Couch to 5K

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have to run or can you walk
    The sunnah is like the ark of Noah, whoever embarks upon it reaches salvation and whoever refuses is drowned.
    ~ Imam Malik (may Allah have mercy on him)

Comment

Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
      Do you have to run or can you walk
      You can start off with brisk walking if you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post

There's no set time limit.

Although once my fitness improves, I'll take up a challenge of a time limit.

What plan/guide will you be using?

I can do 5K alhamdulillaah.

Might look up the strength training for runners.

:-)

I found the following plans. I don't intend to follow them exactly, only to have an idea of what the aim is.

10 Weeks to 10K *
        https://www.vitalitylondon10000.co.u...eeks-10k-plan/

6 Weeks to 10K *
        https://www.vitalitylondon10000.co.u...ners-schedule/

* May have women pics on there/on the ads.

Couch to 10K
        https://www.orthocarolina.com/storag...-_beginner.pdf

(Disclaimer: I was looking for 10k plans only and didn't closely explore the sites and don't know what the sites are about really.)

So many server errors trying to post this.
        Last edited by Rahma.; 13-09-19, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Cool. Thanks Sr Rahma.

Comment

It's a good app. Get a good pair of running trainers (not regular trainers) and running socks and those compression legging things to wear under your joggers to improve blood flow in the legs and stretch the legs and feet and lower back after the run.

​​​​

Comment

Does anyone actually enjoy running?

If so, tips to make it enjoyable?

Comment

Originally posted by Poster View Post
                Does anyone actually enjoy running?

If so, tips to make it enjoyable?
                You're a brother. You can run outside, in the city streets, or village roads, fields, parks - hills, anywhere.

The world is your oyster.

What's more enjoyable than running out in the open, with the fresh morning air on your face? Or the sound of nature?

If that doesn't do it for you - think of a route - put in your headphones and listen to your favourite nasheed artist or qur'aan recitor.

Comment

You're a brother. You can run outside, in the city streets, or village roads, fields, parks - hills, anywhere.

The world is your oyster.

What's more enjoyable than running out in the open, with the fresh morning air on your face? Or the sound of nature?

If that doesn't do it for you - think of a route - put in your headphones and listen to your favourite nasheed artist or qur'aan recitor.

Are you familiar with what's known as 'flow state'?

Apparently some people get it from running but every minute running feels like an hour for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Poster View Post

Are you familiar with what's known as 'flow state'?

Apparently some people get it from running but every minute running feels like an hour for me.
                    You're in the opposite of the "flow state"?

(I Googled).

Do you have a running buddy?

Are you competitive? You can set yourself goals.

Comment

You're in the opposite of the "flow state"?

(I Googled).

Do you have a running buddy?

Are you competitive? You can set yourself goals.

I'd say so, yeah.

I run with one other brother and that's really the only reason I go but it's not enjoyable right now. Insha'Allah I'll try to figure a few things out then report back here in a few weeks.

Comment

Cool. Thanks Sr Rahma.

You are most welcome. :)

How's it going for you?
                        Are you using a/those^ plans, an app ?

Allahu a'lam.. I read that apparently switching between walking, jogging, running (like the plans^) while training builds your ability and fitness faster, rather than trying to run steady in one go. (You might already know that).

Also someone said about running shoes: to get half a size up than your actual size. So for e.g. if a 1 then get 1.5.

Oh and I've a tactic (for easy pace): Dhikr while training - light on the tongue, heavy on the scales! Also, I believe Dhikr (and Qur'an) help the immune system, body, mind, alhamdulillah. So let's!

I walked 10K in 102 mins on Sunday... !

I was curious to know what 10k was.

It wasn't easy to do over 1.5 hours without stopping.

Yesterday I (fast) walked & (easy-ish) ran 3km in 27mins.

I think the times are ok for a beginner, Alhamdulillah. It's still early days, I need to build on strength and endurance.

I read (I think) man's average for 10k is around 45mins and woman's is around 50mins. But I don't know if that's for people who've trained for a loooong time?

One thing enjoyable Alhamdulillah about running is: once you get into your stride, and if you're going at a (steady) speed comfortably, it's like you're flying. It almost feels powerful!

(Shinsplint is expected in early days, strength training can help that, in sha Allah.)

And the other enjoyable thing (which can come with any activity) is the energised and motivated feeling. Also, knowing about the benefits for your health.

Alhamdulillah for every stride. "If you are thankful, I will certainly give you more." !

Subhanallah, walhamdulillah, wa la ilaha illallah, wallahu akbar!

:)

¬*

Comment

Working...
                        X