Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neelu
    replied
    Does anyone know of a good sugar free (and artificial sweetener free) or at least low sugar tonic water brand? Tonic water contains quinine which is good for certain joint pain issues I'm having these days, but it also often contains quite a bit of sugar to balance out the bitterness of the quinine. These days sugar free and low sugar brands tend to have artificial sweeteners which I'm trying to avoid, but I don't mind natural sweeteners such as stevia, maple syrup or honey.

Originally posted by ummu-youssef View Post
    So helpful mashallah... yesterday I started to use Stevia instead of sugar. I use it for tea and to bake. Who knows stevia?
    Yes I've tried stevia, although I have health problems and food intolerances so had a bit of a reaction to it, but taste wise it's not bad. I couldn't completely replace my sugar with stevia, but in some dishes and desserts I've managed to really cut down the amount of sugar I use by replacing half the sugar with stevia instead and it still tastes good. Stevia seems to work well in coffee but I wouldn't use it in some types of baking because of the alchemy involved in using sugar- you can't replace that with stevia when it comes to things like meringues or cakes (though might work in other ways).

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri-bin-Ali
    replied
    Lot of cakes and donuts and sweet foods around lately. Was offered cake that I didn't want to turn down and disappoint someone in doing so.. If it hadn't been for this thread and the thought of going against it I might have just taken a very small slice.

Leave a comment:

• ummu-youssef
    replied
    So helpful mashallah... yesterday I started to use Stevia instead of sugar. I use it for tea and to bake. Who knows stevia?

Leave a comment:

• aelmo
    replied
    Day 18

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri-bin-Ali
    replied
    Day 18. Alhamdulillaah.

Leave a comment:

• aelmo
    replied
    Day 17

i had unsweetened açaí this morning. It wasn’t as good as the sweetened stuff but I managed.

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri-bin-Ali
    replied
    Day 16. Alhamdulillaah.
    I thought I'd managed to escape the cold that everyone else seems to have at the moment, but I was wrong.
    Only minor, though.

Felt like a could do with a cup of tea - first time in a year, maybe longer - but realised there was nothing to sweeten it with. Only the dodgy supermarket honey. The proper stuff had run out a while back and none of us had bothered to get any more.

Leave a comment:

• aelmo
    replied
    Day 16 👍🏻

I am eating chips 🙂

once again I am eating less now. Like I eat at 6:30 in the morning and then the next time I eat is at 4. But I have been way too tired to go to the gym this week so I know I’m not burning as many calories. So it all balances out in the end

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri-bin-Ali
    replied
    Day 14 almost over... Have to report I did bite into something that wasn't meant to have sugar... Only told right after that it did. I ate it instead of throwing it away. A very, small, thin slice of something. Must've had a very small amount of sugar and wasn't intentional so not counting that.

Leave a comment:

• aelmo
    replied
    Day 14 is alright.

I am just very hungry now and its making me tired. I don't like to snack. I think I mentioned this before but I need to eat real meals. This doesn't have anything to do with not eating sugar but since we are on the topic of eating...

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied
    ^Pizza topping tomato sauce often contains sugar. A lot of convenience foods do. That's probably why we like them. I find it difficult to avoid.

Leave a comment:

• Umm Uthmaan
    replied
    I ate pizza today...

Leave a comment:

• aelmo
    replied
    Day 13 is going good.

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri-bin-Ali
    replied
    On day 12. Alhamdulillaah. Going smoothly.

Leave a comment:

• Fakhri-bin-Ali
    replied
    Originally posted by aelmo View Post
    Day 11 is going good. I feel I’m starting to get back in the groove now. I went to the gym 3 times this week so far. That’s usually my goal but I never end up doing it.

I also just feel like eating fruit now. Not cake or anything. Just fruits.

also despite what I thought, I actually didn’t gain any weight when I was eating sugar. I really thought I did but apparently not. Very interesting.
    👍
    Alhamdulillaah.

Yeah. As long as there's fruit in the kitchen, everything's good.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X