You're right, these unusual variations of traditional recipes have probably been around for years but I'm only recently hearing about them. I saw an Indian food programme where they were eating things like nutella paratha and a few other unusual variations as a Delhi street food.

I also saw a food programme in which a woman made spring rolls that were stuffed with moong dal halwa. I think that sounds nice cos halwa on its own is a bit sickly sweet but wrapped in pastry might be better. I've even thought of stuff (which I may have mentioned before) like whether a paratha could be stuffed with halwa or whether certain halwas could work as a pie filling cos if you think about it: pumpkin pie filling is quite similar to halwa as well.

No. The original recipe was to mash up the sardines in tomato sauce with a fork (you can add some seasoning and a little ketchup to it though it's not really necessary) and to halve the two boiled eggs, BUT I found that shaping the pastry with such big egg pieces is a bit tricky although the egg is very nice so I'd suggest maybe slicing the egg if you have an egg slicer (see image below) or just cutting the egg into 4 to 8 pieces.

egg slicer at DuckDuckGo
    Ok Jazak Allah Hu Khair
    we tend to have the sardines in tomatoe sauce, I've never ever tried sardine sandwich but generally I'm indifferent to sardines, my mum makes a 'biran' out of it sometimes as a quick dish for my dad. I'm not a massive fan of that, it can be salty at times. I prefer the sardines in oil.

I'll have to see if I'll need the additional ketchup, the egg I can cut with a knife as I have made 'aloo chop' before that required it to be sliced smaller than half.

I won't be going to the supermarket any time soon and I found out my mum doesn't have as many puff pastry as I thought so will have to get one when I go.

Have you tried dhaal puri? It's a hand rolled out flour pastry which is then filled with cooked lentils that are like dhaal dish but in a paste form. It is really nice once fried but the texture of the pastry (not sure what to call it as it's not completely like a puff pastry but not any closer to roti either), less fattening than paratha, has to be well made otherwise it can harden once cooked and that ruins it for me personally. Otherwise, when it's nice and soft, it is so good dipped in ketchup.

It can be made with gluten free ingredients so maybe a chick pea flour version.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

Ok Jazak Allah Hu Khair
      we tend to have the sardines in tomatoe sauce, I've never ever tried sardine sandwich but generally I'm indifferent to sardines, my mum makes a 'biran' out of it sometimes as a quick dish for my dad. I'm not a massive fan of that, it can be salty at times. I prefer the sardines in oil.

I'll have to see if I'll need the additional ketchup, the egg I can cut with a knife as I have made 'aloo chop' before that required it to be sliced smaller than half.

I won't be going to the supermarket any time soon and I found out my mum doesn't have as many puff pastry as I thought so will have to get one when I go.

Have you tried dhaal puri? It's a hand rolled out flour pastry which is then filled with cooked lentils that are like dhaal dish but in a paste form. It is really nice once fried but the texture of the pastry (not sure what to call it as it's not completely like a puff pastry but not any closer to roti either), less fattening than paratha, has to be well made otherwise it can harden once cooked and that ruins it for me personally. Otherwise, when it's nice and soft, it is so good dipped in ketchup.

It can be made with gluten free ingredients so maybe a chick pea flour version.
      I've tried puri and on tv I've seen recipes of pooris that are stuffed with daal though never tried that myself. Then again when you say it's less fattening than paratha, that confuses me cos I've always seen puris deep fried and always assumed they are more fattening cos parathas are shallow fried.

I find with certain fried foods like puris, they have to be eaten fresh out of the pan, they don't keep well. A lot of desi food seems designed for eating fresh (apart from chutneys and pickles and tried foods which preserve for ages, but I mean in terms of main meals it's all fresh stuff) and a lot of it doesn't keep well. Handis/salans can be frozen (and we do successfully freeze ours so well that you can't taste the difference) but I mean in terms of roti, puri, paratha etc, that has to be fresh out of the pan when you eat it.

There are a lot of options and recipes for what to do with leftover handi or veg etc, but it's rare to hear of good options for leftover roti or paratha etc. Though Jamie Oliver once showed an interesting recipe using leftover roti to make the equivalent of a 'tortilla omelette' and it looked good but never tried it.
      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

I've tried puri and on tv I've seen recipes of pooris that are stuffed with daal though never tried that myself. Then again when you say it's less fattening than paratha, that confuses me cos I've always seen puris deep fried and always assumed they are more fattening cos parathas are shallow fried.

I find with certain fried foods like puris, they have to be eaten fresh out of the pan, they don't keep well. A lot of desi food seems designed for eating fresh (apart from chutneys and pickles and tried foods which preserve for ages, but I mean in terms of main meals it's all fresh stuff) and a lot of it doesn't keep well. Handis/salans can be frozen (and we do successfully freeze ours so well that you can't taste the difference) but I mean in terms of roti, puri, paratha etc, that has to be fresh out of the pan when you eat it.

There are a lot of options and recipes for what to do with leftover handi or veg etc, but it's rare to hear of good options for leftover roti or paratha etc. Though Jamie Oliver once showed an interesting recipe using leftover roti to make the equivalent of a 'tortilla omelette' and it looked good but never tried it.
        Oh sorry, I should have made it clearer, the actual part of the 'pastry' is prepared with less fat pre cooking and therefore, not as fattening at it's precooked stage compared to paratha which needs the ghee or fattening like pastry does before being placed on the tawa
        it can actual be eaten without deep frying it, I guess it can be shallow fried but won't be as tasty and fluffy as deep fried

I know what you mean about certain food being eat fresh, ideally hot rice for example, freshly cooked off the stove makes such a difference to the meal but ofcourse, this isn't always practical and we end up eating the old rice by microwaving it or put it on low gas with a sprinkling of water to let it heat up

We eat fresh roti too once in a while, roti is just too much hard work for my wrists so I don't make that and neither am I a pro as I don't practise
        This is why naan is so much easier, less kneading required

My mum on the other hand can make it Alhamdullilah although as people get older their strength and speed with these things decreases

Yeh I have never seen ideas for left over rotis and parathaa either

Unless it can be turned into crumbs like bread crumb to coat other food

Comment

• Did any eat a punch?

Comment

• Where is Topic? Our cleaner bought us some celebrations chocolates on her last day working here and celebrations have changed quite a bit over the years. Didn't they used to contain topic? I really like topic and was disappointed to see it wasn't there.

Recently there were headlines everywhere about celebrations removing their least popular chocolate from their range (was it bounty?) and there was such a big fuss about it- yet they've made several changes already and no one seems to have noticed. First of all, the pack no longer had topic or galaxy truffle. Secondly the maltesers is no longer egg shaped like a little easter egg (I used to love those), but it has a flat base.

Oh well, it was still nice of her to get that for us and we've been enjoying it. I found snickers particularly tasty even though nuts cause a skin reaction so I was itching so much afterwards- I have to be careful with that.

Comment

Where is Topic? Our cleaner bought us some celebrations chocolates on her last day working here and celebrations have changed quite a bit over the years. Didn't they used to contain topic? I really like topic and was disappointed to see it wasn't there.

Recently there were headlines everywhere about celebrations removing their least popular chocolate from their range (was it bounty?) and there was such a big fuss about it- yet they've made several changes already and no one seems to have noticed. First of all, the pack no longer had topic or galaxy truffle. Secondly the maltesers is no longer egg shaped like a little easter egg (I used to love those), but it has a flat base.

Oh well, it was still nice of her to get that for us and we've been enjoying it. I found snickers particularly tasty even though nuts cause a skin reaction so I was itching so much afterwards- I have to be careful with that.
              The tubs get worse and smaller each year
              I don't know what happened to topic, I don't see it anywhere but I'm not a fan of topic, got nothing against it just not my type lol

Bounty is alright but I like the actual bar, I find the ones from the tub taste different. The last I heard that they want to get rid of it from the tubs.

You're right about the maltesers and galaxy truffle, they always get rid of the good ones.

You can now get teasers separately but they're not completely the same as the ones you used to get in the celebration tub.

I really miss the coffee flavoured one in the roses tub. That was so good, it wasn't full on espresso flavour but a really nice mild touch of coffee that complimented the smooth chocolate.

Comment

• Originally posted by notEVOLVED View Post
                Did any eat a punch?
                What is that

Comment

What is that
                  its like a thappor, but stronger

Comment

• Originally posted by Mufti Cheesecake View Post

its like a thappor, but stronger
                    LMSO
                    I thought he was talking about a drink, I don't like thappor, painful

You know fita and baddam

Kunta haithai?

Comment

What is that
                      In Pakistan, if someone threatens to slap you (like sometimes elders threatened to slap me when I was a kid), they'd say "thappar khayengi?" (do you want a slap?). In any other context 'khayengi' means 'eat' so it translates more literally as "do you want to eat a slap?"

Not sure why Not Evolved would say that here though- maybe he needs to evolve or something.

Comment

In Pakistan, if someone threatens to slap you (like sometimes elders threatened to slap me when I was a kid), they'd say "thappar khayengi?" (do you want a slap?). In any other context 'khayengi' means 'eat' so it translates more literally as "do you want to eat a slap?"

Not sure why Not Evolved would say that here though- maybe he needs to evolve or something.
                        Yeh I saw his post the day he posted here and then thought I hope it's not an indirect towards me after the random thread malarkey, also because I mostly talk about food on here

thappor is the same translation for slap in Bengali too
                        And fita is a name of a fried snack made from rice flour but also means beating up like 'badam' which is for nuts

Comment

• I thought his comment was quite random- probably to pass the time. I think a lot of people on here are bored- I often am when I'm on here.

In Urdu badam means almonds. Not heard of fita though.

Going back to celebrations chocolates though: before giving up gluten, I loved the oval shaped maltesers and they used to sell boxes containing just those at one point (limited edition)- I still have those boxes though of course consumed the maltesers long ago.

Surprised to hear that some of the chocolates taste different from their full sized counterparts such as bounty and you say others have a different taste as well. Could the bounty merely taste different due to the slightly higher ratio of chocolate to coconut filling? If not, then in what way do you feel it tastes different? I haven't tried the bounty yet but will try to see whether I notice the same difference as you when I do try it inshaAllah.

Comment

I thought his comment was quite random- probably to pass the time. I think a lot of people on here are bored- I often am when I'm on here.

In Urdu badam means almonds. Not heard of fita though.

Going back to celebrations chocolates though: before giving up gluten, I loved the oval shaped maltesers and they used to sell boxes containing just those at one point (limited edition)- I still have those boxes though of course consumed the maltesers long ago.

Surprised to hear that some of the chocolates taste different from their full sized counterparts such as bounty and you say others have a different taste as well. Could the bounty merely taste different due to the slightly higher ratio of chocolate to coconut filling? If not, then in what way do you feel it tastes different? I haven't tried the bounty yet but will try to see whether I notice the same difference as you when I do try it inshaAllah.
                            It's just not as juicy as the actual bar, it's probably just me that tastes the slight difference

Yep, they used to have that teaser one aswell but not it's a different teaser selection that is sold separately

Comment

• Ah that^ reminds me- the oval maltesers used to be called 'teasers' whereas the flat bottomed ones in our box are called 'maltesers'. I hadn't noticed that before until you mentioned it.

Comment

• I want to eat maltesers
                                sometimes I think I'm fat now so what do I have to lose

Get it . *Snorts

Before you could get a maltesers box for a pound but now, it's alot more

Not sure why I'm thinking about junk food at this time of the night

I ALWAYS check the best before date because I know some shops carry on selling their out of date stuff, totally like eww

Today I saw some twirl bars out of date, I usually am the good Samaritan who goes UpTo (I gave up on gramamr and punctuation a long time ago, a cbo of laziness and the stupid spell checker/auto thing) the workers and tell them

This time I couldn't be bovvad mate, I thought, why should I do their dirt job, felt a little rebellious

JOke but I didn't have time I had to rush and I know it's always so much drama when you actually try to help

​​​​​

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X