X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

That's good alhamdulillah 👌

Btw How's the weight lose going?
    I put a pause on the weight lose because I wasn't able to excersie at all during Ramadan or do IMF the way I initially wanted to. For the first half of Ramadan I was able to do IMF, but then I realized I was getting very weak by iftar time and it was impacting me negatively. I realized I needed to at least drink water to stay fasted for that long, which I guess what helps me doing IMF outside of Ramadan. So, I started having pretty big suhoors which allowed me to function well throughout the day. I do a lot throughout the day with kids, studying, housework, etc. without much assistance, so I couldn't survive on just iftar. But Alhamdulilah.

The good news is my weight has stayed the same.
    Inshaallah after Ramadan I'll be dealing with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faith reloaded 2 View Post

I have watermelon almost every iftar

one of my favourite fruits
      I have it every iftar and then throughout the night until suhoor.
      There is a clock on your forehead counting down to the time of your death. Only Allah knows how many seconds are left on it

Comment

• Originally posted by LaylaAb View Post
        I put a pause on the weight lose because I wasn't able to excersie at all during Ramadan or do IMF the way I initially wanted to. For the first half of Ramadan I was able to do IMF, but then I realized I was getting very weak by iftar time and it was impacting me negatively. I realized I needed to at least drink water to stay fasted for that long, which I guess what helps me doing IMF outside of Ramadan. So, I started having pretty big suhoors which allowed me to function well throughout the day. I do a lot throughout the day with kids, studying, housework, etc. without much assistance, so I couldn't survive on just iftar. But Alhamdulilah.
        The good news is my weight has stayed the same.
        Inshaallah after Ramadan I'll be dealing with that.
        fair enough sis

may Allah swt make it easy for you

Comment

• Alhamdulillah Allahumma Bareek I went the whole of Ramadan with having just black coffee for sehri,
          if I can do it, baring in mind I'd always usually eat at sehri time,
          Then anyone can do it, Im only posting this as motivation for anyone else Alhamdulillah

Comment

• Bump
            https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

• I had chicken kebabs today.

I really don't have much of an appetite lately but i'm going to try to eat a parfait for suhoor.

Comment

• I highly recommend that you start your iftar with water and/or dates, partly because it's sunnah, partly because it's easier on the stomach (than a full meal or heavy food) and partly because in my experience, if I start an iftar with heavy foods like pakoras, I feel sluggish and it becomes twice as difficult (sometimes impossible) to get up to do wudhu and maghrib.

Back when I was a school girl, I'd feel so hungry and eager to fill my stomach that I'd want to eat my fill as soon as it was iftar, then when I started praying I noticed how difficult it became to do maghrib and put that down to just being tired from fasting, but actually it's because starting the iftar with something light and fresh makes it easy to get up and still do things... if you still want a full meal or heavier food you can always have that after maghrib anyway.

Also as a child, it was fun enjoying the indulgent parathas at sehri and pakoras at iftar, but as I grew up, didi told me off and said ramadan it's better to eat simply in Ramadan- looking back I can see the wisdom in her advice. Butchers report making extra sales of meat during Ramadan and it just doesn't seem appropriate. It's embarrassing to see people put on weight in Ramadan- it's like they've really missed the point. On top of that, feasting and indulgent meals become a burden for the cook (usually a busy mother who'd rather spend her ramadan on more important things like reading quran and extra ibadat) who is usually also fasting so it makes more sense to simplify the day to day meals and just reserve more indulgent treats for special occasions and/or Eid. Bear in mind a lot of our community have high rates of type two diabetes and other health problems that are worsened by the more typical ramadan routine diet of parathas and pakoras. Parathas were a great breakfast for farmers who worked the fields all day (which is why it was the right and appropriate food for our grandparents generation)- not for those of us who sit down all day in offices, schools, taxis etc.

If you're interested in ideas for healthy, tasty and filling sehri and iftar meals, let me know inshaAllah.
                Last edited by neelu; 17-04-21, 04:35 PM.
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

• I have 3 dates and half glass of water before praying maghrib salah. Then I have a chapati and 2 or 3 spring rolls/samosa. Followed by fruit and milkshake
                  There is a clock on your forehead counting down to the time of your death. Only Allah knows how many seconds are left on it

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	902372F7-BCA2-4AED-BA5E-F73E9C25FD2E.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	12770539My suhoor is the same every single year: porridge with bananas/chopped up dates drizzle of honey and some extra stuff added on (black seed/flax seed/chia seeds)

if I don’t have that, then I have 7 dates (yes I count them) a glass of milk, banana & some watermelon

I brought some porridge this year which I don’t like, it taste horrible so I’ve only had it twice

for Iftar this year, I’ve just been doing grilled food, lots of fruit and some dessert for after

Comment

• Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

This is one of the first ramadhan where I haven't had watermelon 😭😭😭
                      Same, I had it yesterday and it felt like (insert meme)
                      Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

• Originally posted by neelu View Post
                        I highly recommend that you start your iftar with water and/or dates, partly because it's sunnah, partly because it's easier on the stomach (than a full meal or heavy food) and partly because in my experience, if I start an iftar with heavy foods like pakoras, I feel sluggish and it becomes twice as difficult (sometimes impossible) to get up to do wudhu and maghrib.

Back when I was a school girl, I'd feel so hungry and eager to fill my stomach that I'd want to eat my fill as soon as it was iftar, then when I started praying I noticed how difficult it became to do maghrib and put that down to just being tired from fasting, but actually it's because starting the iftar with something light and fresh makes it easy to get up and still do things... if you still want a full meal or heavier food you can always have that after maghrib anyway.

Also as a child, it was fun enjoying the indulgent parathas at sehri and pakoras at iftar, but as I grew up, didi told me off and said ramadan it's better to eat simply in Ramadan- looking back I can see the wisdom in her advice. Butchers report making extra sales of meat during Ramadan and it just doesn't seem appropriate. It's embarrassing to see people put on weight in Ramadan- it's like they've really missed the point. On top of that, feasting and indulgent meals become a burden for the cook (usually a busy mother who'd rather spend her ramadan on more important things like reading quran and extra ibadat) who is usually also fasting so it makes more sense to simplify the day to day meals and just reserve more indulgent treats for special occasions and/or Eid. Bear in mind a lot of our community have high rates of type two diabetes and other health problems that are worsened by the more typical ramadan routine diet of parathas and pakoras. Parathas were a great breakfast for farmers who worked the fields all day (which is why it was the right and appropriate food for our grandparents generation)- not for those of us who sit down all day in offices, schools, taxis etc.

If you're interested in ideas for healthy, tasty and filling sehri and iftar meals, let me know inshaAllah.
                        I feel the same way. I hate having heavy meals for iftar and for the past several years now I always break my fast with water and a banana (or some other fruit) and have a proper meal much later (like an hour or so after).

Although dates would be ideal, unfortunately I don’t like dates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
                          Click image for larger version

ID:	12770539My suhoor is the same every single year: porridge with bananas/chopped up dates drizzle of honey and some extra stuff added on (black seed/flax seed/chia seeds)

if I don’t have that, then I have 7 dates (yes I count them) a glass of milk, banana & some watermelon

I brought some porridge this year which I don’t like, it taste horrible so I’ve only had it twice

for Iftar this year, I’ve just been doing grilled food, lots of fruit and some dessert for after
                          I must say your food is always presented so well, if nothing else. Although I am sure it tastes just as good as it looks!

10/10 for presentation, that’s for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morose View Post

I must say your food is always presented so well, if nothing else. Although I am sure it tastes just as good as it looks!

10/10 for presentation, that’s for sure.
                            Thanks! Thought I’d be a bit extra this year with the candles, because why not!

Comment

• Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
                              Click image for larger version

What is in those pudding pots? Are they trifles? It all looks lovely.

I was going to say, a good healthy iftar idea would be to use the grill, something like grilled chicken (eg sis taouk, souvlaki or tandoori style) served with naan or wraps and a refreshing salad and yogurt. It's tasty, healthy, filling, doesn't take too long to make and doesn't require any deep frying.
                              The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

• Originally posted by neelu View Post

What is in those pudding pots? Are they trifles? It all looks lovely.

I was going to say, a good healthy iftar idea would be to use the grill, something like grilled chicken (eg sis taouk, souvlaki or tandoori style) served with naan or wraps and a refreshing salad and yogurt. It's tasty, healthy, filling, doesn't take too long to make and doesn't require any deep frying.
                                Jazakallah khayr & yes it’s trifle.

I definitely agree, and the best thing is that you can marinate it all the night before & then just grill it before Iftar. So quick & easy and nice.

Today I just had a shepherds pie with a big salad & fruit salad. I’ve got enough left over for tomorrow so no cooking! Yay

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X