Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimicking haram flavour halal

Hi have searched online couldn't find the answer

I want to know if mimicking haram flavours halal we know its suitable for vegetarians.

For example I have seen bacon flavour crisps it says suitable for vegetarians your tasting bacon in a way that is vegeterains. flavour might not be 100% exact as bacon but near to it.

I don't know the answer. On the one hand, it is not our place to make the halal haram, so if vegetarian ingredients are used to taste like bacon, then it's still made with halal ingredients, but on the other hand, we're also warned about imitation of the disbelievers. When I lived up north, I couldn't get hold of halal meat so I used to buy noodles from the supermarket which were chicken flavour but suitable for vegetarians. If anything, I'd tell people that's unhealthy because it's artificial additives they use to make the flavouring, but not yet encountered any evidence for it being haram.

Your post reminds me of an article in a newspaper about a muslimah convert sister who bought a "carbonara sauce" from the supermarket which was listed as suitable for vegetarians but it tasted so much of bacon flavour, that she believed it was haram and contained real bacon and she lodged a complaint, only for her claim to be investigated and she was told they do not put bacon in there, they put in bacon flavouring but it must've tasted very convincing that she couldn't tell the difference.

I'd like to think that if we avoid the haram such as pork then eventually we develop other tastes anyway so we don't (or at least shouldn't) develop a taste or craving for such things in the first place- though we can still have halal sausages. Then again if someone is a new convert and missing some of those flavours and finds there is something that tastes similar but made with halal ingredients- I wouldn't say that's haram but that's just my opinion as a lay Muslim. I think if there isn't a fatwa on it then let people make up their own minds and respect their decision either way as they are not consuming haram at the end of the day.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Flavours are not haram.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X