Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I am a niqabi but husband is asking to cover eyes too

Assalam Alykum brothers and sisters
    I am 22 and been married for over one year and started wearing niqab without eye veil from then as it was an arranged marriage and I was happy to comply when asked if I’ll wear more modest clothes post marriage. I used to wear colorful clothes that were lose fitting and hijab only. (I was brought up in a western country and moved to Middle East post marriage)
    And as promised before the marriage I now wear only lose black abaya, jilbab and a niqab even at home as we live with extended family members.
    And since few months he isn’t happy with the way my niqab is showing my eyes and told me he doesn’t like how other men stare at my eyes
    Alhmadulillah, he sees me in the most beautiful way and told me he wants to keep my beauty just for him.
    And he did explain to me very nicely that it’s said,
    “O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks(veils) all over their bodies(i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is the Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Quran 33:59)”

I tried covering one eye only for a day and it gave me a headache so I stopped doing it. And my husband isn’t happy with me and I feel guilty because I did promise before marriage I’d do it but I’m worried about covering eyes with an eye veil and going about my day. He even bought me a beautiful four layered expensive niqab couple of days back which is making me feel even more guilty because he is really caring and is a great husband.
    Am I doing wrong by not listening to him because I know my body should only be visible to my husband. Should I try wearing eye veil?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)

Re: I am a niqabi but husband is asking to cover eyes too

Quote Originally Posted by neelu View Post
    I don't like this at all. The Prophet (saw) ordered women in a hadith that in front of unrelated men, the women are obliged to cover and not show more than the face and hands. Aside from that there is difference of opinion on the ayah regarding covering as some schools of thought say it only obliges the head covering and jilbab whereas others say it obliges the covering of the face as well but leaving one or both eyes still showing. There is no ayah or hadith or any Islamic evidence which suggests Muslim women should cover their eyes. If in spite of that you still want to choose to do that for your husband then that's up to you- my personal opinion is that he's wrong to insist on this and if other men are giving you unwanted attention that is their sin not yours and you shouldn't be penalised for it. As others have said if your shoes or height or other aspects become a fitnah for men, then what? you stop leaving your house altogether? That is not Islam. If men are giving you the wrong sort of attention he should confront them, not you.

Anyway as you seem quite willing to try this then the niqabi sisters can inshaAllah offer suggestions on how to do this whether that means getting a layered niqab using a good fabric, wearing a burqa or wearing sunglasses or whatever else, but if those don't work for you, then you should really draw a line and he should show some concern for your health, not literally give you a headache over this.
    There is an ayat that says to cover one eye
    There is also quotes by scholars saying in history the muslim women would cover eyes

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Apples View Post
    Confused about something here -

A. Your husband knew what your eyes looked like at the very least before marriage
    B. He knew the accommodation he was going to provide

C. Why on earth didn't he specify the eye veil then ?
    Maybe he didnt know people would stare at her so much

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post
    Maybe he didnt know people would stare at her so much
    With that colour eyes in a land where people hardly have that colour - Errrrrrrrrrrrr Yeah right - I can see your point

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)

With that colour eyes in a land where people hardly have that colour - Errrrrrrrrrrrr Yeah right - I can see your point
    Some people dont think like that

Aithough i dont know why people care about eye color so fascinated just wear contacts

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Some people dont think like that
    That's what my Nanima says all the time !!!!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)

That's what my Nanima says all the time !!!!
    Nanima u mean grandmother?

If so where im from we say nanu

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

Nanima u mean grandmother?

If so where im from we say nanu
    Exactly

Mentioned
    1118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16456 Post(s)

You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Mentioned
    1118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16456 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneNiqabiMuslimah View Post
    I am 22 and been married for over one year and started wearing niqab without eye veil from then as it was an arranged marriage and I was happy to comply when asked if I’ll wear more modest clothes post marriage. I used to wear colorful clothes that were lose fitting and hijab only. (I was brought up in a western country and moved to Middle East post marriage)
    And as promised before the marriage I now wear only lose black abaya, jilbab and a niqab even at home as we live with extended family members.
    And since few months he isn’t happy with the way my niqab is showing my eyes and told me he doesn’t like how other men stare at my eyes
    Alhmadulillah, he sees me in the most beautiful way and told me he wants to keep my beauty just for him.
    “O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks(veils) all over their bodies(i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is the Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Quran 33:59)”

I tried covering one eye only for a day and it gave me a headache so I stopped doing it. And my husband isn’t happy with me and I feel guilty because I did promise before marriage I’d do it but I’m worried about covering eyes with an eye veil and going about my day. He even bought me a beautiful four layered expensive niqab couple of days back which is making me feel even more guilty because he is really caring and is a great husband.
    Am I doing wrong by not listening to him because I know my body should only be visible to my husband. Should I try wearing eye veil?
    It'll probably take some time to get used to, it's normal.
    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3695 Post(s)

I really have not tried it yet. I will try eye veil for a few days and if it doesn't seem to work I'll try talking about that. Thank you for this advice brother. I just wish there was some sister here who uses the eye veil so I could ask how long would it take to give it a proper chance, whether just a couple of days will do or will I need to try for a few weeks and then decide?
    It can be a bit difficult depending on what type of niqab you're wearing. If the material is good quality, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Are you out everyday? Also at night time it might be very difficult to see if your eyes are covered.
    There are other ways you can cover your eyes without having a whole layer over the top of the first layer. It's difficult to explain in writing.There are niqabs with a mesh thing only for the eyes as well.

If he expects you to cover your eyes even at home, that will be really difficult. Try it for a few days at least. It takes getting used to just like niqab without the eyes covered.
    It seems like you're new to niqab as a whole, so it's a bit of a jump tbh. You should find good reasons and motivation beyond your husband for why you wear niqab because the last thing you want to do is to burn out later or start having bad feelings towards your husband.
    شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
    فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
    وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
    ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)

I think that's a bit extreme, but if you wish, you can give it a try, and if you still feel uncomfortable, then explain that to your husband. If he's a good man like you said, he would understand, and wouldn't force on you something that isn't obligatory.

I have a question for you. How do you feel about having to wear niqab in your own house?

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3695 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Fatimah View Post
    Yes it very much is a false perception, but a lot of fitnah is. It doesn't beautify her eyes per se, but draws attention more to them. I remember a fairly aged man telling me (he was asking me about hijab) that he had been on holiday in Tunisia and everyday a woman dressed head to toe in black would come to their hotel. He was initially shocked by this as he hadn't seen this before in the West, but found himself waiting for her as her shoes became very attractive to him. They were not black and really stood out, attracting attention. I always tell sisters who wear niqab (especially if they are all in black or one particular colour) that they need to take particular care that their shoes/handbag/rings if they wear them do not attract attention.
    lol that's his problem, there's something wrong him. Who on earth is attracted to shoes.
    Sisters don't have to wear all black, unless you're talking about flashy heels and a bag with something inappropriate on it, I'm yet to see bags or shoes that can cause fitnah in the west. Most bags/shoes are just average ones. I wear all black most days but I don't own any black bags, I have them in all colours and sizes, it doesn't cause any problems. Rings should not be worn outside anyway.
    شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
    فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
    وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
    ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2043 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
    It'll probably take some time to get used to, it's normal.
    No it's not. The husband should try to ease the situation by getting all the external family members out or get a separate place instead of shoving his views/oppressing the wife. She already does what's necessary, anything more should be from her goodwill.
    ┳┻|
    ┻┳|•.•) Hello, Assalamu Alaikum! Check out this topic! #makethechanges
    ┳┻|⊂ノ
    ┻┳|
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...adan-Authentic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)

I don’t know , whether he just insecure or whether staring is excessive in Saudi. I can understand that in a place like Saudi, where most women are in Niqab, or at home, and there are lot of single men, staring has got to be a big problem.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

try it, can't be that bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uccello verde View Post
    Wa iyyaki dear ukhti
    I have been wearing niqab now almost 6 years, Alhamdulillah. My very 1st niqab was, this non-breathable, Subhana'Allah, which family member bought it from Qatar. I remember the very 1st day, I went out with it, I thought, I'm dying, where is all the air,lol. All those years, I was longing for that moment, and this is happening. I was making dua and in tears. It was so upsetting. Getting headaches and dizzy.
    Alhamdulillah, I went to my local Islamic clothes shop, brother had some good Saudi niqabs. There isn't comparison with quality, Subhana'Allah. When I changed my niqab, Subhana'Allah everything was so much easier. After, that I haven't had any problems with niqab, Alhamdulillah.
    Terms to get use to wearing it, it was matter of days, Alhamdulillah.( I was making Istikhara, before staring to wear it.)
    Ideally, you should have few spare ones, (laundry and etc. reason)

May Allah SWT make it easy for you and give you sabr, Ameen.
    I'm keeping all this in mind today while I'm wearing it so I don't get too frustrated too soon. Jazakallahu khair sister

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Confused about something here -

A. Your husband knew what your eyes looked like at the very least before marriage
    B. He knew the accommodation he was going to provide

C. Why on earth didn't he specify the eye veil then ?
    I think as I wasn't wearing niqab then it wasn't so prominent, plus no one stared at blue eyes till we got to Middle East.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juwairiyyah View Post
    I think that's a bit extreme, but if you wish, you can give it a try, and if you still feel uncomfortable, then explain that to your husband. If he's a good man like you said, he would understand, and wouldn't force on you something that isn't obligatory.

I have a question for you. How do you feel about having to wear niqab in your own house?
    I didn't really think about it when I started. When I lived with my uncle's family in U.K I didn't wear it at all and simply started wearing it after I got on the plane before landing here a couple of weeks after our nikah.
    I think maybe because it's a whole different experience with new place, family I took to it as a matter of fact. Plus I think I was doing wrong all these years of not observing proper hijab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
    It can be a bit difficult depending on what type of niqab you're wearing. If the material is good quality, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Are you out everyday? Also at night time it might be very difficult to see if your eyes are covered.
    There are other ways you can cover your eyes without having a whole layer over the top of the first layer. It's difficult to explain in writing.There are niqabs with a mesh thing only for the eyes as well.

If he expects you to cover your eyes even at home, that will be really difficult. Try it for a few days at least. It takes getting used to just like niqab without the eyes covered.
    It seems like you're new to niqab as a whole, so it's a bit of a jump tbh. You should find good reasons and motivation beyond your husband for why you wear niqab because the last thing you want to do is to burn out later or start having bad feelings towards your husband.
    And no I don't have to go out every day and for today for an example I restricted going out completely. I'm going to be slow with this because I'd rather not cross a busy street or something till I'm confident.

I didn't resent the niqab Alhamdulillah. So now I'll try to learn to accept the eye veil too. At least give my best try. The sisters I spoke to here gave me strength to go for it with a positive attitude which was what I truly needed when I searched for someone to talk about it.

Odan
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1111 Post(s)

I'm keeping all this in mind today while I'm wearing it so I don't get too frustrated too soon. Jazakallahu khair sister
    Wa iyyaki dear ukhti

If, you want to PM me feel free. In sha'Allah.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

I think as I wasn't wearing niqab then it wasn't so prominent, plus no one stared at blue eyes till we got to Middle East.
    The question wasn't directed to you - it was asking about his point of view

Odan
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1236 Post(s)

There is an ayat that says to cover one eye
    There is also quotes by scholars saying in history the muslim women would cover eyes
    Which ayah?

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)

Sounds like the men over there should all be wearing blindfolds if they don't know how to lower their gaze and take their petty insecurities out by unnecessarily restricting their own womenfolk. What he's expecting you to do is very inconsiderate at the very least.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abdulsidd View Post
    Which ayah?
    Surah ahzab 59
    Surah nur 31

Doesnt specificcslly say eye but some scholars say these verses talk about covering an eye as it says reduce vision also some scholars have quoted people of the salaf covering the eye

Odan
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1236 Post(s)

Surah ahzab 59
    Surah nur 31

Doesnt specificcslly say eye but some scholars say these verses talk about covering an eye as it says reduce vision also some scholars have quoted people of the salaf covering the eye
    Exactly. Be careful how you word things when making claims about Quran and Sunnah.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)

Ok

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)

Sounds like the men over there should all be wearing blindfolds if they don't know how to lower their gaze and take their petty insecurities out by unnecessarily restricting their own womenfolk. What he's expecting you to do is very inconsiderate at the very least.
    true that the most effective way to avoid fitna is lowering gaze, if he sees a man staring he should step up and tell the man to lower his gaze from his wife, not oppress his wife for someone elses sin.

no women says Ya Allah that man is causing me fitna tell him to cover up more than is fard. She simply lowers gaze outside. The same a man should do.
    Last edited by Um_Saf; 09-11-17 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)

There is a hadith in which a woman approached the Prophet (saw) to ask him a question when Fadl (the Prophet's travelling companion) saw her face and started staring at her. When the Prophet (saw) noticed this, he pulled Fadl's beard to turn his face away from her and told him that only the first glance is permitted. So he (saw) did not rebuke the woman for keeping her face uncovered and the onus was on the man to lower his gaze and not allow this situation to turn into fitnah. That is Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by Um_Saf View Post
    true that the most effective way to avoid fitna is lowering gaze, if he sees a man staring he should step up and tell the man to lower his gaze from his wife, not oppress his wife for someone elses sin.

no women says Ya Allah that man is causing me fitna tell him to cover up more than is fard. She simply lowers gaze outside. The same a man should do.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)

The Quranic verses do not say to cover the eyes- period

If a scholar says to cover the eye, that's the scholar's personal opinion, it's not because the verse of Quran says to cover the eye because the verses of Quran do not say to cover the eye or eyes. No offence to the salaf, but a few of the salaf are not Quran or Sunnah and not even ijma that could provide enough of a consensus to be sufficient as an evidence. Besides, the ayah on covering with the cloak is referring to women leaving their homes. There is absolutely no obligation or onus on women to cover their faces let alone their eyes when they are at home, even if non mahrams live there, but if non mahrams really are such a big problem, then really the wife should be living in separate accommodation such as a separate flat or something to allow her some privacy and also allow her husband's nephew some privacy to live in his flat with his mother without any concern about fitnah.

Surah ahzab 59
    Surah nur 31

Last edited by neelu; 09-11-17 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    904 Post(s)

Ok

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)

There is a hadith in which a woman approached the Prophet (saw) to ask him a question when Fadl (the Prophet's travelling companion) saw her face and started staring at her. When the Prophet (saw) noticed this, he pulled Fadl's beard to turn his face away from her and told him that only the first glance is permitted. So he (saw) did not rebuke the woman for keeping her face uncovered and the onus was on the man to lower his gaze and not allow this situation to turn into fitnah. That is Islam.
    JazakAllah Khairan for the hadith sister.
    The oppression of our fellow sisters must stop inshaAllah. True islam does not permit oppression and yet all too often the sisters do end up being so (maybe unknownly) simply because of the sheer ignorance of the deen itself.

The Ummah cannot understand why the world thinks islam regards women as less-when we know the truth. The reason is simple we are to blame many times for their view as women are without reason blamed and oppressed contrary to islam in the guise of gheerah or duty. Non-muslims don't read about islam-they see it. Its no wonder they don't believe it when we speak the truth as its not always practiced correctly over cultural stances.

They do not know how liberated and highly islam sees women when some rights are ignored.

Mentioned
    1118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16456 Post(s)

You can see the feminism trash in this thread as clearly as the sun during the day.

Mentioned
    1118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16456 Post(s)

This hadeeth is often quoted as proof of niqab not being obligatory; it is never used as proof that niqab is baseless.

Why do you misinterpret things?

Mentioned
    1118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16456 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cptn._.Mario View Post
    No it's not. The husband should try to ease the situation by getting all the external family members out or get a separate place instead of shoving his views/oppressing the wife. She already does what's necessary, anything more should be from her goodwill.
    Tell me that after you cover your eyes for a day.

Also, relatives or not, when she's going outside I don't think he'll suddenly be fine with her eyes in the open.

Mentioned
    1118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16456 Post(s)

The modern niqaab that we say nowadays makes the eyes very prominent. The women of the salaf didn't cover their faces like this. It's only natural that her husband feels jealous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Just hope the husband walks round with his gaze lowered.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1441 Post(s)

The modern niqaab that we say nowadays makes the eyes very prominent. The women of the salaf didn't cover their faces like this. It's only natural that her husband feels jealous.
    How did they cover their faces?

Muslim
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1753 Post(s)

Assalamu alaykum

Not sure why a person's ( Muslims ) character is attacked for wanting his wife to cover more. It does not necessarily make you oppressive or insecure. Perhaps this brother is a better Muslim then all of us , and is striving for the maximum for him and his family?

Sorry to say this , but not all women will respond well to taking orders. Of course he gave her Dawah and mentioned his concern ( that her eyes are displayed ) - perhaps it is better than "wear it , because I am ordering you to."

Many scholars believe niqaab is fardh , and correct me if I am wrong , but those who do not believe so , still say that it is mustaahab.

May Allah protect us from denigrating the religion and the tradition.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2043 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
    Assalamu alaykum

Not sure why a person's ( Muslims ) character is attacked for wanting his wife to cover more. It does not necessarily make you oppressive or insecure. Perhaps this brother is a better Muslim then all of us , and is striving for the maximum for him and his family?

Sorry to say this , but not all women will respond well to taking orders. Of course he gave her Dawah and mentioned his concern ( that her eyes are displayed ) - perhaps it is better than "wear it , because I am ordering you to."

Many scholars believe niqaab is fardh , and correct me if I am wrong , but those who do not believe so , still say that it is mustaahab.

May Allah protect us from denigrating the religion and the tradition.
    Wa alaikumsalam, you may be right. He could very well be better than all of us. Why doesnt he seek other solutions when he knows the wife is having a hard time due to HIS failure in securing a private environment (house)?
    ┳┻|
    ┳┻|⊂ノ
    ┻┳|

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2043 Post(s)

Tell me that after you cover your eyes for a day.

Also, relatives or not, when she's going outside I don't think he'll suddenly be fine with her eyes in the open.
    I'm speaking to the issue of covering eyes while being in the house.
    ┳┻|
    ┳┻|⊂ノ
    ┻┳|