Steak doneness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steak doneness

How do you all prefer you steak? And why?

I don’t think I’ve ever had a proper steak believe it or not, but I’ve heard medium rare is the best level.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
      I don’t think I’ve ever had a proper steak believe it or not, but I’ve heard medium rare is the best level.
      Honestly ngl, I flipping don't know know myself which one is good. But I'm after the one that is tender like and not chewy. Not sure which one that is, also I heard well done is the healthiest cos there's no pink in it but it think that's gonna be chewy...yuck..
      Last edited by Flawed; 20-06-21, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Medium rare!!!! Anyone who asks for well done is devoid of all feeling or wants a jaw workout because their gonna be chewing that thing for an hour!

I want it to be juicy and easy to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post
          Medium rare!!!! Anyone who asks for well done is devoid of all feeling or wants a jaw workout because their gonna be chewing that thing for an hour!

Thanks sis! Lool. I just can't have it chewy.

Medium rare has two votes so far!
          Last edited by Flawed; 20-06-21, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Yay steak talk :) Lol i made a steak thread recently because i want to learn how to make it at home and not overcook it(or undercook it). With steak you dont want it overdone otherwise its tough(infact i dont know why its even an option lol because ppl get that and then complain). Whats the point, and some ppl are like 'eurgh rare' but i think they confuse the word rare for raw. And think the pink is blood when its not.

On the other end of the spectrum(prior to rare) some restaurants have 'blue' haha i really dont know exactly what that is and i'd be scared to venture in that extreme direction either.

I havent been to that many steak restaurants before, a couple. And of those, one I really liked and have been to multiple times(not too far from where we both live, city wise). I have a few on my list that I wanted to try, when i can go out again Inshaa'Allaah.

It depends what restaurant you go to firstly, because I just have to say this.. a lot of steak places here that are desi run tend to be inconsistent in 'steak doneness'. The cut matters too, some can take a higher level of doneness and still be moist whereas others can't(i remember asking the waitress the first time cos i was clueless lol).

I usually get it medium. I wouldnt get it higher than that as it would probably end up chewy and tough(some cuts especially), i havent got rare before, cant remember if i have got it medium rare before but that seems good too. I usually get sirloin which I feel like is a safer cut especially if new to the steak world.

Also one thing i've always found interesting is how cutting across the grain also means its moister and soft, never fully understood how cutting something(after cooking)would impact that.

Steak, peppercorn sauce, mash/chips, veg. Yum Alhamdulillaah.
            And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
            [al-An�aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post

I don't really understand when people say well done is chewy, because when the meat is pink it becomes like chewing gum and hard to swallow.

Honestly I've never really liked steak, I know people will say "oh you just never had good steak". NO. I've ate steak in many places, and even made it myself with differing doneness, its nothing special. I think its just because its a western thing how they lack spices in their cooking so they think that eating meat a little raw adds "flavour" .

Most other cultures don't give a care about doneness, they just cook the meat until its done, and they add spices, make them into curries, make glazes, sauces. Thats why east Asian, South Asian, South American, African, Caribbean, even Middle eastern food takes over the food industry in western societies, because western "food" is just a big bloody slab of meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
                Yay steak talk :) Lol i made a steak thread recently because i want to learn how to make it at home and not overcook it(or undercook it). With steak you dont want it overdone otherwise its tough(infact i dont know why its even an option lol because ppl get that and then complain). Whats the point, and some ppl are like 'eurgh rare' but i think they confuse the word rare for raw. And think the pink is blood when its not.

On the other end of the spectrum(prior to rare) some restaurants have 'blue' haha i really dont know exactly what that is and i'd be scared to venture in that extreme direction either.

I havent been to that many steak restaurants before, a couple. And of those, one I really liked and have been to multiple times(not too far from where we both live, city wise). I have a few on my list that I wanted to try, when i can go out again Inshaa'Allaah.

It depends what restaurant you go to firstly, because I just have to say this.. a lot of steak places here that are desi run tend to be inconsistent in 'steak doneness'. The cut matters too, some can take a higher level of doneness and still be moist whereas others can't(i remember asking the waitress the first time cos i was clueless lol).

I usually get it medium. I wouldnt get it higher than that as it would probably end up chewy and tough(some cuts especially), i havent got rare before, cant remember if i have got it medium rare before but that seems good too. I usually get sirloin which I feel like is a safer cut especially if new to the steak world.

Also one thing i've always found interesting is how cutting across the grain also means its moister and soft, never fully understood how cutting something(after cooking)would impact that.

Steak, peppercorn sauce, mash/chips, veg. Yum Alhamdulillaah.
                I feel Hungry now cos of you. Have you been to toros? Been there and I thought it was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Flawed View Post

I feel Hungry now cos of you. Have you been to toros? Been there and I thought it was nice.
                  Ditto lol feel hungry due to your thread. Yeah i have, and I really like it Alhamdulillaah, what did you get from there? Theres something called 'Torros special' which is sirloin steak and thats the one I usually get. I want to try Etci Mehmet and Eat Meat at some point Inshaa'Allaah(both in Manchester and supposed to be good).
                  And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
                  [al-An�aam 6:59]

Comment

I like it well done. I don't want to take any chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post

Ditto lol feel hungry due to your thread. Yeah i have, and I really like it Alhamdulillaah, what did you get from there? Theres something called 'Torros special' which is sirloin steak and thats the one I usually get. I want to try Etci Mehmet and Eat Meat at some point Inshaa'Allaah(both in Manchester and supposed to be good).
                      I've got their chicken fillet steak and lamb steak both with rice or chips and mushroom sauce. But were delicious.

Ooo never been there would like to go though lool.

Comment

Steak
                        only had it once on my entire life, and that too was a miracle that I had the chance to try

I think it was cooked well but I want to try it in all its forms as I am am adventurous individual

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
                          Don't worry don't worry
                          you ain't the only one

My parents never uttered the word steak at home and when we used to watch it on it was an undesirable

Deep down I knew one day when I grow up I'd try a slab of meat RAW.

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

Comment

Originally posted by Flawed View Post

Thanks sis! Lool. I just can't have it chewy.

Medium rare has two votes so far!
                            I don't like chewy
                            IT would take all day to chew, too tired for that

Comment

i never ate a steak but i ate other things similar to it and i eat them very well done.You can eat it medium rare or raw or other thing like that but if it is fresh.The meat you buy even if it is halal who knows how many times has been frozen and unfrozen.Plus you are eating the blood of the animal and blood is not halal so idk if it is even halal to eat medium rare 🤔

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X