Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what did you eat for breakfast?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

    Yeh sometimes I keep the skin on, other times I peel it, my parents prefer peeled because sometimes the skin is quite muddy and harder to wash off
    the thing is butternut squash is even harder, how do people cut through that? I'd have to give it all my strength and take rest for the rest of the day

    I've seen people roast butternut squash in the oven, I prefer it in meat curries, I think it compliments lamb/beef

    that looks exactly like the pumpkin pie they go crazy about over there
    I'll keep an eye out, I don't think I have ever been to whole foods or seen it

    Sounds like farm foods
    I think whole foods is very different from farm foods. I think if we barbeque sweet potato (whole with just some fork pricks around the outside), then the skin can turn a bit black but that's okay cos it's easy to peel off and no one eats the skin anyway so you can access the flesh of the sweet potato easily. It's possible that some wrap them in foil first but I've heard of some health risks of aluminium which is why I avoid using it.

    You're right, butternut squash is REALLY hard to cut. I wonder if you have a particularly sturdy and super sharp big knife. Some of the expensive quality knives can cut through something as hard as a potato as if it's butter- it's very effective BUT I avoid them cos of the risk of easily cutting your finger if you make one mistake. Honestly what my dad does is buy ready cut butternut cubes from the supermarket cos he finds it a pain to cut and peel a whole one as well. Jamie Oliver would slice the squash into wedges like a big melon and says you don't necessarily need to peel them and he roasts them with the skin on.

    I've only used butternut squash in two dishes: one is a butternut soup and the other is sometimes I stir fry 1cm cubes of butternut squash and add them to chicken and quinoa and it's not bad. I don't think I'd like it in a desi dish.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

      well i seen someone who does homeopathy today and got a telling off and that i need to aboid junk food

      seriously? i always thought you was a brother!
      I think we should all be trying to avoid junk food to be honest..

      yes, dunno what made you think I was a brother lol

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by neelu View Post

        I think whole foods is very different from farm foods. I think if we barbeque sweet potato (whole with just some fork pricks around the outside), then the skin can turn a bit black but that's okay cos it's easy to peel off and no one eats the skin anyway so you can access the flesh of the sweet potato easily. It's possible that some wrap them in foil first but I've heard of some health risks of aluminium which is why I avoid using it.

        You're right, butternut squash is REALLY hard to cut. I wonder if you have a particularly sturdy and super sharp big knife. Some of the expensive quality knives can cut through something as hard as a potato as if it's butter- it's very effective BUT I avoid them cos of the risk of easily cutting your finger if you make one mistake. Honestly what my dad does is buy ready cut butternut cubes from the supermarket cos he finds it a pain to cut and peel a whole one as well. Jamie Oliver would slice the squash into wedges like a big melon and says you don't necessarily need to peel them and he roasts them with the skin on.

        I've only used butternut squash in two dishes: one is a butternut soup and the other is sometimes I stir fry 1cm cubes of butternut squash and add them to chicken and quinoa and it's not bad. I don't think I'd like it in a desi dish.
        My mum makes an amazing halwa with butternut squash or pumpkin (depending on what's available). The main spice she puts in is ginger and then a load of butter in the end. It's amazing! An aquired taste though as some people don't like strong flavours but I love all spices and with a pan full of butter chucked in there how can it not taste nice? 🤤

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by A Wandering Soul View Post

          I think we should all be trying to avoid junk food to be honest..

          yes, dunno what made you think I was a brother lol
          well tbh i been good today after being told off by the homeopathic doctor lol

          i had green tea with raw honey and a lot of green teas i dont like even though i like the benefits and sound of them but this one i got is amazons own brand and even without honey its actually nice, the nicest green tea ive had so far, i had tetley one before but that was urghhhh

          also normally at this time i'd pig out on junk food, maybe its a way toi cope with stress? i dont know tbh

          but i was good Alhamdulillah Allahumma Bareek and i had some dates just now, amazing thing about dates is how filling they are subhanAllah

          yea sorry just by your posts i assumed youre a brother :/

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

            well tbh i been good today after being told off by the homeopathic doctor lol

            i had green tea with raw honey and a lot of green teas i dont like even though i like the benefits and sound of them but this one i got is amazons own brand and even without honey its actually nice, the nicest green tea ive had so far, i had tetley one before but that was urghhhh

            also normally at this time i'd pig out on junk food, maybe its a way toi cope with stress? i dont know tbh

            but i was good Alhamdulillah Allahumma Bareek and i had some dates just now, amazing thing about dates is how filling they are subhanAllah

            yea sorry just by your posts i assumed youre a brother :/
            Lol, green teas all taste similar to me. I've been trying other herbal teas. I've been having fennel tea and spearmint tea and I'm going to order some dandelion and nettle tea soon as well InshaAllah. I was going to order some raspberry leaf tea but then it occured to me hold on a sec, I have raspberries outisde in my garden, why pay someone else when I can go and pick them out myself and dry them myself. I didn't realise how easy it was.

            people turn to food for all sorts of reasons and yes stress is one of them! Food provides immediate comfort and soothes us. I guess the first step is knowing this and trying to raise your awareness every time you find yourself indulging in food that you don't need and is probably also pretty bad for you.

            my first step I took when trying to reduce sugar was saying to myself I only eat it when I actually really want it. No more picking up stuff every time I walk through the kitchen, no more evening dramas and tea and biscuit rituals, no more oh she's having it so I'm going to have it too etc. It's just being more concious of your actions and why you do them I suppose. I've had very unhealthy eating habits most of my life so I'm trying to deal with this too.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by A Wandering Soul
              Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

              well tbh i been good today after being told off by the homeopathic doctor lol

              i had green tea with raw honey and a lot of green teas i dont like even though i like the benefits and sound of them but this one i got is amazons own brand and even without honey its actually nice, the nicest green tea ive had so far, i had tetley one before but that was urghhhh

              also normally at this time i'd pig out on junk food, maybe its a way toi cope with stress? i dont know tbh

              but i was good Alhamdulillah Allahumma Bareek and i had some dates just now, amazing thing about dates is how filling they are subhanAllah

              yea sorry just by your posts i assumed youre a brother :/
              Lol, green teas all taste similar to me. I've been trying other herbal teas. I've been having fennel tea and spearmint tea and I'm going to order some dandelion and nettle tea soon as well InshaAllah. I was going to order some raspberry leaf tea but then it occured to me hold on a sec, I have raspberries outisde in my garden, why pay someone else when I can go and pick them out myself and dry them myself. I didn't realise how easy it was.

              people turn to food for all sorts of reasons and yes stress is one of them! Food provides immediate comfort and soothes us. I guess the first step is knowing this and trying to raise your awareness every time you find yourself indulging in food that you don't need and is probably also pretty bad for you.

              my first step I took when trying to reduce sugar was saying to myself I only eat it when I actually really want it. No more picking up stuff every time I walk through the kitchen, no more evening dramas and tea and biscuit rituals, no more oh she's having it so I'm going to have it too etc. It's just being more concious of your actions and why you do them I suppose. I've had very unhealthy eating habits most of my life so I'm trying to deal with this too.
              I like fennel tea but had to get it from amazon as I couldn't find it from local supermarkets

              Ive had peppermint tea but not spearmint tea, is it just another minty tea, so similar in taste?

              Not had dandelion or nettle tea tbh what's the benefits to them?

              I want to start growing stuff in the garden but got no idea how and don't know anything about gardening but I would like to grow chillies In sha Allah

              Not so much biscuits but chocolate and crisps are a big fitna for me tbh lol 🤷

              Comment


              • #97
                Dandelions and nettles are REALLY good for our health. We are fools for spraying poisons and weed killer on them, these weeds are actually good for us. I've not had them as teas but I've eaten nettles before. It's very nutritious and tastes like spinach when it's blanched. It contains vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and some other minerals. Dandelions and their roots are used in herbal medicines.
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

                Comment


                • #98
                  i dont like butternut squash or sweet potatoes much, i think my bengali friends sometime use this in their curry along with other things
                  And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
                  [al-An�aam 6:59]

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by neelu View Post

                    I think whole foods is very different from farm foods. I think if we barbeque sweet potato (whole with just some fork pricks around the outside), then the skin can turn a bit black but that's okay cos it's easy to peel off and no one eats the skin anyway so you can access the flesh of the sweet potato easily. It's possible that some wrap them in foil first but I've heard of some health risks of aluminium which is why I avoid using it.

                    You're right, butternut squash is REALLY hard to cut. I wonder if you have a particularly sturdy and super sharp big knife. Some of the expensive quality knives can cut through something as hard as a potato as if it's butter- it's very effective BUT I avoid them cos of the risk of easily cutting your finger if you make one mistake. Honestly what my dad does is buy ready cut butternut cubes from the supermarket cos he finds it a pain to cut and peel a whole one as well. Jamie Oliver would slice the squash into wedges like a big melon and says you don't necessarily need to peel them and he roasts them with the skin on.

                    I've only used butternut squash in two dishes: one is a butternut soup and the other is sometimes I stir fry 1cm cubes of butternut squash and add them to chicken and quinoa and it's not bad. I don't think I'd like it in a desi dish.
                    I know it may sound like a weird combination but I do think it's a good one.

                    Usually my dad sharpens the knives as we use them regularly for cooking and preparing the food, I have baby wrists so I struggle with cutting these veg more than others, even with an apple
                    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

                    So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by neelu
                      Dandelions and nettles are REALLY good for our health. We are fools for spraying poisons and weed killer on them, these weeds are actually good for us. I've not had them as teas but I've eaten nettles before. It's very nutritious and tastes like spinach when it's blanched. It contains vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and some other minerals. Dandelions and their roots are used in herbal medicines.
                      What do the teas taste like?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by neelu View Post
                        Dandelions and nettles are REALLY good for our health. We are fools for spraying poisons and weed killer on them, these weeds are actually good for us. I've not had them as teas but I've eaten nettles before. It's very nutritious and tastes like spinach when it's blanched. It contains vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and some other minerals. Dandelions and their roots are used in herbal medicines.
                        Dandelion root tea is so expensive as well. It's crazy but we actually have all these amazing herbs in our garden which we spend money on to kill and then spend more money to buy them in a bag instead. Fools ah. How did you eat the nettles? I was gardening not long ago and kept getting stung every two seconds, so don't know how to handle it

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

                          I like fennel tea but had to get it from amazon as I couldn't find it from local supermarkets

                          Ive had peppermint tea but not spearmint tea, is it just another minty tea, so similar in taste?

                          Not had dandelion or nettle tea tbh what's the benefits to them?

                          I want to start growing stuff in the garden but got no idea how and don't know anything about gardening but I would like to grow chillies In sha Allah

                          Not so much biscuits but chocolate and crisps are a big fitna for me tbh lol 🤷
                          Fennel tea is nice too. It is similar in taste to be honest but I have spearmint tea because it's very good for a health problem I have.

                          i think there are lots of teas out there and every herb has some health benefits which we can benefit from. I don't know the benefits of dandelion or nettle tea from the top of my head but you can Google them. I think a lot of us have so many health problems now because of all the superficial food we are eating. We need to get back to nature and eat wholesome food and allow our bodies to heal themselves.

                          Go for it InshaAllah. You can just buy a plant from a gardening centre and you just need to water stuff once in a while. Most plants come with some instructions that say where to place the plant and how often to water it

                          Comment


                          • Simply_Logical I said in the comment that I'd never tried it then you ask me how it tastes???

                            Originally posted by A Wandering Soul View Post

                            Dandelion root tea is so expensive as well. It's crazy but we actually have all these amazing herbs in our garden which we spend money on to kill and then spend more money to buy them in a bag instead. Fools ah. How did you eat the nettles? I was gardening not long ago and kept getting stung every two seconds, so don't know how to handle it
                            You're right, I find that so baffling. Apparently dandelion leaves are sold in posh restaurants in France and they're quite expensive. Honestly, I get my dad to pick the nettles. I'd never recommend doing it by hand. You should wear gloves and also have some sort of scissors or shears handy to cut them. This time of year the plant is a bit mature with big leaves so might not taste as good- it's better to harvest them in March which is the best time of year for them. What you do is get a pan of boiling water, tip the nettles into it and boil for 90 seconds. In fact a minute would be enough to get rid of the sting, then pour into a colander to drain (when cool enough to handle, squeeze out as much moisture from it as possible as the water can ruin the taste). I prefer to chop the leaves and discard the stalks, then look up Italian spinach and ricotta recipes and instead of all spinach I'd suggest using half spinach and half nettles in the recipe.

                            A very simple way of preparing them would be to stuff crepes (made with organic eggs) with a mixture of chopped nettle leaves, spinach, ricotta and a little parmesan. That's the simplest way to eat them. If you know how to make fresh pasta then use the mixture as a ravioli filling. My favourite way to eat them though is to get an oven dish, pour some marinara type tomato sauce on the bottom, then put a layer of stuffed crepes in the oven dish, then top with a layer of mascarpone and mozarella and bake in a medium oven for about 20-40 minutes (40 mins if the oven is not fan assisted, 20-30 if it's fan assisted) until the cheese on top starts turning brown. It's called spinach and ricotta cannelloni and is one of my favourite things to eat in the world, but it's rich and quite indulgent.

                            I actually eat the nettles for health reasons. I have a ton of food intolerances including to several fruits and vegetables but I seem to tolerate nettles and it contains vitamin A, vitamin K, calcium and other beneficial nutrients. I think this combination of flavours works best. I personally would not recommend making it into desi salan or saag- I've never tried using it in desi dishes but it has a slightly different texture and I'm not sure it would work. One other recipe I've used it in though is a type of spinakopita with a twist: in a frying pan, saute red onions and blanched nettles for a couple of minutes in a tiny bit of olive oil (to remove any remaining moisture from the nettles), add a little salt and pepper (only a little salt cos feta is salty). Roll out puff pastry into a rectangle, then fill half of it with the nettle and onion mixture, scatter cubes of feta over it, then fold the other half of the pastry over it to make it a stuffed pastry square. Switch on a sandwich toaster and when it's hot, put the pastry square in there and leave it to cook. In my experience, a wheatflour pastry square takes about 18 minutes to cook in a sandwich toaster but gluten free pastry takes more like 25mins. If you don't have a sandwich toaster, press down the edges of the pastry square with a fork to seal it then bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 7 until the pastry puffs up and starts browning on top. Depending on the type of oven this should take about 20-25mins. I make my own pastry but you can buy it ready made from the shops.
                            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by neelu
                              Simply_Logical I said in the comment that I'd never tried it then you ask me how it tastes???

                              Originally posted by A Wandering Soul View Post

                              Dandelion root tea is so expensive as well. It's crazy but we actually have all these amazing herbs in our garden which we spend money on to kill and then spend more money to buy them in a bag instead. Fools ah. How did you eat the nettles? I was gardening not long ago and kept getting stung every two seconds, so don't know how to handle it
                              You're right, I find that so baffling. Apparently dandelion leaves are sold in posh restaurants in France and they're quite expensive. Honestly, I get my dad to pick the nettles. I'd never recommend doing it by hand. You should wear gloves and also have some sort of scissors or shears handy to cut them. This time of year the plant is a bit mature with big leaves so might not taste as good- it's better to harvest them in March which is the best time of year for them. What you do is get a pan of boiling water, tip the nettles into it and boil for 90 seconds. In fact a minute would be enough to get rid of the sting, then pour into a colander to drain (when cool enough to handle, squeeze out as much moisture from it as possible as the water can ruin the taste). I prefer to chop the leaves and discard the stalks, then look up Italian spinach and ricotta recipes and instead of all spinach I'd suggest using half spinach and half nettles in the recipe.

                              A very simple way of preparing them would be to stuff crepes (made with organic eggs) with a mixture of chopped nettle leaves, spinach, ricotta and a little parmesan. That's the simplest way to eat them. If you know how to make fresh pasta then use the mixture as a ravioli filling. My favourite way to eat them though is to get an oven dish, pour some marinara type tomato sauce on the bottom, then put a layer of stuffed crepes in the oven dish, then top with a layer of mascarpone and mozarella and bake in a medium oven for about 20-40 minutes (40 mins if the oven is not fan assisted, 20-30 if it's fan assisted) until the cheese on top starts turning brown. It's called spinach and ricotta cannelloni and is one of my favourite things to eat in the world, but it's rich and quite indulgent.

                              I actually eat the nettles for health reasons. I have a ton of food intolerances including to several fruits and vegetables but I seem to tolerate nettles and it contains vitamin A, vitamin K, calcium and other beneficial nutrients. I think this combination of flavours works best. I personally would not recommend making it into desi salan or saag- I've never tried using it in desi dishes but it has a slightly different texture and I'm not sure it would work. One other recipe I've used it in though is a type of spinakopita with a twist: in a frying pan, saute red onions and blanched nettles for a couple of minutes in a tiny bit of olive oil (to remove any remaining moisture from the nettles), add a little salt and pepper (only a little salt cos feta is salty). Roll out puff pastry into a rectangle, then fill half of it with the nettle and onion mixture, scatter cubes of feta over it, then fold the other half of the pastry over it to make it a stuffed pastry square. Switch on a sandwich toaster and when it's hot, put the pastry square in there and leave it to cook. In my experience, a wheatflour pastry square takes about 18 minutes to cook in a sandwich toaster but gluten free pastry takes more like 25mins. If you don't have a sandwich toaster, press down the edges of the pastry square with a fork to seal it then bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 7 until the pastry puffs up and starts browning on top. Depending on the type of oven this should take about 20-25mins. I make my own pastry but you can buy it ready made from the shops.
                              Sorry my bad mustve been in my own world when I posted that 🤦

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by neelu View Post
                                Simply_Logical I said in the comment that I'd never tried it then you ask me how it tastes???



                                You're right, I find that so baffling. Apparently dandelion leaves are sold in posh restaurants in France and they're quite expensive. Honestly, I get my dad to pick the nettles. I'd never recommend doing it by hand. You should wear gloves and also have some sort of scissors or shears handy to cut them. This time of year the plant is a bit mature with big leaves so might not taste as good- it's better to harvest them in March which is the best time of year for them. What you do is get a pan of boiling water, tip the nettles into it and boil for 90 seconds. In fact a minute would be enough to get rid of the sting, then pour into a colander to drain (when cool enough to handle, squeeze out as much moisture from it as possible as the water can ruin the taste). I prefer to chop the leaves and discard the stalks, then look up Italian spinach and ricotta recipes and instead of all spinach I'd suggest using half spinach and half nettles in the recipe.

                                A very simple way of preparing them would be to stuff crepes (made with organic eggs) with a mixture of chopped nettle leaves, spinach, ricotta and a little parmesan. That's the simplest way to eat them. If you know how to make fresh pasta then use the mixture as a ravioli filling. My favourite way to eat them though is to get an oven dish, pour some marinara type tomato sauce on the bottom, then put a layer of stuffed crepes in the oven dish, then top with a layer of mascarpone and mozarella and bake in a medium oven for about 20-40 minutes (40 mins if the oven is not fan assisted, 20-30 if it's fan assisted) until the cheese on top starts turning brown. It's called spinach and ricotta cannelloni and is one of my favourite things to eat in the world, but it's rich and quite indulgent.

                                I actually eat the nettles for health reasons. I have a ton of food intolerances including to several fruits and vegetables but I seem to tolerate nettles and it contains vitamin A, vitamin K, calcium and other beneficial nutrients. I think this combination of flavours works best. I personally would not recommend making it into desi salan or saag- I've never tried using it in desi dishes but it has a slightly different texture and I'm not sure it would work. One other recipe I've used it in though is a type of spinakopita with a twist: in a frying pan, saute red onions and blanched nettles for a couple of minutes in a tiny bit of olive oil (to remove any remaining moisture from the nettles), add a little salt and pepper (only a little salt cos feta is salty). Roll out puff pastry into a rectangle, then fill half of it with the nettle and onion mixture, scatter cubes of feta over it, then fold the other half of the pastry over it to make it a stuffed pastry square. Switch on a sandwich toaster and when it's hot, put the pastry square in there and leave it to cook. In my experience, a wheatflour pastry square takes about 18 minutes to cook in a sandwich toaster but gluten free pastry takes more like 25mins. If you don't have a sandwich toaster, press down the edges of the pastry square with a fork to seal it then bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 7 until the pastry puffs up and starts browning on top. Depending on the type of oven this should take about 20-25mins. I make my own pastry but you can buy it ready made from the shops.
                                Wow that's so impressive mashaAllah I did not know people eat nettles and I am blown away at how much culinery experience you have, is it a cultural thing or where did you learn to eat nettles from? And only 1 minute to get rid of the sting really? I'm surprised considering how nasty the sting is when you get it. I got stung so many times but there was a plant called lambs ear which was supposed to help with the aftermath of a sting, I was amazed SubhanAllah seeing natural remedies out in the garden.

                                I'm just starting my journey out on trying to eat better for my health so I'm still clueless about a lot and I'm not much of a cook to be honest, I try to do what is simple and easy. I'm avoiding dairy and carbs in general so I probably couldn't use them recipes but thank you for sharing, definately very inspiring.

                                I think it's the roots of the dandelion which are more expensive. Since I'm inexperienced at the moment I'm going to buy the packet for now. My brother has a massive garden and they have all sorts of amazing things in there but none of us know what to do with any of it. InshaAllah slowly slowly I'm going to learn how to use them. There's so much potential out there

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X