Any Vegans or Vegetarians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Vegans or Vegetarians?

Salaams peeps is there any vegans or Vegetarians?

How did you transition? How difficult was it to cut out the meat? 

Deleted.
    Last edited by oshirowanen; 15-11-19, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oshirowanen View Post

I guess I converted to a lacto-ovo-pescatarian, which was not planned and was not intentional. Wasn't that difficult to be honest. I don't seem to miss chicken or other red meats at all. Was never a big fan of meats. Even as a child, I enjoyed vegetables, lentils, and pulses a lot more than meat. Force myself to eat fish for the health benefits these days. To be honest, I would find it a lot easier to become a fully fledged vegetarian, as fish is a hassle.

I don't think I could handle becoming a vegan.
      Pescatarian.... That's cool

how long you been a Pescatarian? 

0being vegan does sound hard 

Comment

Deleted.
        Last edited by oshirowanen; 15-11-19, 03:12 PM.

Comment

About 2 years I think.

Yeah, and it's very expensive too from what I can tell, especially if you try to be vegan and try to get all your daily nutrient requirements. my unintentional convertion to a lacto-ovo-pescatarian works for me, feels like I have not given up much, just increased my fish intake. I used to have chicken every single day when I was younger and living with my parents. I would literally say "can you please make some veg/pulse/lentil dishes, getting tired of meat every single day".. My parents were not fans of fish, I think we used to have fish once every 5 years or something like that.

I've basically reversed the situation, I now have fish at least 5 times a week. Chicken and other meats I think I have around 2 or 3 times a year.
          Do you feel any health benefits since changing diet? 

i initially thought it was expensive but I think if you look at it it more or less is the same

Comment

Deleted.

Comment

Unsure if I am honest. Biggest difference I have noticed is that I feel more alert and have more energy during the day. But that is probably more to do with portion control. Before I would eat an insane amount and then want to pass out because of how heavy/oily the meals were.
              Maybe you've become more healthy without realising it

what sort of fish do you normally eat? 

Comment

Deleted.

Comment

Keeping it simple and chose the readily available stuff like Tuna, Cod and Salmon.

Planning on converting too?
                  Yes I plan on converting to either vegetarian or vegan but will also consider pescatarian too

what about sardines and mackerel? Full of omega 3

Comment

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I think there are better fish options out there because there's so much over fishing that these sought after varieties are under threat.  In particular, instead of cod, I'd recommend pollock, hake or coley.  I've heard they taste the same as cod, but are more sustainable and cheaper.  I've tried coley in fish pakoras and it really does taste the same.

Also the recommendation is to eat fish twice a week because too much fish can cause mercury to accumulate in the body.  Fresh tuna and salmon contain omega 3s as well as sardines and mackerel.  

Most people think going vegetarian means you need to worry about protein but that's not true- you need to worry about your vitamin b12 intake because that mainly comes from animal products.  Protein can be found in pulses and iron can be found in dark leafy green vegetables amongst other things, but make sure you both get enough b12.

Keeping it simple and chose the readily available stuff like Tuna, Cod and Salmon.

Planning on converting too?

The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

Yes I plan on converting to either vegetarian or vegan but will also consider pescatarian too

what about sardines and mackerel? Full of omega 3
                      What are your reasons for wanting to turn vegan?

Comment

Originally posted by Logic View Post

What are your reasons for wanting to turn vegan?
                        Just to become more healthy

Still just thinking about it

Comment

I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as you research it well to ensure that you can still get the nutrients that people normally get from meat and dairy.  In particular make sure you get adequate calcium, iron, protein, vitamins b12 and d3 and omega 3s.  B12 is the hardest one to find as a vegetarian and may need to take supplements for it.  Also take your time to find dishes that you like which don't require meat (and dairy if you're going vegan as well).  I think a gradual transition would be a good idea because the body takes time to adjust and adapt to such drastic changes.  Also keep track of your health and whether the changing diet affects your energy levels, your immune system (how easily prone you are to colds and other bugs going round), digestion and also your mental health as food can affect all of these.
                          The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

I was a vegetarian for a long time & to be honest it wasn’t that hard as im not a huge meat eater.

I did try to go vegan too but I found it very very difficult. Plus, what is life without cheese?! (I cook a lot of lasagna, shepherds pie etc!)

I am trying to limit my meat intake. Do you listen to podcasts? On freshly grounded the brother from sunnah remedies was discussing limiting meat & what you should buy for your weekly shop if you want to be healthier. He advocates limiting meat but he’s a fan of fish especially salmon and so on.

https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
                              I was a vegetarian for a long time & to be honest it wasn’t that hard as im not a huge meat eater.

I did try to go vegan too but I found it very very difficult. Plus, what is life without cheese?! (I cook a lot of lasagna, shepherds pie etc!)

I am trying to limit my meat intake. Do you listen to podcasts? On freshly grounded the brother from sunnah remedies was discussing limiting meat & what you should buy for your weekly shop if you want to be healthier. He advocates limiting meat but he’s a fan of fish especially salmon and so on.
                              Yea I listen to podcasts, you got a link to that specific podcast?

I suppose if you're not much of a meat eater it will be easier for you to be a vegetarian

So was it the cheese that was the hardest thing for you to become fully vegan?

Comment

Working...
                              X