X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layla_
    replied
    Originally posted by Flawed View Post

We got a chef in the house. Looks delicious!!
    Lol haha at chef, I wish!

Leave a comment:

• Flawed
    replied
    Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
    Today I had the most simplest of Iftars but it was good. Mini pizzas & garlic bread (I didn’t even ‘make’ the pizzas, my daughter did - shot two birds with one stone; kids get to do an activity & I get my Iftar lol) I think I over cooked my pizzas because they looked a bit weird but they tasted good Click image for larger version

Name:	875FBF73-49F2-4CB6-B91A-550AFBC9ABDA.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	12770703
    We got a chef in the house. Looks delicious!!

Leave a comment:

• Layla_
    replied
    Today I had the most simplest of Iftars but it was good. Mini pizzas & garlic bread (I didn’t even ‘make’ the pizzas, my daughter did - shot two birds with one stone; kids get to do an activity & I get my Iftar lol) I think I over cooked my pizzas because they looked a bit weird but they tasted good Click image for larger version

Name:	875FBF73-49F2-4CB6-B91A-550AFBC9ABDA.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	12770703

Leave a comment:

• Layla_
    replied
    Originally posted by neelu View Post

What is in those pudding pots? Are they trifles? It all looks lovely.

I was going to say, a good healthy iftar idea would be to use the grill, something like grilled chicken (eg sis taouk, souvlaki or tandoori style) served with naan or wraps and a refreshing salad and yogurt. It's tasty, healthy, filling, doesn't take too long to make and doesn't require any deep frying.
    Jazakallah khayr & yes it’s trifle.

I definitely agree, and the best thing is that you can marinate it all the night before & then just grill it before Iftar. So quick & easy and nice.

Today I just had a shepherds pie with a big salad & fruit salad. I’ve got enough left over for tomorrow so no cooking! Yay

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	902372F7-BCA2-4AED-BA5E-F73E9C25FD2E.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	12770539My suhoor is the same every single year: porridge with bananas/chopped up dates drizzle of honey and some extra stuff added on (black seed/flax seed/chia seeds)

if I don’t have that, then I have 7 dates (yes I count them) a glass of milk, banana & some watermelon

I brought some porridge this year which I don’t like, it taste horrible so I’ve only had it twice

for Iftar this year, I’ve just been doing grilled food, lots of fruit and some dessert for after
    What is in those pudding pots? Are they trifles? It all looks lovely.

I was going to say, a good healthy iftar idea would be to use the grill, something like grilled chicken (eg sis taouk, souvlaki or tandoori style) served with naan or wraps and a refreshing salad and yogurt. It's tasty, healthy, filling, doesn't take too long to make and doesn't require any deep frying.

Leave a comment:

• Layla_
    replied
    Originally posted by Morose View Post

I must say your food is always presented so well, if nothing else. Although I am sure it tastes just as good as it looks!

10/10 for presentation, that’s for sure.
    Thanks! Thought I’d be a bit extra this year with the candles, because why not!

Leave a comment:

• Morose
    replied

ID:	12770539My suhoor is the same every single year: porridge with bananas/chopped up dates drizzle of honey and some extra stuff added on (black seed/flax seed/chia seeds)

if I don’t have that, then I have 7 dates (yes I count them) a glass of milk, banana & some watermelon

I brought some porridge this year which I don’t like, it taste horrible so I’ve only had it twice

for Iftar this year, I’ve just been doing grilled food, lots of fruit and some dessert for after
    I must say your food is always presented so well, if nothing else. Although I am sure it tastes just as good as it looks!

10/10 for presentation, that’s for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Morose
    replied
    Originally posted by neelu View Post
    I highly recommend that you start your iftar with water and/or dates, partly because it's sunnah, partly because it's easier on the stomach (than a full meal or heavy food) and partly because in my experience, if I start an iftar with heavy foods like pakoras, I feel sluggish and it becomes twice as difficult (sometimes impossible) to get up to do wudhu and maghrib.

Back when I was a school girl, I'd feel so hungry and eager to fill my stomach that I'd want to eat my fill as soon as it was iftar, then when I started praying I noticed how difficult it became to do maghrib and put that down to just being tired from fasting, but actually it's because starting the iftar with something light and fresh makes it easy to get up and still do things... if you still want a full meal or heavier food you can always have that after maghrib anyway.

Also as a child, it was fun enjoying the indulgent parathas at sehri and pakoras at iftar, but as I grew up, didi told me off and said ramadan it's better to eat simply in Ramadan- looking back I can see the wisdom in her advice. Butchers report making extra sales of meat during Ramadan and it just doesn't seem appropriate. It's embarrassing to see people put on weight in Ramadan- it's like they've really missed the point. On top of that, feasting and indulgent meals become a burden for the cook (usually a busy mother who'd rather spend her ramadan on more important things like reading quran and extra ibadat) who is usually also fasting so it makes more sense to simplify the day to day meals and just reserve more indulgent treats for special occasions and/or Eid. Bear in mind a lot of our community have high rates of type two diabetes and other health problems that are worsened by the more typical ramadan routine diet of parathas and pakoras. Parathas were a great breakfast for farmers who worked the fields all day (which is why it was the right and appropriate food for our grandparents generation)- not for those of us who sit down all day in offices, schools, taxis etc.

If you're interested in ideas for healthy, tasty and filling sehri and iftar meals, let me know inshaAllah.
    I feel the same way. I hate having heavy meals for iftar and for the past several years now I always break my fast with water and a banana (or some other fruit) and have a proper meal much later (like an hour or so after).

Although dates would be ideal, unfortunately I don’t like dates.

Leave a comment:

• InTheBegining
    replied
    Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

This is one of the first ramadhan where I haven't had watermelon 😭😭😭
    Same, I had it yesterday and it felt like (insert meme)

Leave a comment:

• Layla_
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cuezed
    replied
    I have 3 dates and half glass of water before praying maghrib salah. Then I have a chapati and 2 or 3 spring rolls/samosa. Followed by fruit and milkshake

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    I highly recommend that you start your iftar with water and/or dates, partly because it's sunnah, partly because it's easier on the stomach (than a full meal or heavy food) and partly because in my experience, if I start an iftar with heavy foods like pakoras, I feel sluggish and it becomes twice as difficult (sometimes impossible) to get up to do wudhu and maghrib.

Back when I was a school girl, I'd feel so hungry and eager to fill my stomach that I'd want to eat my fill as soon as it was iftar, then when I started praying I noticed how difficult it became to do maghrib and put that down to just being tired from fasting, but actually it's because starting the iftar with something light and fresh makes it easy to get up and still do things... if you still want a full meal or heavier food you can always have that after maghrib anyway.

Also as a child, it was fun enjoying the indulgent parathas at sehri and pakoras at iftar, but as I grew up, didi told me off and said ramadan it's better to eat simply in Ramadan- looking back I can see the wisdom in her advice. Butchers report making extra sales of meat during Ramadan and it just doesn't seem appropriate. It's embarrassing to see people put on weight in Ramadan- it's like they've really missed the point. On top of that, feasting and indulgent meals become a burden for the cook (usually a busy mother who'd rather spend her ramadan on more important things like reading quran and extra ibadat) who is usually also fasting so it makes more sense to simplify the day to day meals and just reserve more indulgent treats for special occasions and/or Eid. Bear in mind a lot of our community have high rates of type two diabetes and other health problems that are worsened by the more typical ramadan routine diet of parathas and pakoras. Parathas were a great breakfast for farmers who worked the fields all day (which is why it was the right and appropriate food for our grandparents generation)- not for those of us who sit down all day in offices, schools, taxis etc.

If you're interested in ideas for healthy, tasty and filling sehri and iftar meals, let me know inshaAllah.
    Last edited by neelu; 17-04-21, 04:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aelmo
    replied
    I had chicken kebabs today.

I really don't have much of an appetite lately but i'm going to try to eat a parfait for suhoor.

Leave a comment:

• Layla_
    replied
    Bump

Leave a comment:

• Simply_Logical
    replied
    Alhamdulillah Allahumma Bareek I went the whole of Ramadan with having just black coffee for sehri,
    if I can do it, baring in mind I'd always usually eat at sehri time,
    Then anyone can do it, Im only posting this as motivation for anyone else Alhamdulillah

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X