Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Icon9 Marriage to a convert and My mother

Assalam u alaikum,
    I am here to share a problem to which I really don’t know how to handle. About 7 years ago I met a girl and she was non-muslim and I knew I liked her a lot so I asked her if she would be willing to convert otherwise we will not be able to be together. She read about Islam and said she would convert. I knew that once she converts it would be very hard on her family and I wanted to marry her. I shared this with my parents and they both said no. I tried to convince them for 6 months shared how I feel about her and how she is converted already and I want to marry her now. They did not agree and never wanted to meet her.
    At this time her parents started looking for guys in her religion to marry and the pressure was building. So I married her without my parents being there. This made them very upset but I apologized. I didn’t know who I could turn to. Further I was told that if I wanted to be with her then I would have to keep her outside as she was not allowed in my house and my parents would never accept her.
    Me and my wife started to live on our own. We are very happy mashallah but over the years I have always tried to convince my parents to meet her and talk to her so they can get to know her. My dad is refuse to ever meet her and has never talked to my wife of 7 years now. My mother every time I talk to her says that she is not a good muslim and the only way she will talk to her is if she leaves her parents. She then went on to say that she is a kafir even though my wife has converted. When ever I call my mother to talk to her we always end up fighting because she would call my wife names and swear words that degrades her and when I asked her to stop she doesn’t which then results in a fight and her not talking to me. I have been trying to 7 years now and feel totally lost. The last time I spoke to my mother she said the only way she will be happy is if I leave my wife because she is the problem. she thinks that I have moved away from my deen because of my wife. They have never spent even a day with her to know what she is like.
    Now I am being blamed for leaving the parents. Not caring about them even thought I am the one who always calls them in the seven years I have been married they have never called me to ask how I am doing when will I come to see them. I have always made the effort and will continue but I feel like nothing is enough. I Just want to know if there is something that I am missing or what I can do to fix it. I have talked to my sisters and all they say is she is our mother you should talk to her and spend time with her. How do you spend time with someone who doesn’t accept the biggest part of your life. Who never call you to ask you how are you. I asked them to come and stay with me even come and visit when I bought a new house but they refused and said they would never come as long as my wife is there. My sisters also blame me and say that I have not done enough as being the only son and I have left them ( my parents). However I feel like I have been trying since 7 years to make them a part of my happiness and they keep pushing me away.
    Please help
    Thank you in advance for all the help

On Break
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1280 Post(s)

Re: Marriage to a convert and My mother

Tl;dr: He met a non-Muslim woman years ago, asked her to convert, and he married her against his parents’ wishes. Now, 7 years later, the parents still don’t accept her. What can he do?

OP, I would suggest not pushing a relationship with your wife onto your parents. You can still love them and be involved in their life without them wanting to hang out with your wife. It’s hard, but they said from the beginning that they wouldn’t accept her. Keep ties and do what you can for them. One day, maybe they will want a relationship with your wife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

thank you. I do realize that they do not want to meet her and I have stopped even mentioning her name when ever I am around my parents but there are times when things are said such as when I bought my new home and I wanted my parents to come and visit me my mother said she will not come to visit the bitch ( my wifes) home. i told her to please if you don't like her to not talk about her and at least not disrespect her. because of these situations there have been alot of disagreements and no matter what I do it ends up bad.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)

Well you knew this will happen, so you have to live with the consequences.
    Do not try anymore, for you have tried enough. Play bit of reverse psychology.
    Stop talking to them about your wife altogether. If your sisters talk to you, tell them, this topic is not to be discussed. Visit them if there is a need, a gathering, a marriage etc, without your wife. Call them every now and then just to keep in touch. You might need to do it for years, before they might get interested to know about her and be involved in your life.

On Break
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1280 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newconvert789 View Post
    thank you. I do realize that they do not want to meet her and I have stopped even mentioning her name when ever I am around my parents but there are times when things are said such as when I bought my new home and I wanted my parents to come and visit me my mother said she will not come to visit the bitch ( my wifes) home. i told her to please if you don't like her to not talk about her and at least not disrespect her. because of these situations there have been alot of disagreements and no matter what I do it ends up bad.
    Work on setting boundaries. Do this in an assertive but not aggressive way. Make it clear what you will accept behavior-wise, on your own terms. If cursing is a limit, make that be known; that you love them and will always be there for them, but when cursing begins, the conversation ends. Stick to what you say you will do, assert your boundaries. Keep at it, over and over. It doesn’t require raising voice or being harsh, just again make it clear what you are willing to accept. If they don’t want to visit, that is their choice. You cannot force them to interact, and you cannot change other people. What you can do is control how you react to those around you.

1of the volatile beings myeverything's Avatar
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1558 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sister_2009 View Post
    Work on setting boundaries. Do this in an assertive but not aggressive way. Make it clear what you will accept behavior-wise, on your own terms. If cursing is a limit, make that be known; that you love them and will always be there for them, but when cursing begins, the conversation ends. Stick to what you say you will do, assert your boundaries. Keep at it, over and over. It doesn’t require raising voice or being harsh, just again make it clear what you are willing to accept. If they don’t want to visit, that is their choice. You cannot force them to interact, and you cannot change other people. What you can do is control how you react to those around you.
    This

Also, maybe kids arrivals ( if u want any) can soften their hearts and they change their minds towards your wife .. usually this work with grandparents .

May Allah make it easy on u
    How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)

Walaykum salam,

you're being way too soft with your parents. Respecting your parents doesn't mean becoming a doormat and accepting abuse. You need to set boundaries with them. Say to them you will fulfil your duties as a son by keeping ties but that doesn't give them the right to be abusive. At first they will protest and curse about it, but what you do is, every time they call your wife a bad name, you hang up the phone or leave their house so that they know the line is drawn and you wont put up with it... and I mean put the phone down or walk out instantly- don't wait to finish your meal or that sort of thing. If they persist in being abusive then stop visiting them altogether and stop calling them. Send them a letter or a card that says you're still my parents and I will always love you but that doesn't mean I wont tolerate disrespect of my household and my wife is part of my household every bit as much as mum is part of dad's household. I have always been the one to keep ties, to call and stay in touch, even tolerate malicious and disrespectful language for a long time, but now it's your turn. If you want to keep ties then you know my phone number and my door is open to you- it is now up to you whether you want to be a part of my life or not. Then stick with that and again if they get in touch, don't tolerate any bad language from them

At this point, I strongly suggest regular ruqya over your home, be regular in your prayers and so on because your wife and marriage could potentially become a target for sihr and that sort of thing so you need to be protective, be wary of strange gifts and so on. you have to be prepared to take a stand, draw a line and stick with it consistently. In the meantime you can stay in touch with your sisters or other family to keep tabs on how your family are doing. My guess is your parents will cry and tell the whole community that you're the worst son in the world and you've "abandoned" them in their old age because of your "bitch" wife so be careful of the consequences of such a big step as it could mean that the community will treat you differently too and you may have to consider moving out of town if they make the situation untenable, but that's only in the most extreme circumstance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to read and give advise. I will try my best in being fair to my parents and my wife. I am already being blamed for abandoning them... I have asked for them to please respect my wife and if they can't just not say anything about her but my mother still does and starts hating her more. i have been told by my sisters that the parents are the most important and that i should just ignore the insults that my mother says still talk to her like nothing has happened which is what i am struggling with. InshAllah it gets better
    Last edited by newconvert789; 09-11-17 at 07:11 PM.

On Break
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1280 Post(s)

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to read and give advise. I will try my best in being fair to my parents and my wife. I am already being blamed for abandoning them... I have asked for them to please respect my wife and if they can't just not say anything about her but my mother still does and starts hating her more. i have been told by my sisters that the parents are the most important and that i should just ignore the insults that my mother says still talk to her like nothing has happened which is what i am struggling with. InshAllah it gets better
    You see, everything you have written is about someone else - your mother, your sisters, your parents, your wife. This is about YOU. You decide who is in your life and how you will accept to be treated. You make the rules and let the others know what they are, and then THEY work within your parameters or they aren’t active participants in your everyday life. That is what the above posts are addressing. The only person who can take a stand and make that happen is you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

will remember that I think i just so badly wanted everything to get better that i didn't stop and just step back and let things happen. I always just thought maybe this time it will get better or if i did this then it can probably be better. but I am realizing now that i need to change how I am going to approach this

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)

I think you are trying too hard to have your cake and eat it. It's quite clear now that there will be no playing happy families between your wife and her in laws no matter what you say or do, no matter how nice you are to them, no matter how much you encourage her to overlook their insults. If you persist with things the way they are, it'll only increase the amount of resentment your parents have for your wife and eventually cause your wife to feel resentful that you're inconsiderate of her feelings that you sit by and let them talk about her like that in front of you all the time. You wont get the best of both worlds no matter what you do so you have to set clear boundaries yourself. Just remember that if your parents don't accept those boundaries then that's them taking themselves out of your life, not you abandoning them. They had a choice to be part of your life and to have a harmonious relationship with you and your wife and they chose to spit in the face of it for 7 years- how is that your fault?

Some say insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Well you've done the same thing going back to your parents over and over tolerating all the abuse and expecting a different outcome. Time to wake up and stop deluding yourself that "one day they'll realise...".

will remember that I think i just so badly wanted everything to get better that i didn't stop and just step back and let things happen. I always just thought maybe this time it will get better or if i did this then it can probably be better. but I am realizing now that i need to change how I am going to approach this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

thanks I agree with you as well.. that is what i have been doing stepping back and watching to see how much my parents want to be in my life... at that point i was criticized so i wanted to actually get a unbiased opinion

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3815 Post(s)

Assalam u alaikum,
    I am here to share a problem to which I really don’t know how to handle. About 7 years ago I met a girl and she was non-muslim and I knew I liked her a lot so I asked her if she would be willing to convert otherwise we will not be able to be together. She read about Islam and said she would convert. I knew that once she converts it would be very hard on her family and I wanted to marry her. I shared this with my parents and they both said no. I tried to convince them for 6 months shared how I feel about her and how she is converted already and I want to marry her now. They did not agree and never wanted to meet her.
    At this time her parents started looking for guys in her religion to marry and the pressure was building. So I married her without my parents being there. This made them very upset but I apologized. I didn’t know who I could turn to. Further I was told that if I wanted to be with her then I would have to keep her outside as she was not allowed in my house and my parents would never accept her.
    Me and my wife started to live on our own. We are very happy mashallah but over the years I have always tried to convince my parents to meet her and talk to her so they can get to know her. My dad is refuse to ever meet her and has never talked to my wife of 7 years now. My mother every time I talk to her says that she is not a good muslim and the only way she will talk to her is if she leaves her parents. She then went on to say that she is a kafir even though my wife has converted. When ever I call my mother to talk to her we always end up fighting because she would call my wife names and swear words that degrades her and when I asked her to stop she doesn’t which then results in a fight and her not talking to me. I have been trying to 7 years now and feel totally lost. The last time I spoke to my mother she said the only way she will be happy is if I leave my wife because she is the problem. she thinks that I have moved away from my deen because of my wife. They have never spent even a day with her to know what she is like.
    Now I am being blamed for leaving the parents. Not caring about them even thought I am the one who always calls them in the seven years I have been married they have never called me to ask how I am doing when will I come to see them. I have always made the effort and will continue but I feel like nothing is enough. I Just want to know if there is something that I am missing or what I can do to fix it. I have talked to my sisters and all they say is she is our mother you should talk to her and spend time with her. How do you spend time with someone who doesn’t accept the biggest part of your life. Who never call you to ask you how are you. I asked them to come and stay with me even come and visit when I bought a new house but they refused and said they would never come as long as my wife is there. My sisters also blame me and say that I have not done enough as being the only son and I have left them ( my parents). However I feel like I have been trying since 7 years to make them a part of my happiness and they keep pushing me away.
    Please help
    Wa alaykumus salaam,

You seem torn between two different obligations, one is being a dutiful son and the other is being a good husband but in reality there is no contradiction here.

You be good to your parents, kind and loving as our deen teaches her, but at the same time defend your wife's honour in her absence as is your duty. The problem with doing so is your family have shown they will not accept that, so there is a cultural or personal barrier it seems to even being amicable but separate.

I can see two approaches to this problem.

1. The issues are in their understanding of the deen, so rather than confront the problem directly, look at how to change that cultural / personal misunderstanding of the deen, for example you said she called your wife a bitch, so rather than saying not to say that about your wife, spend some time working on showing them the daleel against foul language and backbiting without bringing up the context of your wife.

2. Whenever they start this evil speech, politely get up and walk away from them. You are not obliged to listen to profanity, nor is it dutiful to the parents or anyone else to stop with them whilst they do so.

Finally... I would make it clear your wife and any future kids come as a package, if they don't accept one there is no relationship with the other and you don't want your kids around people who might poison them against their mother or put a strain on that relationship.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3815 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myeverything View Post
    This

Also, maybe kids arrivals ( if u want any) can soften their hearts and they change their minds towards your wife .. usually this work with grandparents .

May Allah make it easy on u
    I've noticed that with revert marriages, when problems occur on either the Muslim or non-Muslim side, almost always when grand-kids arrive they soften up.

However as others have mentioned, he has to be firm and not let them have access to the grand kids if they are going to poison them against their mother, or use foul language, or do other evil acts around them.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Odan
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    825 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
    Wa alaykumus salaam,

You seem torn between two different obligations, one is being a dutiful son and the other is being a good husband but in reality there is no contradiction here.

You be good to your parents, kind and loving as our deen teaches her, but at the same time defend your wife's honour in her absence as is your duty. The problem with doing so is your family have shown they will not accept that, so there is a cultural or personal barrier it seems to even being amicable but separate.

I can see two approaches to this problem.

1. The issues are in their understanding of the deen, so rather than confront the problem directly, look at how to change that cultural / personal misunderstanding of the deen, for example you said she called your wife a bitch, so rather than saying not to say that about your wife, spend some time working on showing them the daleel against foul language and backbiting without bringing up the context of your wife.

2. Whenever they start this evil speech, politely get up and walk away from them. You are not obliged to listen to profanity, nor is it dutiful to the parents or anyone else to stop with them whilst they do so.

Finally... I would make it clear your wife and any future kids come as a package, if they don't accept one there is no relationship with the other and you don't want your kids around people who might poison them against their mother or put a strain on that relationship.
    This

Odan
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    825 Post(s)

Assalam u alaikum,
    Please help
    Wa-alaikum Salaam

You not the only one going through this there are many men from all races and relihions in smmUe/similiar boat.

I must firstly ask, do you visit your folks even though they dont visit you?

If not, than, you are showng them that your wife has taken you away from them.

You must be a better Muslim and keep better ties even though you are living with your wife. This will show that she hasnt corrupted you.

You mum is hurting hence she is reacting this way. She feels that after all the years of bringing you up and taking care of this women has taken you away.

You need to she her that it is not the case.

you wife has rights and so fo your faily and kids.

Each one doesnt cancel the other.

If your family doesnt want to interact with your wife that's their choice. but, that doesnt absolve of taking care of your pareants and keeping ties with your relatives.

you can have a decent family and still keep contact with you family. Infact in some cases it is better and saves a lot of fitnah etc.

The first step is to show your mum that you do love her and you still care for her and you are still there for her.

Once she sees this and softens up Insha-Allah everyone else will follow suit.

Make dua that Allah takes awa all yours and the Ummahs problems.

Ameen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Assalam u alaikum,

Yes i do visit them. i live in a different city and both my wife's parents and my parents's live in a different city. I had to move due to work. when i go back i do go visit them. but since they have never called me and only when i call them do we ever talk there is a miss connect now where they are unaware of what is happening in my life. i did want to change that and shared a very big happiness with them when i was getting promoted and all i got was ok. it was hurtful as i was very excited and it was a huge deal to me. i am trying my best to always forget about he bad times and the arguments and keep trying to make things better but i do need a different approach as that is not working and i dont want them to use such foul language towards my wife. InshAllah I am hoping that when we have kids it might get better but slowly losing hope in that to

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Assalam u alaikum,

Yes i do visit them. i live in a different city and both my wife's parents and my parents's live in a different city. I had to move due to work. when i go back i do go visit them. but since they have never called me and only when i call them do we ever talk there is a miss connect now where they are unaware of what is happening in my life. i did want to change that and shared a very big happiness with them when i was getting promoted and all i got was ok. it was hurtful as i was very excited and it was a huge deal to me. i am trying my best to always forget about he bad times and the arguments and keep trying to make things better but i do need a different approach as that is not working and i dont want them to use such foul language towards my wife. InshAllah I am hoping that when we have kids it might get better but slowly losing hope in that to
    Brother carry on the way you are. You are doing right by keeping in contact and not cutting ties with your mum. As some posters have said just set boundaries.

You cannot make your mum stop using foul language towards your wife. Tell her it's sinful and if she persists then just walk away.

As hurtful as it is if your parents are nit interested in your success then don't tell them. Someone suggested reverse psychology. Try it for a while. When you ring them dont mention what's happening in your life or anything about your wife. Keep it simple to asking how your parents are. Make the conversation about them and not about you or your wife.

This is life and everything is not going to be happy families and rosie dosie all the time. Accept they don't accept your wife. Let it be. Make dua to Allah to soften their hearts towards your wife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mintchocchip View Post
    Brother carry on the way you are. You are doing right by keeping in contact and not cutting ties with your mum. As some posters have said just set boundaries.

You cannot make your mum stop using foul language towards your wife. Tell her it's sinful and if she persists then just walk away.

As hurtful as it is if your parents are nit interested in your success then don't tell them. Someone suggested reverse psychology. Try it for a while. When you ring them dont mention what's happening in your life or anything about your wife. Keep it simple to asking how your parents are. Make the conversation about them and not about you or your wife.

This is life and everything is not going to be happy families and rosie dosie all the time. Accept they don't accept your wife. Let it be. Make dua to Allah to soften their hearts towards your wife.
    Thank you.. yes i dont really want to cut ties with my parents as i am there only son which is why i am trying so hard for them to be a part of my life...i always stay away from the subject of my wife but they always some how relate it back to her...i get it as she is my wife alot of what goes on in my life is related to her and i have slowly just stopped sharing anything but i think that might make it worse as they will think its my wife who is asking me not to tell them anything so i am really not sure as to what to do and which way to go i have spoken to other relatives and asked them to talk to my parents but they have failed to convince them otherwise.. InshAllah Allah gives me the strength to fix this and make it better... thank you for all the comments and advise

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

These type of stories really sadden me. I know so many couples who experience this. It's tragic and NOT Islam. Have you tried reaching out to an imam that knows your parents and can talk to them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYC_Hijab View Post
    These type of stories really sadden me. I know so many couples who experience this. It's tragic and NOT Islam. Have you tried reaching out to an imam that knows your parents and can talk to them?
    I have not as I live n a different city. I did reach out to elders of my family ( sister, uncles ) but they have not listened to anyone of them and just shut me out. Inshallah I hope it gets better

P*ki is outta containment Arsalan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Assalam u alaikum,
    Please help
    PLease have some respect for readers and USE PARAGRAPHS
    "Closer and closer to mankind comes their Reckoning: yet they heed not and they turn away" (21:1)