Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    705 Post(s)

Art and Islam? (Painting, drawing etc.)

:

Brothers and Sisters, i would like to read some insights and discussion about this topic.
    I like painting and art, but also I know that in Islam, the majority opinion( and the opinion I follow) is not to make images of living creatures/ humans.

So what do you guys think is artistic and creative expression within the limits of Islam?
    Can it be used for good? Can it be healthy? Is it okay as a hobby? What kind of art is okay?
    Can I paint and have fun with certain boundaries? Would it be considered wasting time?

Input is appreciated

islamreligion.com eesa the kiwi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3627 Post(s)

Re: Art and Islam? (Painting, drawing etc.)

Why not paint landscapes

It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    701 Post(s)

You can do silhouettes of people - make sure that it doesn't show any revealing body parts. You can also draw cartoons for educating children, so like children books, I've seen some nifty Muslim artist make sketches of people where the head isn't connected, so you know they're not alive. You can do abstract painting, and portray your thoughts and emotions with shapes, and colors. As the kiwi above said, you can do landscapes, such as mountains, oceans, mountains with a lake, night sky filled with stars, or a full moon. And you can do Islamic Calligraphy. You can even do Islamic fashion if you want. Heck if you have the talent, you can practice designing electronics, cars, furniture, architecture, or even packaging for commercial products like milk cartons, soap bottles, and food.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    705 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abisali View Post
    You can do silhouettes of people - make sure that it doesn't show any revealing body parts. You can also draw cartoons for educating children, so like children books, I've seen some nifty Muslim artist make sketches of people where the head isn't connected, so you know they're not alive. You can do abstract painting, and portray your thoughts and emotions with shapes, and colors. As the kiwi above said, you can do landscapes, such as mountains, oceans, mountains with a lake, night sky filled with stars, or a full moon. And you can do Islamic Calligraphy. You can even do Islamic fashion if you want. Heck if you have the talent, you can practice designing electronics, cars, furniture, architecture, or even packaging for commercial products like milk cartons, soap bottles, and food.
    Thanks for the ideas bro.

(I don't think the heads disconnected from the body is nifty. It's pretty creepy)

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    701 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazuiz View Post
    Thanks for the ideas bro.

(I don't think the heads disconnected from the body is nifty. It's pretty creepy)
    https://youtu.be/Hp8s1CMw-6k

That video has an example of what I meant. It is a nifty alternative for artists