Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random FOOD Thread ---/ What did you eat today?/ What did you make today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mufti Cheesecake View Post
    What are your top favourite meats? What haven't you tried but would like to?

Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Lamb, Goat, Salmon

I feel turkey is really underrated, a lot of people say that don't like it, but I like the unique flavour and smell it has. Just put half a turkey in the slow cooker and it'll come out really good.

Beef I don't think is really special, its just a good standard red meat when you want something meatier. I think steaks are overrated, and over exaggerated how good it is by western culture, especially their obsession with medium rare and aversion to well done. I think theres a reason why most of the world doesn't eat beef in a steak form, but rather in curries, stews, kebabs, pot roast, etc.

Salmon is probably my favourite fish, salt, pepper, and lemon, then just pan fry it. I hate how people clump all fish meat together, because a lot of them are drastically different.

I'd really like to try venison, deer meat, issue is that its hard to find halal deer meat. I've tried rabbit a few times when I was young, don't remember how it tastes so I'd like to try it again, it has very little fat, even less than chicken. Duck, again similar to rabbit, don't remember how it tastes would like to try again, my parents I think don't like it they said its tough and chewy.
    I like them all but like you, not a lover of beef, I like salmon, mackerel is another favourite, smells very strong but the taste is unique than other fish

Have you tried camel meat? I would like to try it. My dad has when he first went Saudi, he said it's dry and tastes similar to chicken.

Rabbit meat isn't appetising to me, I've never tried it and my parents aren't fond of the idea either.

I agree that turkey is nice, I like it with perfectly made gravy and roasted vegetables, sometimes I'll add ketchup.
    It has to be seasoned well

I hardly have it because it's only me and two of my sisters that like it.

I don't think you can get gold of deer meat in the UK but I don't think I'd mind trying that either. Duck I have had very long time ago when I asked my parents that I'd like to eat but again, would like to try now as an adult to appreciate the difference and the flavour.

Comment

What are your top favourite meats? What haven't you tried but would like to?

Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Lamb, Goat, Salmon

I feel turkey is really underrated, a lot of people say that don't like it, but I like the unique flavour and smell it has. Just put half a turkey in the slow cooker and it'll come out really good.

Beef I don't think is really special, its just a good standard red meat when you want something meatier. I think steaks are overrated, and over exaggerated how good it is by western culture, especially their obsession with medium rare and aversion to well done. I think theres a reason why most of the world doesn't eat beef in a steak form, but rather in curries, stews, kebabs, pot roast, etc.

Salmon is probably my favourite fish, salt, pepper, and lemon, then just pan fry it. I hate how people clump all fish meat together, because a lot of them are drastically different.

I'd really like to try venison, deer meat, issue is that its hard to find halal deer meat. I've tried rabbit a few times when I was young, don't remember how it tastes so I'd like to try it again, it has very little fat, even less than chicken. Duck, again similar to rabbit, don't remember how it tastes would like to try again, my parents I think don't like it they said its tough and chewy.
      We are all vegans here son

Comment

• I did a quick search and could find a few places offering halal venison, such as this one:

AL-WADOOD HALAL VENISON ( UK ) (halalvenisonuk.com)

On Lamb, chicken and seafood: As for what meat I like: at least 90% of the meat I buy is organic and most of the time I eat lamb and chicken. Eggs and fish tend to make me itch a lot which is why I rarely eat them though occasionally I have gluten free fish fingers or a tuna sandwich. I eat gluten free scampi sometimes because apparently it has vitamin b12 and I think I need that, but the problem is apparently vitamin b12 isn't that bioavailable in the vegetarian supplements and the non vegetarian supplements wouldn't be halal so that's why I occasionally have scampi (probably doesn't contain enough b12 but at least it's something).

On beef: Recently I bought some organic beef burgers again because beef contains more vitamin b12 than other meats. It tasted fine but VERY fatty- OMG so much fat came out, way more than expected and more than what I used to see in lamb burgers. Anyone on a budget should save some of that fat and use it to shallow fry things like eggs etc. The only beef I've ever tried is beef burgers so I have no idea what steak or other cuts of beef taste like.

On turkey: Decades ago, I was invited to a halal xmas dinner which is the only time I've eaten turkey. As it was cooked goray style, I found it REALLY bland and tasteless. Looking back though, I remember the texture was good and think that if chicken were cooked that way it would be bland too. Considering it's a healthy meat, I think if it were infused with other flavours, it has the potential to taste pretty good so it might be worth trying again in future. One of my convert friends likes turkey, but she's frustrated that halal versions are only sold around xmas time as she'd be happy to eat it year round

On quail: Yum! I've only tried it once at a restaurant, where I mistakenly thought it was chicken wings, but didi told me it's actually quail. It tasted nice It's worth trying at least once.

On camel: I think I had camel once. I was at an Arab brother's wedding where they served some meat pillau and the meat pieces were REALLY big- too big to be sheep, though it tasted of red meat. We speculated and guessed that it might be camel. I think it tasted fine.

Other seafood: I don't like other seafood. I've tried crab sticks and prawns but didn't like them. I've tried squid rings and that was okay but nothing special. I don't think I've tried other seafood and I'm not tempted to. Me and mum are a bit squeamish about how lobsters and seafoods are boiled alive so that's off putting as well. I sadly dislike the taste of salmon and most oily fish. I don't mind the taste of sardines in small doses but as fish damages my skin, so I very rarely have it. If anything, I'm curious about trying seaweed as it's meant to be really nutritious and good for you- but I know so little on the subject that I wouldn't know where to begin.

On other meats: I don't think I've tried other meats. I'm not that curious or adventurous anyway, though if I had the chance to try other meats: I think I'd like to try buffalo meat (even though its milk is really fatty, apparently the meat is really lean) and I'd be curious to try duck at least once and I hear rabbit tastes good (though rabbits can be quite cute so probably just as well I haven't had it). One of my friends had a pet rabbit, then she left the rabbit with a family friend whilst she went on holiday and when she came back, she found out they ate it. I'd probably throttle someone who'd try to do that with one of my pets. I'm not that curious or adventurous about game or other meats though I have heard that they are lean and healthy.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

• I have tried seaweed and enjoy eating it.

You can get seaweed 'thins' and eat it as a snack, itsu have a multipack packet, Ive brought those before from sainsburys.

Neelu, if you don't like fish, you probably won't like it as it has a strong flavour.

I shared it with some colleagues, a few liked it but others found it vile lol

​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by notEVOLVED View Post

We are all vegans here son
            So thats why this forum is dead

Comment

• Ya'sin
              I would try camel meat, but I also have a love for the animal and feel they're better suited for transportation, so not at the top of my list of meats I'm dying to try. I wouldn't refuse though.

Similarly horse meat, I think many people have an aversion to horse meat for the same reasons. Would you try horse meat?

neelu
              Our bodys b12 stores last a long time like 2-4 years, so don't need to worry unless you know you're deficient, generally if you're eating meat then you're getting enough b12. They also fortify b12 in a lot of processed foods, but I guess you don't eat those.

If you want you can eat liver, specifically chicken liver, rich in b12, its rich in a lot of vitamins and nutrients. You can try beef or lamb liver too, but you can't eat them as often because they have more Vit A than chicken, so its easier to get too much Vit A, and get toxicity. Its another meat I wanted to mention, liver, its cheap, easy to cook, some people can't get over the taste. Doesn't taste bad, but I'll admit its not the best. I get it as a cheap protein and nutrient source sometimes.

Ye its a good idea to use that beef fat, a lot of people actually buy the fat separately like tallow, and cook with it. Some these days say its healthy, though 'health experts' used to say its not and will give you a heart attack. Just like butter and ghee, is it healthy, not healthy? I've lost track.

I agree with your convert friend, turkey should be available year round, when it is available its also really expensive. I guess its supply and demand, the cultures that primarily make up the Muslim communities mainly just eat chicken, beef, lamb. Same with rabbits, you can actually produce rabbits faster than chickens, I think it'd be cheaper too and more profitable, but theres not much demand for it.

Comment

• Mufti cheesecake I thought horses were haram?

Would never see it as food or even contemplate trying it urgh
                I love camels, they're fun to ride but I'd want to try the meat too
                it has less hair and hair puts me off
                I'm not dying to try it but would like to try it once

​​​​​​Chicken is the best and yummy eggs

I think eggs have made me a bit fat because my consumption has increased due to staying home and having a bit more time to prepare scrambled and fried eggs

Comment

• Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                  Mufti cheesecake I thought horses were haram?

Would never see it as food or even contemplate trying it urgh
                  I love camels, they're fun to ride but I'd want to try the meat too
                  it has less hair and hair puts me off
                  I'm not dying to try it but would like to try it once

​​​​​​Chicken is the best and yummy eggs

I think eggs have made me a bit fat because my consumption has increased due to staying home and having a bit more time to prepare scrambled and fried eggs
                  Most say horses are halal, some say its makrooh. Donkeys are haram. Thats what I know.

Comment

Most say horses are halal, some say its makrooh. Donkeys are haram. Thats what I know.
                    Yikes, that's news to me
                    I'd still not try it, I'm not that adventurous

Comment

Ya'sin
                      I would try camel meat, but I also have a love for the animal and feel they're better suited for transportation, so not at the top of my list of meats I'm dying to try. I wouldn't refuse though.

Similarly horse meat, I think many people have an aversion to horse meat for the same reasons. Would you try horse meat?

neelu
                      Our bodys b12 stores last a long time like 2-4 years, so don't need to worry unless you know you're deficient, generally if you're eating meat then you're getting enough b12. They also fortify b12 in a lot of processed foods, but I guess you don't eat those.

If you want you can eat liver, specifically chicken liver, rich in b12, its rich in a lot of vitamins and nutrients. You can try beef or lamb liver too, but you can't eat them as often because they have more Vit A than chicken, so its easier to get too much Vit A, and get toxicity. Its another meat I wanted to mention, liver, its cheap, easy to cook, some people can't get over the taste. Doesn't taste bad, but I'll admit its not the best. I get it as a cheap protein and nutrient source sometimes.

Ye its a good idea to use that beef fat, a lot of people actually buy the fat separately like tallow, and cook with it. Some these days say its healthy, though 'health experts' used to say its not and will give you a heart attack. Just like butter and ghee, is it healthy, not healthy? I've lost track.

I agree with your convert friend, turkey should be available year round, when it is available its also really expensive. I guess its supply and demand, the cultures that primarily make up the Muslim communities mainly just eat chicken, beef, lamb. Same with rabbits, you can actually produce rabbits faster than chickens, I think it'd be cheaper too and more profitable, but theres not much demand for it.

I've always thoroughly disliked the taste of offal. I realise it's a bit of a shame, cos liver and kidneys are very nutritionally dense and it would probably be more bioavailable than taking vitamin supplements as it's so natural, but I could never get past how it tastes so sadly it's not really an option for me.

I don't know my b12 levels tbh. I did have a test which came back normal but that was about 14 years ago so it could be different now. I do eat meat, but when I looked on a nutrition chart, it showed that chicken and lamb contain a lot less b12 compared to other meats such as beef and shellfish, which is why I've started incorporating them in my diet but I only have them in small amounts.

I'm not sure how healthy beef is. All the health warnings about red meat tend to emphasise that beef is bad and I think there's a hadith which says the milk is a cure/treatment but the meat of cow is a disease- so that gives me pause. So I decided I'll have it for the b12 content but I'll have it in small amounts. I bought halal beef burgers a couple of weeks ago and so far have eaten one. Also had some scampi the other day- both were nice. I honestly wouldn't know what to do with the beef fat. Come to think of it, it is a heat stable fat so we really could (and probably should) put it in our handis and cooking in place of ghee or use it for shallow frying. Hmm, I was shallow frying some pancakes the other day in butter and wondering whether I should be avoiding dairy- maybe I should consider frying them in beef fat?

Comment

• What does rabbit taste like?

Comment

• I wouldn't want to try horse meat even if it is categorised as halal. Maybe if I grew up in a culture where it was normal it wouldn't bother me but I'm not even curious.

Comment

• neelu
                            I've heard of things you can do to liver to make it more palatable, can maybe look into that, because like you said, really nutritionally dense. B12 deficiency usually not an issue if you're eating meat, vegetarians and vegans are more at risk. Pancakes in beef fat, might taste a bit funky.

Oh ya and that halal venison site, I think thats for butchers, like to buy in wholesale, because they only sell whole deers.

notEVOLVED
                            I've had once a long time ago, so don't remember, but people say its like chicken but slightly unique.

Comment

• Let's hunt some deers

Comment

neelu
                                I've heard of things you can do to liver to make it more palatable, can maybe look into that, because like you said, really nutritionally dense. B12 deficiency usually not an issue if you're eating meat, vegetarians and vegans are more at risk. Pancakes in beef fat, might taste a bit funky.

Oh ya and that halal venison site, I think thats for butchers, like to buy in wholesale, because they only sell whole deers.

notEVOLVED
                                I've had once a long time ago, so don't remember, but people say its like chicken but slightly unique.
                                One time on channel four, they showed Gordon Ramsey with a Muslim guy who was hunting deer, so he was a supplier of halal venison. There was a thread about it on the forum questioning how the guy went about hunting and whether it was halal and the hunter brother actually replied to the thread himself. It was really cool to watch. Game meats tend to be quite healthy because they have the nutrition of meat but are very lean as well- kinda perfect considering the western lifestyle. The only issue would be finding recipes. Kufaar always wrap these meats with pork fat or bacon because if you cook it like other meats, it'll be too tough due to the lack of fat so it needs to be cooked a specific way and it sometimes needs fat added to it for the recipe to work. They did an episode of cooking rabbits on River Cottage and that looked nice as the recipes looked very accessible such as frying rabbit legs the way one would fry chicken wings and also selling bunny burgers- it all looked good and the customers enjoyed it. Also their local Indian restaurant made rabbit curry so that is possible as well.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X