Plant based diet challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C Bear View Post

Yes! Yes I do, and it's better than non vegan ones.

Unfortunately I've not found a vegan vanilla cake recipe that tastes like a traditional vanilla cake, but who needs vanilla when you have chocolate?

https://anditsallvegan.blogspot.com/...-cupcakes.html

I use metric cups, and it works fine. To get this perfect, don't do a full half cup of oil. Do about 1-2 tbsp less than that. This gets the texture just right. I also use 1/3 wholemeal flour (so 1/2 cup wholemeal, 1 cup white), and I add some ground flaxseed. These changes make it moist without being sticky, and so nice and spongey! You can also add orange or mint flavour to the mixture.

You can use this recipe to make a sandwich cake, just double up and switch the tins in the oven halfway through.

I usually make a vegan buttercream to go on top, or you can just melt plain chocolate.

You can also stir chocolate chunks into the mixture. I made this recipe for a bake sale and no one guessed they were vegan! I topped with buttercream, and chocolate hearts. I might have a pic somewhere. I also have a recipe for making your own Creme Eggs, and you can modify it to make chocolate fondants. And I have a super awesome oat shortbread recipe that you can use for biscuits or pastry.

All vegan-friendly. And all making me super hungry for junk :(
    Biscuits, cakes, cakes again,baked doughnuts, and lemon meringue. The meringue is made from aquafaba, which is the water from a tin of chickpeas. You add a bit of cream of tartar and sugar, and whip it up, and it behaves and tastes just like normal egg-white meringue. You can use it to make macarons and all sorts.
    Those look awesome. How do you make vegan buttercream? I wouldn't mind trying that since I don't like using so much butter.

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post

Those look awesome. How do you make vegan buttercream? I wouldn't mind trying that since I don't like using so much butter.
      There are proper recipes, but I just wing it. Too lazy. Just whisk up some vegan margarine (Tesco's own brand is vegan. I use the stockwell one even though it says don't, because it's lower in fat (that's why don't) but it works fine for my recipes).

Anyway, whisk up the margarine with your vanilla or other flavourings, then add some icing sugar and keep beating it. Then just add more sugar bit by bit until you get a nice consistency. You can add colourings or cocoa powder or whatever.

The proper way is with half marge, half Trex, but ain't no one got time for that.

By the way, for anyone who doesn't know, Lidl's Fin Carre plain chocolate is vegan, and like 40p for a 100g bar.
      Last edited by C Bear; 16-07-21, 10:01 PM.
      Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

Comment

These bakes would require real skill...
        Not at all. Most vegan cakes follow the same method. Dry ingredients in one bowl. Wet in another. Blend each. Then mix the dry into the wet until they're just combined, no more. Then shove in the oven. It's easier than traditional cakes in fact.

As for your previous comment, I don't remember the name but I have heard a radio interview with a Finnish doctor who said she could get rid of type two diabetes. I paid close attention and tried to look her up online. I then found a few doctors making similar claims and one of their main claims is that you can reverse the diagnosis by losing weight and her particular plan was to cut down on carbs and a couple of things like that. I took a long look at my eating habits and realised that's not feasible for me. I asked on a lyme forum about cutting carbs cos whenever i tried it I'd feel like crap. Some said it's normal to feel bad a couple of days then you feel better and get used to it- but some said if you have poorly regulated hormones then going low carb doesn't work out very well. I know I sound like a wimp but I just found it too hard and couldn't do it.
        No, Barnard's one is low fat, low GI. T Colin Campbell's one takes it further: wholefood plant based. Neither ban carbs. In fact, the diets are based on carbs, with fat kept to a minimum. Most of the faddy ones are based on paleo and keto (high fat, high protein), which may make you lose weight, but bring in their own problems.

The problem with the keto based ones is they don't reverse the actual disease. They just mask the symptoms. If you don't eat carbs, you won't get a sugar spike. Also, if I don't play a naked flame against my arm, it won't burn. Does that make me fireproof? With these keto diets, the moment you eat carbs, the problems will come right back. So there's no curing there, just hiding the symptoms. With the WFPB diets, you continue to eat carbs, but you regain insulin sensitivity. So in effect, you have reversed your diabetes, or at least reduced severity. I think he had a Ted talk on it. I'll look. But I recommend his China Study book most of all.

Here's a list, choose whichever interests you most.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search...n+Campbell+ted
        Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

Comment

Originally posted by C Bear View Post
          There are proper recipes, but I just wing it. Too lazy. Just whisk up some vegan margarine (Tesco's own brand is vegan. I use the stockwell one even though it says don't, because it's lower in fat (that's why don't) but it works fine for my recipes).

Anyway, whisk up the margarine with your vanilla or other flavourings, then add some icing sugar and keep beating it. Then just add more sugar bit by bit until you get a nice consistency. You can add colourings or cocoa powder or whatever.

The proper way is with half marge, half Trex, but ain't no one got time for that.

By the way, for anyone who doesn't know, Lidl's Fin Carre plain chocolate is vegan, and like 40p for a 100g bar.
          Jazakallahukhairan. I didn't even consider vegan butter. I don't live in the UK but i'll try to find some. This sounds good.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X