How do you get by in winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get by in winter?

I often hear others saying during winter they feel tired and that they can't get much done. They feel there is not enough time to do stuff in this already fast paced world.

Some peoples health gets affected whilst some blame it on the central heating we have here in the UK.

Some people change their diet during the winter like having more soups and obviously hot meals. What changes do you all make? 

How do you all deal with the winter or does it not bother you? You could post recipes of food that is a common winter food in your country or culture.

Assailant maximum

I look for cheap flights for Some winter sun.  SubhanAllah that one week with proper sunshine makes such a difference.  I know some sisters who use a SAD lamp and they say it helps too.

Comment

There should be more than enough time available. We ask Allah swt to grant us all barakah in our time

Comment

I don’t make much changes for the winter but for my children I do get in elderberry syrup & give them a warm drink of honey, black seed & lemon in some warm water ¬†just to boost them up. Winter doesn’t bother me, I love winter.¬†
        https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

With a lot of cream and lip balm. The only thing I don’t like about the winter is how dry my skin gets.

I really love winter time. The world is so quite cause everyone always stays inside and the snow makes everything so pretty. I miss it :’(

Comment

Lentil soup is a must

Comment

Hot water bottle

Comment

I am in Canada and winter gets really extreme over here.

I generally try to keep myself warm by drinking lots of warm drinks (warm milk, coffee etc.).

I actually don't mind winter but I have to watch out for slippery roads.

Comment

Hot meals (soups and bone broths are a good idea) and central heating is the short answer (as well as access to regular fresh air).

Before I became ill I used to have cereals in hot milk like shredded wheat, weetabix or apple porridge and porridge in particular helped give me a warmth that I wouldn't feel cold when I stepped outside even if it were snowing (a bit like that glow you see on kids in the ready brek ads)- but now i have to avoid gluten so that doesn't work for me anymore.

Also before I became ill, going out during the day in the winter was quite refreshing as long as I wore a good lip balm to prevent chapped lips and was wrapped up warm. The key to this is good footwear, a good coat and decent gloves and it helps to have reasonably good circulation otherwise your feet are cold no matter what you wear (even when covered in socks, duvet and double blankets, though I think garlic and exercise can help with circulation). If you're well wrapped up enough and ate/drank warm enough things before stepping outside, then going out in the day can feel energising with the cool breeze on your face but without freezing from the cold cos' you're well wrapped up. Then when you go home, make sure you heat up well also and a hot drink like hot chocolate can help with that. I think being indoors with the heating too long makes you feel stuffy after a while so some time outdoors to get fresh air is good and then returning to a warm home is good too.

Another thing I think is unhealthy is offices that don't have windows. I remember years ago working an 8am-4pm shift in the winter. I'd go to work just after fajr so it was still pretty dark outside when I left the house and then it would be getting dark at the end of my shift as well, so I'd work for days in an office without seeing daylight. It was a call centre and the blinds were down all day. I also think a little hibernation and cosying up at home in the winter isn't such a bad thing anyway. Loads of animals do it for obvious reasons, we should also have some chillout time, probably naturally benefit from a bit more rest and more seasonal warming foods, I'd go so far as to say maybe even benefit from putting on a couple of pounds to keep warm.... though for health reasons we should switch to healthier and lighter foods in the spring and summer to lose extra weight afterwards. I think we should take into consideration that some people benefit from taking things slower in winter and don't like this time of year and for people with SAD it can get more serious than that so they might benefit from suitable lighting and even time away in the sun to help recover.
                  The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

I'm a bear..I hibernate.
                    Pray. Fast. Zakat. Pilgrimage. Allah.

Comment

Originally posted by Al-Mualim View Post
                      I'm a bear..I hibernate.
                      I know how you feel
                      He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters - Psalms (Zaboor of Dawood)

Comment

Each year is getting harder for me.

I hate saying this but I do feel like an old lady, an OAP. 

I will be honest, winter is a bit difficult for me, and it does bother me. 

I wear layers 24/7. As I type this, I have two cardigans on and some random woolly top especially made for the grannies. 

It was originally for my Nani (may she rest in peace, ameen) my mum got it for her mother
                         I guess I just took it. 

I have leggings on, and on top of that those salwaar kameez trousers. 

I had those thermal leggings, don't know where that's gone. LOL. 

I drink tea and hibernate too.

i won't be going out unless I really have to.

Those days are long gone kiddos. Grandma Yasin has to go to bed early

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

I mentioned in other posts that I'd wear my coat indoors too

LOL. 

I would hate to live in Canada. 
                          'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

Comment

If winter was for a few weeks, I'd put up with it.

It's autumn isn't it? It feels like winter until May-June.

I don't mind rainy days, brings back memories.

I like sunny, longer days and the warmth (not too much heat).

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                              Each year is getting harder for me.

I hate saying this but I do feel like an old lady, an OAP.¬¬†

I will be honest, winter is a bit difficult for me, and it does bother me.¬¬†

I wear layers 24/7. As I type this, I have two cardigans on and some random woolly top especially made for the grannies.¬¬†

It was originally for my Nani (may she rest in peace, ameen) my mum got it for her mother
                              ¬ I guess I just took it.¬¬†

I have leggings on, and on top of that those salwaar kameez trousers.¬¬†

I had those thermal leggings, don't know where that's gone. LOL.¬¬†

I drink tea and hibernate too.

i won't be going out unless I really have to.

Those days are long gone kiddos. Grandma Yasin has to go to bed early
                              ¬¬† ¬¬†

What is 'Grandma Yasin' doing up at this time then?!!! :O

Naughty 'Grandma'! :P

I also wear coat in the house. I wear it more in the house than outside, ha-ha-ha.

I like aspects of long days and short days. I like in-the-middle weather. Not too cold, not too hot.

A tree I know is looking Autumnally beautiful in the daytime sun.

Hot drinks help for warm-keeping.

I can accept snow for a day, but more than that then I get worried about people's health and of outdoor slipperiness for people. Not for me cos I ain't going out. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X