Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant based diet challenge

Salam,

Was thinking we do plant based diet challenge where we prepare and cook plant based food and try to stick to it as much as we can.

Obv we prolly will slip here and there but we can get into step by step till we make it into a habit and stick to it inshallah.

So post youre recipes and the day your on.

Wa Alaykumussalaam
    Day 0 - Egg for breakfast(bye bye veganism)
    Dinner - Rice and chicken curry (ohno wait i can't eat chicken)
    Im just messing(well i did eat that today). I may give it a shot and will come back here if i do. Interested in the recipes y'all will be making.
    And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
    [al-An�aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by Flawed View Post
      Salam,

Was thinking we do plant based diet challenge where we prepare and cook plant based food and try to stick to it as much as we can.

Obv we prolly will slip here and there but we can get into step by step till we make it into a habit and stick to it inshallah.

So post youre recipes and the day your on.
      walaykum salaam

Flawed this the thread i made about vegans and veggies on uf before

https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/fa...or-vegetarians

tbh i want to do it for a number of reasons number one the halal meat industry has some aspects which is very questionable for me personally,
      and also i have been reading about the health benefits of eat veggies, especially reducing or eliminating dairy, milk, cheese etc from your diet to reduce inflammation

honestly though i will fail tbh, i just know i will though lol

Comment

Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

walaykum salaam

tbh i want to do it for a number of reasons number one the halal meat industry has some aspects which is very questionable for me personally,
        and also i have been reading about the health benefits of eat veggies, especially reducing or eliminating dairy, milk, cheese etc from your diet to reduce inflammation

Honestly Its a win win diet. And we don't have to be 100% plant based we can mix it up. I think its a good routine to get into and maybe down the line we can go completely plant based. Who knows till we give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by Flawed

walaykum salaam

Honestly Its a win win diet. And we don't have to be 100% plant based we can mix it up. I think its a good routine to get into and maybe down the line we can go completely plant based. Who knows till we give it a try
          How about being a pescatarian?

I lurve fish, it's very good for you, it's natural and dont have to worry about it being halal lol

Comment

Oh come to think of it, what I just ate was vegan. I had tomato soup and gluten free garlic bread. Both the garlic bread and the soup are dairy free and vegan and it was nice.

walaykum salaam

If you can't manage going vegetarian full time, you could start by having one vegetarian day a week. If even that sounds hard, then you can also make that your cheat day and have things like pakoray or aloo paratha etc but once you get the hang of enjoying some good vegetarian dishes, you can increase it to two or more days over time.

Though take my advice with a pinch of salt cos that's not something I can do either lol. I tried having stuff like daal and rice for dinner and I felt so drained without my usual saag gosht- I think I needed the iron cos I'm prone to anemia. Also I have a ton of food allergies to loads of vegetarian ingredients such as most fruits, most beans/pulses, nuts and most seeds, vinegar and several types of grain and vegetables so if I had to cut out meat or dairy, I don't know what I'd have.
            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Day 1

Banana, apple, strawberries, almond milk and peanut butter smoothie.

Boilee some veg baked it a bit and threw in some hummus.

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                Oh come to think of it, what I just ate was vegan. I had tomato soup and gluten free garlic bread. Both the garlic bread and the soup are dairy free and vegan and it was nice.

If you can't manage going vegetarian full time, you could start by having one vegetarian day a week. If even that sounds hard, then you can also make that your cheat day and have things like pakoray or aloo paratha etc but once you get the hang of enjoying some good vegetarian dishes, you can increase it to two or more days over time.

Though take my advice with a pinch of salt cos that's not something I can do either lol. I tried having stuff like daal and rice for dinner and I felt so drained without my usual saag gosht- I think I needed the iron cos I'm prone to anemia. Also I have a ton of food allergies to loads of vegetarian ingredients such as most fruits, most beans/pulses, nuts and most seeds, vinegar and several types of grain and vegetables so if I had to cut out meat or dairy, I don't know what I'd have.
                my mums a vegetarian lol, obviously its easy if you cant stand meat though

Comment

By the way i dont know if y'all have heard about lab grown meat(something they're currently testing) so it will taste exactly the same as actual meat/chicken because it will be made be using/replicating the cells/tissue but without slaughtering the animal(ofc as Muslims we know animals are halaal anyway) but think its quite interesting in general, cos i wonder if vegetarians will eat it and if it becomes widespread if it could help poverty, Inshaa'Allaah. Ofcourse there will be a whole host of fiqhi discussion I'm sure for the scholars but quite intriguing. Someone i know was grossed out by it but i didnt think it was so bad? (Aslong as its deemed as halaal). Though ofcourse Allaah has given us animals to eat and those are permissible, so it may well upset the ecosystem. Hmmm.
                  And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�

Comment

I'm personally a bit skeptical about lab grown food whether it's lab grown meat or vegan alternative burgers. I think it's further away from nature than real food so have doubts about how healthy or nutritious it would be. My brother buys those vegan burgers though and seems to think they're okay.

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
                    By the way i dont know if y'all have heard about lab grown meat(something they're currently testing) so it will taste exactly the same as actual meat/chicken because it will be made be using/replicating the cells/tissue but without slaughtering the animal(ofc as Muslims we know animals are halaal anyway) but think its quite interesting in general, cos i wonder if vegetarians will eat it and if it becomes widespread if it could help poverty, Inshaa'Allaah. Ofcourse there will be a whole host of fiqhi discussion I'm sure for the scholars but quite intriguing. Someone i know was grossed out by it but i didnt think it was so bad? (Aslong as its deemed as halaal). Though ofcourse Allaah has given us animals to eat and those are permissible, so it may well upset the ecosystem. Hmmm.
                    I have seen this on tv. What they did was they extracted the DNA from a chicken feather and replicated that in order to make chicken meat in the lab without causing any harm to the chicken. Of course the end result was it tasted like chicken. They asked a vegetarian man if he would eat that and he said no because it still came from an animal (which is odd considering most vegetarians claim they avoid meat cos it's cruel to the animal yet even when there's no cruelty or slaughter he still wouldn't have it).

I don't know whether it would be halal or not. I guess it would fall under a similar category as rocky mountain oysters because they are meat that come from the animal without killing it. Someone told me that they're not halal but I honestly don't know for sure either way.

Comment

Had a berry smoothie using a rebels kitchens non diary milk...yummy and I added flaxseeds.

Made a veggie taco with black beans, salsa and guacamole.

A bit ago had gobi with brown rice.

Comment

I've tried a few dairy free milks in my time and what I found was that cashew milk and hemp milk are very good for making smoothies. I'd probably pick either rice milk or hemp milk to go with cereal and oat milk is particularly good with porridge (though I don't really eat cereals or porridge anymore due to food intolerances). I've never found a dairy free milk that goes with tea- I tried a few and didn't like any of them. Now I drink black tea.

Comment

I'm personally a bit skeptical about lab grown food whether it's lab grown meat or vegan alternative burgers. I think it's further away from nature than real food so have doubts about how healthy or nutritious it would be. My brother buys those vegan burgers though and seems to think they're okay.

I have seen this on tv. What they did was they extracted the DNA from a chicken feather and replicated that in order to make chicken meat in the lab without causing any harm to the chicken. Of course the end result was it tasted like chicken. They asked a vegetarian man if he would eat that and he said no because it still came from an animal (which is odd considering most vegetarians claim they avoid meat cos it's cruel to the animal yet even when there's no cruelty or slaughter he still wouldn't have it).

I don't know whether it would be halal or not. I guess it would fall under a similar category as rocky mountain oysters because they are meat that come from the animal without killing it. Someone told me that they're not halal but I honestly don't know for sure either way.
                          I didnt realise they were already selling lab grown veggie/vegan products(maybe they are). Because most stuff ive tasted so far, doesnt taste too great(doesnt taste like actual meat/chicken). Yeah im not sure how good it would be nutrition wise and I feel like we would only know the true effects a good few years later.

Thanks, yeah that is odd cos i would expect a vegan to say it, but vegetarians eat stuff from animals. ooh ive not heard of rocky mountain oysters(im sure some Muslims eat oysters under sea animals).

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post

I didnt realise they were already selling lab grown veggie/vegan products(maybe they are). Because most stuff ive tasted so far, doesnt taste too great(doesnt taste like actual meat/chicken). Yeah im not sure how good it would be nutrition wise and I feel like we would only know the true effects a good few years later.

Thanks, yeah that is odd cos i would expect a vegan to say it, but vegetarians eat stuff from animals. ooh ive not heard of rocky mountain oysters(im sure some Muslims eat oysters under sea animals).
                            Rocky mountain oysters don't come from the sea. It is a nickname given to bull's balls/kapooray- which are cut off from the bull to sterilise it whilst it's still alive so that means it doesn't come from halal slaughter because this particular meat didn't involve any slaughter.

Comment

Rocky mountain oysters don't come from the sea. It is a nickname given to bull's balls/kapooray- which are cut off from the bull to sterilise it whilst it's still alive so that means it doesn't come from halal slaughter because this particular meat didn't involve any slaughter.
                              Oh that makes so much more sense now! Because I was thinking it wouldn't be a sea creature, since a lot eat them (except hanafis/some hanafis). Wow never thought about something like that, thinking about eating it would make me feel so gross though, but I know I'm a sensitive eater and a lot of other people (if halal) wouldn't be weirded out by it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X