"No Sugar" - Week 2 & Beyond.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by neelu View Post
    my real difficulty is in cutting out sugar from my tea. Most days the only sugar I have is the sugar in my tea and one or two ajwa dates. Occasionally every few days I have a bit of dark chocolate as well (10g or less). I use muscavado sugar- I guess if I'm going to have sugar it's better to have an unprocessed one and on a typical day the only time I have sugar in anything is that cup of tea. So far I've reduced my intake of sugar to about one third of a teaspoon in my tea, but as I'm prediabetic, I keep thinking I should try to reduce it further over time inshaAllah. I seem to really need the ajwa date even if it's just one or two a day but hope that the fibre content help offset it and make it a bit less of a GI spike.

I can't do anything about my carb addiction. I have too many food intolerances that I can't really alter what's in most of my meals and I have food intolerances to nuts, pulses, most vegetables and almost all fruits except very few. That means reducing carbs just isn't feasible.
    How is sister's health at the moment in general? I know some months back - maybe a year or so ago (lost track since this covid situation began) - there were a few posts on here that seemed quite worrying... I hope things are manageable and that they improve at least somewhat bi-ithnillahi Ta'aalaa.
    ​​Your du'aa... Always dear, always needed (Jazaa'akumullah Khair.)

Comment

• Day 81 Alhamdulillaah.

A couple of days ago I bought a chocolate gateau along with a brunch of chocolate since we were having a few people over (and their kids)... The first time in ages I was actually thinking for a brief moment should I just have slice to not be the odd one out... Felt a bit like I'd bought some poison for everyone else but was saving myself from it.
      Last edited by Fakhri-bin-Ali; 02-03-21, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fakhri-bin-Ali View Post

How is sister's health at the moment in general? I know some months back - maybe a year or so ago (lost track since this covid situation began) - there were a few posts on here that seemed quite worrying... I hope things are manageable and that they improve at least somewhat bi-ithnillahi Ta'aalaa.
        JazakAllah khayr for asking. I've been battling serious health problems for about 14 years now during which I've been largely dependent on my parents for most things. I spent years and thousands of pounds on various treatments, some of which reduced some symptoms but I'm still housebound, too ill to work at all, largely reliant on my parents. Alhamdullilah we manage most of the time. My parents are always anxious about what would happen to me when they are no longer around. I try not to think about that because it is a problem that none of us can resolve. The chances of recovery are very slim- the chances of being able to live independently and look after myself are even slimmer than that. This has gone on so many years that for the most part I'm used to it now- sometimes it gets to me, other times I don't dwell on it.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Day 81 Alhamdulillaah.

A couple of days ago I bought a chocolate gateau along with a brunch of chocolate since we were having a few people over (and their kids)... The first time in ages I was actually thinking for a brief moment should I just have slice to not be the odd one out... Felt a bit like I'd bought some poison for everyone else but was saving myself from it.

Day 86. Alhamdulillaah.

Not too happy I had to have something with a lot of sugar in it as it would have gone in the bin otherwise. The last time I'm getting something like that if people won't finish it.

Ah.... I'm just going to continue on to 'day 87' since I had no interest or enjoyment in eating it, and only did so to avoid being culpable for wasting food.

Comment

• Sooo.
            https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

• I coincidentally didnt eat sugar for half a day, then realised that and decided i will avoid sugar like this thread says, unless i have pasta or bread, i thought id avoid biscuits, sweets, crisps, chocolates, and i was, and then i was about to order food, and accidentally ordered a whole waffle with my meal. didnt realise until i was about to eat. i want to give up biscuits though.

Comment

• Originally posted by usernametaken View Post
                I coincidentally didnt eat sugar for half a day, then realised that and decided i will avoid sugar like this thread says, unless i have pasta or bread, i thought id avoid biscuits, sweets, crisps, chocolates, and i was, and then i was about to order food, and accidentally ordered a whole waffle with my meal. didnt realise until i was about to eat. i want to give up biscuits though.
                Go for it, sister, if not completely, then really try to cut down and remove any 'dependancy' on these things. For myself, the psychological aspect of not feeling any need for these things, Alhamdulillaah, by His Kindness, has really been a very positive thing - that's without mentioning the other benefits.

-------------

Day 89. Alhamdulillaah.

Comment

Go for it, sister, if not completely, then really try to cut down and remove any 'dependancy' on these things. For myself, the psychological aspect of not feeling any need for these things, Alhamdulillaah, by His Kindness, has really been a very positive thing - that's without mentioning the other benefits.

-------------

Day 89. Alhamdulillaah.

Insha Allah I will try it again. Plus I'm hopeful it will help with insomnia.

Comment

• Day 91, Alhamdulillaah.
                    ​​​

Comment

• I'm ashamed to say my last attempt has resulted in a miserable failure. I restarted on the third of this month so I'm only at 13 days. Fortunately, I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms, I guess giving up caffeine a month prior made it easier to give up. I just cry a little every time I drive by a Dunkin Donuts (I miss their hot coffee). I just wish rice was zero calorie, being healthy would be much easier if it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abisali View Post
                        I'm ashamed to say my last attempt has resulted in a miserable failure. I restarted on the third of this month so I'm only at 13 days. Fortunately, I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms, I guess giving up caffeine a month prior made it easier to give up. I just cry a little every time I drive by a Dunkin Donuts (I miss their hot coffee). I just wish rice was zero calorie, being healthy would be much easier if it was.
                        MaashaaAllah.

Alhamdulillaah.

13 days is great, brother. Keep it up. 💪

When passing the Dunkin donuts just think of your organs thanking you for sparing them!

Comment

MaashaaAllah.

Alhamdulillaah.

13 days is great, brother. Keep it up. 💪

When passing the Dunkin donuts just think of your organs thanking you for sparing them!
                          Actually, I think of my death and how the people will struggle to lift me in order to prepare me for burial. It makes it easier to drive by.

Thank you for the encouragement though! My organs do appreciate it. I think they enjoy all the water I’m drinking these days.

Comment

Actually, I think of my death and how the people will struggle to lift me in order to prepare me for burial. It makes it easier to drive by.

Thank you for the encouragement though! My organs do appreciate it. I think they enjoy all the water I’m drinking these days.
                            bro what you said is deep tbh, i mean its good to self refect but we also need action if we wnat our situation to change

i also want to lose weight but i cant do any physical actitives whatsoever due to my health

what really helped me lose weight was having black coffee combined with intermittent fastiong, doing OMAD (one meal a day) and also the warrior diet which basically is having 4 hour eatinb window and not eating for 20 hours and having a 20 hour fasting window where you can only have zero calories drinks like water, coffee, tea without sugar and milk etc

trust me when i first started having black coffee i hated it but you just get accustomed to it,
                            i mean its mind over matter when youre dedicated and put your mind to it you can achieve anything bi'idnillah

looking back in hindsight, its like i wasnt eating and only gaining physical benefits,
                            i shouldve kept islamic fasts instead where i wouldve also gained ajr and spiritual benefits too

anyways bro let me know if youre up for it in sha Allah

Comment

• Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

bro what you said is deep tbh, i mean its good to self refect but we also need action if we wnat our situation to change

i also want to lose weight but i cant do any physical actitives whatsoever due to my health

what really helped me lose weight was having black coffee combined with intermittent fastiong, doing OMAD (one meal a day) and also the warrior diet which basically is having 4 hour eatinb window and not eating for 20 hours and having a 20 hour fasting window where you can only have zero calories drinks like water, coffee, tea without sugar and milk etc

trust me when i first started having black coffee i hated it but you just get accustomed to it,
                              i mean its mind over matter when youre dedicated and put your mind to it you can achieve anything bi'idnillah

looking back in hindsight, its like i wasnt eating and only gaining physical benefits,
                              i shouldve kept islamic fasts instead where i wouldve also gained ajr and spiritual benefits too

anyways bro let me know if youre up for it in sha Allah
                              I’m actually doing one meal a day! No breakfast or lunch. The only snack I might have is one or two pickles which may be 1-10 calories each. I am doing very low calorie, below 1k a day. Some may say that’s too low, but as big as I am, I can handle it.

For the first two weeks, I allowed myself shredded wheat cereal in order to ease into the diet and now I’m only allowing steel cut oats when it comes to grains. No rice, bread, pasta, nothing made from any grains but for the oats, which is low enough calories.

Islamic fasting is ideal but I’ll start it after Ramadan, for now, I don’t want to do too much and get discouraged. Eventually, I think I’d like to do Ramadan type of fasts much more often, like 3-5 days a week just because I want to be a better Muslim and because it helps with self control and discipline. I also need the hasanat.

Comment

I’m actually doing one meal a day! No breakfast or lunch. The only snack I might have is one or two pickles which may be 1-10 calories each. I am doing very low calorie, below 1k a day. Some may say that’s too low, but as big as I am, I can handle it.

For the first two weeks, I allowed myself shredded wheat cereal in order to ease into the diet and now I’m only allowing steel cut oats when it comes to grains. No rice, bread, pasta, nothing made from any grains but for the oats, which is low enough calories.

Islamic fasting is ideal but I’ll start it after Ramadan, for now, I don’t want to do too much and get discouraged. Eventually, I think I’d like to do Ramadan type of fasts much more often, like 3-5 days a week just because I want to be a better Muslim and because it helps with self control and discipline. I also need the hasanat.
                                maybe fast mondays and thursdays? and then do OMAD in between

my advice from personal experience would be dont deprive yourself from too much too soon, work yourself into it gradually

i do find that sometimes changing it up can also help boost weight loss, as in having a different routine here and there,
                                like OMAD for a week then warrior diet for a few days etc etc, when i used to do IF i used to listen to what my body was telling me

personally when i do OMAD i eat whatever i wnat and i still lose weight Alhamdulillah,
                                main thing for me has to be the hot drinks, i find it hard not to put sugar in my tea and coffee and tbh i just dont feel like honey is a good enough subsitute as i end up having to put in way too much

do you drink hot drinks? try out black coffee

my sisters did intermittent fasting after seeing how much i lost in a short amount of time but she only lost a few pound sin about three weeks, which imo is nothing so i chatted to her and came to my personal conclusion that it was the black coffee that helped burn more calories, as it is a good fat burner

i mean if you look into most of these fat burners that they sell in the fitness/bodybuilding world they mostly contain caffeine and green tea and i dontt hink thats a coincidence

btw ive been thinking about this, regardles to if its ramadhan fasting, qaza, nafl or even just IF at the end of the day we're near enough guaranteed a meal,
                                imagine those poor souls who dont have anything and its a daily routine for them and imagine our nabi sallahu alayhi wa salaam tying stones on his blessed stomach out of the pain of hunger subhanAllah may Allah swt forgive us Ameen

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X