Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Syeds And The Meaning Of Syeds

i have been brought up in a syed family and have always wondered whats the significant of it. Is it islamic, or cultural, i have always wanted to know where it states in the quran that syed women are not allowed to marry outside meaning other than syed, i am confused. I was brought up to believe we aare form the family of the prophet muhammad (pbuh), can anyone tell me if this is islamic and that i must stick by these rules, any quotations would be great. I have read in the basheti zewar moulana book, that if a syed marrys a moghul or pathan it is considered as marrying someone socially lower than you. It is allowed to marry a sheikh as they are like cousins etc. Please help

syeds and the meaning of syeds

i have been brought up in a syed family and have always wondered whats the significant of it. Is it islamic, or cultural, i have always wanted to know where it states in the quran that syed women are not allowed to marry outside meaning other than syed, i am confused. I was brought up to believe we aare form the family of the prophet muhammad (pbuh), can anyone tell me if this is islamic and that i must stick by these rules, any quotations would be great. I have read in the basheti zewar moulana book, that if a syed marrys a moghul or pathan it is considered as marrying someone socially lower than you. It is allowed to marry a sheikh as they are like cousins etc. Please help

Quote Originally Posted by syed muslimah
    Anyone and everyone these days claims to be a syed by name but not by action. This is nonsense, the prophet said a non-arab is equal to an arab, a black man to a white man. So this is sufficient to show equality in islam. Nowhere in the Quran is it stated that a syed woman may not marry a non-syed. These are cultural practises that are twisted to fit in with the hindu caste system influences in pakistan and other parts of the world to segregate people and to create an unequal class system so the elites rule over the masses.

The diversity of the world is commented upon by Allah in the Quran - O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And God has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).

No one in islam is 'socially lower' than another being, not even non-muslims are regarded as lower than muslims - because they are the creation of Allah and thus, He provides for them in the same way He fulfills our needs and wants. There is a clear distinction between disliking the deeds of a person and disliking the person - we musn't hate people - we must hate their actions/bad deeds and injustices.
    Please Re-update your Signature

A*M*S
    Assalaamu 'alaykum wr wb sis

I can relate because I have been brought up in a "sayyad" family and my grandparents especially would probably have a heart attack if I was to marry out of "sayyad" but having said that, I have done my research and I have asked aalims. and there is no evidence to suggest that your marriage will not be valid if you marry sum1 who is not a sayyad.

Sayyads are regarded as the decendants of Hashim who was the great grandfather of Muhammad (saw). And they include descendants of Abbas (RA), Ali (RA), Ja'far (RA), Aqeel (RA), Uthmaan (RA) and a few others I cant quite put my finger on. According to my understanding and what I have learnt, descendants of Hashim known as Banu Hashim aka "sayyads" are now allowed to get help via zakah but are allowed to accept gifts and lillah.

They are the family of the Prophet saw so ofcourse they are for that reason put in high esteem. Through time people have become obsessed with the whole idea of caste system and I think they tend to exagerate its limits. Ofcourse it would make life easier if one who was a sayyad to marry another sayyad if that person is a practising Muslim. however, the way I see it is, if there is a practising brother or sister who is sayyad and that person has a choice between a non-practising sayyad and practising non-sayyad, obviously the wise thing to do would be to marry the person who is practising because we are here purely for the sake of Allaah swt and if it means I going against the norms of my family to marry sum1 who is not a sayyad but is good for my deen... then so be it.

The reasons why they say its best to marry amongst your own is just coz it would be pleasing to the parents and it would life a wee easier for you to adopt to a family/clan you are already familiar with.

When I find out sum more I'll let you know.
    A Traveller...

A*M*S
    oh and btw, You have read baheshti zewar, alhamdulillaah so have I but there a few things in there which raise a few more eyebrows, try and research more into what you read. What i found in that book was a lot of "Do this and do that" but not many quotes from Qur'an and ahadith to back em. Not to say what they right is not true, but it just means we should go out of our way and attempt to find out why they wrote what they and if its correct rather than just blindly following it

InshaAllaah, continue in ur path of knowledge and may Allaah swt make it fruitful for u and all the people converse with-aameen
    A Traveller...

Icon9

so wot about books that mention about marry to of a social standing as yourself, and what about these generations of syed people only marrying syeds, my fathr told me that syed women are the mother of Islam, I believe that everyone is equal but what am i suppose to say to my father when i have no quote to tell him it is equal.please help!

also you mention about the caste system adopted from the hindu caste system. This syed caste came into practice after the children of the prophet (pbuh) daughter Fatima and therafter and it has remained since. I don't believe people are superior than others in anyway as Allah did make everyone equal.

A*M*S
    so wot about books that mention about marry to of a social standing as yourself, and what about these generations of syed people only marrying syeds, my fathr told me that syed women are the mother of Islam, I believe that everyone is equal but what am i suppose to say to my father when i have no quote to tell him it is equal.please help!
    sis u posted this in lifestyle and i answered it there.

you need to do ur research into what you read. I have read the beheshti zewar and the book voids to give daleel on certain mas'ala therefore, strive to find out where they get their info from rather than just blindly followin them
    A Traveller...

A*M*S
    also you mention about the caste system adopted from the hindu caste system. This syed caste came into practice after the children of the prophet (pbuh) daughter Fatima and therafter and it has remained since. I don't believe people are superior than others in anyway as Allah did make everyone equal.
    sis, like sr. witty pointed out there are many ppl who claim to be sayyads BUT they dont actually practise their deen. ur title will not get u to jannah, its how far u go in the wayof Allaah swt that will determine that.
    A Traveller...

Icon7

jazarkallah sis

yeah i posted it on both, dont know why, neways i will do more research into it. I just need some proof so i can show it to my parents like quotes so if u do get some then post it to me please.

May allah reward you for your knowledge, aameen

Account Disabled
    just bear in mind that even though ure a descendant of the Prophet SAW, that is not a ticket for you to enter Jannah. I remember one of my prof told us that during the time of the Osmanly devlet, people bought this title to get some privilleges.

i totally agree with u there, its ur deen that will get u to jannat, i know many people that are syed by name but they do not practice

A*M*S
    jazarkallah sis

yeah i posted it on both, dont know why, neways i will do more research into it. I just need some proof so i can show it to my parents like quotes so if u do get some then post it to me please.

May allah reward you for your knowledge, aameen
    aameen

oh and sis u mentioned that sheikhs are like cousins, thats not actually true. ill pm u details
    A Traveller...

uve read the book, the bit about lineage blah blah, guess i shouldnt always believe everything then hey sis

sis u sent me a msg, didnt open up

A*M*S
    uve read the book, the bit about lineage blah blah, guess i shouldnt always believe everything then hey sis
    its not that sis, its just u shud probably wanna read more on it ratehr than just follow on it without second thought
    A Traveller...

A*M*S
    sis u sent me a msg, didnt open up
    click on private msgs in the right hand corner
    A Traveller...

jazarkallah, i didnt know

Assalam Alaykum

All Muslims are equal as long as they have imaan, this whole idea of Sayyad having a higher status or anythign else is absurd and unknown in shariah terms. somehow they have come to believe that Sayyad have a pure blood and therfore they should not marry outside, well that is the dumbest fatwa i have heard in my life since the noble daughters of Propeht (saw) married Uthman ibn al-Affan (ra), infact three of them.

As for Behshti Zewar some of the stuff in there just makes me laugh. Like there is a fatwa in there telling you how to fix a stamp on a letter, and one about man not allowed to touch the feet of his wife.
    "The objective behind Shari'ah is to liberate individuals from his desires in order to be a true Abd (slave) of Allah and that is the legitimate Maslaha... Violating the Shari'ah under the pretext of following Maqasid al-Shari'ah is like the one who cares about the spirit without the body and since the body without the spirit is useless therefore the spirit without the body is useless too." ~ Imam Shatibi - The greatest intellectual founder of Maqasid al-Shari'ah

Salaam syed Muslimah,

I found a hadith which you might benifit from:

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim] - An Arab is no better than a non-Arab. In return, a non-Arab is no better than an Arab. A red raced man was not better than a black one except in piety. Mankind are all Adam's children and Adam was created out of clay." (Source) That link is worth a read.

One verse from the Qur'an which comes to mind is:

049:013 - O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And God has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).

How about you ask your parents for evidences which denote that Sayyad are somehow have a higher status?
    "The objective behind Shari'ah is to liberate individuals from his desires in order to be a true Abd (slave) of Allah and that is the legitimate Maslaha... Violating the Shari'ah under the pretext of following Maqasid al-Shari'ah is like the one who cares about the spirit without the body and since the body without the spirit is useless therefore the spirit without the body is useless too." ~ Imam Shatibi - The greatest intellectual founder of Maqasid al-Shari'ah

unfortunately parents are hard to convince whether using proof or not, they will stick to their customs and beliefs. They for sure won't listen to their kids, get someone older who they will listen to, to address your parents. InshaAllah they might listen to them

plus some people who call themselves sayyid I doubt if ALL of them are really decending from the prophet.

I'm not referring to you sister who started the thread, but some people use it as a source of arrogance for themselves that they have this name.

We should all remember that only the level of taqwa makes someone better in the eyes of Allah. Lineage does not make anyone better, race does not, "caste" does not, money does not. Insha Allah I hope u could get ur parents to realise this in relation 2 choosing ur husband
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

“People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

24. 20-08-05, 11:37 PM
    Reason
    it could be taken as back biting. Guard your tongue insha Allah :)

ღLABBAYK YAA ALLAAHღ *IslamicGirl*'s Avatar

Please show some respect and cut the 'BLA BLA' out

Quote Originally Posted by Salman Al-Farsi
    Assalam Alaykum

All Muslims are equal as long as they have imaan, this whole idea of Sayyad having a higher status or anythign else is absurd and unknown in shariah terms. somehow they have come to believe that Sayyad have a pure blood and therfore they should not marry outside, well that is the dumbest fatwa i have heard in my life since the noble daughters of Propeht (saw) married Uthman ibn al-Affan (ra), infact three of them.
    Wa'alaykum Asaalaam Brother

Actually Akhee Syeds are decendant's of the Prophet Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him through Fatima (RA) and Ali (RA) lineage not the other daughters.

And I doubt Syeds go round saying they're higher than everyone else, i don't want people to think i'm stereotyping but i can think of many who think they're higher based on their nationality let alone blood.

I'm a Syed or Syeda for women and i challenge anyone to find where i've actually used this staus to get something, i haven't.

To me being a Syed is an honour, it's not something i expect people to understand, but to be related to the Prophet Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him is a Blessing, i think people can understand this also it fills me with happiness when people send Durood InshaAllah i'm getting Blessed too 'Oh Allah Bless Muhammad and the children of Muhammad Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him'

So some Syeds marry non Syeds out of their own choice, persoanlly i'd marry a Syed because i'd like my kids to be Syeds too, i find it a Blessing.
    I have a family tree confirming this, i expect my Husband to be to produce one like it as well, as there a lot of fake people around using the 'Syed' name.

I know this 'Syed' topic it's difficult for some to understand

Allah and His angels call down blessings on the Prophet . O you who believe! call down blessings on him and ask for complete peace and safety for him (33:56)

This misconception is held by many. The house of saud claim they are syeds too they got some shaykh to do them a phony family tree which somehow traces back to the ahlul bayt.

Lineage does not take precedence over character and the Prophet was clear on this- He even said to his daughter, Fatima, to make provisions for the hereafter and not to expect to be blessed because her father is the messenger of Allah. Is this not enough to make any 'holiness of lineage' redundant?

There are many pathetic individuals out there who have the nerve to think they are somehow royalty.. yet their actions are absolutely contradictory with what islam preaches.

--

Q - My mother is a sayyed but she married my father who is not a sayed. As a result the majority of my mother's family do not associate with us at all, they don't even say salam to us even now, over 30 years later. Do they have a right to do this? Are we considered sayyed’s too? Is it better to be a sayyed (in the sight of Allah) or to be a practicing believer?

Walaikum assalam WarahmatAllah Wabarakatu,

1. The ascription of lineage to the family of the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) is established paternally.

2. Despite this, the scholars mention that there is nobility and honor, though not lineage or the rank of being “sayyids”, even for those with maternal links to the family of the Chosen One (Allah bless him & give him peace).

3. This is an honor, but true honor lies in fulfilling the primary purpose of our creation: worshipping Allah as true servants, out of deep faith and true love.

4. The actions of your relatives are wrong. A Muslim, however, seeks to solve problems and improve things wherever he or she may be. “The one deals with others as they deal with him is not the one who maintains family ties. Rather, the one who maintains family ties is he who maintains ties when others cut them [with him].” [Bukhari, Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, and others]

Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) said,

"Whoever's actions slow him down will not be speeded up by his lineage." [Muslim 4867, Tirmidhi 1853, Abu Dawud 1243]

Imam Nawawi explained in his commentary on Sahih Muslim,

"This means that whoever's actions are deficient will not attain unto the ranks of those of good works. Therefore, one should not merely rely on noble lineage and the virtuous forefathers while having shortcomings in one's works."

Mulla Ali al-Qari explained in his Mirqat al-Mafatih Sharh Mishkat al-Masabih, as quoted by Allama Mubarakpuri in his Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi bi Sharh Jami` al-Tirmidhi,

“That is, his shortcomings [in performing good deeds] are not fixed by being of noble lineage among his people, for closeness to Allah is not through lineage but, rather, through good works. Allah Most High said, “Verily, the noblest of you to Allah are the most god-fearing.”

“A proof of this is that most of the scholars of the early generations (salaf) and later generations (khalaf) were not of lineages that are boasted about. Rather, a lot of the scholars of the early generations were freed slaves (mawali), and despite this there were leaders (sadaat) of our Ummah and founts of mercy. And those of high lineage who were not like this in this ignorance are long forgotten and ignored. This is why the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) said, “Verily, Allah raises peoples with this religion and abases others.”

----

Many wali's of Allah were not from the prophets household, yet they are held in high regards today too. Surely, we should honour the offspring of every other prophet - then we'd be honouring all the world because we are all direct descendants of Adam.

Excellent article you posted in your post sis Witty

Allah and His angels call down blessings on the Prophet . O you who believe! call down blessings on him and ask for complete peace and safety for him (33:56)

Quote Originally Posted by *IslamicGirl*

Actually Akhee Syeds are decendant's of the Prophet Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him through Fatima (RA) and Ali (RA) lineage not the other daughters.

And I doubt Syeds go round saying they're higher than everyone else, i don't want people to think i'm stereotyping but i can think of many who think they're higher based on their nationality let alone blood.

I'm a Syed or Syeda for women and i challenge anyone to find where i've actually used this staus to get something, i haven't.

To me being a Syed is an honour, it's not something i expect people to understand, but to be related to the Prophet Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him is a Blessing, i think people can understand this also it fills me with happiness when people send Durood InshaAllah i'm getting Blessed too 'Oh Allah Bless Muhammad and the children of Muhammad Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him'

So some Syeds marry non Syeds out of their own choice, persoanlly i'd marry a Syed because i'd like my kids to be Syeds too, i find it a Blessing.
    I have a family tree confirming this, i expect my Husband to be to produce one like it as well, as there a lot of fake people around using the 'Syed' name.

I know this 'Syed' topic it's difficult for some to understand

wa alaykum salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

so u wont marry ne1 til they produce this "syed family tree"? subhanallah sis I am kinda suprised at you...

Not specifically talking about you here, but if someone thinks they are a syed, is there any need for them to let the whole world know about it? For example using it as a title infront of their name n stuff in all circumstances... It comes accross like showing off. And putting such emphasis on "lineage" is wrong. If Allah cares more about taqwa then who are any of us to care more about lineage than taqwa?? It is not the actions of anyone's family or relations which would secure them a place in Jannah... no way, it is purely their own deeds. So I just think some people should concentrate on their own deeds before prancing around thinking "I'm so great I'm a sayyed"

Just to reitterate... I'm not directing this to you sis, I'm talking in general.

~ Ibn Atallah

NO NO!

LA!

You misunderstood sis!

I meant i would desire to marry a Syed but if a guy came to me saying i'm some syed, he could be a random guy, i'd get him checked, not necesarrily produce family tree, but if people know him know he's a good character and he's humble and is a syed then sure why not. If he was genuine he wouldn't mind producing a family tree you know?

As most people tend to marry the same culture people, i don't mind, guy can be African, Malasyian, Australian whatever, black, white or brown- but if he isn't Kashmiri, it'll be most likely i don't know him nor his family so what's the harm in getting him checked out to see he's legit.

He could be an Asylum seeker spinning me a line

Hope that makes sense

NO NO!

LA!

You misunderstood sis!

I meant i would desire to marry a Syed but if a guy came to me saying i'm some syed, he could be a random guy, i'd get him checked, not necesarrily produce family tree, but if people know him know he's a good character and he's humble and is a syed then sure why not. If he was genuine he wouldn't mind producing a family tree you know?

As most people tend to marry the same culture people, i don't mind, guy can be African, Malasyian, Australian whatever, black, white or brown- but if he isn't Kashmiri, it'll be most likely i don't know him nor his family so what's the harm in getting him checked out to see he's legit.

He could be an Asylum seeker spinning me a line

Hope that makes sense

Ok, wat if a bro came and asked your parents about u for marriage. He did not even make any claim at all into the Sayyid thing but he was such a pious and lovely brother with really good manners and character... wd u marry him? like will it matter he's not a syed?

~ Ibn Atallah

Astaghfirullah.

this caste system does not exist in Islaam.

This is mainly found amongst Muslims of indian sub-continent who probably adopted this concept from hindus or something, it has no trace in early generations of Muslims.

Sis

Quote Originally Posted by anna2000uk

Ok, wat if a bro came and asked your parents about u for marriage. He did not even make any claim at all into the Sayyid thing but he was such a pious and lovely brother with really good manners and character... wd u marry him? like will it matter he's not a syed?
    He might come to my parents but the decision is inevitably mine and i do have a prefeance for Syeds i really do

It doesn't matter as i've said before if he's black, white, brown or even yellow (suffers from Jaudis ) but i would like to continue to the lineage. That's my wish right now.

One of my uncles recently married a revert and that was his choice, yes the Sayyid thing is paternal so if i married it would be for the Deen but i would like a Syed guy a lot.

Like people even on this forum refuse to marry certain types of people as they only Want an arab, or a revert or even a Pakistani. I don't mind the nationality at all but i would prefer a Syed that's my thought and choice right now, people may disagree but at the end of the day it's me whose marrying MR X

So the children of SAyeduna Ali and Sayada Fatima are Sayyid but not the children of prophet (saw)??

So if prophet (saw)'s daughters could marry non Sayyad, ie Uthman, then what makes daughter of FAtima or her descendent better than the three daughters of Prophet (saw) who married a non-Sayyad?

And who's sunnah are we suppose to follow, Prophet of Allah (saw) who happily married three of his daughters one after the other to Uthman (ra) or the sunnah of descendents of Fatima (rA) and Ali (ra). ?

All of this non-sense goes against the meaning, purpose and principles of Islam, which came to give equality to all and make mankind brothers and sisters in islam and no one is special except those with Taqwah.

Don't mean to bring your hopes down but some sayyids ive seen.. well lets just say, God save you

Quote Originally Posted by witty
    Don't mean to bring your hopes down but some sayyids ive seen.. well lets just say, God save you

I know SubhanAllah May Allah Guide us all. AMEEN

Brother Salman Al-Farsi i can give you a response but i doubt you'll like it/agree to it, why don't you try islam Q&A or sunnipath and submit those Questions to a qualified professional?

I know SubhanAllah May Allah Guide us all. AMEEN

Brother Salman Al-Farsi i can give you a response but i doubt you'll like it/agree to it, why don't you try islam Q&A or sunnipath and submit those Questions to a qualified professional?

Sister it doesnt really matter to me, neither is it part of Islamic Aqeedah, or imaan to have such a belief.

as far as i am concerned its a non-issue

Ameen IG. I posted above from sunnipath. At the end of the day, scholars say all sorts - but we should know the truth ourselves and evaluate with an open mind. The Quran specifically mentions equality.

Quote Originally Posted by Salman Al-Farsi
    And who's sunnah are we suppose to follow, Prophet of Allah (saw) who happily married three of his daughters one after the other to Uthman (ra) or the sunnah of descendents of Fatima (rA) and Ali (ra). ?
    Fatima was the prophets beloved daughter and the way in which she implemented islam is an example for us all. Having said that of course, people always think that Ali, Hassan, Hussain, Fatima and the Prophet saw are the ahlulbayt, or the 12 imams alone. The ahlulbayt comprise of the wives including Aisha, and the other 3 daughters alongside Fatima. So for some people to slander some elements of the ahlulbayt and then say, loving the ahlul bayt is integral is contradictory.

The prophet left behind the Quran and his descendants - holding fast to them both ensures that no one goes astray.

Half of the so called sayyids are not even sayyids - and even if they claim they are, who can prove it? Family trees don't always do the job, 1400 years later, who knows how accurate the information is.

Also, Imam Hussain married 5 women (if i'm mistaken, sorry) - and they weren't from the household of the Prophet or the companions. 1 came from persia and another was the cousin of Yazid/daughter of Maymuna - the daughter of Abu Sufyan.

hmmm interesting im actually torn on this issue... see first of all i was really against it this whole syid marrying thing... but now.... hmmm im not syyid by the way nor do i think 90 percent of the people who claim they are syid are syid especially amongst the south asians... many of the old pandits in hinduism wanted to keep thier rank so they made themselves into syids and made this family tree... i mean i seen this one syid guy just got out of the jungle and i was like i know no sahaba ever went in their so how did u guys become syid....

on the basis of history and my limited islamic knoweldge if their was a sister whether she was syid or not and she had a choice between two brothers one was syid and the other not and both identical in the deen then perhaps she should take the syid....however the looking point i dont believe should be syid it should be deen first and foremost, i dont believe in this stupid paki mentality of going around looking for the right chaste that just crazy...
    And Allâh has set forth an example for those who believe, the wife of Fir'aun when she said: "My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise, and save me from Fir'aun and his work, and save me from the people who are Zâliműn

There is no nobility in anyone who lacks faith.

The wise man knows that the only fitting price for his soul is a place in Paradise.

Is one a syed, even if their family tree stems from one of the other sons of Sayyiduna Ali (Allah be pleased with him)
    Answered by Shaykh Gibril Haddad

Is one a syed even if their family tree stems from one of the other sons of Ali (RA), such as Abbas (RA), rather than Imams Hassan & Hussain?

No, but he may be named a Sharif as the people of Syria and Egypt used to do while the people of Iraq extended the title of Sharif to the descendants of al-`Abbas or to the Hashimis as a whole. However, today, both Sayyid and Sharif are used interchangeably and exclusively for the descendants of Fatima, upon her father and her blessings and peace.

Cf. Muhammad `Abduh Yamani, `Allimu Awladakum Mahabbata Al al-Nabi, Salla Allahu `alayhi wa-Alihi wa-Sallam (p. 26-30).

Hajj Gibril

SUNNIPATH

hmmm i dont know about that.... let me check this out... also you know that the prophet (saw) also had another daughter who had kids.... astaghfirullah i forgot her name... her sons name was ali though the prophet (saw) had him on his shoulders whilst he was smasing the idols in the kaabah....
    And Allâh has set forth an example for those who believe, the wife of Fir'aun when she said: "My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise, and save me from Fir'aun and his work, and save me from the people who are Zâliműn

There is no nobility in anyone who lacks faith.

The wise man knows that the only fitting price for his soul is a place in Paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by witty
    Ameen IG. I posted above from sunnipath. At the end of the day, scholars say all sorts - but we should know the truth ourselves and evaluate with an open mind. The Quran specifically mentions equality.

Fatima was the prophets beloved daughter and the way in which she implemented islam is an example for us all. Having said that of course, people always think that Ali, Hassan, Hussain, Fatima and the Prophet saw are the ahlulbayt, or the 12 imams alone. The ahlulbayt comprise of the wives including Aisha, and the other 3 daughters alongside Fatima. So for some people to slander some elements of the ahlulbayt and then say, loving the ahlul bayt is integral is contradictory.

The prophet left behind the Quran and his descendants - holding fast to them both ensures that no one goes astray.

Half of the so called sayyids are not even sayyids - and even if they claim they are, who can prove it? Family trees don't always do the job, 1400 years later, who knows how accurate the information is.

Also, Imam Hussain married 5 women (if i'm mistaken, sorry) - and they weren't from the household of the Prophet or the companions. 1 came from persia and another was the cousin of Yazid/daughter of Maymuna - the daughter of Abu Sufyan.
    Well said sis, I would add that just like Ahlul Bayt were special but so were those who Allah Tala praised and Prophet of Allah (saw) praised, ie the Sahabah (ra), and Asharan Mubasharah, and in order of merit Sayeduna Abu Bakr, Umar ibn al-Khattab, Uthman ibn al-Affan and Imam Ali (ra).

The very fact that Imama was given to Abu Bakr (ra) is testimonial that in the eyes of the prophet of Allah (saw) Abu Baqr was more suitable than someone from Ahlul bayt (Imam Ali).