Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold exposure - cold water wudhu, showers etc

Assalamualaiku wah rahmatullahi wah barakatuhu

So Ive been watching this guy called wim hof and he takes iced bath and all sorts of crazy records, he's got this method which is called the wim hof method, which you can see online...

Anyways he mentions how cold exposure can treat many illnesses such as inflammation etc and even anxiety and depression

It got me thinking about spirituality and muslims of the past like the pious salaf who may have done wudhu, ghusl etc with cold water etc and how it may have possibly benefitted them

So Im really interested to know does anyone here experiment with cold water, as in tried showering it consecutively or done wudhu with it consecutively intention for it's benefits?

jazakAllah khayran

Cold Water Therapy Benefits for the Immune System and Depression?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xFo8VDkDq5c&t=7s

Comment

Wim Hof - The Benefits of Cold Water Exposure

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0d7tetVFBaQ

Comment

walaykum salam wrwb,

I've come across this guy and heard of some of the benefits of cold exposure and temperature changes (which would explain why people in Scandinavia go to hot saunas and then jump into the snow- apparently it's therapeutic even though it looks crazy). My dad once had a terrible headache and then he walked through a cold stream and just that cold water coming into contact with his feet got rid of his headache. One time I had a headache and remembered this so I did my ghusl using cooler than usual water- both of these incidents happened in summer months.

I don't believe using cold water is always a good idea. One time in the winter I did wudhu for fajr and the hot water hadn't kicked in yet so the tap water was still cold and when I washed my feet, they just contorted into some kind of spasm and it was awful. Some people get into a habit of using it and say cold showers help them feel more refreshed, awake and are good for general health- if you can get the hang of it and benefit from it then it's fine, but if you try it a couple of times and it doesn't work for you, then I'd say don't persist with it.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

This sounds crazy but I've always wanted to try winter bathing

But it won't be possible..

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
            walaykum salam wrwb,

I've come across this guy and heard of some of the benefits of cold exposure and temperature changes (which would explain why people in Scandinavia go to hot saunas and then jump into the snow- apparently it's therapeutic even though it looks crazy). My dad once had a terrible headache and then he walked through a cold stream and just that cold water coming into contact with his feet got rid of his headache. One time I had a headache and remembered this so I did my ghusl using cooler than usual water- both of these incidents happened in summer months.

I don't believe using cold water is always a good idea. One time in the winter I did wudhu for fajr and the hot water hadn't kicked in yet so the tap water was still cold and when I washed my feet, they just contorted into some kind of spasm and it was awful. Some people get into a habit of using it and say cold showers help them feel more refreshed, awake and are good for general health- if you can get the hang of it and benefit from it then it's fine, but if you try it a couple of times and it doesn't work for you, then I'd say don't persist with it.
            well ive been trying to do wudhu with freezing cold water to see if it can help my anxiety and i think it might be helping but i cant be that sure as ive been extra stressed then usual recently tbh,
            however it does feel more refreshing, more revitalising and especially at fajr wakes you up more for sure....

Comment

Originally posted by Umm Uthmaan View Post
              This sounds crazy but I've always wanted to try winter bathing

But it won't be possible..
              is it really though?

i mean ive been thinking about this and really having hot water whether its for wudhu or ghusl etc is really a luxury which is a blessing but is seen as a normal thing,
              i wonder if those pious predecessors in the past had any spiritual benefits to doing wudhu, ghusl etc with cold water?

one interesting thing about one thing mentioned in one of the vids i watched about it last night was that he said because you know youre going to go into freezing cold water it makes your body sort of panic, so that panic and stress makes you forget about the other stresses that youre actually facing in your actual life, really intriguing tbh subhanAllah

Comment

I'm not sure that the Sahaba (ra) did wudhu with cold water. If you think about it, they'd have to carry their water in leather pouches for hours during their travels (or possibly store the water in clay pots whilst at home). During hot summers travelling in the desert (and even if we leave our bottle of water in the car all afternoon during a heatwave), that water is room temperature and room temperature during hot summers is not cold, if anything it's slightly lukewarm. Though keeping water in a clay pot keeps it a little cooler.

I know they didn't have hot or cold water on tap like we do, but that doesn't mean their water stayed cold. I presume if they did wudhu at a flowing river or stream, that water would be cool.
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                  I'm not sure that the Sahaba (ra) did wudhu with cold water. If you think about it, they'd have to carry their water in leather pouches for hours during their travels (or possibly store the water in clay pots whilst at home). During hot summers travelling in the desert (and even if we leave our bottle of water in the car all afternoon during a heatwave), that water is room temperature and room temperature during hot summers is not cold, if anything it's slightly lukewarm. Though keeping water in a clay pot keeps it a little cooler.

I know they didn't have hot or cold water on tap like we do, but that doesn't mean their water stayed cold. I presume if they did wudhu at a flowing river or stream, that water would be cool.
                  yea true say it really is something im interested to know, as imo theres no one more spirtiual then the salaf so obviously the more we follow their footsteps the better we will get with out spirituality, well thats the aim and goal

i mean that wim hof climbed mount everest in shorts, obviously he must be very strong mentally but it goes to show how powerful the mind is, whatever you set it to, it can achieve, the barrier for the brain imo is the brain itself, it can work for you or against you, amazing if you truly think about it

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X