Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foods For Health Benefits... What Do *You* Eat / Drink / Take & Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layla, in my house we have a filter so we drink filtered water. It tastes better than tap water. I have mixed feelings about fluoride as I've heard such a mixture of views about the pros and cons but I still use aquafresh toothpaste mainly out of habit cos I could never get used to miswak and haven't liked the fluoride free pastes I've tried so far.

Originally posted by Qiyas View Post
    You know, I think I'm going to make edible toothpaste, made from black seed oil, dates, badaam, pistha, flax seeds, and mint. Maybe throw in some omega 3 and multivits. Actually, with a bit of garlic in it, you wouldn't need the bog standard toothpaste anyway, I reckon...
    I think if you use garlic, it'll make your breath stink even after cleaning your teeth which seems a bit counterintuitive. I understand why you'd want to use it cos it has great health benefits but maybe not a good choice for a toothpaste ingredient.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post

I think if you use garlic, it'll make your breath stink even after cleaning your teeth which seems a bit counterintuitive. I understand why you'd want to use it cos it has great health benefits but maybe not a good choice for a toothpaste ingredient.
      Don't worry, I'll think of a nice smelling mouthwash too...
      "Yaa Allah grant me victory, or make me die Shaheed"

Remember how the Unbelievers plotted against thee, to keep thee in bonds, or slay thee, or get thee out (of thy home). They plot and plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah.
      (surah al-anfal v.30)

Comment

One time a few years ago I had a bit of toothache. It started off as some food getting stuck between my teeth so I tried brushing, flossing, toothpicks and all sorts but I suspect the toothpicks made matters worse. I think there was already a tiny cavity there which was how the food got so easily stuck there and it just felt awful and became painful. I suspect maybe I poked the toothpick too hard and made it worse. Anyway eventually I realised trying to get it out was only making matters worse but at least I should prevent it from getting infected, so I made some raita and made sure that as well as yogurt and cucumber, it also contained garlic and turmeric and then I ate that a couple of times a day. Eventually the pain calmed down and I think two days after the problem began, I was able to get it out with floss but those were a difficult two days.

I like to think the garlic and turmeric helped prevent it getting infected and I made a point of avoiding sugar and sweets as well to try and stop it getting worse. So I can see how garlic would have its uses but just not in toothpaste, but that's just me. Now that you've mentioned it, I probably should've used a mouthwash at the time as well.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
          One time a few years ago I had a bit of toothache. It started off as some food getting stuck between my teeth so I tried brushing, flossing, toothpicks and all sorts but I suspect the toothpicks made matters worse. I think there was already a tiny cavity there which was how the food got so easily stuck there and it just felt awful and became painful. I suspect maybe I poked the toothpick too hard and made it worse. Anyway eventually I realised trying to get it out was only making matters worse but at least I should prevent it from getting infected, so I made some raita and made sure that as well as yogurt and cucumber, it also contained garlic and turmeric and then I ate that a couple of times a day. Eventually the pain calmed down and I think two days after the problem began, I was able to get it out with floss but those were a difficult two days.

I like to think the garlic and turmeric helped prevent it getting infected and I made a point of avoiding sugar and sweets as well to try and stop it getting worse. So I can see how garlic would have its uses but just not in toothpaste, but that's just me. Now that you've mentioned it, I probably should've used a mouthwash at the time as well.
          I've read quite a few articles that stated that one of the ingredients of mouthwash can raise blood pressure, so I stopped using it.
          "Yaa Allah grant me victory, or make me die Shaheed"

Remember how the Unbelievers plotted against thee, to keep thee in bonds, or slay thee, or get thee out (of thy home). They plot and plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah.
          (surah al-anfal v.30)

Comment

Non-toxic tooth paste is easy to make.
            8 tbl. spoons sodium-bicarbonate
            (get one with out additives)
            and grind it into xtra fine powder

add 4-5 tbl. spoons Liquid coconut oil, not 'butter'

and if you prefer add a drop or two of peppermint oil,
            I however add 6 drops of either thyme or oregano oil
            because they both contain thymol which is an antibacterial.

Iv'e done this for years and haven't had a cavity.
            Makes your teeth super white too.

Refillable silicon travel tubes are great for this, can get them
            for two dollars or so.
            "When authority is given to those who do not deserve it,
            wait for the Day of Judgment."

Comment

LailaTheMuslim LailaTheMuslim replied

Anyone know anything good for liver function and liver cell repair?
              Green-tea and honey is soothing to the liver, gallbladder, stomach . . .

Olive-leaf tea is especially good for soothing and healing the same,
              add a 1/4 tsp. of
              Ceylon cinnamon (has to be Ceylon cinnamon) regular 'cinnamon' is
              like comparing table sugar to real honey.
              and a spoon full of organic honey.

Tried ^and truly works

"When authority is given to those who do not deserve it,
              wait for the Day of Judgment."

Comment

Originally posted by Leena_Cnd View Post

Green-tea and honey is soothing to the liver, gallbladder, stomach . . .

Olive-leaf tea is especially good for soothing and healing the same,
                add a 1/4 tsp. of
                Ceylon cinnamon (has to be Ceylon cinnamon) regular 'cinnamon' is
                like comparing table sugar to real honey.
                and a spoon full of organic honey.

Tried ^and truly works

I wanted Ceylon cinnamon for other reasons but could only find the cassia bark one. Most of the ones packaged by Asian companies and sold in shops in the UK are cassia bark. I did buy some ground cinnamon from lidl once and today I checked and it is actually Ceylon. Alhumdulillah I have been using it without even realising it was what I was looking for.

Comment

Organic honey

avacados (good fat) in moderation of course

blueberries

plain yogurt

eggs

salmon (once or twice a week)

green tea

spinach

black beans

Oats

Comment

I don't like toothpaste because it dries out my mouth and lips

Any recommendations? Something I can buy because I have other things on my plate and I know I won't e able to keep up with home made mixtures

Jazak Allah Hu khair
                    Last edited by Ya'sin; 29-02-20, 05:24 PM.
                    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

Any recommendations? Something I can buy because I have other things on my plate and I know I won't e able to keep up with home made mixtures

Jazak Allah Hu khair
                      Maybe a miswak?

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post

Maybe a miswak?
                        Nah :/

Only because it's hard to get quality ones and the ones I tried have this attar taste that makes me want to puke
                        'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

Comment

Nah :/

Only because it's hard to get quality ones and the ones I tried have this attar taste that makes me want to puke
                          You can always try kids toothpaste. They don’t make them to be too harsh but they get the job done and they taste like candy

Comment

Jazak Allah Hu khair
                            Assalamu Alaykom Yasin

I would recommend you buy sensodyne maximum strength toothpaste with extra whitening in shaa ALLAH because it is not harsh and it is a toothpaste for sensitive teeth and cavity prevention according to claims on the box.
                            Last edited by ABDEL-ATHEEM; 12-03-20, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ABDEL-ATHEEM View Post

Assalamu Alaykom Yasin

I would recommend you buy sensodyne maximum strength toothpaste with extra whitening in shaa ALLAH because it is not harsh and it is a toothpaste for sensitive teeth and cavity prevention according to claims on the box.
                              Thanks to my father who always bought sensodyne, it's my favourite toothpaste. Nothing beats it.

Currently using Colgate.

I would like to switch to a paste that doesn't have mint in it.

Years ago, when I was a little girl, I remember my daddy got aloe vera toothpaste, I think it was gentle but I am wondering whether I should get it or not again because I DON'T know if it was good for my teeth.

I would like to find something that is available in shops or online, not interested in home made tooth paste at the moment.

Comment

Jazak Allah Hu khair
                                Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area? I like their Fluoride Free Toothpaste that has Fennel, Propolis(google it, made by bees) and Myrrh. I don't trust flouride and after finding this toothpaste I can't go back to anything else. It is also really good for swollen gums, I just brush and let it foam and sit for 3 minutes and then rinse.

I found it on Amazon, but I think you can find it cheaper at their store.
                                https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-F.../dp/B003WSIESW

Comment

Working...
                                X