No announcement yet.

"No Sugar" - Week 2 & Beyond.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a couple of small slices of Strawberry Cheesecake a week ago at Iftar... From the local cakebox. It was very sweet as expected. Not much 'cake' though... Seemed like a very thin biscuit base and almost all chocolate and cream.

That's probably my share of sugar done for the next 6 months pretty much. (inshaa'Allah)
    ​​Your du'aa... Always dear, always needed (Jazaa'akumullah Khair.)

Comment

• Originally posted by aelmo View Post
      I really should cut out sugar again but I just don't want too.

I have such a sweet tooth so its hard to give it up but my body really feels terrible after I eat it. Such a dilemma.
      I know how you feel. I'm prediabetic now so really should cut out sugar altogether but just haven't been able to. So far managed to cut down my sugar intake and cut down on deep fried foods but it doesn't feel like I've gone far enough. Then again I have to see what I can manage day to day and any attempts to go cold turkey have not only failed but pushed me into wanting even more sweet stuff so that really backfires.
      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

• Originally posted by neelu View Post

I know how you feel. I'm prediabetic now so really should cut out sugar altogether but just haven't been able to. So far managed to cut down my sugar intake and cut down on deep fried foods but it doesn't feel like I've gone far enough. Then again I have to see what I can manage day to day and any attempts to go cold turkey have not only failed but pushed me into wanting even more sweet stuff so that really backfires.
        Diabetes runs on both sides of my family so I really need to watch myself. I can never fully take it away but sometimes I get those sugar free cookies just to curb cravings but as soon as o have really sugar again I’m completely addicted.

the sugar free and keto type things aren’t too bad though. It’s just too much effort and money to bother with it

Comment

• I completely avoid sugar free and diet products. My mum's diabetes magazines used to advise against them. Most of them are gimmicks and most are unhealthy. Most of the time they use artificial sweeteners which are even more unhealthy than sugar. Instead I try to cut my intake of actual sugar. Sometimes I use honey or stevia which is a natural sweetener and a little goes a long way, but it only tastes right in some dishes and not others. It helps though because if I make mango lassi ice lollies, then instead of using sugar to make it sweeter, I can halve the amount of sugar and compensate for the other half with the mango and stevia and it tastes fine it doesn't lack any sweetness or taste.

Comment

• Originally posted by neelu View Post
            Does anyone know where I can get good Yemeni Sidr Honey? I'm trying to cut down my intake of refined sugars gradually and found that I can get away with using a very tiny amount of honey in my tea instead of sugar.

I can't go completely cold turkey on sugar all at once.
            Sr Layla_
            Anything...?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fakhri-bin-Ali View Post

Sr Layla_
              Anything...?
              There’s the Palestinian shop on cov road (I know sis isn’t from Birmingham but this is a good shop) and online there’s Islamic impressions and loteandco.

neelu
              https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

• Day 1

Starting again. Allowed myself a little too much on Eid, with everyone bringing their home-baked cakes and deserts.

Comment

Day 1

Starting again. Allowed myself a little too much on Eid, with everyone bringing their home-baked cakes and deserts.
                  Well done for getting as far as you did and well done for not giving up after indulging on Eid. Some people have a slip up day or week and then think it's all over and give up- it's great that you're still persevering with it.

I still can't completely go sugar free but have cut my sugar intake over time as I'm prediabetic. Alhamdullilah my last blood test results turned out to be quite good so hope that my precautions can inshaAllah prevent that from getting any worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by islamuslim View Post
                    It's been a year and a half since I stopped putting sugar in my coffee. I tried black coffee for a few days but it was too bitter for me and it almost made me start hating coffee altogether.

It's also been a week since I stopped eating sugar. I haven't had any cravings so far alhamdulillah.
                    This only lasted 3 weeks..

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210521_004444.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	12774320
                    Allah's Messenger ﷺ said, "Allah said, 'O son of Adam! Spend, and I shall spend on you."

https://www.crisisaid.org.uk/appeals/yemen/

Comment

• Day 5. Alhamdulillah.

Sr neelu thanks for the encouragement. Everyone around me has been over-indulging lately so good to get a bit of a nod in the right direction. Alhamdulillaah, I was happy to read about the blood test results. (inshaaAllah, I hope very much that it does).

...It was my 15 year old neice's cake on Eid to begin with. I think she'd put less sugar in it on purpose and it wasn't being eaten with all the other things there. I have a soft spot for her maybe a little more than some of my other nephews and nieces (and she's always extra happy to see me and her other uncles). She seemed a bit disappointed that it wasn't being appreciated so much so I thought I may as well take two or three extra, extra large slices... And it would actually taste as good as any cake to me anyway so I'd be able to give her some genuine appreciation.

But then, I'd eaten that so I got the 'you've eaten that so have ours as well'... I couldn't really say no either, with it being Eid, so I went about stuffing my face with whatever was offered.
                      ​​​​​​
                      We had stuff left over as well in the fridge that needed finishing in the days that followed, too, and I'd filled the freezer with all sorts of ice creams as well, in anticipation of everyone being here, so I then allowed myself a little too many of those for a couple of days.

Alhamdulillaah, I've tasted what it feels like to be sugar free for a good length of time and there's no comparison. It was a little bit tougher to get going at the beginning this time since the challenge element isn't there so much, but I know for sure which I'd rather be doing...
                      Last edited by Fakhri-bin-Ali; 23-05-21, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• Day 7 Alhamdulillaah.

Comment

• ten_toes

These are the crazy, I mean well informed and cleansed from the evil white dust that is just disgusting people I was talking to you about

All the best with the new path
                          'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Day 7 Alhamdulillaah.
                            Fakhri, we have a new candidate on your thread
                            don't be harsh on her please because she doesn't know I've put her name forward but it's for a good cause

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

• (I have to admit - even though I started the thread - I haven't been as strict as Br Fakhri).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

Fakhri, we have a new candidate on your thread
                                don't be harsh on her please because she doesn't know I've put her name forward but it's for a good cause

Welcome, welcome. The more the merrier... Sr indefinable is the boss here, though.
                                ​​​​​

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X