"No Sugar" - Week 2 & Beyond.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fakhri-bin-Ali View Post

Okay... That's 28 days of detox for the body.
    inshaa'Allah, the more frequently, the better!

Hop back on whenever ready, sister - hopefully with not too big a break. 👍
    ​​​​​
    ​​​​​​

--------------
    Day 37 Alhamdulillaah.
    I have been doing days here and there. I am sugar free today. I am having guests coming over tomorrow so I will see what happens then. I am not like super skinny but I am thin and anytime I tell people I am sugar free and I act very strict about it they just seem to think I have some kind of eating disorder. I dont want people to be worried or think there is something wrong so if I am pushed I will eat some.

However I will try to hold out until my brother comes over. I won't care about anything I eat for the time he is staying.

Comment

• Originally posted by aelmo View Post

I have been doing days here and there. I am sugar free today. I am having guests coming over tomorrow so I will see what happens then. I am not like super skinny but I am thin and anytime I tell people I am sugar free and I act very strict about it they just seem to think I have some kind of eating disorder. I dont want people to be worried or think there is something wrong so if I am pushed I will eat some.

However I will try to hold out until my brother comes over. I won't care about anything I eat for the time he is staying.
      That reminds me, many years ago I went to a friend's house. That household love their indulgent foods- tbh so does my household but in moderation. Anyway my friend's brother brought round jalebis for everyone and their mum offered me some. At first I said no, then she asked again, so I said I'll have just a small piece, so I broke off a one inch piece of jalebi and ate that, at which point my friend's mum asked "are you dieting?". I said "no", but I'm thinking "no- I'm eating normally. You eat so much junk that eating normally looks like dieting to you". Sadly that's true in a lot of households.

Most of my friend's family are quite overweight, consume a lot of deep fried food and unhealthy drinks and my friend's dad became diabetic in his 30s. One time I asked him why he was eating something quite sweet even though he's diabetic and he shrugged it off saying it's okay, I'll just take a double dose of my meds. That's literally the worst possible way of dealing with a condition like that. Recent studies are suggesting that appropriate dietary precautions can cause people to literally reverse the diagnosis so that they'd no longer be diabetic- but many people live to eat rather than eat to live. I admit I can't entirely give up indulgent or sweet foods but am making an effort to cut down- I don't know if that'll reverse my prediabetes but at the very least inshaAllah I hope and pray that it prevents this condition from turning into full blown diabetes and this has helped me discipline myself a bit more in my eating habits.

My point is that if guests make an issue of you not eating sugar you should tell them that avoiding sugar is the right way to eat and they're so accustomed to unhealthy habits that they're not even aware of what healthy eating habits are. Then again, I'm less afraid of being blunt and offending people who make inappropriate comments than most.
      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

• Originally posted by neelu View Post

My point is that if guests make an issue of you not eating sugar you should tell them that avoiding sugar is the right way to eat and they're so accustomed to unhealthy habits that they're not even aware of what healthy eating habits are. Then again, I'm less afraid of being blunt and offending people who make inappropriate comments than most.

So rude, though!

(😂)

That could start a family feud to last generations!
        ​​Your du'aa... Always dear, always needed (Jazaa'akumullah Khair.)

Comment

• My mum is practically evangelical about these health issues. I think she gets away with it cos' she's diabetic and elder though. She drew the line when it came to my grandmother- mum never told her off about her eating habits and just said to me at that age people are set in their ways etc, but with people her age or younger she does correct them on these issues and points out that these habits are the reason why we have an epidemic of diabetes and heart conditions in our community- which is true. One time she (politely) told her friend off for bringing round a box of celebrations lol.

Mum also gets away with it cos she's an amazing cook, so if she serves roti/rice and haandi to her guests, everyone loves it and no one even notices that it's a healthier version than those households who put a whole block of anchor butter in the pan.

Comment

• Day 39. Alhamdulillaah.

Comment

• My guests didn't make a big deal of it and through that it was good that I don't eat a lot of sugar but I ate a cookie anyway because she offered and I wanted to be a good sport.

Yesterday we had a picnic at school and some kids got me sweets to eat during the picnic so I couldn't say no to the babies. The kids are off now and I don't plan on having other guests so I will try to hold out until my brother comes inshallah.

Comment

• Day 40, Alhamdulillaah.

Yesterday, I actually picked up a dark chocolate lindor (?) that was lying on the kitchen worktop and wondered if there was a remote possibility it had no sugar. 😂

Comment

• You can get sugar free chocolate these days. I've tried a couple of brands. Trust me, the usual famous dark chocolate brands (lindt, green and blacks, bourneville, supermarket own brands etc) all have sugar in them.

There are two types of sugar free chocolate: i) are sugar free chocolates like montzuma (and hotel chocolat also sell sugar free chocolate truffles). Due to the absence of sugar, the montzuma in particular tastes soooooo bitter. When I tried it, I understood why people in the Americas originally used chocolate for savoury dishes. It is a bitterness comparible to espresso coffee. I could tolerate adding a tiny bit of it to something sweet such as putting a bit of the chocolate on a pancake as it'll add a touch of chocolatey flavour and texture and the sweetness of the pancake would balance out the bitterness, but I couldn't eat a piece of this sort of sugar free chocolate on its own. As for the hotel chocolat, it's more like a very dark chocolate truffle. I tried it some years ago but the absence of sweetness put me off. Now that my diet is more low sugar, I think I'd tolerate it better and would like to try it again one day inshaAllah. It has more of a smoothness and good texture to it which is nice and makes up a bit for the lack of sweetness.

ii) the other type of sugar free chocolate are the types that add other sweeteners to compensate for the lack of sugar. I think one brand is called 'ritter' or something. With these you have to watch out for what they substitute the sugar with. If it's a natural product like stevia, then that's okay. I've heard people say inulin is okay too- I've tried a chocolate containing inulin and it tastes okay but quite different from sugar so don't expect these to taste the same as what you're used to. If the chocolate contains dodgy artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, nutra sweet etc- then avoid at all costs.

I should add a caveat: I've heard a theory that stuff like stevia is not good for diabetics because it tastes sweet so it can send a signal to the brain that the body contains sugar and cause the body to react as if it's consumed sugar even though it hasn't and this can theoretically have an adverse effect (this theory hasn't yet been proven). What I did with some sweet dishes (such as ice lollies) is that I halved the amount of sugar I normally used in the dessert and used stevia to compensate for it. That way I taste the full amount of sweetness, but by using only half the amount of sugar. Obviously not a good idea for a sugar free diet but if like me, someone finds going completely sugar free too difficult, then this is a viable way of cutting down over time with the aim of adjusting and reducing sugar intake gradually as well as gradually adjusting to the taste of sugar free sweet dishes.
                  Last edited by neelu; 12-12-21, 09:56 PM. Reason: I wrote "chocolate" instead of "sugar" in the second line

Comment

• Ah well... It's a reset.
                    ​​​​​​
                    After 40 days.
                    Had a few very small cupcakes that were lying about in the kitchen... A chocolate bar as well.

We go again.

Day 1 was done today. Alhamdulillaah.

Comment

Ah well... It's a reset.
                      ​​​​​​
                      After 40 days.
                      Had a few very small cupcakes that were lying about in the kitchen... A chocolate bar as well.

We go again.

MashaAllah well done.

I still can't go no sugar completely but am on a very very low sugar diet There have been times where several days in a row I have gone without sugar.

Comment

• Day 3. Alhamdulillaah.

Comment

Ah well... It's a reset.
                          ​​​​​​
                          After 40 days.

We go again.

You did good either way. Im afraid it's just not going to happen for me now. After my brother leaves I will 100% do better but because I have time off now people are throwing things at me every direction I turn.

Im not totally neglecting my health though. The other day I ran 3 km outside. Not on a treadmill like I usually do and I really didn't realize how much more difficult it is to run in real life. I was going to do 5 km but by the time I did 3 I felt like I was going to faint so I had to stop. But my legs still feel like they are going to split open so it was definitely effective and I walked over 15000 steps today outside in kind of hot weather so yaaay me!

But yes I am already getting disgusted of sugar again so I will get back on this as soon as things settle down again.

Comment

• One of my favourite gluten free meals is cannelloni but the recipe involves adding sugar to make the tomato sauce sweeter. I've recently bought a different brand of tomato sauce that's without sugar and although the cannelloni still tastes good- it's SOOOOOO different and it's not what I'd call my favourite dish when it's like this. I still think it's a nice vegetarian dish, good enough to want to have again. Interesting to experiment with how it is without the sugar- made me realise how much sugar made a difference to the taste of the overall dish.

Comment

• Not really been able to take off this time... After six days or so I accepted some dessert offered and had a few other things... Lacking some competition. A bit of extra motivation.

Right. Target set. Going 100 days inshaa'Allah, from today.

Anything less and I accept any reasonable punishment assigned for failure by anyone who has done more than twenty consecutive days!
                              Last edited by Fakhri-bin-Ali; 23-12-21, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• ^I think it's pretty amazing that you've kept this up as long as you have. I can't imagine doing it. I'm struggling to cut down any further from where I'm at. Might eventually be able to reduce my sugar/honey consumption in tea but still use ketchup (which contains sugar) on my gluten free fish fingers and burgers (sugar free ketchup contains aspartame and too much vinegar).

Good news though, I've found a good alternative for burger buns. I used to buy gluten free brioche buns but they contain about a teaspoon of sugar per bun. I did this cos most ordinary gluten free buns were rubbish, but I've found a different brand of gluten free soft roll that's just right for my burgers and is very low in sugar (sugar is a normal part of the bread making process to activate the yeast- only soda bread or flatbreads like roti don't require sugar to rise).

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X