"No Sugar" - Week 2 & Beyond.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 5 of 40. Alhamdulillaah.
    ​​Your du'aa... Always dear, always needed (Jazaa'akumullah Khair.)

Comment

• Day 6 if 40. Alhamdulillaah.

Comment

• Day 8 of 40 Alhamdulillaah.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fakhri-bin-Ali View Post
          Right. Had halwa, chocolate biscuits, Chocolate Gateau, a couple of Madelines and I'm done, I think. Pretty much forced myself to eat those.

Back on insha'Allah. 40 days insha'Allah from now.
          As with the last time, let me just say if I break my word, I'll take on whatever 'punishment' is set by any of the forum regulars.

On day 1 of 40.
          Alhamdulillaah.
          Your punishment would be to bake a giant fudge cake and have to eat it all within a day!

I haven’t had sugar since the first day of Ramadan! It wasn’t as difficult this time as it was in the past. I just have to make it through two days and I’m good. I’m having a cheat weekend this Thursday and Friday (my days off). I haven’t eaten meat or chicken this month so I’m thinking to do 2 hour oven roasted rib eye steak that would be marinated in garlic and yogurt over night. I’ve also been craving French toast. I wonder if it will taste sickly sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abisali View Post

Your punishment would be to bake a giant fudge cake and have to eat it all within a day!

I haven’t had sugar since the first day of Ramadan! It wasn’t as difficult this time as it was in the past. I just have to make it through two days and I’m good. I’m having a cheat weekend this Thursday and Friday (my days off). I haven’t eaten meat or chicken this month so I’m thinking to do 2 hour oven roasted rib eye steak that would be marinated in garlic and yogurt over night. I’ve also been craving French toast. I wonder if it will taste sickly sweet.
            MaashaaAllah. That's fantastic, brother. Allah Ta'aalaa grant barakah. Well-earnt day for some treats, I say.

​​​​​​The truth is I haven't been posting these last few days on this thread because I actually wasn't able to continue as I wanted.
            I bought my nephew and niece some desserts they asked for... As usual, they had a couple of nibbles and didn't want to finish them... And if I didn't have them myself, they would have gone in the bin.

Wasn't going to waste, especially during Ramadhan (absolutely not) so in the end it was a choice of not going through with the days, or chucking quite a lot of expensive dessert in the bin - only one thing I could do, really.

I don't know... Am I still liable for any punishment prescribed by the forum members? I'm going to be lenient on myself and say it was broken out of necessity. (I honestly had zero interest in eating those things and was quite annoyed with it all, although it was partly my fault since I ordered too large an amount.)

Comment

MaashaaAllah. That's fantastic, brother. Allah Ta'aalaa grant barakah. Well-earnt day for some treats, I say.

​​​​​​The truth is I haven't been posting these last few days on this thread because I actually wasn't able to continue as I wanted.
              I bought my nephew and niece some desserts they asked for... As usual, they had a couple of nibbles and didn't want to finish them... And if I didn't have them myself, they would have gone in the bin.

Wasn't going to waste, especially during Ramadhan (absolutely not) so in the end it was a choice of not going through with the days, or chucking quite a lot of expensive dessert in the bin - only one thing I could do, really.

I don't know... Am I still liable for any punishment prescribed by the forum members? I'm going to be lenient on myself and say it was broken out of necessity. (I honestly had zero interest in eating those things and was quite annoyed with it all, although it was partly my fault since I ordered too large an amount.)
              Well, you learned your lesson and now know not to buy too much next time. I’ll lessen the punishment and now require you to eat half a watermelon and drink a glass of lemonade blended with ice and mint.

And don’t feel bad. We’re human, we will never be perfect and will always slip up. We just need to get back up on the horse every time we fall off.

Im actually worried about my cheat weekend. Don’t want to go overboard. But this last month shows me that I can stick to a diet and lose weight so I feel like I have more will power, so inshallah I won’t have a problem. I could avoid cheating but I don’t want to forbid myself from everything forever. It’s not a way to live, well, since I love food.

I just have to decide if I want to cook or eat out.

Comment

• Fakhri, you can always store those leftovers away in airtight containers to eat the next day rather than trying to finish them all at once.

I wanted to try a new chocolate filled muffin so I brought it but I knew the muffin is too big for me to eat by myself so I cut it into four chunks and shared it with my siblings. There was one chunk left which I stored away and had the next day with a bit of cream.

Some desserts are too much after one bite because they're too rich or too dry etc..
                'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Congratulations that's really impressive

This Ramadan I've had an addiction to strawberry trifle and have craved it a few times

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

Congratulations that's really impressive

This Ramadan I've had an addiction to strawberry trifle and have craved it a few times
                    I had to google strawberry trifle since I've never heard of it. We have something here similar to it called strawberry shortcake. It's made with either layered angel food cake or a sweet biscuit, whipped cream, strawberries and a sweet "sauce" or syrup made from strawberries. It's one of my favorite desserts, it's just not sold at the regular stores and I don't want to buy a bunch of ingredient to make it.

Apparently, the original version was made with a crispy biscuit and the angel food cake came later. Here is a picture of the biscuit version:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	strawberry-shortcake-featured.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	12813398

Comment

• Abisali

Interesting
                      I've never looked into the history of trifle
                      That looks like a mini Victoria sponge cake or a scone.
                      The UK version (I don't know who they copied or who the original creator is) consists of custard and jelly.

My favourite part is of course the custard and cream. Sometimes in our house we have people taking more of the top part.

I'm planning on making it today for Eid for my siblings and the kids to enjoy.
                      I asked my sibling if they can get the ingredients for me, I hope they can find the vegetarian gelatine.

My niece has been waiting for a strawberry cheesecake for years (no joke) and I've been holding back because I can't break the biscuits, I know you can put them in a bag and break them with a rolling pin but my poor hands just don't want to. I need those processing machines.

I have made it before with some in the blender and some broken with my hands but it was such a mess for a cheesecake.

I'm not into biscuity desserts.

Comment

Well, you learned your lesson and now know not to buy too much next time. I’ll lessen the punishment and now require you to eat half a watermelon and drink a glass of lemonade blended with ice and mint.

And don’t feel bad. We’re human, we will never be perfect and will always slip up. We just need to get back up on the horse every time we fall off.

Im actually worried about my cheat weekend. Don’t want to go overboard. But this last month shows me that I can stick to a diet and lose weight so I feel like I have more will power, so inshallah I won’t have a problem. I could avoid cheating but I don’t want to forbid myself from everything forever. It’s not a way to live, well, since I love food.

I just have to decide if I want to cook or eat out.

Yeah, I had them stored in the freezer for a few days but their mum who was already annoyed that I'd got them the desserts in the first place wasn't best pleased about the space in the freezers being used up. (Bengali household freezers... Think hundreds of 'mossas' of one sort or another needing to be stored)... They were going to be thrown away had I not eaten them myself.

Tbh, I can't remember a time when I broke these no-sugar challenges because I just wanted to eat something sugary. It's always the same story with food going to be wasted and me having to eat them rather than seeing it being chucked away - usually involves those two little monkeys as well. :|

Anyway, it was my fault this time, I did get them some massive portions.
                        ​​​​​​
                        ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                          Fakhri, you can always store those leftovers away in airtight containers to eat the next day rather than trying to finish them all at once.

I wanted to try a new chocolate filled muffin so I brought it but I knew the muffin is too big for me to eat by myself so I cut it into four chunks and shared it with my siblings. There was one chunk left which I stored away and had the next day with a bit of cream.

Some desserts are too much after one bite because they're too rich or too dry etc..
                          Sorry br Abisali I replied to you when it was meant as a reply to Sr Ya'sin
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Yeah, I had them stored in the freezer for a few days but their mum who was already annoyed that I'd got them the desserts in the first place wasn't best pleased about the space in the freezers being used up. (Bengali household freezers... Think hundreds of 'mossas' of one sort or another needing to be stored)... They were going to be thrown away had I not eaten them myself.

Tbh, I can't remember a time when I broke these no-sugar challenges because I just wanted to eat something sugary. It's always the same story with food going to be wasted and me having to eat them rather than seeing it being chucked away - usually involves those two little monkeys as well. :|

Anyway, it was my fault this time, I did get them some massive portions.
                            ​​​​​​
                            ​​​​​
                            Yeh my mum tells me off too (her mossas aren't too bad but I have seen some serious mossas in other houses, frosted for centuries goods that need to be binned, eww), especially for wanting to try different desserts.

'thai hali otha anneh, aar hum fai na' I actually got banned for buying goods but it just happens lmso

Save the hassle and follow my cheap and cheerful genius idea, I just make the kids hot chocolate with some decorations (like sprinkles) and every time they come to their grandparents house that's the speciality. They get excited and because their mums don't buy hot chocolate it's only available here and when one of the niece's sees me she says she wants hot chocolate.

No waste, my mum doesn't like wasting food either so won't throw my food away.

Comment

• I made trifle a couple of times from scratch years ago. I made them as individual portions by serving them in drinks glasses. They looked nice but didi said the portions were too big for one person and it was very rich. I made the jelly using those halal jelly packets you can find in desi grocery stores, I made the (swiss roll) sponge part from scratch and one time I even made the custard from scratch- probably just to prove to myself that I can do it. It took a long time and I was tired at the end, but it tasted nice enough. I wouldn't recommend doing all the steps from scratch though- it tastes fine if you use shop bought sponge and shop bought custard. Apparently authentic trifle doesn't even need jelly (I think it's cos the packets of Birds trifle tend to use jelly so people assume that's an essential part of it) so it can just be made with the cake, cream and custard.

I made it cos one time we had loads of leftover milk and someone bought nectarines by mistake so I put chunks of nectarine in the jelly and used the milk to make custard. I think I made too much though cos although it tasted good, it was quite rich so difficult for everyone to finish a large amount in one go. In fact I probably wouldn't make it again, even though it was nice- because my family much prefer either chocolate brownies or cheesecakes or other desserts that I make.

Originally posted by Abisali View Post

I had to google strawberry trifle since I've never heard of it. We have something here similar to it called strawberry shortcake. It's made with either layered angel food cake or a sweet biscuit, whipped cream, strawberries and a sweet "sauce" or syrup made from strawberries. It's one of my favorite desserts, it's just not sold at the regular stores and I don't want to buy a bunch of ingredient to make it.

Apparently, the original version was made with a crispy biscuit and the angel food cake came later. Here is a picture of the biscuit version:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	strawberry-shortcake-featured.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	12813398
                              That looks like a scone picture though I've seen recipes for strawberry shortcake and it is a bit more biscuity than a scone. I'd prefer it with cake though.
                              The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

• Originally posted by neelu View Post
                                I made trifle a couple of times from scratch years ago. I made them as individual portions by serving them in drinks glasses. They looked nice but didi said the portions were too big for one person and it was very rich. I made the jelly using those halal jelly packets you can find in desi grocery stores, I made the (swiss roll) sponge part from scratch and one time I even made the custard from scratch- probably just to prove to myself that I can do it. It took a long time and I was tired at the end, but it tasted nice enough. I wouldn't recommend doing all the steps from scratch though- it tastes fine if you use shop bought sponge and shop bought custard. Apparently authentic trifle doesn't even need jelly (I think it's cos the packets of Birds trifle tend to use jelly so people assume that's an essential part of it) so it can just be made with the cake, cream and custard.

I made it cos one time we had loads of leftover milk and someone bought nectarines by mistake so I put chunks of nectarine in the jelly and used the milk to make custard. I think I made too much though cos although it tasted good, it was quite rich so difficult for everyone to finish a large amount in one go. In fact I probably wouldn't make it again, even though it was nice- because my family much prefer either chocolate brownies or cheesecakes or other desserts that I make.

That looks like a scone picture though I've seen recipes for strawberry shortcake and it is a bit more biscuity than a scone. I'd prefer it with cake though.
                                Yea, I prefer the cake over the biscuit. I even prefer white cake over angel food cake, but I’m not picky. I love all cake. I never made it from scratch, but I did buy some whipped cream in a can, strawberries, jelly and angel food cake last year. It was okay, but bakeries make it so much better.

I used to make some good apple walnut muffins, apple pie, custard pie and carrot cake from scratch, but that was many years ago while living in Palestine. Now that I’m in the states, the convenience of buying store bought stuff is just too easy. Though now, since I’m not there, I’d rather have Palestinian desserts over western ones. I’d love some konafa and kullaj. I won’t turn away a slice of strawberry short cake though, as long as it’s on my cheat day.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X