Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chocolate addicts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

    I miss the classic vanilla flavour

    I've noticed alot of things have changed like it's been watered down and not original anymore, just fake
    The biggest taste change I've noticed (and my family have noticed) is apples. When I was little, Golden Delicious apples had a very sweet flavour and I loved them. In recent years though they've lost most of their sweetness and just don't taste the same. My mum and brother believe the apples they had in Pakistan (some 20 years ago) still have great flavour and sweetness but here it's not as good. I'm not as big a fan of apples in Pakistan though. I suspect a lot of it is to do with how they're grown, using pesticides etc and also then they're kept in cold storage for the supermarket so they don't have that freshness you get from something freshly picked and many apples are coated in wax to make them look shiny but it spoils the taste.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

    Comment


    • Originally posted by neelu View Post

      The biggest taste change I've noticed (and my family have noticed) is apples. When I was little, Golden Delicious apples had a very sweet flavour and I loved them. In recent years though they've lost most of their sweetness and just don't taste the same. My mum and brother believe the apples they had in Pakistan (some 20 years ago) still have great flavour and sweetness but here it's not as good. I'm not as big a fan of apples in Pakistan though. I suspect a lot of it is to do with how they're grown, using pesticides etc and also then they're kept in cold storage for the supermarket so they don't have that freshness you get from something freshly picked and many apples are coated in wax to make them look shiny but it spoils the taste.
      My parents always talk about how the taste of food has changed over the years and that eating certain fruits and veg wouldn't harm you in the past because it was pure, fresh and well grown (nutrient rich soil) but now you have to watch how much of anything you eat, including fruit and vegetables
      It's the same with livestock, food must have tasted amazing decades ago.

      Some dishes didn't require the adding of extra flavours, that's what I've heard from my parents.

      My mum says the smell of spices have disappeared as though you have to add so much of it for it to release the aroma.



      'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

      So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

        My parents always talk about how the taste of food has changed over the years and that eating certain fruits and veg wouldn't harm you in the past because it was pure, fresh and well grown (nutrient rich soil) but now you have to watch how much of anything you eat, including fruit and vegetables
        It's the same with livestock, food must have tasted amazing decades ago.

        Some dishes didn't require the adding of extra flavours, that's what I've heard from my parents.

        My mum says the smell of spices have disappeared as though you have to add so much of it for it to release the aroma.


        A lot depends on how things are produced. I switched to eating organic meat and eggs and it's definitely different. I can give a few examples of how it tastes different. When you make pancakes with an ordinary cheap egg, it has no flavour so you have to add things like sugar or nutella to the pancake to make it taste good whereas if you make pancakes with an organic egg, then the pancake tastes good on its own even without adding things to it. I think the poor quality of food drives young people towards junk because the healthier fruit and veg aren't as flavourful as they used to be due to the chemicals in the soil and the pesticides etc. As for organic meat, a chicken thigh produced in the 1970s has something like 100-150 less calories than a chicken thigh today- that is simply due to factory farming and mass production methods (possibly due to feeding animals soya instead of seeds and natural feed as well) and chicken also contains more transfat (the stuff that increases bad cholesterol and blocks the arteries causing heart attacks) than it used to back then for the same reason.

        Organic chicken tastes different for example nowadays people say if you make soup or really want to get the full meaty flavour, you add the bones, or use meat on the bone but I used to use organic breast meat to make chicken noodles because the breast meat had such a strong flavour that it infused enough flavour into the dish that I didn't need the bones whereas if I were using ordinary non organic meat, it wouldn't have had enough strong flavour for the whole dish and would've needed added spices and stuff to give it flavour.

        Suggest to your parents that they should try a local veg box scheme. Local boxes tend to be freshly picked vegetables whereas the supermarket sells stuff left in cold storage for months that was imported from another country and the cold storage process can reduce the flavour as well. Riverford organic (a well known box scheme) used to sell their boxes in Tesco as well but they didn't sell well because they were kept in cold storage and lost their flavour whereas customers who order direct from them get freshly picked veg sometimes picked the same morning so their business is running very successfully because they have a reputation for freshness and good flavour. If your parents are willing to spend a few extra pennies on good quality, then they should be able to taste the difference inshaAllah and will have to switch back to eating according to the seasons. If they're not willing to pay a little extra for organic then ask them to put a veg patch in the garden/allotment or a windowbox and that should also taste better than what's available in the shops.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

        Comment


        • Originally posted by neelu View Post

          A lot depends on how things are produced. I switched to eating organic meat and eggs and it's definitely different. I can give a few examples of how it tastes different. When you make pancakes with an ordinary cheap egg, it has no flavour so you have to add things like sugar or nutella to the pancake to make it taste good whereas if you make pancakes with an organic egg, then the pancake tastes good on its own even without adding things to it. I think the poor quality of food drives young people towards junk because the healthier fruit and veg aren't as flavourful as they used to be due to the chemicals in the soil and the pesticides etc. As for organic meat, a chicken thigh produced in the 1970s has something like 100-150 less calories than a chicken thigh today- that is simply due to factory farming and mass production methods (possibly due to feeding animals soya instead of seeds and natural feed as well) and chicken also contains more transfat (the stuff that increases bad cholesterol and blocks the arteries causing heart attacks) than it used to back then for the same reason.

          Organic chicken tastes different for example nowadays people say if you make soup or really want to get the full meaty flavour, you add the bones, or use meat on the bone but I used to use organic breast meat to make chicken noodles because the breast meat had such a strong flavour that it infused enough flavour into the dish that I didn't need the bones whereas if I were using ordinary non organic meat, it wouldn't have had enough strong flavour for the whole dish and would've needed added spices and stuff to give it flavour.

          Suggest to your parents that they should try a local veg box scheme. Local boxes tend to be freshly picked vegetables whereas the supermarket sells stuff left in cold storage for months that was imported from another country and the cold storage process can reduce the flavour as well. Riverford organic (a well known box scheme) used to sell their boxes in Tesco as well but they didn't sell well because they were kept in cold storage and lost their flavour whereas customers who order direct from them get freshly picked veg sometimes picked the same morning so their business is running very successfully because they have a reputation for freshness and good flavour. If your parents are willing to spend a few extra pennies on good quality, then they should be able to taste the difference inshaAllah and will have to switch back to eating according to the seasons. If they're not willing to pay a little extra for organic then ask them to put a veg patch in the garden/allotment or a windowbox and that should also taste better than what's available in the shops.
          That's true

          Agriculture has changed over the years and it's more to do with the amount of food being produced than the quality, so they speed up the process and this has had some negative impacts

          I have seen leaflets of local veg box and mentioned it to my mum in the past but she wasn't interested
          something I'd consider if I was managing the groceries, not so much to do with taste but nutrients

          Once in a while we have organic food but it's not something that is regular at the moment


          'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

          So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

          Comment


          • Lily o brien's chocolate doesn't impress me, thought I'd get a different box today, give it another chance, was a disappointment yet again

            These boxed chocolate aren't that great are they
            I went for the macchiato flavour first and urgh, yes, it was pretty bad, oxymoron but there's no other way to describe it

            The only coffee chocolate I have tried so far and one that I liked was from Cadbury roses but they've discontinued that

            if they started selling that one individually, I'd get it







            'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

            So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

            Comment


            • So far, the best supermarket expensive chocolate is ferrero
              well done fererro my darling, I'm not bored of you yet

              I dumped lindor a while back (excluding the exotic flavours I haven't tried yet)


              'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

              So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

              Comment


              • Psst my ussername is
                I think that's your name, I don't know

                I have good news ALHAMDULLILAH
                I got that butter biscuit chocolate fing like from ASDA

                I have not tried it yet
                Im not a huge fan of biscuits but as you all SHOULD know by now, I like to try different food

                I've had the other brand, what's it called
                I got their white covered choc one

                I'll get back to you, won't be opening those yet as Ive had my allowance of chocolate today, that lily
                ​​​​​​
                'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

                So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                  So far, the best supermarket expensive chocolate is ferrero
                  well done fererro my darling, I'm not bored of you yet

                  I dumped lindor a while back (excluding the exotic flavours I haven't tried yet)

                  I ws gonna like your post for saying that about Ferrero till i read what you wrote about lindor

                  I like lindor bars but I don't like the box as much.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Flawed View Post

                    I ws gonna like your post for saying that about Ferrero till i read what you wrote about lindor

                    I like lindor bars but I don't like the box as much.
                    Bin der Done that (about the lindor bar)

                    Alhamdullilah tried all of them

                    You can marry lindor, I ain't interested
                    Lmso

                    I really am a chocolate snob, I don't believe it



                    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

                    So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

                    Comment


                    • my fave supermarket chocs are ferero rochers too, i love nuts in chocolate in general.
                      And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
                      [al-An�aam 6:59]

                      Comment


                      • just been reading through the last few pages, just to add my thoughts(sorry its not contributing much valuable), im not a big kulfi fan, we started getting organic eggs in lockdown and stuck to it(not had other organic stuff though) but seen a meat place online that loks good issue is its quite expensive.. The jelly ice cream thing looks good.
                        And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
                        [al-An�aam 6:59]

                        Comment


                        • Cos its been so hot we've been having a lot of ice cream mainly ben and jerrys i got haagen dazs too. I really liked this flavour that had rainbow cookie dough in and sprinkles/swirls.. i wasnt expecting to be a big fan(sis got it) and i was taken by surprise lol
                          And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
                          [al-An�aam 6:59]

                          Comment


                          • ive always wanted to try a really nice ice cream cake but they arent so big over here. i remember my cousins in US showing me the sort of range for that over there and it was pretty incredible
                            And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
                            [al-An�aam 6:59]

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
                              ive always wanted to try a really nice ice cream cake but they arent so big over here. i remember my cousins in US showing me the sort of range for that over there and it was pretty incredible
                              I want to try smores
                              I can make it at home but it's not the same

                              On tv it looks so damn good LOL

                              I love marshmallow
                              I love everything but I also hate many things


                              'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

                              So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

                              Comment


                              • Click image for larger version  Name:	image_86069.jpg Views:	5 Size:	284.2 KB ID:	12780517


                                Look where i went...

                                And what did i buy nothing except a cheescake bar ...everything else was kinda expensive. :/


                                Took that pic for you
                                Ya'sin
                                Last edited by Flawed; 18-06-21, 05:11 PM.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X