X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ya'sin
    replied
    Originally posted by neelu View Post

Sorry to hear it tasted so disappointing. Some products sound great in theory but don't work when tried in practice. I watched a documentary about "ice cream wars" and the competitiveness between brands trying to outdo each other. First it was only Walls and Lyons Maid, then Walls won that battle and had a monopoly, until a new player entered the game: Mars, with their Mars ice cream and a new trend started of chocolate brand ice creams.

One thing ice cream companies struggled with and spent probably millions of dollars in developing was trying to translate the flavour of the chocolate (in this case the mars bar, but same is true of snickers and other ice cream chocolate brands) because freezing a product can reduce the intensity of the flavour, some ingredients can become rock hard when frozen so people can't chew it or enjoy it properly so the recipes had to be amended and adjusted to retain the flavour but not cause such problems. It sounded like a meticulous process. I am not convinced that they were as meticulous when they broadened into other products such as hot chocolates and muffins etc. If it seems to have little to no trace of the brand you bought then it's a bit of a waste.

It would probably make more sense to experiment with baking such things at home if you know someone who is good at baking. If I weren't prediabetic and avoiding gluten, that's the sort of thing I'd do.
    It's funny though because I actually prefer the mars and snickers ice cream more than the actual chocolate bars, the have the same distinct flavour but I think creaminess is the reason why I prefer them in ice cream form
    some of the chocolate brand items turned into other sweet goods work but then I think some of these companies do it for the sake of making a new item without actually putting effort in

I have tried the Tonys chocolate Ben and jerry, really enjoyed that Alhamdulillah

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
    I've lost my energy

At the time of eating that muffin I thought I'm gonna type a whole DAIM criticism on ere

Muffin looks good, a 10/10 in that department but huge disappointment for the rest

Did not even have a hint of toblerone (tob), it had little bits of nut pieces which is not a good reflection of tob
    Tob is nougat not stupid nuts, ruined the texture, didn't compliment it

I couldn't video because i'm just a bit of a nut myself and also cause of privacy reasons

And the latte and hot chocolate flavoured toblerone, again disappointment, why did they even bovva I honestly couldn't tell ya

2/10

Muffin 3/10

Unless the barista was having a bad day making it

Expensive

Sorry to hear it tasted so disappointing. Some products sound great in theory but don't work when tried in practice. I watched a documentary about "ice cream wars" and the competitiveness between brands trying to outdo each other. First it was only Walls and Lyons Maid, then Walls won that battle and had a monopoly, until a new player entered the game: Mars, with their Mars ice cream and a new trend started of chocolate brand ice creams.

One thing ice cream companies struggled with and spent probably millions of dollars in developing was trying to translate the flavour of the chocolate (in this case the mars bar, but same is true of snickers and other ice cream chocolate brands) because freezing a product can reduce the intensity of the flavour, some ingredients can become rock hard when frozen so people can't chew it or enjoy it properly so the recipes had to be amended and adjusted to retain the flavour but not cause such problems. It sounded like a meticulous process. I am not convinced that they were as meticulous when they broadened into other products such as hot chocolates and muffins etc. If it seems to have little to no trace of the brand you bought then it's a bit of a waste.

It would probably make more sense to experiment with baking such things at home if you know someone who is good at baking. If I weren't prediabetic and avoiding gluten, that's the sort of thing I'd do.

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    I understand to has almonds but it is not FULL ON nuts like fruit nut chocolate

The texture is more like brittleish and chewy

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    It's very rare that I can get to a supermarket, maybe once a year or so- so I often don't know what varieties are out there unless I check their websites and in the past couple of years, I've been reminding myself that I'm prediabetic and need to be careful so that's why I haven't looked into a lot of these products. On top of that is the scandal around slave/child labour used in chocolate production that put me off cadburys and most of the mainstream brands (which aren't fair trade). If it weren't for that, I'd probably look more closely into this sort of thing. I'd never say never- maybe one day browsing through a store I'll spontaneously purchase something that looks good- but most of the time other factors would prevent me from buying such things.

Oh also, some gluten free products contain corn or other ingredients that also don't suit me, so they're still off limits even though they're gluten free. Everything in my life is complicated like that. I'm an impossible person to buy gifts for cos I'm allergic to most things.
    It is horrid and requires alot of strength to cope with it
    there are people that really underestimate how much will power this requires
    Giving up on food that is an everyday item for others is so difficult

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    I've lost my energy

At the time of eating that muffin I thought I'm gonna type a whole DAIM criticism on ere

Muffin looks good, a 10/10 in that department but huge disappointment for the rest

Did not even have a hint of toblerone (tob), it had little bits of nut pieces which is not a good reflection of tob
    Tob is nougat not stupid nuts, ruined the texture, didn't compliment it

I couldn't video because i'm just a bit of a nut myself and also cause of privacy reasons

And the latte and hot chocolate flavoured toblerone, again disappointment, why did they even bovva I honestly couldn't tell ya

2/10

Muffin 3/10

Unless the barista was having a bad day making it

Expensive

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    It's very rare that I can get to a supermarket, maybe once a year or so- so I often don't know what varieties are out there unless I check their websites and in the past couple of years, I've been reminding myself that I'm prediabetic and need to be careful so that's why I haven't looked into a lot of these products. On top of that is the scandal around slave/child labour used in chocolate production that put me off cadburys and most of the mainstream brands (which aren't fair trade). If it weren't for that, I'd probably look more closely into this sort of thing. I'd never say never- maybe one day browsing through a store I'll spontaneously purchase something that looks good- but most of the time other factors would prevent me from buying such things.

Oh also, some gluten free products contain corn or other ingredients that also don't suit me, so they're still off limits even though they're gluten free. Everything in my life is complicated like that. I'm an impossible person to buy gifts for cos I'm allergic to most things.

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    Now that chocolate brands are branching out into other products like galaxy cookies (and now toblerone muffins as you've mentioned), I kinda kick myself as to why I didn't think of baking such things at home years ago before I gave up gluten. A couple of times I did have the sense to bake chocolate birthday cakes and decorate the top with smarties or mini m&ms (back in the days when people didn't take photos of their food so sadly no pics) but other than that, I didn't think that far about using chocolates as ingredients in various baked goods.

In recent years I've seen loads of really tempting looking things like cakes decorated with snickers or ferrero rocher or cakes that are surrounded all round the sides with cadburys fingers- it's such a simple idea but makes an ordinary cake look quite professional and impressive. If I were still eating gluten, I'd love to try some ideas like that. I think munchies would be excellent as decorations on a cake, especially on top of cupcakes- they're the right size and texture, yum!

Anyway if you try the muffin, let me know what it's like as I'm still curious.
    As you know I can be a harsh critic at times
    so far, the Terry muffin has been good from Costa because it was moist, usually their muffins are dry and more like a loaf in my opinion

I prefer that softness to a muffin

In sha Allah I will let you know, I'm going to try to film it if I can

Why don't you try a mini cake with gluten free flour maybe? I know it's not the same and with your diet and health it's much harder

In some Asda stores they have the gluten free chocolate for galaxy, bounty, topic, and there is a couple more

Alhamdulillah I'm looking forward to to toblerone muffin, something that will make up for the last week of being a miserable moo

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    Now that chocolate brands are branching out into other products like galaxy cookies (and now toblerone muffins as you've mentioned), I kinda kick myself as to why I didn't think of baking such things at home years ago before I gave up gluten. A couple of times I did have the sense to bake chocolate birthday cakes and decorate the top with smarties or mini m&ms (back in the days when people didn't take photos of their food so sadly no pics) but other than that, I didn't think that far about using chocolates as ingredients in various baked goods.

In recent years I've seen loads of really tempting looking things like cakes decorated with snickers or ferrero rocher or cakes that are surrounded all round the sides with cadburys fingers- it's such a simple idea but makes an ordinary cake look quite professional and impressive. If I were still eating gluten, I'd love to try some ideas like that. I think munchies would be excellent as decorations on a cake, especially on top of cupcakes- they're the right size and texture, yum!

Anyway if you try the muffin, let me know what it's like as I'm still curious.

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    Costa toblerone muffin is now OUT

They also have latte and hot chocolate version
    I haven't tried any of these

Leave a comment:

• notEVOLVED
    replied
    Venom likes chocolate

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    I know you said you tried chocolate baklava once. Perhaps that's also an example of a fusion dish. The sound of it is not tempting to me though. I think some things are at their best when the recipe isn't messed with to keep it authentic cos I feel you can't improve on perfection and baklava is one of those things that's amazing as it is and changing it would diminish it. I say that as someone who usually feels chocolate improves a dessert but this is a rare exception in which it doesn't.
    Yep, I enjoyed including the ones from marks and spencers
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    I know you said you tried chocolate baklava once. Perhaps that's also an example of a fusion dish. The sound of it is not tempting to me though. I think some things are at their best when the recipe isn't messed with to keep it authentic cos I feel you can't improve on perfection and baklava is one of those things that's amazing as it is and changing it would diminish it. I say that as someone who usually feels chocolate improves a dessert but this is a rare exception in which it doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
    I have brought the Terry's chocolate snowballs from Tesco
    it is a very small packet
    ​​​​​
    These are currently one of my favorites now that I would like to buy again, they don't have much in the packet
    ​​​​​​

​​​

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    Yeah I'm usually more inclined to make savoury dishes myself, especially since becoming prediabetic, I'm trying to eat much less of the desserts and sweet dishes- but that doesn't stop me from thinking about it.

When I gave up gluten, I really missed having doughnuts (I liked the M&S iced doughnut rings), so I got dad to try and make some gluten free baked doughnut recipes but they were quite disappointing. They're basically like using a gluten free cake batter and putting it in a mould to bake into a doughnut shape. Even as a 'cake' it's not that good cos they required using ground nuts instead of wheat flour and as you know, nuts are horrible for my skin. It really wasn't worth it.

Some recipe experiments turn out well and some not so good. One time dad made gluten free gulab jamun for Eid and that turned out well even though it didn't look pretty, it had that really authentic taste to it.

Leave a comment:

• Ya'sin
    replied
    I've not heard anything to suggest air fryers are bad for health, but I used to have one and didn't like it. I like the taste of deep fried food too much.

I don't think I'd want a chocolate mithai- the combination doesn't sound good to me, but I do think there must be ways of incorporating a European style pastry or biscuit with a desi style mithai.

Last time I went to Paris, I had an almond croissant and it was AMAZING, but the really interesting thing was the inside filling tasted a lot like halwa- so I'm thinking there might be a way of incorporating certain types of halwa or desi mithai into western style pastries as a fusion idea. It would require some experimenting but I think if done right, it can work.

For example, halwa on its own is intensely too sweet, but what if you have it with a crumble topping that's very low in sugar to balance it out? Also I think of stuff like pumpkin pie, that is like a halwa in pastry so I wonder if a desi halwa can get away with being served like that?

I honestly don't know how to make any desi halwa, not even sooji (which is meant to be the easiest) so I'd have to buy the mithai but I do know how to bake pastries and can try fusing some ideas together and seeing how it turns out one day if on a rare occasion I'm well enough to make pastry.
    That sounds good
    I never think about making desserts or ideas for it

I'd be more invested in savoury dishes and snacks, reason being, if I actually want dessert, it can be brought from the supermarket

Whereas savoury dishes are harder to buy, especially things like halal pasties etc.

Almond croissant is like peshwari naan which has this thick coconut paste within it, so I think that could be an example of a fusion food.

I think if you can definitely come up with more fusion dessert ideas.

Gajor halwa is easy to make

Or you can make honeycomb with sagor pudding as an example

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X