Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fasting is NOT about solidarity with the needy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting is NOT about solidarity with the needy!

Fasting in Ramadan is NOT to show solidarity with the needy. Where the heck did that poorsplaining Madonna black baby holding upper class privilege reasoning come from?

I don't know if you were like me, but as a kid I was taught Muslims fast in Ramadan to feel solidarity with those who are impoverished. And I see a lot of Muslims saying that to explain to non-Muslims that's why we fast.

Well, it's totally wrong. And really problematic if you think about it.

Case in point: Then why do poor people have to fast? And you know what its like to be poor because you didn't eat lunch and scarfed down 10 plates of lamb biryani at iftar? You take any time to think about poor people gobbling down those kabobs?

Saying fasting in Ramadan is to show solidarity for the poor is like going to a strawberry orchard picking at a resort thinking you understand the plight of migrant farm workers.

The Quran spells it out pretty clearly in Surah Baqarah why we fast: "O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may learn self-restraint."

So just like in other faiths, we fast to discipline ourselves and create consciousness of God. Simple.

I have no idea where the origin of the explanation "solidarity with the needy" came from. But let's stop it. LIKE, NOW.

Because it's lazy hashtag activism. It's the Islamic equivalent of "thoughts and prayers" without giving any actual thoughts and prayers to the needy.

It's pretty insulting. Go up to a homeless person and be like "Hey man, I'm gonna forgo my routine Chipotle lunch burrito run today cuz I wanna give you a shoutout for being an unemployed military veteran and father of four with no health benefits and shelter for your family. Man, not having those guac and chips, I feel you fam."

I'm sure whomever came up with this explanation was very well intended. But in 2017, the explanation reeks of privilege. You will not begin to understand what it's like to be poor until you are actually poor yourself or spend extensive time engaging and assisting those in need. And EVEN THEN, you probably may never understand.

Anywho, just some food for thought - since you were thinking no food was thought.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/amanalistat...05712382361984
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Working...
    X