Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 16 of 100.
    Alhamdulillaah.
    ​​Your du'aa... Always dear, always needed (Jazaa'akumullah Khair.)

Comment

• I just saw a youtube recommendation for a recipe for banana barfi with no maida (plain flour) and no sugar. I was intrigued because I have to eat gluten free food and thought a sugar free mithai would be a nice option for Eid or something.

I clicked on the link and it turned out that they used wholewheat flour instead of maida and they used gurr (jaggery) instead of sugar and I know jaggery is considered a bit healthier but I still think it's cheating. I was disappointed but a lot of these clickbait recipes are like that and it turns out it still contains something I shouldn't be eating but I'll only find out after I click on it. I guess other people who want to go sugar free could try that though as a substitute for sugar. In my experience, gurr is not as moreish or addictive as sugar is, so maybe that's why some people might not like it, but I think part of the problem with sugar is how it doesn't trigger the part of the brain which says "okay that's enough, don't go overboard", so what is better for us wont necessarily have that moreish quality.

Sugar is like the dunya: everyone enjoys a bit of sweetness in their lives and that's okay, but if you get hooked on it, it'll damage you and could even kill you.
      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

• On day 17 of 100. Alhamdulillaah.

Comment

• Day 18 of 100. Alhamdulillaah.

Comment

• Fakhri-bin-Ali
            Brother what obvious differences have you felt physiologically since cutting out sugar, which you can definitely put down to having no sugar and not any other factor.

The only times I completely cut out sugar is in Ramadan. But I'm so drained from the fasting that I can't tell how I've benefited.

Comment

• Originally posted by MyUsernameIs... View Post
              Fakhri-bin-Ali
              Brother what obvious differences have you felt physiologically since cutting out sugar, which you can definitely put down to having no sugar and not any other factor.

The only times I completely cut out sugar is in Ramadan. But I'm so drained from the fasting that I can't tell how I've benefited.
              Sister...What I can say is, before answering the question, for myself, by exercising even if for a very small amount of time and by trying to eat cleaner, it's a big reason for just feeling positive in general, bit that's only as long as I'm not slacking in my deen.

With the no-sugar thing, I know that I'm doing something hopefully very positive to help my health (inshaa'Allah) so just knowing that is in itself a big plus psychologically*. It's also just the not having that sort of 'dependancy' on these kinds of harmful foods and being free of the want for them 99% of the time.

Without trying to be dramatic, it's definitely liberating, and it's that feeling probably, that keeps me sticking with it.

Uplifting, empowering - a couple of other words that come to mind... (Alhamdulillaah, by His Kindness.)

Alhamdulillaah. It's part of the way we're created (and part of the beauty of Islam) that when we're able to rid the nafs of any kind of harmful thing it's chained to, there's a sense of upliftment within the soul. I realise how that may sound.... But that's genuinely the way I find it for myself.

------------
              ​​​​​​
              * I've been hesitant to mention this before virtually or in person, but my family have had COVID early on and also very recently. It was quite bad for some of them, particularly my younger brother, but both times I've not had any symptoms at all, Alhamdulillaah, by His Kindness. Maybe (bi-ithni Ta'aalaa) part of that has been related to being on this no-sugar for long periods at a time.

Comment

• Day 19 of 100. Alhamdulillaah.

I really encourage everyone not already doing so to also make some efforts in at least reducing the intake. insha'Allah, it'll benefit us all. 👍

Comment

• I've just received a new batch of sidr honey. It helps cos I can't have unsweetened tea so for a few weeks I'd been putting a little sugar in. Now that I've switched to sidr honey, I find that a little goes a long way, so a smaller amount gives the same amount of sweetness. That helps cos I'm not just having normal tea, I'm also having a herbal tea for health reasons. That's aside from the benefit of it being a sunnah food that I take for health reasons. I take around a third of a teaspoon of honey in one cup of tea.

Also as much as I can get away with it, I keep sweet condiments to a minimum. When I first became more conscious of my sugar intake, I decided to set a limit that I wouldn't have more than two teaspoons of ketchup (or imli sauce) with stuff like chips (or whatever else you'd have ketchup with). Over time, I was able to cut down to around 1.5 teaspoons in a meal but now, as long as the food is prepared correctly, I can cut that down to around 1 teaspoon. I don't think I could go without ketchup altogether, as certain dishes need that moisture and that flavour. I tried one of those "low sugar" ketchups, but they use artificial sweetener and taste too vinegary, so I stick to real ketchup but a low amount.

Last time my doctor checked my blood sugars, he said it was okay, which was a relief because I'm prediabetic and I just don't want this to turn into full blown diabetes. I don't know if my precautions can reverse my diagnosis or not, but at least it seems I've been able to keep my health stable and avoid any further deterioration so far. I believe methi (fenugreek) has helped stabilise things a lot.

Comment

• On day 21 of 100.
                    Alhamdulillaah.

Comment

• okay so im thinking about cutting down on sugars but you guys who are quiting or cutting down, are you really doing it though?

reason why i ask is because i watched a documentary about sugar and its literally in everything savory, cereals, ketchup, you name it, truly shocking

i watched this bbc documentary (link below) on youtube called The Truth About Sugar Addiction - MIND-BLOWING BBC Documentary

warning uncovered women, music etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfsTgEn4CDU

Comment

• Wow. You lot are really disciplined. The only reason I'm self restricting sugar is for knee recovery. I hear eating it makes your bones brittle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post
                          okay so im thinking about cutting down on sugars but you guys who are quiting or cutting down, are you really doing it though?

reason why i ask is because i watched a documentary about sugar and its literally in everything savory, cereals, ketchup, you name it, truly shocking

i watched this bbc documentary (link below) on youtube called The Truth About Sugar Addiction - MIND-BLOWING BBC Documentary

I think you just killed the thread. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Lonesome Dove
                            Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post
                            okay so im thinking about cutting down on sugars but you guys who are quiting or cutting down, are you really doing it though?

I think you just killed the thread. Lol
                            Sorry that wasn't the plan just saying most the time even if you tried to avoid sugars you'd be probably consuming it in food and drink you wouldn't have ever thought it would be in, it's shocking really

Comment

• Originally posted by Fakhri-bin-Ali View Post

Sister...What I can say is, before answering the question, for myself, by exercising even if for a very small amount of time and by trying to eat cleaner, it's a big reason for just feeling positive in general, bit that's only as long as I'm not slacking in my deen.

With the no-sugar thing, I know that I'm doing something hopefully very positive to help my health (inshaa'Allah) so just knowing that is in itself a big plus psychologically*. It's also just the not having that sort of 'dependancy' on these kinds of harmful foods and being free of the want for them 99% of the time.

Without trying to be dramatic, it's definitely liberating, and it's that feeling probably, that keeps me sticking with it.

Uplifting, empowering - a couple of other words that come to mind... (Alhamdulillaah, by His Kindness.)

Alhamdulillaah. It's part of the way we're created (and part of the beauty of Islam) that when we're able to rid the nafs of any kind of harmful thing it's chained to, there's a sense of upliftment within the soul. I realise how that may sound.... But that's genuinely the way I find it for myself.

------------
                              ​​​​​​
                              * I've been hesitant to mention this before virtually or in person, but my family have had COVID early on and also very recently. It was quite bad for some of them, particularly my younger brother, but both times I've not had any symptoms at all, Alhamdulillaah, by His Kindness. Maybe (bi-ithni Ta'aalaa) part of that has been related to being on this no-sugar for long periods at a time.
                              I actually understand the feelings of empowerment etc.
                              I usually do not have any foods with added sugar during Ramadan but I really struggled with fasting this time so didn't feel the benefit.

However when Ramadan was over I realised I had absolutely no cravings for sugar and could easily pass up the offer of consuming my favourite sugar loaded foods. It felt amazing to have that level of self control.

I think I may join the thread soon and give myself a pathetically low target of going 2 days without sugar ...and maybe build from there InshAllah

Comment

• I think I watched this a few years ago. I've seen two documentaries on sugar (on terrestrial tv channels). One was "the truth about sugar" and the other I can't remember the name of it but Jamie Oliver presented it and was showing loads of kids who were losing their teeth, meeting dentists who were saying kids aren't just losing their milk teeth but their adult teeth as well by the time they are 14 years old- mostly due to sweet drinks such as coca cola.

The most staggering statistic on one of these programmes was that the amount of sugar an average person 100 years ago ate during their whole lifetime, is the same amount of sugar that an average person today has consumed by the time he or she is 8 years old. That's when it really hit me how much sweet foods are marketed for kids, I think even those labelled as "baby xyz" or "kids meals". At the school, I used to give out chocolates as treats but after seeing such programmes, I significantly cut down on that and gave them novelty stationery instead.

Whenever anyone wants to diet or live a healthier lifestyle and asks what they should eat: I tell them before changing the way you eat, change the way you drink first and get rid of these sweet drinks. Most sodas are very sugary, sugar free ones are artificial and most other soft drinks (even 'flavoured water' and some smoothies) have added sugar. We shouldn't have more than one glass of juice per day either and it should be freshly squeezed otherwise it loses vitamins very quickly. Also tea isn't bad but it's all the stuff we add to it that increases our sugar intake such as sugar in the tea, biscuits, chocolates, cakes or other treats which should be at least reduced if you can't give it all up straight away. Once that side of things is sorted- then take a look at what you eat.

Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X