Intermittent Fasting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neelu View Post
    I've heard of it, but I'm too ill to fast at all. haven't been able to fast since 2007.

This type of fasting is different to the typical fasting we do during Ramadhaan.

With IF, you can drink water, green/black tea and coffee (unsweetened, and no milk/creamer).

During Ramadhaan, we obviously don't eat or drink, so this is a bit more manageable for every day life. But I can understand if you're on meds and need to take them with food. Then it's a bit tricky.

I've seen some women start of with 12:12 - so 12 hours eating window and 12 hours 'fasting' window. And then gradually move onto 16:8, then 18:6.

The reason I'm pro-IF is because, there's a lot of health benefits to it. It lowers blood sugar levels, turns on autophagy, increases mental clarity, stabilises blood pressure.

Look into if you can - if not I can PM you some info if you'd like In Sha Allaah.

Comment

Originally posted by Abisali View Post

From my reading, intermittent fasting is basically what we do during Ramadan, just with healthier food. I lost 60 pounds in about 4 months eating only twice a day, and giving up all sugar (including fruit except for a half cup of blueberries a day), grains (wheat, oats barley, rice), dairy and anything with high carbohydrates (potatoes). So basically all I had was mostly green veggies, meat, chicken, eggs, and shirataki noodles(aka miracle noodles, made from Japanese konjac root, not tofu).

I fell off the band wagon and need to get back on the diet, and need to start exercising. Please make dua'a for me.
      Yeah, it's a bit like Ramadhaan, with the timings etc, but with IF you can drink water and tea/coffee etc. Why not give it a go?

That's a lot of progress (the 60 pounds).

InSha Allaah, exercising is always a motivating factor to eating healthier.

There's a lot of vids on YT, have a look at what suits you. Start the day with exercise though. It's always better to do it in the morning in my opinion.

Look into HIIT sessions.

If you can do it once - then you can definitely do it again In Sha Allaah. Just have your 'goal' in your mind at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

im going to start in a few weeks time InshaAllah
        No time like the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post

Well done! Keep it up. How's it going? What are your hours?
          16:8 I'm still going!

Comment

No time like the present.
            nows not a good time tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

nows not a good time tbh
              Alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

it has similar benefits as green tea but better and it tastes the same (imo):

different flavours available, I've only tried original (from local supermarket)

https://bluebirdteaco.com/uk_en/cocoa-matcha-30g.html
                matchasource.com/health-benefits-of-matcha-tea/

I love seeded bread with boiled egg or avocado

my original goal was to get stronger because I'm a weak little chicken so I suppose that's akin to gaining muscles and energy (have you checked out muslimbodybuilding website?

I'm not too interested in making changes any time soon, a little apprehensive about it, I say it's a wrist problem but it's a whole hand problem that could be connected to tendon, just waiting to see (GP is always a last resort because they are tight with making referrals and this has been ongoing problem for me that I've been wishing would just go away)
                He said it's not carpal tunnel syndrome, could be arthritis but I hope it heals even though it's been over a year

sorry for going off topic lol

Jazak Allah hu khair

How's your wrist now?

Comment

It's not difficult at all - most people do IF without even realising it.

Say for example your eating window is 12-6pm, and you work out in the evening at 7-8pm, you won't really feel the hunger pangs, as you can drink as much water as you want to, and sleep thereafter.

Although tbh it is better to work out during your fasting period.

Most people I know who are into losing fat and gaining muscle just eat a lot more protein in their eating window.

As with anything - it's better to stick it out for at least 6 weeks before giving up.

Ironically, since this thread, I've pretty much been doing intermittent fasting seeing as a little spell of ilnness has meant I've not been eating much at all. Haven't been thinking about exercise and gym at all, either...

6 weeks

(!)

I'd like to say I intend to give it a proper try some time soon, but if I'm honest, I don't really see it. Maybe when I try to trim down again next, inshaa'Allah. Even then I would probably workout during the feeding window because of the less than positive experience I had previously.

​​​​​​If I was doing circuit training, HIIT, Crossfit type training, I think I'd be a lot more tempted.

(Alhamdulillah. Good thread. Will be nice to see others trying it and posting their experiences, inshaa'Allah.)
                  LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
                  -------------------------------
                  "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
                  NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri View Post

Ironically, since this thread, I've pretty much been doing intermittent fasting seeing as a little spell of ilnness has meant I've not been eating much at all. Haven't been thinking about exercise and gym at all, either...

6 weeks

(!)

I'd like to say I intend to give it a proper try some time soon, but if I'm honest, I don't really see it. Maybe when I try to trim down again next, inshaa'Allah. Even then I would probably workout during the feeding window because of the less than positive experience I had previously.

​​​​​​If I was doing circuit training, HIIT, Crossfit type training, I think I'd be a lot more tempted.

(Alhamdulillah. Good thread. Will be nice to see others trying it and posting their experiences, inshaa'Allah.)
                    It's not for everyone.

I know some people who are content with three big meals a day, others who have smaller six meals, without any time restrictions.

It's better to stick to what makes you comfortable and work out whenever it's easier.

Brother AbuNajm did a 5 1/2 day water fast - I don't think I would be able to do that. Seems intense. But then again, we don't know our capabilities unless we give it a try.

Comment

Any change with my food intake would be for this reason

What do you eat for the four hours, protein based food?

Have you tried macha tea? Comes in chocolate and vanilla flavour
                      I managed to get some Matcha Tea - tasted pretty good, a lot of vibrant flavours infused together.

I didn't get the 'pure' matcha - it was Lean Matcha Green Tea with 'organic blend of oolong, cinnamon, ginger and fennel'.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmaa19 View Post

16:8 I'm still going!
                        Still going...?

Comment

How's your wrist now?
                          at the moment still the same
                          'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

one change has taken place in my life

I've put on weight (becoming a full on aunty now)
                            I saw it coming but thought I could get away with it because of my previous years - I know, slobbish attitude

I miss being a 'stick'- R.I.P

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

Comment

I managed to get some Matcha Tea - tasted pretty good, a lot of vibrant flavours infused together.

I didn't get the 'pure' matcha - it was Lean Matcha Green Tea with 'organic blend of oolong, cinnamon, ginger and fennel'.
                              what brand did you get? and did you get it online?

the pure one tastes the same as normal green tea imo

Comment

one change has taken place in my life

I've put on weight (becoming a full on aunty now)
                                I saw it coming but thought I could get away with it because of my previous years - I know, slobbish attitude

I miss being a 'stick'- R.I.P

Lol. Being a stick isn't all that - It's good to be healthy weight. Get an anti-burst gym ball. You can do so much with it, and it's fun.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X