Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Exclamation Personal Hygiene In Islam

Question: Health andHygiene in Islam: Etiquette & Practices

I am not a Muslim. I am a nursing student who is conducting a small amount of research on Islam for the sake of an assignment. I am interested in knowing the health needs of Muslims and also certain practices such as washing and praying.

Could anyone please help me with these questions?

Answer

Although your question is a bit general, I shall try to answer your query to the best of my understanding, and if there are any areas you had in mind that I did not cover, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hygiene and cleanliness in the various domains of human life (material, spiritual, etc.) are strongly emphasised in Islam, and in each and every aspect a Muslim is encouraged to implement them. This emphasis is stretched to the extent that adhering to hygiene and cleanliness sometime becomes compulsory upon the Muslim, and in other occasions desirable (i.e. not compulsory but one is encouraged).

Some of the aspects of concern are as follows:

Personal Hygiene:

Certain aspects of personal hygiene are important and compulsory such that they are pre-requisite to performing such duties as prayers, fasting etc. For example one must do ablution (Wudhu, to use the Islamic term) before the daily prayers, which is the formal washing of the face, hands and forearms, etc. but a pre-requisite to this is the cleanliness of the body. One of the criteria for cleanliness is washing after the use of the lavatories. Any traces of urine or faeces must be eliminated by washing with water, at least. The use of toilet tissues for cleaning is not sufficient.

A formal head-to-toe washing and rinsing, known as Ghusl, is mandatory upon the couple after sexual intercourse, or after ejaculation in the case of men, and after the end of the monthly menstruation period or the postpartum period in the case of women. If one does not perform such mandatory Ghusls no form of any prayers etc. will be valid. A Muslim is even prohibited from reading the Qur’an, if s/he is required to perform such a Ghusl but has not done so.

{If one is required to perform Ghusl but cannot find the water to do so, one is required to perform Tayammum, which is to strike the palms of both hands on earth, or sand to wipe them over the face and the back of the hands.}

A Ghusl must also be performed for the body of the deceased before burial. Anyone who comes in contact with a dead body must also perform a Ghusl.

There are other Ghusls which are not mandatory but Muslims are encouraged to do, such as Friday Ghusl, first-day-of-the-month Ghusl, Ghusls for the Eids and various other occasions, etc.

With such emphasis on washing and personal hygiene, adhering to the practical teaching of Islam on washing would enhance personal hygiene for the individual and therefore reduce the chance of disease and sickness individually, and subsequently for the whole society.

The clothing one wears must also be free from any unclean substance, otherwise one’s prayer for instance will be invalid if the prayer is performed using those cloths. So if only one drop of urine is splashed on the cloths, then those cloths may not be worn to perform the prayers unless washed.

Examples of unclean substances:

• Urine,
    • Faeces,
    • Semen,
    • Dead body,
    • Blood,
    • (Wet contact with) Dog,
    • (Wet contact with) Pig,
    • (Wet contact with) Non-believer,
    • Wine,
    • Beer,
    • An animal that persistently eats unclean substances such as excrement.
    The cleaning ‘agents’ or ‘process’ are such things as:
    1. Water,
    2. Earth,
    3. Exposure to direct Sunlight,
    4. Transformation of the substance from one state to another,
    5. Removal of original unclean substance, etc.
    Food & Drink

There are some restriction on the consumption of certain items of food and drink.

The consumption of any amount of anything that is intoxicant is not allowed. Therefore the consumption of any alcoholic drink is forbidden. Also if any food or drink contains a minute amount of alcohol, then it becomes unfit for Muslim consumption.

The consumption of the meat of certain common animals such pig, rabbit, etc. is not allowed. Also if animals such as sheep, cow, chicken, etc. are not slaughtered according the prescribed Islamic way, i.e. in Halaal way, then the consumption of such meat is also unfit for the Muslim. Furthermore, if any ‘allowed’ food is contaminated by food which is not allowed, then that food also becomes unfit for Muslim consumption. Fish that does not have scales is also not fit for consumption, and only the fish does have scales on its body, such as Salmon, Trout, Grey Mullet, etc. are considered to be fit for consumption.

Fasting during the Holy month of Ramadahn is another tradition that must be observed by the Muslim. This is not only beneficial from the physical health point of view, but it is highly uplifting from the mental and spiritual viewpoints. Fasting constitutes refraining from any eating, drinking or even smoking (for those who smoke) during the ‘day’. The period that one must refrain from such and other practices is from ‘Dawn break’, which is approximately two hours before sunrise, until just after Sunset. When one is fasting, s/he must also refrain from any sexual activity with partner. Spiritually, fasting constitute refraining from any immoral act such lying, backbiting, slandering, not to mention any forbidden act. Fasting is in fact a staging post and a reflection period to help one to demote vice and promote virtue and in effect to ‘get fit’ morally and physically for the next 11 months of the current year.

Sex

There is much sexual etiquette that is observed by Muslims, as taught by Islam, where some of them are obligatory and some are desirable. Needless to say sex outside marriage is forbidden, and within marriage man and woman may not engage in sexual intercourse when the woman is going through her monthly menstruation period or during postpartum period, or the first minimum period of ten days after childbirth – preferably this period should be up to 40 days after childbirth – this is to ensure the health recovery of the mother. Sex between spouses is forbidden when one is fasting and for a number of particular days when s/he on the Hajj pilgrimage in Makkah (Mecca).

There are prophetic traditions and teachings about days of the month when one is recommended to have sex and those days that one is recommended not. These teachings and traditions go on to explain how the days on which a woman conceives affect the health and psychology of the child. It is suggested that even the position of the couple during intercourse affects the well being of the child to be, if the woman conceives.

I hope that this brief outline has been helpful. If there are any issues, which have not been covered here, please feel free to contact me.

webmaster@shirazi.co.uk

http://www.shirazi.org.uk/health%20&%20hygiene.htm

Last edited by Salahudin; 12-11-05 at 12:40 AM.
    وَأَن لَّيْسَ لِلإِنسَـنِ إِلاَّ مَا سَعَى

Personal Hygiene In Islam

Muslims SHOULD enjoy the highest standard of personal hygiene of all the people in the world. In Islam, cleanliness and purification are not only usual requirements for the performance of worship, or when embracing Islam, (a new Muslim takes a full body shower when embracing Islam) but are part of a Muslim's very faith. Allah (the Most High) says in the Quran (what is translated to mean):
    "Truly, Allah loves those who turn unto Him in repentance and loves those who purify themselves (by taking a bath and cleaning and washing thoroughly their private parts, bodies, for their prayers etc.).; (Al Baqarah 2:222)
    Narrated AbuMalik al-Ash'ari:
    The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said: Cleanliness is half of faith and Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah) fills the scale, and SubhanAllah (Glory be to Allah) and Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah) fill up what is between the heavens and the earth, and prayer is a light, and charity is proof (of one's faith) and endurance is a brightness and the Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you. All men go out early in the morning and sell themselves, thereby setting themselves free or destroying themselves. (Sahih Muslim Book 2, Number 0432)

Cleanliness In Islam Is Of Three Kinds:
    1. Purification from impurity (i.e. to attain purity or cleanliness, by taking a bath (ghusl) or performing ablution (wudoo) in states in which a bath or ablution is necessary or desirable according to Islamic Law).
    2. To cleanse one's body, dress or place from an impurity of filth.
    3. To remove the dirt or grime that collects in various parts of the body, such as cleaning the teeth and nostrils, the trimming of nails and the removing of armpit and pubic hair.

Types of Purification
    Allah (the Most High) says in the Quran (what is translated to mean):
    O you who believe! When you intend to offer prayer, wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to ankles. If you are in a state of Janaba (i.e. post sexual relations), purify yourself (bathe your whole body).; (Al-Ma'idah 5:6)

1. GHUSL (A COMPLETE BATH) This is when all parts of the body are washed with water, including the mouth and the nose. WUDOO (A SIMPLE ABLUTION) This is when certain parts of the body are washed with water. For more information on this subject, please visit the following site The Prophet's Wudoo (Ablution): The superiority of ablution. And Al-Ghurr-ul-Muhajjalun (the parts of the body of the Muslims washed in ablution will shine on the Day of Resurrection and the angels will call them by that name) from the traces of ablution. Narrated Nu'aim Al-Mujmir:
      "Once I went up the roof of the mosque along with Abu Huraira (RA): He performed ablution and said, "I heard the Prophet (S) saying, 'On the Day of Resurrection, my followers will be called Al-Ghurr-ul-Muhajjalun from the traces of ablution and whoever can increase the area of his radiance should do so (by performing ablution in the most perfect manner.'" (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol. 1, Hadith No. 138)
      Narrated Uthman ibn Affan:
      "The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: 'He who performed ablution well, his sins would come out from his body, even coming out from under his nails.'" (Sahih Muslim, Book 2, Number 0476)
      TAYAMMUM (PURIFICATION WITHOUT WATER) This method of purifcation, which does not require water, is used instead of ablution (Wudoo) and Ghusl in certain circumstances (i.e. such as no water is available, etc.). Allah (the Most High) says in the Quran (what is translated to mean): But if you are ill or on a journey or any of you comes from answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women (i.e. sexual intercourse) and you find no water, then perform Tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your faces and hands. Allah does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favor on you that you may be thankful.; (Al-Ma'idah 5:6)

Keeping The Fitrah
    Prophet (peace be upon him). He said, "From the acts of nature are five: circumcision (obligation for men, but not for women), removing pubic hairs, trimming the mustache, cutting the nails and plucking the hair from under the armpits."1 [Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim].

It is not allowed to leave them for more than forty nights. This is based on the Hadith of Anas who said, "The Messenger of Allah set a time limit for us for trimming the mustache, trimming nails, removing armpit hairs and removing pubic hairs. They cannot be left for more than forty nights."2 [Recorded by Muslim]. Letting them grow long resembles animals and some of the disbelievers. May Allah keep you well.

Links:

http://www.islamic-knowledge.com/

Details of Fatwa
    Title of Fatwa:
    Personal Hygiene in Islam
    Date of Reply: 20/Aug/2003
    Topic Of Fatwa
    : Impurities & methods of purification
    Question of Fatwa
    :

Dear scholar, As-Salamu `Alaykum, I just want to know the status of personal hygiene in Islam.

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

First of all, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you have in us. We hope our efforts meet your expectations.

Dear brother in Islam, Muslims enjoy the highest standard of personal hygiene of all the people in the world. In Islam, cleanliness and purification are not only requirements for the performance of worship, or when embracing Islam, but are part of a Muslim’s very faith. Allah says in the Qur’an: "…Truly, Allah loves those who turn unto Him in repentance and loves those who purify themselves (by taking a bath and cleaning and washing thoroughly their private parts, bodies, for their prayers etc.)." (Al Baqarah: 222)

Cleanliness in Islam is of three kinds:

1- Purification from impurity (i.e. to attain purity or cleanliness, by taking a bath ghusl or performing ablution wudu’ in states in which a bath or ablution is necessary or desirable according to Islamic Law.

2- Cleansing one’s body, dress or place from an impurity of filth.

3- Removing the dirt or grime that collects in various parts of the body, such as cleaning the teeth and nostrils, the trimming of nails and the removing of armpit and pubic hair.

Ghusl

This is when all parts of the body are thoroughly washed. Ghusl is required of every Muslim after sexual intercourse, after wet dreams, after child-birth, and after post-partum bleeding (40-days flow of blood, and final yellowish discharge has completely stopped), and each month after menstruation and final yellowish discharge has stopped.

Wudu’

This simple ablution is necessary before prayer in the following cases:

1- after urinating or defecating;

2- if one breaks wind;

3- if one falls asleep lying down;

4- if one loses consciousness;

5- if one directly touches the genitals;

6- if one becomes excited, leading to a subsequent discharge.

The above cases also nullify one’s ablution, requiring a fresh one. Allah says in the Qur’an: "O you who believe! When you intend to offer prayer, wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to ankles. If you are in a state of Janaba, purify yourself (bathe your whole body)…." (Al-Ma’idah: 6)

Also on this issue, Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) quoted Allah's Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying, "The prayer of a person who does hadath (passes, urine, stool or wind) is not accepted until he performs (repeats) the ablution." A person from Hadaramout asked Abu Hurairah, "What is 'hadath'?" Abu Hurairah replied, "'Hadath' means the passing of wind from the anus." (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 4, Number 137)

Merits of ablution:

Part of the merits of ablution is that it earns Muslims a special name by which they will be called on the Day of Judgment; the name is Al-Ghurr-ul-Muhajjalun (People of shinning bodily parts), due to performing ablution in proper way. Nu’aim Al-Mujmir reported: "Once I went up the roof of the mosque along with Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him). He performed ablution and said, ‘I heard the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) saying: On the Day of Resurrection, my followers will be called Al-Ghurr-ul-Muhajjalun from the traces of ablution and whoever can increase the area of his radiance should do so (by performing ablution in the most perfect manner.’" (Sahih Al-Bukhari, vol. 1, hadith No. 138)

Tayamum (Dry Ablution)

This is performed by putting or striking lightly the hands over clean earth and then pass the palm of each on the back of the other, blow off the dust then pass them on the face. It is performed instead of wudu and ghusl (in case of ritual impurity, etc.). Allah says in the Qur’an: "… But if you are ill or on a journey or any of you comes from answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women (i.e., sexual intercourse) and you find no water, then perform <>tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your faces and hands. Allah does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favor on you that you may be thankful." (Al-Ma’idah: 6)

To illustrate the importance of Muslims maintaining their high level of personal hygiene, the following points are specifically mentioned by Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) on answering the call of nature.

`A’ishah, the Mother of the Faithful (may Allah be pleased with her): "The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used his right hand for getting water for ablution and taking food, and his left hand for his evacuation and for anything repugnant." (Sunan Abu Dawud)

Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported: "The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said: ‘Be on your guard against two things which provoke cursing.’ They (the Companions present there) said: ‘Messenger of Allah, what are those things which provoke cursing?’ He said: ‘Easing on the thoroughfares or under the shades (where people take shelter and rest).’” (Reported by Muslim)

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: http://members.aol.com/TheMuslimWoman/hygiene.html

Allah Almighty knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/eng...hFatwaID=59082